• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Images: Starfield looks to me to be the most bold, beautiful and ambitious title on the horizon

Being optional means jack shit, it is still an option that millions of people are gonna chose for hundreds of hours.

And if we are being honest here, even the stealth has always been mediocre in bethesda titles so it's not like gunplay is the only weaker part of the gameplay.

I understand you want to play it as shooty shooty or sneaky sneaky game. On a guided path.

But if you will look at various developer diaries released you will notice they treat it like RPG, with endless possibilities. With guided path just one of them.

In previous games, you can go to jail, serve your time or break out, kill main quest giver, become vampire, find a cure or feed on people, get married...

So much stuff to do. Yet you compare it with games of limited scope. There is good reason why they have stuck to this engine.

You might not want to do all this stuff but there is audiance for RPGs. For whom they cater for.

Razvedka

Banned
While I agree they are being ambitious and the game looks amazing, lets not conveniently forget this is the same company that re-released Skyrim countless times.
Oh believe me, I'm not. Anymore I'm highly critical of Bethesda, I think they need some pretty serious internal reworking and Todd is is the same ilk as Sean Murray and Peter Molyneaux. Complete used car salesman and charlatan.

That said, it's undeniable to me that they dream big with each new game they develop, bugs and 6 year dev cycle aside. I try to be fair.

I'm also a bit concerned for Starfield too. That first trailer didn't blow my socks off and, despite the criticisms levied at the comparison, my mind did wander to NMS. I want to see what makes Starfield different, not told that it is or must be.

But the 'vision' is undeniably there to me.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I understand you want to play it as shooty shooty or sneaky sneaky game. On a guided path.

But if you will look at various developer diaries released you will notice they treat it like RPG, with endless possibilities. With guided path just one of them.

In previous games, you can go to jail, serve your time or break out, kill main quest giver, become vampire, find a cure or feed on people, get married...

So much stuff to do. Yet you compare it with games of limited scope. There is good reason why they have stuck to this engine.

You might not want to do all this stuff but there is audiance for RPGs. For whom they cater for.
Yeah save the sarcasm for other people dude, if you don't understand such a clear point like having decent gunplay in 2023 in a game where millions of people are gonna use guns for thousand of hours then we can just stop here, i have no interest in hearing the same lame excuse, i played many bethesda games, i know how they work.

If you are happy to have a basic part of the gameplay being mediocre then good for you, thank god we are not all the same, it's not like bethesda is an indie studios developing their first game, expectations change with time, it's time for bethesda to finally improve their weak points.

I played bethesda like games like elex and sequel so i'm ready for shitty combat anyway, but asking for an improvement in a videogame forum doesn't sound that crazy to me.

Last edited:
I played bethesda like games like elex and sequel so i'm ready for shitty combat anyway, but asking for an improvement in a videogame forum doesn't sound that crazy to me.

Not crazy, it fine to ask for improvement. And improve it will. Cause Fallout 4 was also a big improvement over it's predecessor.

Just pointing out it won't reach Rage 2 level. That's like, perfectly sculpted experience.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Yeah save the sarcasm for other people dude, if you don't understand such a clear point like having decent gunplay in 2023 in a game where millions of people are gonna use guns for thousand of hours then we can just stop here, i have no interest in hearing the same lame excuse, i played many bethesda games, i know how they work.

If you are happy to have a basic part of the gameplay being mediocre then good for you, thank god we are not all the same, it's not like bethesda is an indie studios developing their first game, expectations change with time, it's time for bethesda to finally improve their weak points.

The gunplay already looks like a clear step from Outer Worlds and Fallout 4 and those games were a lot of fun and big improvement over their predecessors. Especially when you teamed up with fellow NPC's. I think you should give it a chance before you dismiss it. Expecting the shooting to be as good as a shooter is unrealistic in the same way one should not expect the shooting in GTA and RDA to be as good as shooting focused TPS games because their scope is much broader.

You mentioned you liked Cyberpunk earlier which lacked even the most basic things like enemies trying to pursue you, or enemies that would spawn into existence in front of you.

Last edited:

GymWolf

The gunplay already looks like a clear step from Outer Worlds and Fallout 4 and those games were a lot of fun and big improvement over their predecessors. Especially when you teamed up with fellow NPC's. I think you should give it a chance before you dismiss it. Expecting the shooting to be as good as a shooter is unrealistic in the same way one should not expect the shooting in GTA and RDA to be as good as shooting focused TPS games because their scope is much broader.

