• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In their debut week, Hi-Fi Rush reportedly outperformed Forspoken on Steam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draugoth

Gold Member
hi-fi-forspoken-1280x720.jpg

Xbox‘s surprise release Hi-Fi Rush reportedly outperformed Forspoken on Steam during both games’ debut week.

Xbox‘s surprise release Hi-Fi Rush reportedly outperformed Forspoken on Steam during both games’ debut week.

According to the Steam Weekly Global Top Sellers list on SteamDB, which lists the best-selling games on Steam by revenue made, Hi-Fi Rush came in at number 8, while Forspoken didn’t make the top 10.

The difference is particularly notable in that Forspoken has been supported with a sizeable marketing campaign, whereas Hi-Fi Rush appeared without any warning or prior reveal as part of last week’s Xbox Developer Direct presentation.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Last edited:

Jaybe

This topic already got locked last night.

It’s probably wrong, Forspoken has a higher Steam player base, and twice the cost so can’t fathom how HFR wins on revenue.

eBzIEUd.png
ZAqUxb1.png

Last edited:

Draugoth

Gold Member
Just a heads up...

Got locked, because for some reason people can't let Microsoft take a win (I think).

Grats to the team though, started playing last night after I finished the Dead Space Remake, and I feel like I wasted my weekend when I could have been playing this.

I will ask the mods to delete/close this.

Godot25

Banned
Yeah. And Hi-Fi Rush is also on Game Pass.
Gotta admire Square Enix. They managed to get big fat cheque from Sony for two year exclusivity and they released clearly unfinished game for 80€ and they got...12k concurrent on Steam. Development of that game was certainly no cheap endeavour so I'm expecting another "disappointment" by Square HQ

anthony2690

Banned
I'm enjoying HiFi Rush like everyone else, but do we really need to keep insulting Forspoken to praise HiFi Rush?/comparing the two? They are two completely different genres and unrelated.

Also isn't this inaccurate, as Forspoken would've had sales prior to launch week, due to preorders etc, where as hifi rush has all its sales during this week?

Happy to see Hi Fi Rush is doing well though, as it is a great game & I hope my neogaf buddies are enjoying it too :)

DaGwaphics

Must have hammered the competition in unit counts by a good % in order to get a revenue win with the lower price. Good for the devs, always nice to see quality work rewarded.

Also, don't pre-order sales drop into the first week totals? They do for books, movies, music, films, basically everything else (sales not counting until the product is delivered). Thinking back to the huge opening week of CP2077, that seems to be the case there as well.

Last edited:

FeastYoEyes

Hi-Fi is fantastic but to think Forspoken had a chance is kinda crazy. I'm surprised people are still buying and playing it with how it's looked from the get-go.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Fuz

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
If only that was always true. :messenger_pensive:
I think the tides are slowly changing. AAA movie-like games seem to be received not like masterpieces anymore, but as repetitive and easy slogs to play though, while smaller AA projects seem to be getting more and more attention and love from both the journos and the gamers.

I think the tides are slowly changing. AAA movie-like games seem to be received not like masterpieces anymore, but as repetitive and easy slogs to play though, while smaller AA projects seem to be getting more and more attention and love from both the journos and the gamers.
It's definitely been a huge redemption arc for Japan compared to the dark days of the PS3/360. Lots of neat success stories for sure.

sainraja

I see that as an unfair characterization of games that you are calling "movie-like" games. How quickly people forget that linear games that place emphasis on character and story existed long before the "movie-like" games some of you like to hate on existed. Hell, Hi-Fi rush employs a lot of what is common in those games (FYI I don't mind it, I love playing through and then seeing characters come alive in cutscenes). Games like that just got better, where people started comparing them to "movies" simply due to "voice acting" being good. The game themselves stuck to same structure that linear games have had; or got a little clever in how story is shared with you. Some of them branched out and adopted a middle ground, where they are not completely "open world" but allow you to feel like it is. You all really don't need to diminish other styles of games to place what you like higher lol.

Look, you can like what you like, but thinking you are somehow different or better, for liking something is just a bit silly to me. You don't need to downplay other games to feel better about something you are liking.

Last edited:

j.k.2021

Banned
That's great given that steam charts are based on revenue and Hi-Fi Rush is half the price of forspoken and Hi-Fi Rush is also available on game pass pc.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
Thats great news! Hi-Fi Rush is a lot of fun, plus it has NiN music! Forspoken seems like a generic boring tripe

• Strength
Reactions: Fuz

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I see that as an unfair characterization of games that you are calling "movie-like" games. How quickly people forget that linear games that place emphasis on character and story existed long before the "movie-like" games some of you like to hate on exited. Hell, Hi-Fi rush employs a lot of what is common in those games. Games like that just got better, where people started comparing them to "movies" simply due to "voice acting" being good. The game themselves stuck to same structure that linear games have had. Some of branch out and adopt a middle ground, where they are not completely "open world" but allow you to feel like it is. You all really don't need to diminish other styles of games to place what you like higher lol.

Look, you can like what you like, but thinking you are somehow different or better, for liking something is just a bit silly to me.
Maybe I generalized a little bit there, not every AAA is a movie wannabe. But there are still lot's of them, and I just don't like games that put more emphasis on the story and presentation than on the actual gameplay.
I don't mind having a lot of story and cutscenes in a game. Hell, the Yakuza games are amongst my favorites, but those games still have tons of gameplay time and different mechanics. I won't call those "movie-games".

The problem, for me, comes when the story is first and the gameplay second, and I've been seeing that in many AAA releases during the last few years. Braindead games that put 0 pressure on the player, with the character saying to himself what he has to do every 2 seconds so the player doesn't have to think for himself.
I thought that was going to be the new norm, so I'm happy to see that people still love the kind of game that Hi-Fi seems to be.

Holammer

SteamDB's tracking shows Hi-Fi doing well. Rank is based on gross income and not copies sold.
(Forspoken is not in the top 10)

--snip--

Why are we comparing these games btw?
They released back to back, one is high budget, Marvel'esque, formulaic and with tons of marketing, the other came out of nowhere and inspires joy-joy feelings with its Dreamcast style aesthetic. There are some surface level similarities, but the contrast invites comparisons.

Everyone loves an underdog.

539.jpeg

Artist is @marikazemus on Twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom