• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Immortality - Review Thread

jaysius

Banned
This game has so many issues, there's nothing to let you know if you've already clicked an item in a clip, and you go through so many similar items and clips it's hard to remember if you've done it or not. Also the progression is completely random, meaning you'll end up in old clips time after time for no fucking reason. There's no real sense of solving anything because you're not, you're just mindlessly clicking through things hoping for a new clip.

The rewind features that allows you to find "hidden clips" is super touchy with the keyboard or with the controller and it never seems to gel how to activate it.

Her Story was better, hell even Telling Lies was superior to this.

Relating this to David Lynch is an insult to him.

The acting was good and it gives you a behind the scenes look at how movies are made, this part was great, showing the process and supposedly candid moments that can occur.

There's even a bug that the dev knows about that crashes your game when you essentially finish it, it happened to me and the game would never load properly again on my Xbox, I had to finish it on PC when it occurred.

These kind of games with hyped up reviews really make me question the entire review scam business(it is a business don't be naive).

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Interesting ideas in this game for sure and the acting is great, but going through the same scenes gets very tiresome after a while and even though I’ve seen loads of hidden scenes and the credits I still don’t understand what’s going on.

Also, the activation of the hidden scenes is way to janky. Shouldn’t have to go back and forth for 10 minutes for stuff to happen..

Cool ideas, hopefully they can improve on it, there’s definitely something good hidden inside of this one.

Definitely wouldn’t score this anywhere close to a 9 though. And that some outlets gave this a 10 sounds utterly bonkers.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

User opinions here seem quite different from the review scores, I guess I'll have to give it a go at some point just to check it out.

Zathalus

Can someone tell me what a fuck this game was about? I finished it but have no clue.

Warning for everyone: Spoilers.

MHubert

Can someone tell me what a fuck this game was about? I finished it but have no clue.
It is more or less the game equivalent of House of Leaves, so not exactly original in that sense. Trust me, at some point it will click and it's not supposed to feel good.

I think this is just further evidence that the gaming “journalists” know fucking nothing about games. The more I think about my time having completed it, the more I dislike having my time wasted.

Everyone do yourself a favor and go play TinyKin instead. An actually fantastic game on GamePass. Pass on this trash.

bender

What time is it?
Not really my thing but I understand what it is going for. I didn't care for Her Story either.

jaysius

Banned
I think this is just further evidence that the gaming “journalists” know fucking nothing about games. The more I think about my time having completed it, the more I dislike having my time wasted.

Everyone do yourself a favor and go play TinyKin instead. An actually fantastic game on GamePass. Pass on this trash.
Tinykin shows that we don’t need Nintendo to make a Pikmin style game.

Tinykin has no retarded day clock or juice mechanics that slow down and kill the fun.

Tinykin also has amazing controls and a fun art style that will age gracefully.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President

Bored Season 2 GIF by The Office

Relique

Interesting ideas in this game for sure and the acting is great, but going through the same scenes gets very tiresome after a while and even though I’ve seen loads of hidden scenes and the credits I still don’t understand what’s going on.

Also, the activation of the hidden scenes is way to janky. Shouldn’t have to go back and forth for 10 minutes for stuff to happen..

Cool ideas, hopefully they can improve on it, there’s definitely something good hidden inside of this one.

Definitely wouldn’t score this anywhere close to a 9 though. And that some outlets gave this a 10 sounds utterly bonkers.

The One and The Other One are two immortal beings that have existed as long as humanity have and probably before. They are opposites, but they are intertwined. The One is drawn to Creation, The Other One is drawn to Destruction. The One has confidence in humanity and is sometimes able to convince The Other One to go along with her schemes to create stories to attempt to better humanity. I believe this is because The Other One is truly in love with The One, and that trumps his distaste and pessimism for the potential of humans.

