• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In the end, isn't it all about the games? A look at PlayStation's monster 2020. Is this why you buy into the PlayStation ecosystem? Poll inside!

Isn't this what it's all about?

• Total voters

Vawn

Banned
So PlayStation fans are the ones considering games also on other platforms or coming to other platforms as exclusive now?

When people complain about Xbox One's lack of quality exclusives, it is not because they are accounting for the PC. If a game is only on Xbox and PC, we all (both Xbox and PS players) call than an Xbox exclusive.

It is strange that its the Xbox fans who are so quick to call the few PS console exclusives on PC as "not exclusive", but ignore the fact that 100% of Xbox's console exclusives are on PC.

I think that they actually believe that MS owns the PC platform or Steam and that you get a free PX when buying an Xbox or vise-versa.

yurinka

I believe if its exclusive to your ecosystem its an exclusive. Timed exclusives aren't exclusives. Console-only exclusives aren't exclusives. I understand this isn't the thought by all but it's how I and how the industry for a long time operated. This means Ori isn't an exclusive for MS and HZD isn't an exclusive for Sony. Because, regardless of time frame, they became available elsewhere. This also means that some games can be exclusive and then when we learn information that wasn't available at the time they can stop being exclusive. I wouldn't refer to HZD as an exclusive the minute I learned it would be made available elsewhere because the fact it is available elsewhere at some point removes the very point of it beingb referred to as exclusive. We didn't know this would happen so we rightly referred to it as an exclusive when it first came out. That's okay. But to refer to it as an exclusive any time after is a bit much.

I think the expansion of console games and IPs into the PC market has made this time of hardline distinction necessary. It isn't an exclusive if it is available on PC. I hold MS to that and I hold Sony to that and I would hold Nintendo to that if there was ever a chance that would be a thing. I don't consider MS games that now are available on PC exclusives and I won't do the same with an added "console" modifier to make it SEEM like their exclusive for marketing reasons. Those are "console" exclusives for the companies because that's how they want to market it. Us the consumers are not marketing the product and so we don't need to use that wording. It's just to make certain groups feel better and more exclusive (haha).

For me, the word exclusive is pretty clear. All the extras tacked on "console" or "timed" are just marketing terms (because they are) to make them SEEM exclusive when they're not. An exclusive is literally that exclusive. Not "exclusive for six months" because that's not exclusive. Not "exclusive but available elsewhere" because that's not exclusive.
'Console exclusive' has two words: one refering what it is -an exclusive- and other to the market where it's exclusive. In this case, consoles (so can be released on PC or mobile).

'Timed exclusive' has two words: one to explain what it is -an exclusive- and the other to specify it will only be that for a limited period of time.

'Full exclusive' has two words: one to explain what it is -an exclusive- and the other one to specify that isn't a partial exclusive like the other ones in terms of time or platforms types.

People use these words because of their meaning. People would call them something else if they would be something else, and it isn't case. If most people use 'exclusive' in their name to talk about them is for a reason.

Same happens when most people also call the Earth globe or say it's round because of the meaning of these words, which match what the scientific facts say. Same goes covid-19, most people think it exists because of the facts: the scientist isolated a fucking coronavirus identified last year that is killing directly or indirectly a ton of people and other scientists verified it because could replicate it.

Sure, some say the Earth is flat and the covid doesn't exist. But it doesn't mean they are right.

Jaxcellent

The lineup is solid like a house
pvTGUuX.jpg

Last edited:

RedVIper

Banned
I'm not trying nothing, it's the name they have and what they mean.

Like it or not, be a stupid arrogant or not, if you want to play a timed console exclusive in another console you'll have to wait for a certain amount of months or years.

Ok. In this case, how should be call these 3 types of exclusives?

Games that aren't playable on the consoles of the competition when released are some sort of exclusive. This is the case of all the games I listed.

Then there are different types of exclusives depending on if they are also released on PC or if after a certain amount of months or years they are allowed to appear in the consoles of the competition.

Most people do not consider games that are available on PC and on consoles to be exclusives.

There's been whole arguments about whether xbox even has exclusives since all the games are releasing on PC nowadays.

You're using a vastly different definition from everyone else to make Playstation look better, which is silly, because Sony does have great exclusives.

Are these game simultaneously exclusive on PC and exclusive on consoles?

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I honestly feel like both console launches are incredibly weak. Especially compared to launches we've seen in previous gens that housed more than one game that you felt like you NEEDED to have.

I'm happy for those that see success in this launch. But I'm not seeing that at all.

That being SAID, it's all about games and exclusives. Sony has some great IPs and exclusives, and I can't wait to see them on the PS5.

DeepSpace5D

No doubt, it’s been a stellar year for Playstation between PS4 and PS5 in 2020. 2021, assuming no major delays, appears to be a very strong first year for the PS5. Horizon II and God of War will be competing against each other as GotY candidates.

No doubt, it’s been a stellar year for Playstation between PS4 and PS5 in 2020. 2021, assuming no major delays, appears to be a very strong first year for the PS5. Horizon II and God of War will be competing against each other as GotY candidates.

I think one of them skips to 2022. Probably God of War: Ragnarok but we'll see. It would be a holiday banger for sure.

petran79

Banned
Many are available or coming to Windows or are re-releases of previous games.

Hardly a match for PS2 regarding, exclusives, though back then Gamecube, Dreamcast and Xbox were much better in competition compared to today and the first 2 had better games in the first years of 2000.

Bolivar687

Banned
Not my cup of tea, but can't deny they've had a great year. I'm not chomping at the bit for PS5 just yet but will most likely grab one next year.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Are we witnessing this year one of the best years for exclusive content for the PlayStation ecosystem? Does this year surpass or compete with PS2 GOAT days in terms of exclusive games and content?
Is this the reason you buy into the PlayStation ecosystem?
In the end, isn't it all about the games?
Are you satisfied as a PlayStation customer? Is the competition elsewhere doing better?

Feel free to opine and discuss.

checkkkkkkk.jpg

Some additional food for thought.

tenor.gif

Idleyes

Neo Member
Yea mi buy playstation fi di excusives. Mi nuh buy any oddah PlayStation games but dem exclusive ones though.

Translation: If it were not for the exclusives I wouldn't buy a PlayStation. My preferred system is PC. I also own the Switch & Xbox for the same reason. If all games released on all platforms id only own a PC.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
I think the Playstation had a stellar 2018,2019, and 2020 tbh. They've put out awesome titles. Just wish we could share some of the love so everyone can appreciate the splendor of swinging around as Spiderman or taking in the incredible art direction of Kratos and kid. It's been my only gripe I've had with Playstatoin. But yeah, can't argue they haven't put out some bangers.

Yea mi buy playstation fi di excusives. Mi nuh buy any oddah PlayStation games but dem exclusive ones though.

Translation: If it were not for the exclusives I wouldn't buy a PlayStation. My preferred system is PC. I also own the Switch & Xbox for the same reason. If all games released on all platforms id only own a PC.

Exclusives matter is what you're saying. I concur.

Nubulax

At least you can just get gamepass on PC and not need to own an XBOX anymore..so savings there for you at least

Bryank75

Banned
Very excited to hear if we are getting game specific upgrades for GOT and TLOU2 and I still have a great deal to play this year even before I think about launch exclusives and other games on PS5.

Also extremely excited for what is unannounced by PS Studios.

Very excited to hear if we are getting game specific upgrades for GOT and TLOU2 and I still have a great deal to play this year even before I think about launch exclusives and other games on PS5.

Also extremely excited for what is unannounced by PS Studios.

I think Destruction AllStars may get delayed. We've seen so little.

An unannounced title will probably be announced or teased at the VGA's. But my gut tells me that we get a Horizon II Forbidden West trailer.

Bryank75

Banned
I think Destruction AllStars may get delayed. We've seen so little.

An unannounced title will probably be announced or teased at the VGA's. But my gut tells me that we get a Horizon II Forbidden West trailer.
They have so much in the works, I don't see us with much free time no matter what happens with delays...

I'm actually worried about stuff coming out too close together.

Are you getting other stuff in the launch period?

Last edited:
They have so much in the works, I don't see us with much free time no matter what happens with delays...

I'm actually worried about stuff coming out too close together.

Are you getting other stuff in the launch period?

GodFall, Cyberpunk and Spider Miles Morales will be my backlog for launch period. Yes, the problem is time.

I personally get a series x so I can replay those 12 og Xbox supported by the "BC" feature! 🤕

Nothing wrong with nostalgia. Specially if it's a good game.

Nothing wrong with nostalgia. Specially if it's a good game.
It was a slight of hand because what MS calls backward compatible has a laughably low level of "compatibility" especially for the og Xbox... Sony probably has more PS2 games available on the ps store than MS has of og Xbox and they don't act like it was the second coming of Christ.

FrankWza

That^^^ lines up with what I’ve said. This PS5 launch is the best in 3 generations. I think DeS is going to be the best launch title in that time. That’s over 20 years and half of the time the industry has existed.

Last edited:

acm2000

theres not a single game on that list i would want to play through so no, but i ditched consoles at the end of the 360s life.

edit: should add neither ps5 or series x have any launch games that interest me either, really nothing good is coming till 2021.

Last edited:

Adam Wart

Neo Member
Not long ago I became a fan of Overwatch which is available both for PS and Xbox so I chose my console because I have been a Sony fan for many years so far :) maybe if you play some exclusive game then it can be the reason for choosing some particular console. But that is not my case.

Top Bottom