You mentioned you liked Cyberpunk earlier which lacked even the most basic things like enemies trying to pursue you, or enemies that would spawn into existence in front of you.
It looks better than OW (easy task wuen combat in that game was trash) but not better than f4, some enemies don't even react to being shooted and zero gore, and f4 isn't some high standard really, being better than f3 was another super easy task considering how bad and clunky the combat was in that title.

I'm gonna buy the game at day one like everyone else here, the game has already a chance by default just for being an open world action rpg :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

It's because they already have my money in the bank that i hope for something better than what they showed.

Last edited:

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
It looks better than OW (easy task wuen combat in that game was trash) but not better than f4, some enemies don't even react to being shooted and zero gore, and f4 isn't some high standard really, being better than f3 was another super easy task considering how bad and clunky the combat was in that title.

I'm gonna buy the game at day one like everyone else here, the game has already a chance by default just for being an open world action rpg :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

It's because they already have my money in the bank that i hope for something better than what they showed.
It's extremely unlikey that the shooting won't be a marked improvement over FO4 considering they are just going to build on the same template. Especially basing this on "some enemies don't react to being hit" or "gore" as these the game is not complete and these attributes only make up a tiny portion of what constitutes as good gunplay as is.

GymWolf

It's extremely unlikey that the shooting won't be a marked improvement over FO4 considering they are just going to build on the same template. Especially basing this on "some enemies don't react to being hit" or "gore" as these the game is not complete and these attributes only make up a tiny portion of what constitutes as good gunplay as is.
Yeah i think that combat was like in alpha state, but you have to forgive me if i don't have full trust in bethesda considering their past combat system or the fact that the game is gonna be out in less than a year.

Sure gore is not super important, but hit reactions are and bethesda was never good with them, even in f4 (ironically f4 gunplay was visually decent because of the nice gore).

Andodalf

Banned
Just hoping it’s not No Man’s Sky 76.

(And after Cyberpunk, I refuse to get hype anymore.)

My post got fucking deleted cus an anonymous mod said that no one was actually making these comparisons.

Dear mr. Mod

Wanna make a post explaining yourself or taking about it some instead of just censoring shit cus you feel sensitive?
RLY10gv.jpg

I’d love to just DM the kid but they don’t say. I can only guess my post was the only one you’ve read since the trailer dropped if you believe that. And even so, what the fuck is up with that censorship? Didn’t we fucking go through this shit years ago?

johnjohn

Lol what? The gunplay in this looks so much better than F4. It legitimately looked pretty good in general, not just for a Bethesda game.

b0uncyfr0

'Considering the sheer breadth of content this game is going to have, the complex NPC structure and persistent living, breathing worlds that Bethesda brings'

Just stop. You've seen NONE of these yet. There is absolutely zero evidence this is the case and to believe so, with Bethesda's latest track record is gullible.

GymWolf

'Considering the sheer breadth of content this game is going to have, the complex NPC structure and persistent living, breathing worlds that Bethesda brings'

Just stop. You've seen NONE of these yet. There is absolutely zero evidence this is the case and to believe so, with Bethesda's latest track record is gullible.

If you were not impressed by the complex npc structure, and persistent living breathing world in their latest games that's kinda on you.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Ok....but surely are expectations are higher than "better than FO4", right?

Well, looking at it from the pov that "it's better than this studio's last game", that's a win.

Realistically I'm not expecting this to play like Doom Eternal or anything. But if the combat is serviceable and doesn't come off like a hindrance in any way, what else can you ask for in a massive RPG which has so many other components as well.

The space combat component is what I'm looking forward to, whether its still bad like the leaks from before or if they've improved upon it.

Last edited:

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news

Literally every Todd Howard Bethesda single player RPG has complex NPC structure and persistent, living, breathing worlds.

That's kind of their thing.

Laptop1991

The gun play was never COD standard anyway and Fallout 4's was better than previous games, but they showed that off in Fallout 4 too much at the expense of the rpg/immersiveness and world for me, there is literally enemies almost every 20 feet to shoot who don't interact with each other, that's why i've always thought of F4 as a shooter with base building instead of an RPG, anyway if your low spec in hand or long guns in Bethesda's SP games, your suppose to be bad and miss mostly!

I highly doubt they will release Starfield with the shooting mechanics as we saw on the 12th, they would get slaughtered for it.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole

It's a Bethesda RPG at it's core... that is what their fans enjoy out of their WRPGs.. and Howard said repeatedly this is at it's core another Skyrim/Fallout Betheda RPG template game.

Not sure why anyone wouldn't expect more of that, Fallout 76 was done by a b-team and was tackling being an MMO-lite... this is the Skyrim team on this game.

Kuranghi

Literally every Todd Howard Bethesda single player RPG has complex NPC structure and persistent, living, breathing worlds.

That's kind of their thing.

I think what Gymmy means is those "cities" could just be a few streets, like all the other games they've made. Is there anything to suggest thats not true? I'm not trying to be a nob, I'm genuinely asking if we know or not.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
I think what Gymmy means is those "cities" could just be a few streets, like all the other games they've made. Is there anything to suggest thats not true? I'm not trying to be a nob, I'm genuinely asking if we know or not.
The last Todd Howard single player rpg that wasn't post apocalyptic was Skyrim and there were plenty of nice sized, lively cities in it.

More importantly, every building was explorable and NPC's lived in and out of their homes on a schedule (which is exactly what I wanted from Cyberpunk and got absolutely nothing instead).

I can only imagine this will only be further expanded on in Starfield.
7399f12b91c73976f9348f9ca9d2c8e9f0a4cf17.gif

Last edited:

hussar16

I know what you mean, but I think it adds to the look of the game. I think each planet almost has like a different filter over it.
i hated it in fallout 4 and hate it here. it stays the same tho if it changed planet to planet i would not mind

Md Ray

My post got fucking deleted cus an anonymous mod said that no one was actually making these comparisons.

Dear mr. Mod

Wanna make a post explaining yourself or taking about it some instead of just censoring shit cus you feel sensitive?
RLY10gv.jpg

I’d love to just DM the kid but they don’t say. I can only guess my post was the only one you’ve read since the trailer dropped if you believe that. And even so, what the fuck is up with that censorship? Didn’t we fucking go through this shit years ago?
Hot Girl Dance GIF by Megan Thee Stallion

eNT1TY

Materials and lighting look good by any standard, character models and environments look decent enough in a "for bethesda" way. At the very least it looks a good bit better than Halo Infinite and that game has zero planets.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Last time I checked Bethesda and CDPR are not the same developer.

Bethesda has a proven track record making some of the most immersive RPG's around. CDPR not so much.

This is like saying we can't get hyped for any game because CDPR dropped the ball with Cyberpunk.
My bad, I didnt realized that Fallout 76, the very last game of bethesda, had launched with almost no bugs and acclaimed reception ...

And thats the point... people will never learn to keep their HYPE in check, waiting to see if the game is really good or a buggy mess ... nothing wrong in championing a very good game AFTER launch, but some developers with a not so perfect track record of lately just have to trow the bait and people will bite reaaaaly f* easy ...

Last edited:

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
My bad, I didnt realized that Fallout 76, the very last game of bethesda, had launched with almost no bugs and acclaimed reception ...

And thats the point... people will never learn to keep their HYPE in check, waiting to see if the game is really good or a buggy mess ... nothing wrong in championing a very good game AFTER launch, but some developers with a not so perfect track record of lately just have to trow the bait and people will bite reaaaaly f* easy ...
Fallout 76 wasn't Todd or the main team.

they gave it to their side studio in Austin while the main studio focused on Starfield. It was originally supposed to be a multiplayer mode for Fallout 4 that became its own game.

I expect it's going to be a lot like previous Bethesda games for me; in some ways it will be pretty average, but the sum of its parts will make for a great game.

Topher

Gold Member
Well, looking at it from the pov that "it's better than this studio's last game", that's a win.

Realistically I'm not expecting this to play like Doom Eternal or anything. But if the combat is serviceable and doesn't come off like a hindrance in any way, what else can you ask for in a massive RPG which has so many other components as well.

The space combat component is what I'm looking forward to, whether its still bad like the leaks from before or if they've improved upon it.

The space combat is what I'm looking forward to the most as well. That and shipbuilding, upgrading, all that is where this game is going to shine, I think.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Fallout 76 wasn't Todd or the main team.
Fair enough... if you want to believe that one team has no quality control whatsoever and can launch a buggy mess of a game and todds team will have top notch control and this time lunch a prime product day one, thats more then fair ... I still think that after fallout 76 all of us should have some restraint and wait before getting on the "GOAT" train ... but to each their own

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Fair enough... if you want to believe that one team has no quality control whatsoever and can launch a buggy mess of a game and todds team will have top notch control and this time lunch a prime product day one, thats more then fair ... I still think that after fallout 76 all of us should have some restraint and wait before getting on the "GOAT" train ... but to each their own
It's a multiplayer game made by a different team.

