• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In retrospective, what do you think of the sexualisation in video games back then?

kiphalfton

This ^
This is a better worded way of summing-up what I tried to get across a few days ago, here:

So maybe the answer is, “we need females in the game-developing offices”? Is that it? Do we need to have females designing the hot fictional female characters to make it be ok?
I’m just spitballing here-

I think it’s a very intriguing discussion. But I’m curious how it (sex, sexy characters, revealing clothes) will be in the future when I’m dead and gone.
They already have females at game devs designing characters... Problem is it's just the wrong females in these roles (i.e. those who fat/ugly/trans, are obviously jealous of attractive females, and who feel the need to force body positivy or other shite on everybody else).

Last edited:

BbMajor7th

Objectifiying woman can be "sometimes" damaging to some woman when its all encompassing on a huge scale and of course woman who want to look hot also contibute to this aswell. But non of that is an excuse for people to go after objectification itsself or go out of there way to blanket ban the male gaze or male exspression of what they (male artists) personally find attractive nor is it wrong to create highly unrealistic standards for "fictional" characters beauty. Men have just as much a right to exspress there sexual attractions as woman even if highy idealised or based on outdated distortions. Its there artistic right.

There is nothing wrong with objectification. Men and woman do it to each other all the time both in private and in public with people they dont know as well. We do it with our eyes we, do it with our minds all the time and we often do it with our art. An intelligent man can hold an objectified view of a woman and still fully respect her at the same time.It is 100% natural and shouldnt be under attack.

Like I said it can definatly be damaging on a massive scale, but to go after ever single instance of it like its some existential threat is delusional, an over correction and when it comes to interfering in male artistic exspression morally wrong.
Broadly speaking, I agree. All I'm pointing out is that people (on here) get way more bent out of shape about how women look than men do. It's a double standard. I don't have any problem with sexualised or non-sexualised representations of either side - but just go an check out any thread about TLOU P2 or Returnal to see how bent out of shape some folks get about setting appropriate (non-prettified) representations of women. You'd think somebody had shat in thier knapsacks. Me, I'm okay with both, variety is good.

CGNoire

Broadly speaking, I agree. All I'm pointing out is that people (on here) get way more bent out of shape about how women look than men do. It's a double standard. I don't have any problem with sexualised or non-sexualised representations of either side - but just go an check out any thread about TLOU P2 or Returnal to see how bent out of shape some folks get about setting appropriate (non-prettified) representations of women. You'd think somebody had shat in thier knapsacks. Me, I'm okay with both, variety is good.
I agree. The way they been responding to Aloy and the Returnal lead has been pretty cringe. So much hyperbole thrown around.

On a similar note I do think one of the issue we have seen in western female leads does infact have something to do with the scanning process and lens distortions. There doesmt seem to be a 100% agreed apon Standard workflow for high quality scanning yet.

Last edited:

small_law

It was fine. For 15-year-olds like me back then, a little T&A made games dangerous and fun. Hand-wringing parents hated that stuff, so it only made video games more alluring.

Gaming has lost its edge compared to those days. It's all so safe and inoffensive now.

Raonak

Banned
It never really appealed to me, the attractiveness of a character has no bearing on my opinions of a game.

I'm happy that, these days, we're getting a lot of variety in the types of characters.

I've always thought it was strange that most people have no problem with blowing up, killing, stabbing, shooting and generally maiming millions of videogame characters but show a bit of nipple and it's a mega controversy.

I can't say why this is but I do have the same double standards myself. I feel embarrassed if my wife sees me playing Dead or Alive but not if she sees me killing countless people in GTA.

Vaelka

That it was severely blown out of proportions, to the point people unironically just keep saying that women who are well-endowed = oversexualized ( which I'd argue is an extremely misogynistic and lacking in nuance take ) and also that a woman wearing shorts is oversexualized...

And also people hyperfocus on it with women and ignore the context of the games they exist in.
Soulcalibur for instance is a game filled with sexual themes for both genders and it also plays into the visual narrative of the characters.
Voldo is a submissive BDSM design and literally humps the air and has a ton of sexual moves and innuendos, and he's submissive because he submits to the evil sword.
If you pay attention the people who submit to it usually have submissive themes and wear cuffs, Ivy doesn't submit she actively fights against the evil sword and is also one of the closest related characters to it and therefore has the dominatrix and domination theme ( and doesn't wear cuffs ).
The evil sword is also specified as male while the good sword is specified as female and there's a lot of themes surrounding that too, the good female characters closest related to it in particular are often hyper feminine and have very conventionally hyper feminine traits and brighter designs.
Ivy has the darker themes because she's essentially weaponizing femininity against an evil ( male ) sword that is trying to dominate her.

