• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In 2021 Sony accounted for 46% of all spend on console games, hardware and services

kyliethicc

sANN3Rq.jpg

Lognor

Banned
I never said they were, I said there are more current gen xbox players.
You're defining PC and cloud games as current gen though. What's the distinction? Cloud gaming uses Xbox One hardware, doesn't it? So that's technically last gen, right? And what about those PC gamers that are using PCs less powerful than an XSX/XSS? Is that last gen or current gen?

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
You're defining PC and cloud games as current gen though. What's the distinction? Cloud gaming uses Xbox One hardware, doesn't it? So that's technically last gen, right? And what about those PC gamers that are using PCs less powerful than an XSX/XSS? Is that last gen or current gen?

No cloud gamin uses seriesX hardware, and of course PC players who dont have a PC powerful enough to run gen9 games wont be included.

Its just rather ironic that despite the PS5's sales lead Xbox gen9 games will have a bigger installbase. Just goes to show console sales are only one piece of the pie.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
No cloud gamin uses seriesX hardware, and of course PC players who dont have a PC powerful enough to run gen9 games wont be included.

Its just rather ironic that despite the PS5's sales lead Xbox gen9 games will have a bigger installbase. Just goes to show console sales are only one piece of the pie.
Sony is releasing to PC as well though; and is likely to do day one PC for their GAAS titles which will be numerous.

But even Sony's strategy of PS5 first + maybe 1-2 years later a PC release is likely to be incredibly lucrative, and probably more lucrative than day one PC in the end.

Console sales are a MASSIVE piece of the pie, because unless you can run a dominant storefront on PC, you are just selling games, not a platform that gets you 30% of what everyone else is selling.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

So you’re using very specific parameters to make Xbox look good. When even those parameters aren’t exactly correct.

Sounds good.

No everything I said is a fact. Using console sales as the only determining factor would a pretty specific perameter.
And what about what I said about Xbox is not correct?

Swift_Star

Banned
Ask activision mtx revenue. Or Blizzard mtx revenue. Not to mention, playstation will lose the revenue which the ps4 generates, while MS can generate money from PC, which compensates the hardware difference. Then you add the mtx which MS games has on xbox and steam.
Why will they lose the ps4 revenue? The games will keep working on that console.
You’re wishing this hard but it won’t happen.

Sosokrates

Sony is releasing to PC as well though; and is likely to do day one PC for their GAAS titles which will be numerous.

But even Sony's strategy of PS5 first + maybe 1-2 years later a PC release is likely to be incredibly lucrative, and probably more lucrative than day one PC in the end.

I think they will eventually move to all there games releasing day 1 on PC theres just to much money on the table to ignore, especially early in a new generation.

IntentionalPun

I think they will eventually move to all there games releasing day 1 on PC theres just to much money on the table to ignore, especially early in a new generation.
Well having a dominant console that makes billions of essentially "passive income" from third party sales and MTX is too much money on the table for Sony to really make that sort of jump.

PARTICULARLY early in a console generation TBH.

I do think it would be overall beneficial to Sony regardless and dont think many people jump ship to PC, but Sony is being careful regardless of our opinions. And if it's just their big SP games that aren't day one on PC, I think that's actually a good middle ground strategy.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Well having a dominant console that makes billions of essentially "passive income" from third party sales and MTX is too much money on the table for Sony to really make that sort of jump.

PARTICULARLY early in a console generation TBH.

I do think it would be overall beneficial to Sony regardless and dont think many people jump ship to PC, but Sony is being careful regardless of our opinions. And if it's just their big SP games that aren't day one on PC, I think that's actually a good middle ground strategy.
Why not both?

I dont think there games being on PC would drastically reduce there console sales. Even the Xbox one sold 50mill and most of its games also were released on PC and the xbox series is selling out.

Swift_Star

Banned
How long do you think they will support that console?
Forever. Those games will never leave those consoles, there’s no reason to. It would be stupid to do. The only reason for them to do it is if the games released ps5 versions of the games (which I doubt Fortnite is doing) and after their ps5 userbase becomes bigger than the ps4 one.
Ps5 is BC. There’s literally no reason for f2p games drop previous platforms. They would be Losing money if they did since they’d alienate a lot of players that haven’t moved on to new systems. That ain’t happening, bud.

Last edited:

NickFire

Why not both?

I dont think there games being on PC would drastically reduce there console sales. Even the Xbox one sold 50mill and most of its games also were released on PC and the xbox series is selling out.
Sony doesn't really have the same fallback positions if things turn south though. And MS is really secretive about its numbers. Sony would be betting the house to chase a relatively unknown quantity. The ability to take risk is just one area where MS is going to win every time.

