• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

IMAX F9 Will Include an Extended Preview of Jurassic World: Dominion

IDKFA

Jan 15, 2017
I hope this is a lot better than the last movie. I actually felt insulted while watching that one in theaters.

I'm with you on that. I consider Fallen Kingdom to be the worst film in the JP franchise. It was okay when they were on the island, but the part in the Lockwood estate was just pure nonsense.

Reactions: Halo is Dead

RJMacready73

Jun 25, 2020
cant wait to take the kids to see this, love the Jurassic Park/World movies but man nothing will ever come close to the cinematic event that was seeing the first one in the cinema, i wish they'd release this clip to youtube id love to see it

Last edited:
Reactions: pesaddict

MrFancypants

Gold Member
Dec 17, 2019
Not Oxford
You're still better than Fallen Kingdom.
How can one man be so wrong? Everything, literally everything, about JP3 sucked balls. The missing kid, the annoying parents, the douche who stole the raptor egg, Alan impersonating a raptor, the kid being carried by the pterodactyl, the whole fucking pterodactyl aviary, and finally INGEN showing up at the end as a military organisation because oo-rah, amiryte?

Reactions: Come On Tars

RJMacready73

Jun 25, 2020
How can one man be so wrong? Everything, literally everything, about JP3 sucked balls. The missing kid, the annoying parents, the douche who stole the raptor egg, Alan impersonating a raptor, the kid being carried by the pterodactyl, the whole fucking pterodactyl aviary, and finally INGEN showing up at the end as a military organisation because oo-rah, amiryte?
but the spinosaurus was cool as fuck though

Reactions: IDKFA

IDKFA

Jan 15, 2017

It's okay to have a wrong opinion.

JP3 was bad, but at least it was a coherent story. It was people trapped on a island with Dinosaurs. That's it.

Fallen Kingdom just became an incorrect mess when we get to the Lockwood estate.

People bidding for Dinosaurs? Some of the bids were cheaper than a hyper sports car! It's a fucking Dinosaur and your bidding peanuts for it. Why are they bidding for Dinosaurs anyway? Do they know how to keep them alive? What are they going to use a Ankylosauria for after winning the bid?

Oh, but how about the Indaraptor! Let's bid for a Dinosaur that will attack any target that you point a laser at with a gun........but if you have a laser pointed at your target why not just shoot them? Why go through the mess of having a dinosaur rip your target to shreds?

What was Owen's plan again? Ah yes. Release a Pachycephalosaurus into the bidding area and cause carnage. How many lives did that cost? Why not just call the police/military to shut it down?

Shall I continue?

• Triggered
Reactions: MrFancypants

Kimahri

Jul 27, 2020
Moat of this is true. But it had really cool raptors. That saved the movie enough to be better than Fallen Kingdom.

Kimahri

Jul 27, 2020
But Fallen Kingdom has the indoraptor. That trumps everything.
Jeff Goldblum Yes GIF by Jurassic World

IDKFA

Jan 15, 2017
god this movie is going to be so bad.

Got to be better than Fallen Kingdom. That film was the JP franchise hitting creative bedrock. No way it can be worse than that film.

On another note, the prologue set in the late Cretaceous makes me hopeful for Apple's Prehistoric Planet. That's what I envision when I think of a spiritual sequel of Walking with Dinosaurs.

Kimahri

Jul 27, 2020
I enjoy the JP movies, I allow myself to suspend disbelief, but a lot of the CGI in that could have been a lot better.
I only noticed two instances. The proto feathers on the rex look weird close up, and that big herd of Nasutoceratops, the ones in the background are reaaaally low fps.

But that's it. I think it all looked much better than the previous films.

IDKFA

Jan 15, 2017
And yet Fallen Kingdom was superior to JP3 in every sense of the word. So Dominion could in fact be worse than Fallen Kingdom.

They're both bad movies, but JP3 is slightly better due to it being a coherent narrative, where Fallen Kingdom is just riddled with plot holes and has a nonsensical plot.

You're not going to convince me otherwise and I'm not going to convince you either, so let's agree to disagree.

MrFancypants

Gold Member
Dec 17, 2019
Not Oxford
They're both bad movies, but JP3 is slightly better due to it being a coherent narrative, where Fallen Kingdom is just riddled with plot holes and has a nonsensical plot.

You're not going to convince me otherwise and I'm not going to convince you either, so let's agree to disagree.
Coherent narrative? A retarded mother and father take their son to a dinosaur-infested island and are shocked when shit goes south, and go full retard when trying to find him. Woman, there’s a pack of raptors out there, don’t make a sound. SON, WHERE ARE YOU!? I’LL FIND YOU JUST AS SOON AS I’M DONE GIVING AWAY OUR LOCATION. And don’t get me started on egg their. There’s nothing coherent about any of it. At least with Fallen Kingdom, you had the message that money equals greed equals power, in the bidders trying to own the biggest and best dinosaurs.

