• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Immortality - Review Thread

First reviews just came in:

Rely on Horror - 10/10
IGN - 8/10
Gamespot - 8/10
Press Start - 9.5/10
God is a Geek - 5/5
Pfangirl - 9/10
XboxEra - 10/10
What if Gaming - 10/10
Gameshub - 5/5
Progress Bar - 10/10
Videogamesgood.com - 10/10
Gamesradar - 4.5/5
Digitaltrends - 9/10
PureXbox - 10/10
Destructoid - 9/10

+ 10/10 from Edge

IMG-20220830-101646.jpg

Available later today on PC and Xbox (Game Pass as well).

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
That trailer really hasn't sold me on the game.

So I'm mega surprised to see how highly rated it is.

Curious to hear others opinions here, maybe I'll give it a go after soup hackers 2.

Immortality is unlike any other game. It's wildly ambitious, gorgeously shot, well acted, and incredibly unique. You might think you understand the straightforward gameplay, which requires you to match clips together to uncover the story of actress Marissa Marcel, but you have no idea what you're getting into and what you'll be at the end.

FOR​

• + Amazing performances
  • + Unique match-cut mechanic presents a new spin on footage hunting
  • + The world is fully fleshed out
  • + It's more than you can imagine

AGAINST​

• Whether you buy into the concept or not is up to you

Last edited:
Im curious how the controls work on mobile

Awesome reviews

Not exactly the answer you were looking for, but this sounds promising.

Thankfully, the interface and the framework that Immortality uses to tell its story is a far more sleek and user-friendly interface than the two similar games that came before it (Her Story & Telling Lies.) Not only is this interface more streamlined and easy to navigate, but the pacing and flow of information this system presents are far more compelling, satisfying, and well-balanced than its predecessors, leaving very little time without being able to discover new information, which is the key to keeping a good mystery story moving forward.

Orbital2060

Not exactly the answer you were looking for, but this sounds promising.

Thankfully, the interface and the framework that Immortality uses to tell its story is a far more sleek and user-friendly interface than the two similar games that came before it (Her Story & Telling Lies.) Not only is this interface more streamlined and easy to navigate, but the pacing and flow of information this system presents are far more compelling, satisfying, and well-balanced than its predecessors, leaving very little time without being able to discover new information, which is the key to keeping a good mystery story moving forward.
Thanks, sounds like a good interface either way
same, going to try on xcloud on my tablet without a controller after work
Yep fingers crossed it works well

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I'm going in with expectations at the absolute bottom of the barrel. I tried playing Telling Lies and it was so bad I nearly chewed my arm off.

I will try to keep an open mind and give this one another serious chance. I'm open to a genre like this, but I can't watch hours of footage of someone poorly acting, speaking into a camera by themselves and then hit rewind and try and parse out clues. From what I hear, this one has a better story and it's characters actually acting together instead of by themselves.

But I'm expecting low budget acting and similar rewind and do whatever gameplay. I'd like to have this game click, but I'm skeptical.

Chukhopops

Looking forward to it, Her Story was interesting but way too short, felt like a proof of concept.

Is it out on GP already ?

Sentenza

I'm somewhat curious but at the same time I didn't like Her Story a single bit.

Why can't we have Return of the Obra Dinn 2 or some other cloned shit, on the other hand? I loved that one.

Last edited:

Orbital2060

This is reviewing a lot more favorably than I expected.

Good shit.

Right now 91% on open critic

92 on meta for both pc and xbox

This game is really unsettling. I'm still not sure what I'm doing, but there was already a moment that send shivers down my spine.

Anyone interested in playing, do it with a controller and headphones - recommended for clues (vibrations, strange sounds, music getting intense) hidden throughout clips.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Still holding at 91 OC after 35 reviews, and this isn't the kind of game that'll probably get 100 critic reviews.

This will probably go down as one of the better reviewed games of the year.

Nice.

GreenAlien

There is a lot of nudity in it. A wonder it reviews so well :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Beautiful nude women are apparently only bad if they are animated.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
AVOID the IGN review btw, it spoils the unique and best parts of the game its so strange they added it in because it literally is shock value

Reviewed by Tristan Ogilvie on PC. Also available on Xbox, PlayStation, iOS, and Android.

"Immortality is a thoroughly mesmerizing mystery and one of the most surprising video game stories I’ve played through this year. Its image-based search tool might make its actual investigating feel noticeably dumbed down compared to that of Her Story and Telling Lies, but the credibility of its faked film productions, the powerful performances of its cast, and its regularly confronting, David Lynchian discoveries kept me captivated for its nine-hour duration. Immortality might not live forever in my mind, but it's likely to linger there for quite a while yet."

Last edited:
So, almost done with the game, going to go for the 1000 GS assuming it isn’t glitched/bugged. I don’t get it. This is a very solid FMV game, but absolutely nothing here stands out as being amazing. I have seen far better writing in numerous other games released just this year. It doesn’t utilize the medium itself in any spectacular way to tell a story, at least not in a manner that is any better than the greats like NieR: Automata or Undertale, and the acting is just… OK?

Unless something greatly changes here soon, this is a very solid 6/10 experience and nothing more.

I get the feeling this will end up like TLOU2. A game that is greatly overhyped/praised by critics, but generally just an average to slightly above average game (though in this game’s defense, it hasn’t put me to sleep… yet).

Last edited:

akimbo009

Gold Member
So, almost done with the game, going to go for the 1000 GS assuming it isn’t glitched/bugged. I don’t get it. This is a very solid FMV game, but absolutely nothing here stands out as being amazing. I have seen far better writing in numerous other games released just this year. It doesn’t utilize the medium itself in any spectacular way to tell a story, at least not in a manner that is any better than the greats like NieR: Automata or Undertale, and the acting is just… OK?

Unless something greatly changes here soon, this is a very solid 6/10 experience and nothing more.

I get the feeling this will end up like TLOU2. A game that is greatly overhyped/praised by critics, but generally just an average to slightly above average game (though in this game’s defense, it hasn’t put me to sleep… yet).
What other games "this year" are better? You cite some examples from the last decade...

What other games "this year" are better? You cite some examples from the last decade...

Total War: WarHammer 3 - It’s tutorial primarily. Sadly the main campaign never reached the same highs as the writing/character delivery in the tutorial, but it was far more engaging than anything in this game thus far.

Atelier Sophie 2, Elden Ring, Triangle Strategy, Omori, The Quarry, Digimon Survive, Stray, Xenoblade Chronicles 3, I could go on. All games I have, at this thus far into this experience (as I would hardly call it a game), had more gripping narratives that kept me engaged and entertained longer.

Top Bottom