One of the stories They created is the Jesus narrative. They thought this would be it, the one to finally put humanity on the path of bettering itself. Obviously it didn't. This causes some disillusion for The One and she spends the next two millenia or so alternately wandering the earth and being "dead". Apparently, the harsher the death, the longer They stay dead but They always come back, BUT The One says They don't come back from being cremated. (How do they know this, I don't know, but I THINK i remember there is one clip where The One hints that there once were more of Them than just these two, but now these two are all that remain.) This is important for later.

Fast forward to France during WWI, The One comes about Marissa dying in a barn and takes her form. She is reinvigorated by her beauty and youth, and spends the next few decades modeling and traveling in Europe, eventually reveling in this brand new art form, the Cinema. She can tell that the Cinema is something special, a completely new art form unlike any other, and being a lover of creation, she wants to take part of it. She tracks down Arthur Fischer, considered to be the best director at the time, and auditions to be in his movie. Unfortunately, Fischer's career is on the decline and he's no longer the artistic genius she thought he was, but no matter, she's in the biz and she loves it. This first movie is AMBROSIO. While filming AMBROSIO, The Other One tracks The One down and assumes the form of the actor playing Satan. He's mostly there just because he loves her and wants to be near her, but She's pissed because She knows that He doesn't approve of her philosophy of creation. However, The Other One lets her have this movie and it finishes without any problems.

The One (as Marissa) gets involved with the Director of Photography on AMBROSIO, John Durick, and follows him to New York to make Durick's directorial debut. This movie is MINSKY. Filming starts of well, Marissa hits it off (way off) with the leading man of the movie, Carl Greenwood, and Durick digs it because he's a hip artist and free love and whatever (it's hinted he's kind of a perv). However, The Other One tracks The One down in New York and His patience is starting to wear thin. He sees Durick as a hack, that this movie means nothing, and wants to get The One to give up on this new obsession with the movies up and just be with Him. She refuses. The Other One then kills Carl Greenwood and takes his form. This really pisses Her off and she "accidentally" kills fake-Carl via on-set accident with a loaded gun. Carl's body is then cremated and The One thinks that means she is free from The Other One forever. This ends the production of MINSKY.

At some point during the production of MINSKY, The One reveals her true nature to John Durick. Durick is horrified and The One winds up killing him and consuming because of his reaction. She is then able to assume Durick's form.

The One then decides to retire Marissa and lives as John Durick for the next couple of decades, trying to make movies but each one turns out worse than the one before. Her enthusiasm and belief is running out, and being alive for so long means she is "running out of time".

At some point, the actress Amy Archer watches the footage of Carl Greenwood dying. Through this footage, The Other One is able to live again as Amy. It turns out this new medium of Film is another way for The One and The Other One to transfer themselves into new bodies. They no longer have to destroy who they want to become. They can Create and live on through the movies.

This allows The Other One to see The One's viewpoint of the importance of creation (and the power of film). The Other One (as Amy) tracks down The One and sees that The One is at the end of her lifespan. The Other One offers his help to The One to make one last movie, the movie that will explain everything, and will also give her the vehicle for true immortality. This movie is TWO OF EVERYTHING.

During the production of 2OE, The One is both John Durick and Marissa Marcel (this part confuses me, because this ability was never hinted at before but as far as I can tell, this is what is happening). The Other One is Amy Archer, who plays the role of Isabella Hessenberg in 2OE. The wear and tear of being two people while also having "lived" for so long without "dying" and "resting" is causing a huge toll on The One. She starts to literally fall apart, to the great concern of The Other One. Eventually, she is unable to finish the movie and agrees to die on film. The Other One burns her alive. Upon watching the footage of Marissa Marcel's death, we (the viewer) become The One and The One becomes us. She has achieved true immortality.

Tinykin shows that we don’t need Nintendo to make a Pikmin style game.

Tinykin has no retarded day clock or juice mechanics that slow down and kill the fun.

Tinykin also has amazing controls and a fun art style that will age gracefully.

Tinykin is as much Pikmin as Overlord was. They are completely different games and this just seems like you want a reason to bitch about Nintendo.

Top Bottom