• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In this day and age, why would anybody want to watch a Hollywood movie with a female lead?

But the GIANT ASS SPACE SHIP that TRAVELLED THROUGH TIME didn't bother you?
This type of argument is weak and we all know why. An impossible thing like time travel can exist within the reality of a movie. It doesn’t mean that you would believe that an improbable if it happens. For example, let’s say Michelle Obama also showed up during the final showdown with Thanos. A movie with a giant ass space ship that travelled through time didn’t bother you but Michelle Obama showing up did?!

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
People wanting well written characters is not being joyless. I mean are people joyless for not liking trash reality TV shows?

Yes, we can want that. But so many things are just preposterous in some of these "arguments".

I find joy in a lot of things because I accept that they are worlds unto themselves. And I don't see politics in everything... ESPECIALLY not in movies or tv shows unless they're political dramas. Some movies are just not for me and bore me. But I at least give things a chance to change my mind.

sol_bad

OP throws in a random comment about comics but obviously hasn't read recent comics.
Kamala Khan constantly fucks up and botches her "missions".
Jane Foster Thor is literally killing herself every time she changes.
Carol Danvers gets her team mate injured, needs to be hospitalized herself, gets put in jail and gets an alien killed due to her decision in her 2016 series.
Moon Girl keeps getting in trouble with her parents, gets picked on by class mates, gets kidnapped and needs rescuing, loses a device she needs, causes her school to catch on fire and gets Devil Dinosaur beat up and captured by Hulk in the first 6 issues.
Amadeus Cho Hulk gets beat up and captured by Lady Hellbender.

tsumake

OP throws in a random comment about comics but obviously hasn't read recent comics.
Jane Foster Thor is literally killing herself every time she changes.
Carol Danvers gets her team mate injured, needs to be hospitalized herself, gets put in jail and gets an alien killed due to her decision in her 2016 series.
Moon Girl keeps getting in trouble with her parents, gets picked on by class mates, gets kidnapped and needs rescuing, loses a device she needs, causes her school to catch on fire and gets Devil Dinosaur beat up and captured by Hulk in the first 6 issues.
Amadeus Cho Hulk gets beat up and captured by Lady Hellbender.

So?

MrMephistoX

If you have to go back almost 20 years for a good example then it kinda proves his point that "this day and age" Hollywood has gone downhill.
Speaking of which I really really hope Volume 3 happens with Copperhead’s daughter: who would be like 28 now? Tarantino seems to be on a fuck PC streak with his recent Bruce Lee comments so maybe he could still pull it off. Without making the kid a super hero: dad lost it after a fine piece of ass like Vivica A Fox was murdered and she had a shitty ass life training to take out Uma. Maybe she gets trained by eyeless Daryl Hannah?

Last edited:

CloudNull

Banned
Just like any industry they go through phases and currently Hollywood is in a very unusual phase. This to will pass.
And your post wins for stupidest thing I’ve read today. Lots of people are making good points - agreeing and disagreeing with OP. And you come up with this shit post.
dave chappelle GIF

sol_bad

And that makes them good characters?

OPs whole argument is that women and minorities don't make mistakes and never grow, it's entirely untrue in comics. Whether the characters are written well or not will be up to each individual person. But I've enjoyed or loved the comics I mentioned above.

Lupingosei

Banned
That is a great example. Show me the consequences of her failure. Does she has to suffer from it or does everybody else have to cope with it?

The same goes for Ironheart or America Chavez. Do they have to accept their failures and grow from them or does everybody else?

All those female or minority characters. Do they have to work with their failures as Spiderman did?

sol_bad

That is a great example. Show me the consequences of her failure. Does she has to suffer from it or does everybody else have to cope with it?

The same goes for Ironheart or America Chavez. Do they have to accept their failures and grow from them or does everybody else?

All those female or minority characters. Do they have to work with their failures as Spiderman did?

Stop trying to move goal posts. She and others suffer from her mistakes.

*EDIT*
I haven't read Iron Heart or America Chavez yet.

Last edited:

Lupingosei

Banned
Stop trying to move goal posts. She and others suffer from her mistakes.
I am not moving goalposts. Rooky lost his trainer and father figure because of his hybris. Spiderman lost uncle Ben, because he did not use his powers in the right way.

What was the mistake of Kamala Khan or any of those characters, which hunted them and made them grow as characters?

Last edited:

tsumake

I am not moving goalposts. Rooky lost his trainer and father figure because of his hybris. Spiderman lost uncle Ben, because he did not use his powers in the right way.

What was the mistake of Kamala Khan or any of those characters, which hunted them and made them grow as characters?

If these characters are making mistakes without any real consequence, it implies they are above reproach.

Yes, we can want that. But so many things are just preposterous in some of these "arguments".
I find joy in a lot of things because I accept that they are worlds unto themselves. And I don't see politics in everything... ESPECIALLY not in movies or tv shows unless they're political dramas. Some movies are just not for me and bore me. But I at least give things a chance to change my mind.
You don’t see politics because Hollywood is all left-leaning which is what you want it to be. If Hollywood kept pushing agendas that you disagreed with, you be “seeing” politics everywhere too. And personally I think there is nothing to “see” - Hollywood is political, just as games are. They are used to pushed political agendas - there is no denying that.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

You don’t see politics because Hollywood is all left-leaning which is what you want it to be. If Hollywood kept pushing agendas that you disagreed with, you be “seeing” politics everywhere too. And personally I think there is nothing to “see” - Hollywood is political, just as games are. They are used to pushed political agendas - there is no denying that.

I don't see politics because I choose not to. I enjoyed that movie about Rudy Guiliani... and he's a republican. I loved the Left Behind series... Passion of the Christ ... You can't tell me those are "left leaning" movies. I like what I like .. I don't see politics because what's important is the story.

bender

What time is it?
There are exception but Hollywood is rarely my cup of tea. Hong Kong and Korea, now we are talking.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Just come up with some good writing where you don’t need to portrait all men as incompetent idiots to make women look good.

Sam Jackson in this one specific movie in the MCU is a good example of what I mean. Thor in the next movie is going to be the most dump ass, watered down idiot walking the universe to make the new Thor shine. Would bet on it.

sol_bad

You are moving the goal posts again. Before it was just about characters making mistakes, now you are saying loss has to be involved and that mistakes don't matter if there is no loss from those mistakes.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
A Force Marvel GIF by Nerdist.com

Because of this shit, belongs in cringe thread
Was hoping a capital ship strike would interrupt their sassy entrance mid stride.

Movies and TV these days, regardless of the gender of the lead, are let down by amateurish woeful writing and world building.

Last edited:

sol_bad

Was hoping a capital ship strike would interrupt their sassy entrance mid stride.

Movies and TV these days, regardless of the gender of the lead, are let down by amateurish woeful writing and world building.

MCU has the best world building evah!!!

I don't see politics because I choose not to. I enjoyed that movie about Rudy Guiliani... and he's a republican. I loved the Left Behind series... Passion of the Christ ... You can't tell me those are "left leaning" movies. I like what I like .. I don't see politics because what's important is the story.
I have only seen Passion of the Christ from the three you listed (never heard of the other two). It’s not left leaning but it’s also not right leaning. There are no big budget right leaning movies in fact.

jason10mm

Gold Member
. For example, let’s say Michelle Obama also showed up during the final showdown with Thanos. A movie with a giant ass space ship that travelled through time didn’t bother you but Michelle Obama showing up did?!
That depends, does she get snapped away like all the other bad aliens at the end? :p

Oooh, I'm so edgy :)

Top Bottom