• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Impressive Halo Reborn Mod Shows Off New Gameplay Footage From Halo: CE

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Players that desire a Halo remake should look no further than a modding team who are revamping the original trilogy for PC. The reveal trailer for Halo Reborn showcases a familiar setting from the first Halo game that will excite fans for what’s to come.

According to the official website for Halo Reborn, the fan-made project will require players to own Halo: The Master Chief Collection, as it will use its assets to accomplish the mod. The goal of Halo Reborn is to bring the original trilogy back using the Halo 3 engine from Halo MCC to recreate Halo 1, Halo 2, and Halo 3. Everything from missions, maps, enemies, and weapons will be new and updated in order to streamline the Halo story, which will offer a fresh experience for fans of the original trilogy in one campaign experience. The mod is a great way for the community to keep Halo MCC afloat, though official Halo: The Master Chief Collection content updates continue to release even in 2022.

For example, as described on the Halo Reborn website, some backtracking sections will be cut in order to develop the maps in a more intelligent way. This means some sections from the first three games will appear in different places. Halo Reborn will also utilize a new system called IHUD (Immersive HUD) that aims for a more cinematic experience, similar to what Ghost of Tsushima accomplished. Fans can get an idea of what some of this will look like in the Halo Reborn gameplay trailer, which showcases a section from Halo: Combat Evolved. The iconic mission revealed is more immersive than ever before, featuring higher quality textures and revamped environments while still maintaining the iconic replay value that Halo: Combat Evolved is known for.

Kuranghi

This looks nice but its not the same game, great if you've already played CE to death no doubt.

It would be good if 343i could actually finish remastering CE via the MCC. Sure the latest patch fixes tons of stuff finally, but in terms of the effects and sound it really just brought it up the level of the originals, but still with stuff missing. It has annoying issues in the original graphics mode (the other mode looks awful overall imo) to the point where I'd just say play the original release.

The MCC is like watching your favourite movie but the audio has been weirdly remixed, the colour grading is completely different and CGI has been added. Boo-urns to 343i!

Apocryphon

Why use Halo 3? I mean I appreciate the effort here but how much better is it going to be than Halo CE Anniversary?

Why use Halo 3? I mean I appreciate the effort here but how much better is it going to be than Halo CE Anniversary?

I think the idea is to give a uniformity to the original trilogy, across the board e.g. engine, graphics, story, mission reworking etc. They're going for a really cohesive vision with this rebirth. I like that take on a uniform Chief and trilogy. I'll be checking it out.

This Chief armour also really finally has that "iridescent green" the books are always on about. This is far closer to my mind's eye version of Spartan armour. Sleek but powerful, mysterious and unmistakable with enough uniqueness to standout from the other military personnel and equipment.

Also I really wasn't a massive fan of the garish colouring in CEA or H2A, they went overboard visually in that respect. This mods looks far less gaudy than the anniversary titles.

mrcroket

I wonder if in the future halo will suffer the same fate as sonic were fans make better games/mods than official developers.

Banned
[Halo Reborn will also utilize a new system called IHUD (Immersive HUD) that aims for a more cinematic experience, similar to what Ghost of Tsushima accomplished.

why? that sounds beyond stupid.
you are a Spartan 2 with a Mjolnir helmet that should always have appropriate hud elements on it that are vital for the Spartan and his mission... wtf?

this makes the game less immersive 😑 imagine if the UNSC designed their fucking HUD system around the concept of Spartans wanting to enjoy the scenery... like wtf?

Last edited:

Banned
I wonder if in the future halo will suffer the same fate as sonic were fans make better games/mods than official developers.

we are already there... Splitgate exists and is basically a Halo Fangame in the same sense Freedom Planet is basically a Sonic Fangame

Banned
This seems unnecessary, the MCC version looks and plays great.
I'd like to see something like this a couple of generations from now though.

Halo 1 Anniversary has many really bad artdesign changes. and the original graphics are very outdated, not bad, but they certainly have aged.

so a remake in the Halo Reach engine will certainly be a great alternative (yes they will apparently switch over to Halo Reach for this eventually it seems due to the engine improvements it brings)

Banned
They did one years ago. Which still holds up quite well.

they didn't, this is made by Saber Interactive (with help from Certain Affinity) using their in-house Saber 3D engine.

also this is not a remake, the original game engine (Blam Engine) still handels all the game logic, and Saber Interactive simply used their engine to add new animations and graphics.
this is why you can switch back to the original PC version of Halo CE (which this port is based on) with the press of a button

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
they didn't, this is made by Saber Interactive (with help from Certain Affinity) using their in-house Saber 3D engine.

also this is not a remake, the original game engine (Blam Engine) still handels all the game logic, and Saber Interactive simply used their engine to add new animations and graphics.
this is why you can switch back to the original PC version of Halo CE (which this port is based on) with the press of a button
Well it's still a decent remake.