And I lol’d at nonsensical. This is a movie franchise about dinosaurs coming back to life. Saying something in the film is nonsensical is like saying a space battle scene in Star Wars wasn’t realistic enough.

IDKFA

Jan 15, 2017
Coherent narrative? A retarded mother and father take their son to a dinosaur-infested island and are shocked when shit goes south, and go full retard when trying to find him. Woman, there’s a pack of raptors out there, don’t make a sound. SON, WHERE ARE YOU!? I’LL FIND YOU JUST AS SOON AS I’M DONE GIVING AWAY OUR LOCATION. And don’t get me started on egg their. There’s nothing coherent about any of it. At least with Fallen Kingdom, you had the message that money equals greed equals power, in the bidders trying to own the biggest and best dinosaurs.

And I lol’d at nonsensical. This is a movie franchise about dinosaurs coming back to life. Saying something in the film is nonsensical is like saying a space battle scene in Star Wars wasn’t realistic enough.

You're repeating yourself. Calm down. They're just films. No need to get so uptight over it.

We all have different opinions and mine differ from your own on this subject. You're going to have live with people having different opinions to your own. It's part of life.

As I said before, we're going to have to agree to disagree.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Jun 9, 2006
Prosper, Tx

you both are talking about which shit smells worse, both films are public porta potty diaharia level of bad. Arguing which is worse seems almost pointless when both are at this level of bad.

Platinumstorm

Oct 19, 2011
I only noticed two instances. The proto feathers on the rex look weird close up, and that big herd of Nasutoceratops, the ones in the background are reaaaally low fps.

But that's it. I think it all looked much better than the previous films.

I thought the brachiosaur's legs in the mud looked really rough, as well as the pteranadons and the landscape they were sitting on.

Kimahri

Jul 27, 2020
This franchise has become so bad, it makes me feel better as a Star Wars fan. Wow that prologue video looks awful.
What exactly is it that looks bad? I see people saying this, but I've seen it plenty of times now and I just don't get it. The cgi is a huge imprivement, the design of the rex is much better in the current say part. And well, the rest is just scenes od dinosaura beinf animals.

What's so bad about it?

I'd rather watch this on repeat for 9 hours than watch another star wars hatefanfic from jj abrams and rian johnson.

PaddyOCanager

Apr 26, 2010
Ohio
What exactly is it that looks bad? I see people saying this, but I've seen it plenty of times now and I just don't get it. The cgi is a huge imprivement, the design of the rex is much better in the current say part. And well, the rest is just scenes od dinosaura beinf animals.

What's so bad about it?

I'd rather watch this on repeat for 9 hours than watch another star wars hatefanfic from jj abrams and rian johnson.
The CGI looks so bad in my opinion and the dinosaurs are boring. I couldn't roll my eyes hard enough when the Rex showed up in the drive in and started flipping cars while people were making out, eating popcorn, etc. It's become a joke at this point and the franchise no longer takes itself seriously.

You and I could produce a 10 minute fan film of people being hunted in the woods by a pack of raptors and it'd be 10 times more interesting than I'm betting this CGI cringe fest will be. This prologue came off like a child's imagination playing with toys. If this is any indication of the rest of the movie, it will be another bad entry in the series.

You're right though.......still better than Star Wars.

Kimahri

Jul 27, 2020
The CGI looks so bad in my opinion and the dinosaurs are boring. I couldn't roll my eyes hard enough when the Rex showed up in the drive in and started flipping cars while people were making out, eating popcorn, etc. It's become a joke at this point and the franchise no longer takes itself seriously.

You and I could produce a 10 minute fan film of people being hunted in the woods by a pack of raptors and it'd be 10 times more interesting than I'm betting this CGI cringe fest will be. This prologue came off like a child's imagination playing with toys. If this is any indication of the rest of the movie, it will be another bad entry in the series.

You're right though.......still better than Star Wars.

Sounds to me you hold Jurassic Park to some lofty standard it just can't meet.

You say CGI fest, and I hear this a lot.

Like what do you expect? How do you expect them to create moving dinosaurs without it being a CGI fest? Just how? I need to know this, because when you look at the good old animatronics from the legend that is Stan Winston, it is janky as hell compared to how real animals move. His animatronics were incredible, but they have their uses, and they are limited.

Any movie with any hope of showing us dinosaurs that are more than static robots will by definition be a CGI fest. It is the only way to have any hope of creating them realistically.

That said. There will be plenty of puppets in this, but like in Fallen Kingdom, they will be CGI enhanced. Which is the best way to do it really, if you don't you'll end up with one scene that is clearly a puppet cause it's stiff and robotic, and one that is super animated.

