• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In the event that PS5 Pro does release in 2024 but there is no new Xbox Series console because there is already Series S & X

Hoddi

It's still too early to call. But next-gen games may well target 1080p on the PS5/XSX with FSR (or whatever) handling the upscale to 4k. Series S would probably be relegated to 720p at that point with the Pro consoles coming closer to native 4k rendering.

There's otherwise nothing preventing Microsoft from releasing upgraded consoles. I don't think it's called Xbox Series for no reason. I think it's supposed to be a series of consoles.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Simple Xbox Series already have 2 models so adding a 3rd might complicate things for devs unless the plan is to faze out Series S when the new console come out but still devs would have to have games that run on Series S , Series X & the new console. We already have one game where the dev is running into problems.

On a weaker sku there could be some legitimate extra work, as there likely is in some cases for XSS. However, an upper-end sku can never really present a development problem, turning features up from a lower base game is never going to be a limiting issue (anymore so than a 4090 is on PC). Zero reason to faze out the XSS either, because the dev burden for it would still be there.

onQ123

It's still too early to call. But next-gen games may well target 1080p on the PS5/XSX with FSR (or whatever) handling the upscale to 4k. Series S would probably be relegated to 720p at that point with the Pro consoles coming closer to native 4k rendering.

There's otherwise nothing preventing Microsoft from releasing upgraded consoles. I don't think it's called Xbox Series for no reason. I think it's supposed to be a series of consoles.

I really think new Series consoles are on the way & is the reason behind slow production right now.

Crayon

It would be a little weird if one lay ched without the the other. On the other hand, ms did the cut down console and Sony just went with a discless version. So they don't need to be in complete lockstep.

Thanati

Not really sure what the Op’s question/statement was.

Anyway, I’m my view, if Sony released a Pro and MS didn’t, I honestly don’t think it’s a big deal. Can we honestly say that the PS4 pro games were THAT much better?

Hoddi

I really think new Series consoles are on the way & is the reason behind slow production right now.
I hadn't heard about that but it wouldn't be impossible.

Anyway, I don't think that Sony's 'we still believe in generations' line came out of nowhere. I think the Xbox Series is simply going to be a series of consoles and Playstation eventually as well. Older systems will go out of support after some years and you will be expected to keep up just like on iOS devices.

Series S parts besides the GDDR6 is actually perfect for a portable after a die shrink or 2
You're not wrong, but for the life of me I just don't see an Xbox handheld working in a world where the Steamdeck exists. Especially when you can play MS first party games on the Deck. Frankly the Steamdeck is the Xbox handheld.

Neo_game

By next year both PS5 and SX should have a slim version and 100$ price cut at least. These will be the standard. Honestly in 2024 SS is not needed. I think Microsoft will have to drop SS to make Pro console.

Gobjuduck

Banned
This generation hasn't really started yet. I dont believe in the PS5 pro rumors, atleast the idea of it coming by the end of 2024.

My guess is that pro consoles release around the time of GTA6.

The ps4 pro was a mistake, it came out way too early and didn't offer enough power. Dont think sony will make that mistake again, unless they desperately want a hardware advantage over xbox.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Even if does come out people here still going to complain about how graphics is not next gen enough, blah, blah, blah......
computer-tired.gif

bitbydeath

I hadn't heard about that but it wouldn't be impossible.

Anyway, I don't think that Sony's 'we still believe in generations' line came out of nowhere. I think the Xbox Series is simply going to be a series of consoles and Playstation eventually as well. Older systems will go out of support after some years and you will be expected to keep up just like on iOS devices.
Bragging rights is about the gist of it, RT Is rubbish (does anyone care?) and I doubt Resolution would increase that much.

That just leaves frame rate and I’m still good with locked 30FPS.

Iced Arcade

Yes finally just now getting PS5s in stock at stores... Yes they are totally releasing a pro unit soon. Lol go way looks.

Beaides...let developers optimize and squeeze consoles like they use to.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
According to some Xbox been keeping all the Series X chips for the servers so it would be strange if they held off on selling Series X to consumers then all of a sudden be able to make even bigger chips next year for the Xbox Series XX .

MS will make a Series XL regardless. It'll 100% happen.

Robb

Gold Member
Series S and X are the regular SKU’s, just like Ps5/Ps5Digital. MS will likely also release a ‘pro’ model. They’ve already prepared for it by naming their consoles “Series”.

I bet they’ll just release a “Series Ω”, or something like that.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
According to some Xbox been keeping all the Series X chips for the servers so it would be strange if they held off on selling Series X to consumers then all of a sudden be able to make even bigger chips next year for the Xbox Series XX .

I agree. I can't see them releasing a pro model in 2024 when Series X really hasn't had it's time to shine as Xbox flagship console. It might have been a different story if more first party games were actually released from 2020 to present, or if they showed consistent advantage over competition but that hasn't panned out. Releasing a pro model for SX will leave SX purchasers ticked off, and for good reason.

By next year both PS5 and SX should have a slim version and 100$ price cut at least. These will be the standard. Honestly in 2024 SS is not needed. I think Microsoft will have to drop SS to make Pro console.

This will never happen. Series S has become Xbox's main focus and that will remain so for the remainder of the generation . So much of their marketing centers around the SS with talks of Gamepass and quantity of games available via service, with less focus on hardware/technical capabilities.

It world be interesting if Sony drops the original PS5 hardware altogether. And replaces it with a slimmer disc-less PS5 Pro (named PS5 R) at a 50$ lost.

Where they can recoup money with an optional 100$ disc drive, or thur digital PSN sales.

They released
PS4 : Nov 2013
PS4 Slim & Pro: Sep & Nov 2016

PS5: Nov 2020
PS5 Slim & Pro: Nov 2023
PS5 R: Nov 2023

at 500$ with optional 100$ disc drive. PS5 digital and Disc discontinued.
Wouldn’t surprise me if Xbox’s Pro console handily outclasses PS5 Pro, like last time.

Complacent Sony is the weakest Sony.
Xbox One X came out one year after for 100$ more.

mckmas8808

I think they will always have a physical console to match whatever level the cloud games will be but I think they will take their time making these upgrades.

I agree. There's no way MS would do this in 2024 though. It doesn't match up with their goals. There's a reason the Series S is the majority sold Xbox Series console at the moment.

mckmas8808

It world be interesting if Sony drops the original PS5 hardware altogether. And replaces it with a slimmer disc-less PS5 Pro (named PS5 R) at a 50$ lost.

Where they can recoup money with an optional 100$ disc drive, or thur digital PSN sales.

They released
PS4 : Nov 2013
PS4 Slim & Pro: Sep & Nov 2016

PS5: Nov 2020
PS5 Slim & Pro: Nov 2023
PS5 R: Nov 2023

at 500$ with optional 100$ disc drive. PS5 digital and Disc discontinued.

Xbox One X came out one year after for 100$ more.

You mean PS5 R in Nov 2024 right?....

onQ123

I agree. I can't see them releasing a pro model in 2024 when Series X really hasn't had it's time to shine as Xbox flagship console. It might have been a different story if more first party games were actually released from 2020 to present, or if they showed consistent advantage over competition but that hasn't panned out. Releasing a pro model for SX will leave SX purchasers ticked off, and for good reason.

This will never happen. Series S has become Xbox's main focus and that will remain so for the remainder of the generation . So much of their marketing centers around the SS with talks of Gamepass and quantity of games available via service, with less focus on hardware/technical capabilities.

I think this was the case until recently I'm thinking they might be rethinking the Series S push because I really don't know what's going on but the used market & refurbish market is being flooded with Series S right now & all the fire sales I think they over shipped or something & they are getting in their own way now .

I don't think they planned for it to go like this but Microsoft is doing a lot of strange marketing right now to pick things up.

ParaSeoul

The ps5 pro story needs to die. People who know why it won't happen have already explained why it won't,the chip shortage basically killed all possibility even if it was planned which considering how much more powerful the ps5 was compared to ps4 against hardware at their respective release date probably means it wasn't.

onQ123

The ps5 pro story needs to die. People who know why it won't happen have already explained why it won't,the chip shortage basically killed all possibility even if it was planned which considering how much more powerful the ps5 was compared to ps4 against hardware at their respective release date probably means it wasn't.
Have you been under a rock or something? PS5 is selling like hotcakes the chip shortage is over

You mean PS5 R in Nov 2024 right?....
I don’t. I mean 2023.

Im implying the rumored PS5 slim for this year (with the optional drive) is the PS5 Pro. And Sony will make the PS5 “Pro” the default model. I think Sony will try to pull a fast one on Xbox again.

PS5 R for Reality… Rays… Revision.

mckmas8808

I don’t. I mean 2023.

Im implying the rumored PS5 slim for this year (with the optional drive) is the PS5 Pro. And Sony will make the PS5 “Pro” the default model. I think Sony will try to pull a fast one on Xbox again.

PS5 R for Reality… Rays… Revision.