Yes I said remake, it may still be the same engine but it has new lighting, textures, effects etc which qualifies as a remake because it's more then just higher resolution and frame rate which are what remasters are considered as.

Last edited:

Banned
Well it's still a decent remake.

Yes I said remake, it may still be the same engine but it has new lighting, textures, effects etc which qualifies as a remake because it's more then just higher resolution and frame rate which are what remasters are considered as.

it's not a remake.
the original game, specifically a modified version of Gearbox's PC port of Halo CE, runs the game.

then Saber Interactive developed a way to overlay their Saber 3D engine on top of the Blam Engine.

so what you are playing the whole time is the original game that has been slightly enhanced to support proper wide-screen.
and the new graphics are running in a different engine which hooks into the Blam Engine in order to display basically an overlay with new graphics.

as soon as you press the Back button the Saber 3D engine overlay is gone and you see what actually is happening underneath... which is you're playing a port of the PC version

that's not a remake.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

it's not a remake.
the original game, specifically a modified version of Gearbox's PC port of Halo CE, runs the game.

then Saber Interactive developed a way to overlay their Saber 3D engine on top of the Blam Engine.

so what you are playing the whole time is the original game that has been slightly enhanced to support proper wide-screen.
and the new graphics are running in a different engine which hooks into the Blam Engine in order to display basically an overlay with new graphics.

as soon as you press the Back button the Saber 3D engine overlay is gone and you see what actually is happening underneath... which is you're playing a port of the PC version

that's not a remake.

Well it's not remaster, so what is it?

Sosokrates

Basically a very official mod I'd say.
Lol. People inventing the definition of a remake lol.

Theres no law that says remakes cant be done on the same engine.

Its a remake

sB6CX7K.jpg

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo:_Combat_Evolved_Anniversary

Last edited:

CuNi

Lol. People inventing the definition of a remake lol.

Theres no law that says remakes cant be done on the same engine.

Its a remake

sB6CX7K.jpg

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo:_Combat_Evolved_Anniversary

Since you try to be smart about this.

According to:

It could even be considered a port:
"A port is a conversion of a game to a new platform that relies heavily on existing work and assets. A port may include various enhancements like improved performance, resolution, and sometimes even additional content, but differs from a remake in that it still relies heavily on the original assets and engine of the source game."

So if anything, it is a port and not a remake.

Sosokrates

Since you try to be smart about this.

According to:
[/URL]

It could even be considered a port:
"A port is a conversion of a game to a new platform that relies heavily on existing work and assets. A port may include various enhancements like improved performance, resolution, and sometimes even additional content, but differs from a remake in that it still relies heavily on the original assets and engine of the source game."

So if anything, it is a port and not a remake.
Lol your own quote proves u incorrect.
Anniversary has new assets... Plus the rest of the wiki article describes what anniversary is.

Even John Lindeman of DF thinks it's a remake

@ 35:50

"Microsoft decided to invest in a full on remake of the original Halo"

CuNi

Lol your own quote proves u incorrect.
Anniversary has new assets... Plus the rest of the wiki article describes what anniversary is.

Even John Lindeman of DF thinks it's a remake

@ 35:50

"Microsoft decided to invest in a full on remake of the original Halo"

The whole engine the game runs on is an "existing asset" that is being reused.
If you just ignore that and constitute any kind of addition as a remake, then what is a remaster in your opinion?
Since according to you, a remaster is something else than a game that runs on its original engine with its original assets only being touched up with higher textures and minor additions like widescreen support etc.

Sosokrates

The whole engine the game runs on is an "existing asset" that is being reused.
If you just ignore that and constitute any kind of addition as a remake, then what is a remaster in your opinion?
Since according to you, a remaster is something else than a game that runs on its original engine with its original assets only being touched up with higher textures and minor additions like widescreen support etc.
Not just according to me, Wikipedia and John linerman of DF think it's a remake...

An engine is an engine not an asset.. in the context of the wiki description.

A remaster is a game that has improved resolution, framerate and sometimes AF.

A Remake is when the core visual technologies like lighting and art assets are completely new.

VAVA Mk2

Put a Grapple Shot in and this likely ends up a better Halo than Infinite. Just demonstrates how inept of a studio 343i is.

Jinzo Prime

This looks like a true remake of Halo CE, I love the vibrancy and consistancy of the colors! Halo CE Anniversary just looks ugly in comparison.

I'm pretty sure this is just one of several projects remaking/reimagining Halo, at least the mod scene is still alive.

Top Bottom