• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Images: Starfield looks to me to be the most bold, beautiful and ambitious title on the horizon

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Ok....but surely our expectations are more than simply "better than FO4", right?

Its the type of games they are.
Its like from games like elden ring. They continue to have issues, but people still love them for other reasons.

If you dont like these games yourself you're going to have a hard time justifying it or finding agreement to fans of the games.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Its the type of games they are.
Its like from games like elden ring. They continue to have issues, but people still love them for other reasons.

If you dont like these games yourself you're going to have a hard time justifying it or finding agreement to fans of the games.

I haven't read a single time where Bethesda ha said Starfield is a Fallout 4 type of game.

Apart from the poor framerate, its hard to judge how good the gunplay feels.

John does mention a few things in his analysis for why its improved over fallout 4 though.

I'll have to go back and watch again. I must have missed that. I hope so.

Sosokrates

I haven't read a single time where Bethesda ha said Starfield is a Fallout 4 type of game.

I'll have to go back and watch again. I must have missed that. I hope so.

Since when for something to be true it requires a dev to say it is?

You dont think starfield has similarities with fallout 4?

But that does not really counter my point anyway. You arent aware that there are games in which are not strong in all aspects? But gamers still love them because, other parts of the game are the main draw!

Bethesda games have never been about there great movement and combat feel that isnt VATS.

I can tell you now though if Fallout4's free combat (none VATS) was an issue for you then so will starfields.

For my self personally fallout 4s free combat was fine, especially at 60fps.
The last time I had an issue eityh gunplay was battlefield 2 on the 360. Though its framerate was probably a big issue there.

Fallouts 4s accuracy and hit detection felt fine to me.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Since when for something to be true it requires a dev to say it is?

You dont think starfield has similarities with fallout 4?

But that does really counter my point anyway. You arent aware that there are games in which are not strong in all aspects? But gamers still love them because, other parts of the game are the main draw.

Bethesda games have never been about there great movement and combat feel that isnt VATS.

I can tell you now though if Fallout4's free combat (none VATS) was an issue for you then so will starfields.

For my self personally fallout 4s free combat was fine, especially at 60fps.
The last time I had an issue eith gunplay was battlefield 2 on the 360. Though its framerate was probably a big issue there.

Fallouts 4s accuracy and hit detection felt fine to me.

If the dev is the only source of information then yeah, they pretty much have to tell me what the game is like if I cannot derive it from watching the video. The gunplay that I saw looks like any shooter. If there is something I'm missing then I look forward to getting more information.

And I'm not attempting to "counter" any point you are making. What I don't know about the gunplay is more than what I do know. Either way, like I said earlier in the thread, the star of this game will be the spaceships. That's the part that excites me the most. I'm fine with generic gunplay as long as they nail the space aspect.

Sosokrates

If the dev is the only source of information then yeah, they pretty much have to tell me what the game is like if I cannot derive it from watching the video. The gunplay that I saw looks like any shooter. If there is something I'm missing then I look forward to getting more information.

And I'm not attempting to "counter" any point you are making. What I don't know about the gunplay is more than what I do know. Either way, like I said earlier in the thread, the star of this game will be the spaceships. That's the part that excites me the most. I'm fine with generic gunplay as long as they nail the space aspect.

I dont know this, but im confident that the free gunplay of Starfield will be about the same as Fallout4's, maybe slightly improved.

What John was talking about was the visual design and animation of the guns look better to him, he said "its starting to look like a proper shooter now"

So if you expect significant changes in how the gunplay feels compares to fallout4 I wouldn't. If you expect fallout 4 gunplay you cant be disappointed.

I just hope we get at least a solid 30fps. But a 60fps mode would be preferable even if it does dip.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Has op ever played a Bethesda game before? i love me some Elder Scrolls games, played em all but Bethesda games always look a generation older than their peers and play janky as fuck when they come out, its the modding scene that makes their games look amazing

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Has op ever played a Bethesda game before? i love me some Elder Scrolls games, played em all but Bethesda games always look a generation older than their peers and play janky as fuck when they come out, its the modding scene that makes their games look amazing
Yeah I have and that's why I'm looking forward to this so much.

How many other games let you interact with every building, NPC, and item that Bethesda games do with such persistent open worlds?

These are some of the most ambitious games ever created which is why they suffer in certain areas, and this looks to be Bethesda's biggest and best title ever.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Yeah I have and that's why I'm looking forward to this so much.

How many other games let you interact with every building, NPC, and item that Bethesda games do with such persistent open worlds?