The main team responsible for Skyrim and Fallout moved over to Starfield, so I have no doubt whatsoever that that's the kind of followup we'll be seeing. Not only in terms of developers, but in terms of the structure of the game itself. Fallout 76 was an experimental game by a company trying their hand at a multiplayer experience. There's no reason at all to think this has any reflection on Starfield.

Ok. Why does this post read like an advertisement?
Because it is🤷🏿‍♂️
Concur. In an age of soulless remakes, sequels, and play-it-safe design by committee trash Bethesda is still aiming for the stars. Flaws aside, they still are ambitious.
Ambitious? It looks like Outer Worlds with better graphics. What am I missing?
I remember when everyone got excited for Mass Effect Andromeda.
Damn
This made me laugh harder than it should.
Iunno, the “movie” games seem much more fun than anything I saw on Starfield. Like, it doesn’t look like shovelware or anything, but it seems ho-hum. The whole Fallout/TES basically peaked with New Vegas imo. But people really loved F4, so…

Last edited:

Warablo

Since we're talking about combat. I think the first few encounters the enemies didn't even react. Mostly because I think the enemies were mid animation crouched over. The shotgun switch, expected something more than the enemy just falling over. When they did react (shoulder hits/sway) it was okay especially against a SMG, but I think people expected some Fallout gore punch or something. At least for the bigger guns.

Also not sure with that grenade toss and the guy flying, no idea if they are trying to show off the less gravity of the planet or just funky engine physics.

Last edited:

Razvedka

Banned
Because it is🤷🏿‍♂️

Damn

Iunno, the “movie” games seem much more fun than anything I saw on Starfield. Like, it doesn’t look like shovelware or anything, but it seems ho-hum. The whole Fallout/TES basically peaked with New Vegas imo. But people really loved F4, so…
Scope.

I'm right there with you on the criticisms. I'm not going to defend it's graphics or animations.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Because it is🤷🏿‍♂️

Damn

Bethesda games are ambitious as is.

How many other games do all of the above: let you enter every single building? Let you speak with every NPC? Have NPC's that you can randomly quest with and that live on schedules?

It looks a hell of a lot bigger than Outer Worlds (it is) has actual space travel, with ship and base building on top of that.

TLDR An ultra fleshed out Outer Worlds with better production values and combat is a dream game.

Scope.

I'm right there with you on the criticisms. I'm not going to defend it's graphics or animations.
Right. I think the world and quests will make or break this game.
Bethesda games are ambitious as is.

How many other games do all of the above: let you enter every single building? Let you speak with every NPC? Have NPC's that you can randomly quest with and that live on schedules?

It looks a hell of a lot bigger than Outer Worlds (it is) has actual space travel, with ship and base building on top of that.

TLDR An ultra fleshed out Outer Worlds with better production values and combat is a dream game.
Only Bethesda games afaik. I don’t have the energy to suffer through the bad combat and visuals to get to the good stuff anymore. Is it too much to have halfway decent combat and all that other stuff? Idk, I’m gonna chill for a bit, don’t want to make it seem like I’m raining on someone’s parade here.

abcdrstuv

Banned
Idk, obviously there's one more big reveal - bigger - to come before launch. But I don't know if it's going to be Skyrim in space or Fallout 4 in space. They're very different games - Skyrim had so much more depth and variety in its quests and quest lines, they had cities, and towns, and settlements - having a fully populated world lets you do a little more, but the writing was more original, creative, surprising.. is Starfield going to have outposts, "colonies", solitary off-the-grid homesteaders, the "weirdness" of New Vegas or Skyrim - or is it going to be a mediocre action game with by the numbers faction quests and charmless repetition? They've gone from Skyrim to Fallout 76 in the last decade..

Drizzlehell

Banned
Crafting and base building mechanics was like the primary reason why I abandoned Fallout 4 before I even finished the main story. Seeing very similar mechanics on those previews immediately gave me that sinking feeling of disappointment because I bet you 10,000 dollars that you won't be able to just ignore them and focus on exploration and questing, and the game will push those on the player at some point during the story.

Last edited:
Top Bottom