On Demand

Banned
No everything I said is a fact. Using console sales as the only determining factor would a pretty specific perameter.
And what about what I said about Xbox is not correct?

No it is not a fact.

Nobody is using console sales only for success. Sony’s dominance comes from both its hardware sales and having the most spending power on its platform.

You say Xbox has the biggest base which is wrong. You list 3 platforms with no data to back to it up.

Even if that were true, it’s not really amounting to anything of substance seeing how the majority of consumers are spending their money on PlayStation.......which has one platform.

These “player numbers” keep being touted while all the players are clearly buying from PlayStation.

kingfey

Banned
Forever. Those games will never leave those consoles, there’s no reason to. It would be stupid to do. The only reason for them to do it is if the games released ps5 versions of the games (which I doubt Fortnite is doing) and after their ps5 userbase becomes bigger than the ps4 one.
Ps5 is BC. There’s literally no reason for f2p games drop previous platforms. They would be Losing money if they did since they’d alienate a lot of players that haven’t moved on to new systems. That ain’t happening, bud.
They will. in 2024, most games would be next gen. Unless they have enough users on those systems, they wont continue to support them. You also have to account of the power of these systems. Fifa already started with their next gen exclusive system. Its matter of time, before any f2p games implement these mechanics.

Swift_Star

Banned
They will. in 2024, most games would be next gen. Unless they have enough users on those systems, they wont continue to support them. You also have to account of the power of these systems. Fifa already started with their next gen exclusive system. Its matter of time, before any f2p games implement these mechanics.
Source? Like you were already told multiple times: you’re wishing this happens and it clearly won’t.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

No it is not a fact.

Nobody is using console sales only for success. Sony’s dominance comes from both its hardware sales and having the most spending power on its platform.

You say Xbox has the biggest base which is wrong. You list 3 platforms with no data to back to it up.

Even if that were true, it’s not really amounting to anything of substance seeing how the majority of consumers are spending their money on PlayStation.......which has one platform.

These “player numbers” keep being touted while all the players are clearly buying from PlayStation.

You want data, sure.

There are 25 million gamepass subscribers, probably more now as that fogure is a few months old now.
Those subscribers can play current gen xbox games. Plus people that buy xbox games on PC, FH5 and halo infinite both sold well on PC.
So if we are talking about money, Microsoft will be able to make money from the current gen then sony.

Just to reiterate and avoid confusion im talking about current gen here.

kingfey

Banned
Source? Like you were already told multiple times: you’re wishing this happens and it clearly won’t.
"One of the biggest differences between the current vs next-gen versions of FIFA 22 on PS4 and PS5, Xbox One and Series X is hypermotion gameplay"

Its already started the process. Its matter of time before these systems adopt these next gen mechanics.

Also, Most games will be next gen after 2024.

IntentionalPun

Why not both?

I dont think it would either.

But I think making your big SP games timed exclusives has pretty much no downsides. If anything staggering the windows only increases things like double dipping. A big Playstation "exclusive" coming to PC a year or 2 later is still a massive game launch, and does to SOME EXTENT still protect the allure of your console.

bitbydeath

Maybe they're making moves to be aggressive in the PC space, but they're not there yet. Indicators are not actions. Three year old ports ain't it. Where is my HZD2 on PC? Where is the Uncharted 4 game promised that just released on PS5? Where is GT7? Nowhere to be seen.
Porting older games opens more opportunities of double dipping, double dipping means more money.

It’s more beneficial to hold off on a PC release, GTAV was one of the first big examples showing that, TLOU as well.

On Demand

Banned
You want data, sure.

There are 25 million gamepass subscribers, probably more now as that fogure is a few months old now.
Those subscribers can play current gen xbox games. Plus people that buy xbox games on PC, FH5 and halo infinite both sold well on PC.
So if we are talking about money, Microsoft will be able to make money from the current gen then sony.

Just to reiterate and avoid confusion im talking about current gen here.

All these players (not cuncurrent) and platforms and yet

In 2021 Sony accounted for 46% of all spend on console games, hardware and services​

And still makes more money than Xbox.

Just because they have 3 platforms(well 2 I wouldn’t count xcloud) to sell on doesn’t mean some huge consumer base is automatically there.

You can’t be the leader of something when you don’t have the most of anything.

Sosokrates

Thing is... Those sales are made mostly on steam, which is another ecosystem entirely. Those aren't Xbox players.

Its still money Microsoft is getting.
Are we going to not count the money minecraft and acti-blizz games make on PlayStation as a metric for xboxs/gaming division success?
Same goes for bungie and playsation.

Because at the end of the day money made is the ultimate gage for success.