Other than that, I thought the drive in was fun, mostly because the Rex looked incredible. I've been really let down by their redesign of her in the previous movies, and it looks like they finally listened, and she's back to her old self.

PaddyOCanager

Apr 26, 2010
Ohio
Sounds to me you hold Jurassic Park to some lofty standard it just can't meet.

You say CGI fest, and I hear this a lot.

Like what do you expect? How do you expect them to create moving dinosaurs without it being a CGI fest? Just how? I need to know this, because when you look at the good old animatronics from the legend that is Stan Winston, it is janky as hell compared to how real animals move. His animatronics were incredible, but they have their uses, and they are limited.

Any movie with any hope of showing us dinosaurs that are more than static robots will by definition be a CGI fest. It is the only way to have any hope of creating them realistically.

That said. There will be plenty of puppets in this, but like in Fallen Kingdom, they will be CGI enhanced. Which is the best way to do it really, if you don't you'll end up with one scene that is clearly a puppet cause it's stiff and robotic, and one that is super animated.

Other than that, I thought the drive in was fun, mostly because the Rex looked incredible. I've been really let down by their redesign of her in the previous movies, and it looks like they finally listened, and she's back to her old self.
There's a difference between a CGI fest and a movie that uses CGI creatively. If your movie uses CGI like it's punctuation in a sentence, it's a CGI fest and it's usage is about as exciting as a comma or a period in a book. There's nothing creative or interesting in that prologue video. There's no hook, no tension, no excitement. It's "hey look we have dinosaurs and they are doing things". I mean, just watch a trailer for the original:

Jurassic Park Official Trailer #1 - Steven Spielberg Movie (1993) HD - YouTube

I don't think I have a lofty standard - I expect the people who create these movies to be, you know, creative. (btw no idea if that trailer is really original or not was just trying to find a comparison)

bob_mugabe

Neo Member
Jun 4, 2020
(Almost) lifelong Jurassic Park fan as it released when I was 8 and fueled my imagination for years.

The franchise has been stretched thin. I watched the Lost Word again a few years ago end enjoyed it quite a bit as an action movie. Everything that followed has been utter shit with 0 scenario.

Kimahri

Jul 27, 2020
There's a difference between a CGI fest and a movie that uses CGI creatively. If your movie uses CGI like it's punctuation in a sentence, it's a CGI fest and it's usage is about as exciting as a comma or a period in a book. There's nothing creative or interesting in that prologue video. There's no hook, no tension, no excitement. It's "hey look we have dinosaurs and they are doing things". I mean, just watch a trailer for the original:

Jurassic Park Official Trailer #1 - Steven Spielberg Movie (1993) HD - YouTube

I don't think I have a lofty standard - I expect the people who create these movies to be, you know, creative. (btw no idea if that trailer is really original or not was just trying to find a comparison)
Every movie uses cgi like punctuation these days. Nothing is real anymore. It's used to create landscapes, to add a river to a barren place, to add crowds, buildings, anything you can think of. Cg is everywhere and in everything.

But in a dinosaur movie, that's where we draw the line? Tell me the alternative. Tell me how to make a dinosaur walk convincingly without cgi.

I liked this preview. It was a bunch of nice shots of dinosaurs. I enjoy looking at dinosaurs. And then it's followed by a brief scene from the film itself.

I see nothing wrong with it. It's an appetizer, not a trailer. I did not like Fallen Kingdom, so I'm not some blinded fanboy, but to be negative about dominion because of this is just silly to me.

PaddyOCanager

Apr 26, 2010
Ohio
Every movie uses cgi like punctuation these days. Nothing is real anymore. It's used to create landscapes, to add a river to a barren place, to add crowds, buildings, anything you can think of. Cg is everywhere and in everything.

But in a dinosaur movie, that's where we draw the line? Tell me the alternative. Tell me how to make a dinosaur walk convincingly without cgi.

I liked this preview. It was a bunch of nice shots of dinosaurs. I enjoy looking at dinosaurs. And then it's followed by a brief scene from the film itself.

I see nothing wrong with it. It's an appetizer, not a trailer. I did not like Fallen Kingdom, so I'm not some blinded fanboy, but to be negative about dominion because of this is just silly to me.
Yeah, Fallen Kingdom really soured me. I want to be positive but I really don't like the prologue vid and this disappoints me greatly.

Kimahri

Jul 27, 2020
Yeah, Fallen Kingdom really soured me. I want to be positive but I really don't like the prologue vid and this disappoints me greatly.
Fair enough. I enjoyed Jurassic World quite a bit, and found Trevorrow to at least be good at directing action, something he showed again in Battle at Big Rock. He's not a good writer though, but we'll see. I'm hopeful since he's directing that at the very least it'll be enjoyable.

Was very suprised Bayona delivered such a.. Boring film. Tons of stuff happened, but nothing excited me.