• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In 2021 Sony accounted for 46% of all spend on console games, hardware and services

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I don’t see why you’re trying to spilt the generations when it comes to this topic of Sony being the market leader in spending. It’s the PS5 that’s already covering most of that anyway going by the software sales data.

Whether PS5+PS4 or just PS5 nothing would change for Sony having the highest revenue. The PS4 players are transitioning right to PS5.

Gamepass, PC, and Xcloud won’t make up for that.

I was replying to a comment saying sony are market leader. I think its worth pointing it out. If it doesn't interest you, just ignore me.

PS right now

muto-godzilla.gif

Oh, I'm sure they shared. And not only ice cream.

njs5yz0sn8n41.jpg
😂😂😂 #dead

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
They are actually BEHIND the PS4 launch aligned. What record you talking about?

PS5 being behind us not from less demand. It’s from chip shortages on top of Covid for all of 2020-2021. It hindered also logistical travel for said shipments. Every time there is a drop they are sold out. On EBay SCALPED PS5 still go for more money than series x. That would infer which is more in demand.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
releasing to a wider install base is more attractive to a developer. The faster a gaas title attracts a large install base, the better.
The same principle applies to single player games though right? The more customers that can buy Horizon Forbidden West (PS4 + PS5) the better. I agree with you that God of War Ragnarok is likely the last cross gen game.
Also, there is less focus on new tech implementation and more emphasis on gameplay with multiplayer, so the demand for "next gen only" is much less.
If this is true today, then it has likely been true for some time correct? If so, wouldn't we have seen this cross gen practice applied to previous generations of multiplayer? Instead, we've historically seen the cross gen rules apply ~equally between single + multiplayer games.

Destiny 1, which was released in the cross gen window, was available on the PS3/XBox 360.
Destiny 2 was not.

We did not see many (any?) cross gen multiplayer games released on the PS3/360 generation once the PS4/XBO generation started rolling. I'm not sure why that would change all of a sudden.

I suspect multiplayer games greatly benefit from added horsepower and the market that still plays on PS4 in 2023 is not going to be as attractive (lucrative) as the PS5 market in 2023.

Swift_Star

Banned
"One of the biggest differences between the current vs next-gen versions of FIFA 22 on PS4 and PS5, Xbox One and Series X is hypermotion gameplay"

Its already started the process. Its matter of time before these systems adopt these next gen mechanics.

Also, Most games will be next gen after 2024.
Keep dreaming. Epic won’t make Fortnite next gen exclusive. Neither will other f2p publishers. Sorry. I know you really wish Sony to lose revenue but it just won’t happen.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Keep dreaming. Epic won’t make Fortnite next gen exclusive. Neither will other f2p publishers. Sorry. I know you really wish Sony to lose revenue but it just won’t happen.
No one here wants Sony to lose their revenue. You just dont want to face the reality, where devs will drop the ps4, for the ps5.

I wanna know, which world are you dreaming, where this console is getting next gen games.

Swift_Star

Banned
No one here wants Sony to lose their revenue. You just dont want to face the reality, where devs will drop the ps4, for the ps5.

I wanna know, which world are you dreaming, where this console is getting next gen games.
1 - You’re not fooling anyone.
2 - the current money makers will keep being money makers and will keep getting support on ps4.
Fortnite won’t be next gen exclusive, neither Apex Legends, Genshin Impact and others. That’s what you don’t understand.
Sony is not losing MTX money. Stop.

kingfey

Banned
Wut?

Returnal
Racket & Clank
Deathloop
Kena
None of these are big hits. Only Returnal and ratchet are Sony exclusive games. Deathloop is an xbox game which is timed exclusive. Kena is an indie game.

You probably lives in a bubble I guess.
PS5 is already in the middle of the gen and the delivery won’t stop you know.
The forever promises… never delivery.

That is Uncle Phil with Xbox… always promising.
You are the one who made this point, while ignoring the massive success xbox had in 2021.

Phil showed a road map. We know what is coming to xbox. Games as everyone knows takes time.

This is 2022

For other xbox exclusive announced games.

Avowed, Diablo IV, The Elder Scrolls VI, Everwild, Fable, Forza Motorsport, Indiana Jones, Overwatch 2, Perfect Dark, Senua's Saga: Hellblade 2, State of Decay 3, The Outer Worlds 2

Then you have other bethesda unannounced games, plus future activision/blizzard games.

So tell me, Where is the overpromising? This isnt xbox one wait for e3.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
1 - You’re not fooling anyone.
2 - the current money makers will keep being money makers and will keep getting support on ps4.
Fortnite won’t be next gen exclusive, neither Apex Legends, Genshin Impact and others. That’s what you don’t understand.
Sony is not losing MTX money. Stop.
For the last time, Old gen wont have new gen games. Understand this point.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
So what is Xbox share of pc gaming vs Sony's? It's only natural that ms would sell less consoles and have less overall console game sales if thier customers are buying pc's.
Start releasing more playstation games on pc and you'll start to see thier console percentage shrink.

kingfey

Banned
So what is Xbox share of pc gaming vs Sony's? It's only natural that ms would sell less consoles and have less overall console game sales if thier customers are buying pc's.
Start releasing more playstation games on pc and you'll start to see thier console percentage shrink.
Xbox wins this part comfortably. Esepcially when activision/blizzard deal is done.

ethomaz

Banned
None of these are big hits. Only Returnal and ratchet are Sony exclusive games. Deathloop is an xbox game which is timed exclusive. Kena is an indie game.

