• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IMAX theater question

I'm wanting to see Ghostbusters: Afterlife in IMAX but it wasn't actually shot in IMAX, instead it's "digitally formatted" or whatever.

Since the only movies I've seen in IMAX have been ones that were shot for it, does a movie not shot for IMAX still look good when on that giant screen?

Ballthyrm

The biggest difference I would say is the Image aspect Ratio.
True IMAX film is 1.435:1. usually projected on 4K laser projector or Higher (Dual for 3D)
What's get messy with the digital format is that they have to cut from a bigger Image so they are effectively showing less Image than the DP intended.
You are supposed to shoot with an approved camera with IMAX Lenses.

The DP should know how the Image itself is going to look on the screen.
So when the switch happen, the Image itself shows you something that wouldn't be possible in another aspect Ratio.

As for the Image Quality itself, Imax 70mm is the same as 4K more or less.(now IMAX is 12K)
So to shoot Imax digitally you would need a Camera that has a Higher Pixel count than that if you intend to Cut into the Image itself.

Spoiler Alert, what you'll often get is shitty "digital Imax" where the aspect Ratio is 1.90:1 projected on 2K , and a blown up Image that wasn't ever intended for Imax use in the first place.

Last edited:

Gp1

I think you probably will see a "standard aspect ratio" of a DCP (2.40:1) movie upscaled to a big Imax screen.

DD9SFjnXcAAWPgJ.jpg

Last edited:
does a movie not shot for IMAX still look good when on that giant screen?

Yes. This one's mastered for IMAX so it will be fine. Sit in the middle for the best sound mixing. If it's 3D and you have a choice between IMAX and RealD, always choose IMAX for better depth.
Movies that are not mastered for IMAX will be projected on that screen in a smaller wide format, even with black bars all around, depending on the system. The Dark Tower is the only recent example I remember. The cinema should put up a notice that it's a smaller than usual image.

Top Bottom