People can think it's '' dumb '', but that's also a very narrow-minded Western view to have if you try and force that view on everyone else.
Japanese media is a VERY visual media and there are a ton of visual designs that are very intentional, '' Western '' media generally speaking isn't or at least not to the same extent.
Which is also why I think that Japanese media tends to have more imaginative and memorable character and world designs, the Souls games for instance are VERY Japanese even if the architecture is mostly European.
The approach to the world design is still super Japanese.

Just because it has to do with sex in some cases and in some games doesn't make it wrong.
Every time I hear people get madge about this it always comes across like people screaming '' stop having fun, I don't get it and I am an entitled brat ''.
You're not entitled to like everything, and other people have a right to have content and express themselves in ways you might not like.
If you can't accept that how are you any different at all than an angry parent who called into the tv station to get a show cancelled because you heard a f-bomb or trying to get a comic removed because it had a gay character or you for some reason just hate superheroes?

And also if men are allowed to show skin then so are women, and I don't think it's fair that only hyper masculine bodies are deemed as okay.
I don't really care if some female characters are obese or have gigantic bodybuilder steroid bodies, what I do care about and what does bother me is when people act like it's not okay to have characters on the opposite spectrum.
There's definitely a lot of weird uptight hate towards conventional femininity, even from people who claim to champion diversity and inclusivity.
And then on the other hand they're often fine with it when it's men expressing it ( stuff like drag queens or very effeminate men ).
I don't care about that either, I don't care if a game has a drag queen or a super feminine guy, it's just bullshit when people are then not accepting of it when it's a woman.

It was absolutely class.

Class according to who tho?
Who's the arbiter of this?
It's all completely subjective...

The same with how people claim to speak on behalf of women, women are not a monolith rofl.
Women do not agree about everything there's plenty of women who enjoy VERY sexualized content and then women who don't.
I fail to see why only one side of it should be listened to or get games and characters to play.
The industry is big enough for both...

I've always thought it was strange that most people have no problem with blowing up, killing, stabbing, shooting and generally maiming millions of videogame characters but show a bit of nipple and it's a mega controversy.

I can't say why this is but I do have the same double standards myself. I feel embarrassed if my wife sees me playing Dead or Alive but not if she sees me killing countless people in GTA.¨¨

I think that's fine really, I mean you kinda acknowledge that it's illogical too lol.
But we also can't really always control how we feel.
I think the issue is when people try to get things removed and control what everyone else gets to experience.
Like if you don't want to play DoA with your wife then that's fine, but at the same time DoA still has a right to exist and you don't need to play every game with your wife xD..

I wonder tho do you feel embarrassed too when it's sexualized men on screen?
Funnily enough I grew up playing Soulcalibur and I have two sisters the oldest used to play the games with me and I didn't feel embarrassed.
But I do think it's true a lot of people have these double-standards towards how they view women and men when it comes to this and it's culturally rooted in most cases.

Last edited:

Skelterz

Can’t say that I ever found myself thinking positively or negatively about the sexualisation in games ever it just never struck me there was anything to think about, it’s only with discussions like these people start to wonder if there are positives or negatives it seems.

-Zelda-

Banned
In the old days, it never bothered me because while the Ps1 and PS2 era were finally looking more like actual humans, it was still harmless. Nobody in my family cared that Eve was naked during her final battle in Parasite Eve, or all the nude enemies and statues in Castlevania Symphony of the Night, and they did not care when I fought the 90 percent naked Goddess from Final Fantasy 6 on snes. It only got awkward for games like Cyberpunk 2077 and Witcher 3 and garbage like TLOU2.

Umbasaborne

Banned
I don't think it was too bad in the PS3 era. 90's and early 2000's were fairly bad though. A lot of 'edge' and risque material, and female characters in skimpy outfits and 'interesting' poses.

Videogame marketing just figured we were all a bunch of horny male teenagers and the marketing followed suit. A lot of that has been toned down since then, and edgy marketing, 'tude, and overtly sexy stuff is just seen as 'cringe' nowadays.

Though I have to admit, I do sometimes miss the overtly sexual ads, subtle and not so subtle sex marketing tactics and edge of the 90's and early 00's.

Also that sex minigame in God of War, is it the one where he's in bed with two women and then it kinda cuts away and you see the bed shaking and then it'd done?

That has to be one of the worst threesome sex scenes I'd (not) seen. How the fuck is he pleasing those two women? It's like he's just plowing one really hard with the same rhythm, no change. Kratos seems like a horrible love maker.
One of the face, one on the waist

SaintALia

One of the face, one on the waist
Not with that hard banging he's not. Unless she's glued to his face like an acrobatic facehugger while he's laying down some pipe on the other chick(unless it's K-1-1).

All I'm saying is, the developers should have properly worked out the mechanics of this throwaway sex scene that the players never see in their videogame.

Last edited:
Top Bottom