You are the one who made this point, while ignoring the massive success xbox had in 2021.

Phil showed a road map. We know what is coming to xbox. Games as everyone knows take time.

This is 2022

For other xbox exclusive announced games.

Avowed, Diablo IV, The Elder Scrolls VI, Everwild, Fable, Forza Motorsport, Indiana Jones, Overwatch 2, Perfect Dark, Senua's Saga: Hellblade 2, State of Decay 3, The Outer Worlds 2

Then you have other bethesda unannounced games, plus future activision/blizzard games.

So tell me, Where is the overpromising? This isnt xbox one wait for e3.
Massive success? 😂😂😂

Man I can’t even understand how can you made up these things…. It is better to keep playing games in you know some place that delivery games and don’t do the forever waiting game mentality.

Swift_Star

Banned
For the last time, Old gen wont have new gen games. Understand this point.
And? I’m talking about the CURRENT money makers f2p games. These won’t have their support taken away from last gen. Stop moving goalposts.
Fortnite and Genshin Impact will still be supported on ps4. Sorry this makes your whole fantasy scenario impossible to happen.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
You want data, sure.

There are 25 million gamepass subscribers, probably more now as that fogure is a few months old now.
Those subscribers can play current gen xbox games. Plus people that buy xbox games on PC, FH5 and halo infinite both sold well on PC.
So if we are talking about money, Microsoft will be able to make money from the current gen then sony.

Just to reiterate and avoid confusion im talking about current gen here.
I really don't think GP makes that much money. I think people tend to forget about the money MS has to pay out for the content and there's the inevitable lost game sales too

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
Massive success? 😂😂😂

Man I can’t even understand how can you made up these things…. It is better to keep playing games in you know some place that delivery games and don’t do the forever waiting game mentality.
He’s living in fantasy land. Always spouting this nonsense in threads where suddenly Xbox makes massive success surpassing Sony and Nintendo despite nothing really pointing in that direction.

kingfey

Banned
And? I’m talking about the CURRENT money makers f2p games. These won’t have their support taken away from last gen. Stop moving goalposts.
Fortnite and Genshin Impact will still be supported on ps4. Sorry this makes your whole fantasy scenario impossible to happen.
do you understand 2024? That is 2 years from now. I explicitly stated, Ps4 would be out after 2024. You will still get support until then. But after that, good luck. Because everyone is jumping on next gen consoles.

kingfey

Banned
Massive success? 😂😂😂

Let me guess, Psychonauts 2, forza horizon 5, age of empire 4, and halo infinite never happened in 2021 right? got it.

Papacheeks

Banned

That’s not what data we have suggests though?

Swift_Star

Banned
do you understand 2024? That is 2 years from now. I explicitly stated, Ps4 would be out after 2024. You will still get support until then. But after that, good luck. Because everyone is jumping on next gen consoles.
Fortnite and Genshin will keep their ps4 support. Sorry.
And if everyone gets ps5… Sony will keep being #1 in revenue since it’s clear people aren’t going Xbox rn. Your whole premise and point are moot.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
That's the same percent of the popular vote Donald Trump got in 2016 and he still became president

Papacheeks

Banned
This data presented is only showing part of the gaming market.......it's missing a key part, the PC gaming market.

No Sony is selling shit tons on pc? God of war alone sold 2 million in like 2 weeks.

Horizon sold over 20 million between pc/PS4. In 2020 it sold 716k in its first month. So I assume it sold couple million.

That’s great.

If they decide to bring Spider-Man over? Gang busters. Forbidden west is by far currently the best looking game I’ve seen period. Specifically for a open world game that is insanely dense.

Sorry but miles morales charting every time there is hardware stock tells different story.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
I really don't think GP makes that much money. I think people tend to forget about the money MS has to pay out for the content and there's the inevitable lost game sales too
If psnow with 3m can get top games, I doubt MS loses alot of money with gamepass. Plus Epic showed up how much these games really cost to give them for free. Renting them out for 1 year is cheaper compared to that.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
No Sony is selling shot tons on pc? God of war alone sold 2 million in like 2 weeks.

Horizon sold over 20 million between pc/PS4. In 2020 it sold 716k in its first month. So I assume it sold couple million.

That’s great.

If they decide to bring Spider-Man over? Gang busters. Forbidden west is by far currently the best looking game I’ve seen period. Specifically for a open world game that is insanely dense.

Sorry but miles morales charting every time there is hardware stock tells different story.

Your kind of missing the point.......Sony has very little pc sales vs ms at this point, this could change if they expand. If you think Sony's sales on pc are anywhere near ms's in 2021 your badly mistaken.

Papacheeks

Banned
Your kind of missing the point.......Sony has very little pc sales vs ms at this point, this could change if they expand. If you think Sony's sales on pc are anywhere near ms's in 2021 your badly mistaken.

Show me Microsoft bought software on pc? Show me the numbers? Not numbers of how many players. Actually sales?

I’ll wait……..

Lognor

Banned
PS5 being behind us not from less demand. It’s from chip shortages on top of Covid for all of 2020-2021. It hindered also logistical travel for said shipments. Every time there is a drop they are sold out. On EBay SCALPED PS5 still go for more money than series x. That would infer which is more in demand.
Why you comparing to xsx console warrior man?

Top Bottom