• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In the end, isn't it all about the games? A look at PlayStation's monster 2020. Is this why you buy into the PlayStation ecosystem? Poll inside!

Isn't this what it's all about?

• Total voters
Are we witnessing this year one of the best years for exclusive content for the PlayStation ecosystem? Does this year surpass or compete with PS2 GOAT days in terms of exclusive games and content?
Is this the reason you buy into the PlayStation ecosystem?
In the end, isn't it all about the games?
Are you satisfied as a PlayStation customer? Is the competition elsewhere doing better?

Feel free to opine and discuss.

checkkkkkkk.jpg

Some additional food for thought.

You can also add to the list:

Spelunky 2 (MC 88)
Pistol Whip (MC 88)
Street Fighter V: Champion Edition (MC 82)
Granblue Fantasy: Versus (MC 78)

The Pathless (TBA 2020, PS4/PS5)
Oddworld: Soulstorm (TBA 2020, PS4/PS5)
JETT: The Far Shore (TBA 2020, PS4/PS5)
Kena: Bridge of Spirits (TBA 2020, PS4/PS5)

As almost every year in this generation Sony has the biggest and more diverse list of great exclusives, with great games for everyone,

Same will happen in 2021 with God of War, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, God of War Raknarok, Horizon Forbidden West, Returnal, Deathloop, Ghostwire Tokyo, Bugsnax, Solar Ash or Stray. And then we also have Gran Turismo 7, Final Fantasy XVI, Final Fantasy VII Remake Ep. 2, Project Athia or Little Devil Inside, they don't have release year but I'd bet at least one or two will be released on 2021 and most of the other ones should be for maybe 2022.

Last edited:

A.Romero

Yes, Sony's strongest point are their first party offerings. Everything else is not as good as the competition.

Their games are not everyone's cup of tea but at least in my opinion every game they do they do it better with exception of FPS (Halo is much better than Killzone objectively although I like Killzone better).

yurinka

Spelunky 2 (MC 88)
Pistol Whip (MC 88)

As almost every year in this generation Sony has the biggest and more diverse list of great exclusives, with great games for everyone,

Same will happen in 2021 with God of War, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, God of War Raknarok, Horizon Forbidden West, Returnal, Deathloop, Ghostwire Tokyo, Bugsnax, Solar Ash or Stray. And then we also have Gran Turismo 7, Final Fantasy XVI, Final Fantasy VII Remake Ep. 2, Project Athia or Little Devil Inside, they don't have release year but I'd bet at least one or two will be released on 2021 and most of the other ones should be for maybe 2022.

Last edited:

MrS

Banned
It's been a great year. The coming months are going to be absolutely insane. 2020 is one for the books. Even non-exclusives like Warzone, Zombie Army 4 and Cuphead have made this year, for me, the best this gen.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
OP or someone should add equivalents for Xbox and Nintendo, at the end of the day looking objectively at the output for the year from the every member of the big 3 console providers is the only fair way to judge.

Last edited:
OP or someone should add equivalents for Xbox and Nintendo, at the end of the day looking objectively at the output for the year from the every member of the big 3 console providers is the only fair way to judge.

I thought about it but I don't follow them as closely and I certainly didn't want to step on a minefield by missing a particular game - then get a torrent of bias calls.

Last edited:

RedVIper

Banned

Spelunky 2 (MC 88)
Pistol Whip (MC 88)

Those games aren't exclusives.

Neither are half the games OP posted. Knitted Knight Knitted Knight

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

They’ll be some excuses by people who’s console doesn’t even release with a 1st party game...

Next year: Horizon 2, Gran Turismo 7, Ratchet and Clank, Returnal, God of War Ragnarok, Final Fantasy 16 and possibly more...

Playstation is doomed guys....

In reality Only Nintendo can compete with this quality

Last edited:

RedVIper

Banned
There's only one game on that list that would make me buy a PS5, and that's Demon's Souls. I don't have to play it day one though, so I can wait.

I'm switching from PS4 to Xbox because of Gamepass. PS4 was my first Playstation console, and while I had a lot of fun with it, I realized that Sony's classic "3rd person punchy cover-shooty cinematic 20 hours of cutscences" games aren't really for me. They're audiovisually impressive, but that's about it.

I considered staying in the Playstation ecosystem if Sony offers good back compat (i.e. free upgrades) and PSNow becomes better and a stronger competitor to Gamepass, but that doesn't seem to be happening.

A big reason is also that I'm using Gamepass on PC, and my PC is slowly becoming to old. Now I have the choice, do I upgrade my PC for $1000+, or do I just buy an Xbox and call it a day? Easy choice tbh.