These are some of the most ambitious games ever created which is why they suffer in certain areas, and this looks to be Bethesda's biggest and best title ever.
I for one am looking to play it also, after a year or two down the line when its been patched, fixed and the modding scene has got to grips with it, with the fact that this is Bethesda's biggest game to date you just know its gonna be a dumpster fire on release... well, i like to think now that MS is running the show they'll know not to let those guys release it in the state they usually release games in

I'm extremely excited about it. Too bad its still almost a year away.

I've loved every Bethesda game from Morrowind to Oblivion to Skyrim. Although I can say that I am keeping my excitement in check just in case.

Also, there are so many negative folks out there just bashing on the game, they've made it so that I simply don't even talk about the game online. Their negativity is just exhausting.

You'd figure that since they hate the game so much, they would simply not talk about it and not buy it. But no, that's not enough. The nicest thing I can say is that they're simply bizarre.

Ozriel

M$FT
Most bold and beautiful? Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Adding space dog fights to fallout is kind of ambitious, maybe.

You’ll have a hard time convincing anyone that Starfield isn’t ambitious in scope. Or that it is ‘fallout with space dogfights’

If it’s an affordability issue, Why not save up for a used Series S instead of having to make these type of hilarious posts?

Last edited:

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Most bold and beautiful? Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Adding space dog fights to fallout is kind of ambitious, maybe.
On the most basic level, FO4 takes place in a post apocalyptic wasteland while Starfield allows you to travel through alien planets, spacescapes, lively futuristic cities and even some with Cyberpunk inspired art. I know which of the two I'd rather explore.

Then you'll have improved combat, space combat, ship building and a larger area to explore, not to mention the fact that the quests are being done by the talent behind the Fallout 4 DLC, which was by far the best part of the game.

I for one am looking to play it also, after a year or two down the line when its been patched, fixed and the modding scene has got to grips with it, with the fact that this is Bethesda's biggest game to date you just know its gonna be a dumpster fire on release... well, i like to think now that MS is running the show they'll know not to let those guys release it in the state they usually release games in
I can see some people wanting to wait for the most polished version of the game, but that can be said for most games, and for myself, I'm so starved for a game like this, I'll gladly put up with some early launch jank so I can enjoy the launch hype with most others and not have to wait years to play it.

Last edited:

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
no-mans-sky.jpg

GymWolf

That’s not really true. Oblivion was one of the first next-gen games that we saw back in 2004/05, and most people were blown away by the first screenshots:

101894.jpg

apps.48458.67239414110062952.96aaa173-4598-4591-add8-4e72f4c963c7.6a9dd780-1e55-4bb6-9856-5df7a22c7fbf

oblivion2-614x345.jpg

There was no open world game that looked anywhere near as good as Oblivion at the time.
Yeah oblivion was the white fly of bethesda games.

Caio

The Game will be huge, and like any huge game, a lot of effort is needed to polish the Game, and be sure the overall quality is consistent along all missions, side missions, exploration, dialogues, story, story telling; I really hope they will take all the possible time to accomplish this and make us happy ah ah :D

Fredrik

Yeah oblivion was the white fly of bethesda games.
Oblivion looked great because it was the first game with an all new iteration of their engine.
The exact same thing is happening with Starfield. 👍

As for the concerns and negativity.
Don’t people like Mass Effect here?
Don’t people like No Man’s Sky here?
Don’t people like Skyrim here?
As a fan of them all I’d say it’s the ultimate combo. I just want to see some cool magic or cybernetics or something that makes the human shootouts look less like Call of Duty with astronauts.

Last edited:
GAF Starfield threads feel like I'm stuck in the, "Sir, this is a Wendy's," meme.

"Why isn't the shooting as tight as COD or Halo?"
Sir, this is a Bethesda RPG.

"Why can't you seamlessly transition down to planets?"

"Why doesn't it look as good as a 15 hour long AAA narrative game?"

Sosokrates

A game does not have to have the best tech to be appreciated visually.

What the content is and art style are big factors too.

There arnt many sci fi futuristic space games that offer what starfield is showing, available.

Last edited:
Seems so promising, I hope there is meaningful stuff on the extra planets. My main curiosity will be seeing if the game launches without bugs/crashes as Bethesda games usually do.

Fredrik

Seems so promising, I hope there is meaningful stuff on the extra planets. My main curiosity will be seeing if the game launches without bugs/crashes as Bethesda games usually do.
Every game has bugs at launch nowdays, even GOTY Elden Ring had a ton of bugs and they’re still doing bug fixes 3 months later.
I definitely don’t expect a bug free Starfield launch. It’s a hell is freezing over scenario. I would almost be disappointed if there was no bugs, won’t ever forget stepping into Skyrim and seeing a Mammoth fly around like a leaf in the wind 😁 Crashes I could be without though.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Every game has bugs at launch nowdays, even GOTY Elden Ring had a ton of bugs and they’re still doing bug fixes 3 months later.
I definitely don’t expect a bug free Starfield launch. It’s a hell is freezing over scenario. I would almost be disappointed if there was no bugs, won’t ever forget stepping into Skyrim and seeing a Mammoth fly around like a leaf in the wind 😁 Crashes I could be without though.
Yeah, there is a ton of jank in From games in general that gets overlooked because it's an industry darling type game. Bethesda games do a ton more as far as your interaction with the world and the worlds interaction with you, so it's understandable.

