• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In the event that PS5 Pro does release in 2024 but there is no new Xbox Series console because there is already Series S & X

onQ123

PS5 Slim & PS5 Pro vs Series S & Series X would make things kind of awkward don't you think?

As of now Series X haven't really taken off so it wouldn't have much of a head start over PS5 Pro as far as userbase go .
Right now DF have PS5 vs Series X in faceoffs when there is only around 1/3 people who actually have Xbox Series X vs PS5 at the most.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
If there is a Ps5 Pro, there is also 100% Xbox Pro something. Both know exactly what the other is building and plan accordingly.
Busch Beer GIF by Busch

onQ123

What is it exactly you want ?

I think he wants Xbox to go away. It's holding back the PS5 pro. Imagine what the PS5 pro could achieve if it wasn't for that pesky Series X, And S.

I'm saying that Xbox released a high end model along with the lower end model in 2020 but it haven't really taken off with a PS5 Pro right around the corner.

onQ123

If there is a Ps5 Pro, there is also 100% Xbox Pro something. Both know exactly what the other is building and plan accordingly.

Busch Beer GIF by Busch

According to some Xbox been keeping all the Series X chips for the servers so it would be strange if they held off on selling Series X to consumers then all of a sudden be able to make even bigger chips next year for the Xbox Series XX .

Helghan

PS5 Slim & PS5 Pro vs Series S & Series X would make things kind of awkward don't you think?

As of now Series X haven't really taken off so it wouldn't have much of a head start over PS5 Pro as far as userbase go .
Right now DF have PS5 vs Series X in faceoffs when there is only around 1/3 people who actually have Xbox Series X vs PS5 at the most.
How will it be awkward? Is the PS5 suddenly as expensive as the Series S? No? Then it’s different consoles for different market segments and nothing changed.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
According to some Xbox been keeping all the Series X chips for the servers so it would be strange if they held off on selling Series X to consumers then all of a sudden be able to make even bigger chips next year for the Xbox Series XX .
If memory serves correct I think those server upgrades to Series X chips were complete at the end of 2021, I THINK

Drew1440

Really interested in what naming scheme Microsoft goes with, the smart thing would be to stick a number at the end. That said, I think Microsoft are more interested in an Xbox portable (Like Switch/ Steam Deck) than a high end console. I'm not sure if the One X did well for Xbox.

//DEVIL//

I'm saying that Xbox released a high end model along with the lower end model in 2020 but it haven't really taken off with a PS5 Pro right around the corner.
What ps5 pro around the corner ? It's just one guy on the nwr claiming things since last 2 years and nothing happened.

And if there is to be a ps5 pro, there will be Xbox pro as well around the same time and probably more powerful than the ps5 pro if history anything to go by, the Xbox series x will just get discontinued and get replaced with the newer version. Problem solved

onQ123

Really interested in what naming scheme Microsoft goes with, the smart thing would be to stick a number at the end. That said, I think Microsoft are more interested in an Xbox portable (Like Switch/ Steam Deck) than a high end console. I'm not sure if the One X did well for Xbox.

Series S parts besides the GDDR6 is actually perfect for a portable after a die shrink or 2

sodstall

Hasnt the xcloud streaming dongle "KEYSTONE" thing been teased already? They dont want to make another model(s). They just wanna dress it up in branding or sell you on MTXs.

LordOfChaos

If they're doing Pro's they're both doing Pros

SilverLiquidCuscus-max-1mb.gif

As much as each party will have NDAs with AMD, they're not perfect and work with a lot of the same teams and people, they're going to know that the other is launching a mid gen refresh at least.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
There will probably be a xbox series equivalent to the rumored PS5 Pro. But the what if is interesting. From what we know the pro version is all about ray tracing. Then games will either be PS5 games but just with small gains( still performance and fidelity modes but better trade off) and in a few cases heavy use of ray tracing to make experiences. If xbox do not have a concurrent some games like GTA6 could ( if they are not on PS4 too🤣) choose the PS5 as the prefered platform and neglect a little the xbox. But we know that if the PS5 pro arrives xbox will have a concurrent.

DaGwaphics

If there is another Xbox model announced, I'd be shocked if it wasn't branded as an "Elite" something or other, just because that fits the higher priced branding they already have (and if we are getting mid-gens this time around the prices are going above day one MSRP for the PS5/XSX, at least not with any meaningful level of upgrade).

The OP is kind of nonsensical though, because there would be no awkwardness for devs or consumers in a situation with just a PS5 and Pro and a XSS/XSX. The primary target sku would remain the PS5/XSX level with the other two just being cut down/build ups from there. A pro level model isn't going to change game design because they still have to support the day one consoles anyway. Wouldn't be a situation that MS would want to market from, I'm sure, but still not that big of a deal really.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

PS5 DE is only $100 more than Series S so a PS5 Slim DE will more than likely hit $299

If they can price reduce that much than the XSS is only $199. :messenger_tears_of_joy: At the end of the day, the XSS is always going to be cheaper to produce than the base PS5 (smaller chip, less memory both ram and SSD, cheaper cooling, smaller and lighter package, etc.), that is never being equalized.

I don't think the PS5 will hit $299 for some time yet though.

Last edited:

ABnormal

Unlikely. And anyway Pro versions target those gamers who want to update performance more often. It's a niche, it's not produced to replace base consoles.

If MS makes a new xbox console I hope they don't just update the graphics card. Xbox one x should've been what the series s was in my opinion.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Responding with a fan warrior response to your baity fan warrior thread, I'll say its super awkward for PS gamers since the gamer base is split and devs have to split resources to cover another piece of hardware. So, Xbox games will be more streamlined and continue to be better.

Am I doing it right?

/s

onQ123

If they can price reduce that much than the XSS is only $199. :messenger_tears_of_joy: At the end of the day, the XSS is always going to be cheaper to produce than the base PS5 (smaller chip, less memory both ram and SSD, cheaper cooling, smaller and lighter package, etc.), that is never being equalized.

I don't think the PS5 will hit $299 for some time yet though.

Series S has been sold for as little as $149 already

What does the Series S have to do with a PS5 Pro? The Series X is the comparable console to the PS5.

Simple Xbox Series already have 2 models so adding a 3rd might complicate things for devs unless the plan is to faze out Series S when the new console come out but still devs would have to have games that run on Series S , Series X & the new console. We already have one game where the dev is running into problems.

onQ123

Responding with a fan warrior response to your baity fan warrior thread, I'll say its super awkward for PS gamers since the gamer base is split and devs have to split resources to cover another piece of hardware. So, Xbox games will be more streamlined and continue to be better.

Am I doing it right?

/s
Nope you're doing it wrong since PS5 has a pretty big userbase so it's going to be the main console with the PS5 Pro just getting enhancements that's not going to take up too much dev time.

The Alien

Banned
I'm not looking forward to either of the inevitable 'mid-gen upgrades consoles. Especially considering that there haven't really been many 'next gen' games to play on the cutrent 'next gen' consoles.

onQ123

I'm not looking forward to either of the inevitable 'mid-gen upgrades consoles. Especially considering that there haven't really been many 'next gen' games to play on the cutrent 'next gen' consoles.
I'm not understanding these post like this.

It's still a PS5

odhiex

A new model comes in, old model will be phased out. Microsoft would maintain two different SKUs in the market.

This is why I think, Sony would be releasing one PS5 (standard) SKU without disc drive (removable attachment). That leaves one more spot to market the PS5 Pro.

Top Bottom