Tschumi

But, uh, Jim Ryan said some of their PS5 games will run on ps4 and, uh, he said that PS5 can only emulate PS4 games at the moment... PLAYSTATION DIES ZIS GENERATION JAWHOOOOL ze people vant to play pubg on their XSX, jawhol!!

nordique

I personally don’t have time to play that many games

but I’m a fan of several kinds of games, I like my (mainline) Mario, I love my Zelda, I love Metroid, I like my god of war and ghost of Tsushima, really enjoyed the uncharted series ans wanted to see that story though, loved the original last of us and played through the second despite my mixed feelings

I just get systems because of games or franchises I enjoy

so I suppose the answer is yes but not because of every single one of those games. Rather Sony offers games I have enjoyed since the PS2 and I continue to invest my free hours in those select games. I have a feeling I will add Spider-Man remaster and miles to that list

I also don’t have a gaming pc, so despite my extensive free epic games collection, It’s really console gaming for me. I like gamepass and received amazing value for it earlier this year, so series x for me. I know I’m going to need to play god of war 2 and any ff7r second/third part so ps5 for me. And I know will play my mainline Mario and Zelda and Metroid gamers so whatever Nintendo console for me

Last edited:
Nioh 2 is coming to PC.

You said half the games on my list.

Nioh 2 can not be played anywhere else other than PlayStation as of this moment. You can do the waiting game as a PC player, and make an educated guess based on the previous Nioh port but that's about it.
Final Fantasy VII Remake is on the same boat as Nioh 2. Can't be played anywhere else right now other than on PlayStation. Other platforms are on a waiting game, educated guess for PC and Xbox.
Fall Guys is on PC but on consoles it can only be played on a PS4. Nintendo and Xbox are out and on the waiting game.
Predator Hunting Grounds is the same as Fall Guys, on PC but only on consoles for PS4. Waiting game, educated guess, Xbox potentially.
Godfall, same scenario as Predator Hunting Grounds. Not available on any other console other than PS5. Waiting game, educated guess, Xbox potentially.

The rest are more or less locked. Port begging on PC could work on the 2 ATLUS games on that list but if we take the previous wait time for similar titles, that's like a full console generation passing by (in other words, irrelevant). Safe to say those games all have some significant exclusivity aspect to them that benefit PlayStation.

Using that criteria however, Xbox has no exclusive games and neither does Nintendo. Cause the not-so-secret secret is that PC gamers don't port beg Nintendo games cause they have Yuzu being able to emulate Switch games like Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey right now - and the emulator makers get funded by enthusiast for their efforts. We know how it's.

Last edited:

Quasicat

I definitely agree that the PlayStation has some great exclusives, but to be honest, so does Nintendo and Xbox. It’s pretty expensive overall, but I buy every system in a generation so that I can play all exclusives. The best part about PlayStation, is that the prices drop so quickly. I wait until the mid cycle refresh, and pick up a ton of games at a fraction of the original price.

oagboghi2

checkkkkkkk.jpg

Some additional food for thought.
There is zero variety on Playstation guys. Everything is a 3rd person action game don'tcha know." 🙄

I definitely agree that the PlayStation has some great exclusives, but to be honest, so does Nintendo and Xbox. It’s pretty expensive overall, but I buy every system in a generation so that I can play all exclusives. The best part about PlayStation, is that the prices drop so quickly. I wait until the mid cycle refresh, and pick up a ton of games at a fraction of the original price.

Last edited:

RedVIper

Banned
You said half the games on my list.

Nioh 2 can not be played anywhere else other than PlayStation as of this moment. You can do the waiting game as a PC player, and make an educated guess based on the previous Nioh port but that's about it.
Final Fantasy VII Remake is on the same boat as Nioh 2. Can't be played anywhere else right now other than on PlayStation. Other platforms are on a waiting game, educated guess for PC and Xbox.
Fall Guys is on PC but on consoles it can only be played on a PS4. Nintendo and Xbox are out and on the waiting game.
Predator Hunting Grounds is the same as Fall Guys, on PC but only on consoles for PS4. Waiting game, educated guess, Xbox potentially.
Godfall, same scenario as Predator Hunting Grounds. Not available on any other console other than PS5. Waiting game, educated guess, Xbox potentially.

The rest are more or less locked. Port begging on PC could work on the 2 ATLUS games on that list but if we take the previous wait time for similar titles, that's like a full console generation passing by (in other words, irrelevant). Safe to say those games all have some significant exclusivity aspect to them that benefit PlayStation.

Using that criteria however, Xbox has no exclusive games and neither does Nintendo. Cause the not-so-secret secret is that PC gamers don't port beg Nintendo games cause they have Yuzu being able to emulate Switch games like Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey right now - and the emulator makers get funded by enthusiast for their efforts. We know how it's.

They're aren't exclusive. That's my entire point.

Or did we start treating timed exclusives as actual exclusives.

Nehezir

Banned
sorry, I think there's more to it than the roster.

But then again, I think games as a whole should compete and systems should compete via features and that requires eliminating exclusivity as an accepted practice.

Falcs

Banned
PlayStation all the way. It's all about the games. Simple as that. I don't care about hardware. It's why I've never owned an xBox. They either have no exclusive games that I'm interested in, or any games available on it that I might be interested in are either on PC or PS4 (which has the better exclusives).

sorry, I think there's more to it than the roster.

But then again, I think games as a whole should compete and systems should compete via features and that requires eliminating exclusivity as an accepted practice.

That's what I tried to get across with the second poll option for those that think or opine as you do. Nothing wrong in that.

Top Bottom