GermanZepp

Cringe titlle OP, but the game looks awesome. Hopefully the planets are full of secrets and the gunplay is improved. The spaceship building and flying looks very cool. Wish i had a series S to try it.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yeah, there is a ton of jank in From games in general that gets overlooked because it's an industry darling type game. Bethesda games do a ton more as far as your interaction with the world and the worlds interaction with you, so it's understandable.
From and jank?

Gameplay Jank? GTFO of here.

Fredrik

I mean it’s all in the eye of the beholder, if I look closely I can find bugs and jank even in my all time #1 Super Metroid. But I’m fully capable of ignore that and focus on what makes it awesome, just like with Skyrim, TW3, even Cyberpunk.

Some are only focusing on the bad parts though. And I’m sure we’ll see plenty of Youtube videos, Twitter clips and gifs and laughing emojis here after the Starfield launch no matter how great it is. It is what it is. But I was there at launch enjoying No Man’s Sky, I was there enjoying Cyberpunk, and I’ll be there enjoying Starfield. On PC, with modders making things better.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Considering the sheer breadth of content this game is going to have, the complex NPC structure and persistent living, breathing worlds that Bethesda brings, I can say without a doubt that this is my most hyped game and perhaps my first true glimpse into next gen. I loved The Outer Worlds and this looks to outdo it in every way imaginable. Even the combat is a huge step up, not to mention the addition of space flight and thousand planets to explore. Forget what they told ya, I think we just may be in for the game of the forever.

e75b65ac449ea08d055658a4c57ad0159e75d9ce.jpeg

4291e3481c6eb8787cc7238d77f63b55e699ebbd.gif

ea9b6bce04b9c0714e36d48c4ba3a34b773f4e31.gif

7399f12b91c73976f9348f9ca9d2c8e9f0a4cf17.gif

38cd0820a52ff26350462445567f0cb87dbfc235.gif

622e6f1acce9c852f2a48ec0ddb26bfb2cdfda7c.gif

fe0402cceda548e3dcfebe44718cd7faa5070be7.gif

5c3cfbef3448c54b569dfc5c636da77c67c7ade8.gif

fde3b28812b1d82b51f673aaac41780f7b97aa29.gif

8f6b9040f3161b938d2172f8a132009051af3e55.gif

42ec4e77819b1bc894e6d53e5f72c0b55f1c9574.gif

b519c18e4f6caf075ec8ad19064131270aaa541d.jpeg

Starfield_02_Cockpit.jpg

Starfield_01_GravJump.jpg

Starfield_03_Destruction.jpg

Starfield_04_Temple.jpg

Thzog4f.jpg

vXLWzCG.jpg

5Zt0R1P.jpg

VWsuFni.jpg

6te0eg3.jpg

3hgh6BL.jpg

opJbzx4.jpg

N022yq6.jpg

UOAdfM4.jpg

h9Plsky.jpg

S81DUK8.jpg

8a0HrDc.jpg

li69I0k.jpg

QenbXka.jpg

6iBJHGL.jpg

Starfield_05_Mountains.jpg

aef460f6b9cdd18e69961b54af5c5473cc01d5e9.jpeg
🤦‍♂️

I'm excited for most of what I saw, except the part where the player snuck up on space pirates and they rushed him til they died. Gunplay feel is one thing, enemy AI is another, and Bethesda really needs to up their game there since I'm sure there's gonna be lots of shoot bang.

A game does not have to have the best tech to be appreciated visually.

What the content is and art style are big factors too.

There arnt many sci fi futuristic space games that offer what starfield is showing, available.
Yeah I mean I can't think of many RPG set in space. Most RPG are fantasy not SF.

I'm sorry but I can't get past the Creation Engine. As bland and uninspiring as the story of Forbidden West was, the landscapes were truly breathtaking and make CE look like a creaking old relic.

Fredrik

I'm sorry but I can't get past the Creation Engine. As bland and uninspiring as the story of Forbidden West was, the landscapes were truly breathtaking and make CE look like a creaking old relic.
The upside of their engine going by past iterations is how it handles objects and give them physics and mod capabilities are said to be even better now. Plus, new engine is putting out near Cyberpunk-level visuals 👌 I’d say we have nothing to worry about there, except maybe performance.

Top Bottom