Oh god! LOL!!!! No way. It's way too early for a pro version. Fall of 2024 would be perfect.

draliko

The thing that scary me the most is that some of you guys have the right to vote... If we get a ps5pro we'll get a xsx pro, but midgen refresh are anything but sure this time around... The war on SW has started.. (also the fact that we don't really have nice tech at the right price point to really differentiate from the current gen)

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
I think this was the case until recently I'm thinking they might be rethinking the Series S push because I really don't know what's going on but the used market & refurbish market is being flooded with Series S right now & all the fire sales I think they over shipped or something & they are getting in their own way now .

I don't think they planned for it to go like this but Microsoft is doing a lot of strange marketing right now to pick things up.
Where did you get this data from ?

A quick search on Ebay shows 841 Series S for sale and for comparison 4800+ PS5's

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
If we are turning consoles into shitty pcs, there is no reason Xbox can’t release Xbox series xl and pro xl.

People demanding pro models from consoles while even now we have to choose modes based on df videos. There is nothing in the game often to help me decide what mode does what and how it runs. Again, pc gamers ruined even consoles.

Kataploom

Gold Member
A Pro console seems difficult due to price in my opinion but there must be things we don't know happening backstage, PS4 was already weak on release so a more powerful version was like a shot on the ground but PS5 is at least a decent mid end PC level even now, going the high end at a reasonable price doesn't look logical by how the market is today.

Now, if they do so, Xbox would have troubles, they'd have to release another pro version too and that adds a third SKU to their development pipeline plus the Sony new SKU, which would put their relationship with devs on a difficult situation...

Now, of they release it by, say, 2026 to prolong the generation considering how slow it started, it would total sense, devs have barely scratched the surface of these machines, the tools meme may seem like a joke but it's completely real, more for MS than for Sony, also AI may probably help devs make games quickly and by then, having to switch generation seems like a bad idea, financially...

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
How is everything bad news for Xbox around here?

Something could happen that isn't even currently a rumour: uh oh, bad news for Xbox.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Dependent on tech and what want from ms, if waiting a year or so after Sony to deliver a much more powerful machine, similar to one X...I would want them to wait.

Give me the most powerful console available at the time possible. Games aren't pushing these consoles and end of 2024 they won't either. I'd happily wait until 2025 for a series xXx.

Man I loved my one X. Still have one, thing was a beast.

Ronin_7

Banned
Sony will likely have 2 SKUs on the market by that point:

1. PlayStation 5 With Detachable Drive - 299-399$
2. PlayStation 5 Pro with Detachable Drive - 499-599$

Xbox on the other hand if i had to guess:

1. Xbox Series S - 149-199$
2. Xbox Series X - 299-349$
3. Xbox Series Y - 499-599$

ParaSeoul

Have you been under a rock or something? PS5 is selling like hotcakes the chip shortage is over
Yeah it is,but it would have affected the decision to add another console in the line up back then that would have eaten into the limited at the time resources. Please get some reading comprehension.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Devs have to optimize for 3 Xbox consoles.

It's going to be a fucking pain for them...watch. More so than it already is now.

onQ123

Where did you get this data from ?

A quick search on Ebay shows 841 Series S for sale and for comparison 4800+ PS5's

The best selling Series S on Amazon for the last month or so has been the renewed Series S from Amazon Renewed Also in last week Digital Foundry Direct Richard was talking about how the Series S is all over the Facebook market place for 100 Pounds

Go to the 12:20 mark in this video

lvoFxzt.jpg

iNOJ9rr.jpg

Last edited:

knocksky

Banned
Knowing that the other company is doing it doesn't mean that they will follow 😂

PS4 Pro & Xbox One X didn't really sell too well
If they didn’t really sell well, then why do you think that they will bother?

Seeing as we haven’t even scratched the surface of the current consoles plus the shortages of everything. I am still sceptical of pro models.

The thread has a console war smell to it

Last edited:

onQ123

If they didn’t really sell well, then why do you think that they will bother?

Seeing as we haven’t even scratched the surface of the current consoles plus the shortages of everything. I am still sceptical of pro models.

The thread has a console war smell to it

If I remember correctly the point of the PS4 Pro was to slow down the PlayStation Owners from moving to PC at the end of the generation.

onQ123

Yeah it is,but it would have affected the decision to add another console in the line up back then that would have eaten into the limited at the time resources. Please get some reading comprehension.

The Pro consoles was a small part of the market last gen so even with a chip shortage they would still be doing the R&D for it & deciding for or against it depending on how things are going when it's closer to a release.

Top Bottom