If in 5yrs Microsoft Xbox and gaming division make $20billion in a year and SIE makes $18billion are you going to call sony the market leader because they sold more PS5 consoles.

(The figures I use here are purely an example, dont take them as an actual prediction)

Sosokrates

All these players (not cuncurrent) and platforms and yet

In 2021 Sony accounted for 46% of all spend on console games, hardware and services​

And still makes more money than Xbox.

Just because they have 3 platforms(well 2 I wouldn’t count xcloud) to sell on doesn’t mean some huge consumer base is automatically there.

You can’t be the leader of something when you don’t have the most of anything.
Jeez, what part of "current gen" do you not understand.

Utherellus

Sony remains the market leader when it comes to driving spend, accounting for 46% of all revenues generated in the console market. Meanwhile, Nintendo's share dropped to 29% -- 2% less than in 2020 -- while Microsoft rose 1% to 25%.

I mean, if we look at whole picture, with help of Activision purchase, they boosted revenue x1.5 not by 1%

Now, of course deal is not done yet and we can't take it as reality as of right now.
But it's inevitable I guess, as soon as merging is complete, the landscape will be such:

1_WsR5wRO_s.jpg
r9BfTTK5Lfs.jpg

Lognor

Banned

Okay got it. I missed the memo that they switched over to XSX blades. That's great. Those cloud gamers are definitely current gen then!

Do we know any idea on how many people are cloud gaming with Xbox cloud? It's only going to grow.

Sosokrates

Same difference. Don’t know why you’re being so specific anyway.

Majority of those 25M GP numbers came from XB1 I hope you know.

Its really specific, i mean when people talk about the ps4 gen they arent talking about ps3, but I suppose things are bit different now with GaaS and online being a major thing. Its interesting that sony and ms are doing different strategies.

And, yeah those xbox one subcribers will be able to play starfield on it, which is pretty crazy.

How long do you think they will support that console?
PlayStation overall has over 110M players every month playing on their consoles. PS5 has sold less than 20M units.
PS4 will still be the home for F2P games for a long time.

You guys think GAF represents what's happening out there but we're the ones that switched first to the new hardware. This is a bubble.
Sony isn't pushing for the PS4 in 2022 for no reason. The console is still everywhere on their marketing campaigns, and getting trailers for their cross-gen games because that's their main source of income, not the PS5. It's improtant to show how "current" that piece of hardware is to them.

God of War Ragnarok and at least TLOU Factions will be cross gen (almost for sure for this last one). Sony isn't giving up on that PS4 money any time soon.

Sosokrates

PlayStation overall has over 110M players every month playing on their consoles. PS5 has sold less than 20M units.

You guys think GAF represents what's happening out there but we're the ones that switched first to the new hardware. This is a bubble.
Sony isn't pushing for the PS4 in 2022 for no reason. The console is still everywhere on their marketing campaigns, and getting trailers for their cross-gen games because that's their main source of income, not the PS5. It's improtant to show how "current" that piece of hardware is to them.

God of War Ragnarok and at least TLOU Factions will be cross gen (almost for sure for this last one). Sony isn't giving up on that PS4 money any time soon.
I hope not to much longer, games like warzone have lots of pop in probably because of being last gen.

kingfey

Banned

We seen what happened to these consoles, when they experienced a next gen game. There is a reason why returnal, medium, starfield and ratchet and calnk cant run on these systems.
No matter how big these systems are, they cant handle the next gen games. That is where Sony and MS make alot of money from.

These consoles might have more users, but they wont get enough games, because those games will be designed for ps5/xsx/s. Hope you guys understand that.

Last edited:

On Demand

Banned
Its really specific, i mean when people talk about the ps4 gen they arent talking about ps3, but I suppose things are bit different now with GaaS and online being a major thing. Its interesting that sony and ms are doing different strategies.

And, yeah those xbox one subcribers will be able to play starfield on it, which is pretty crazy.

I don’t see why you’re trying to spilt the generations when it comes to this topic of Sony being the market leader in spending. It’s the PS5 that’s already covering most of that anyway going by the software sales data.

Whether PS5+PS4 or just PS5 nothing would change for Sony having the highest revenue. The PS4 players are transitioning right to PS5.

Gamepass, PC, and Xcloud won’t make up for that.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Seeing some ppl feeling some type of way about this is....interesting.

Sony being the market leader shouldn't be controversial. They basically have been since last gen.

Lunarorbit

Even though Nintendo software is always at the top (besides fifa and cod) it kinda makes sense PS has such market. Not a ton of big sellers outside of Nintendo IP on the system while I gotta assume with the much more robust libraries that MS and PS have that that contributes a huge portion.

Top Bottom