• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inclusivity Updates in WoW: Dragonflight - Body Type, Pronoun and Voice Options Discovered

CuNi

Is this what it looks like when a company tries to grasp at every revenue stream they can to keep a dying game afloat?

No, I'm not saying wow will end soon, but no one can claim its as good and well populated as it used to be. It's far past its peak and they should realize that and not try to chase trends trying to get the glory days back.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
It does...it makes the game slightly better for those who this affects. More options only improves. Does it change the fundamentals of the game? no. Does it make the game 5,10,15% better for a sect of people? Yes. But it doesn't make it worse objectively.
For me it's not about making the game worse, which I think it doesn't.

It's more about devs being focused on and resources going into this instead of, you know, making the game better for the 100% of people that play it by fixing bugs, adding content or whatever, instead of whatever % there is of people that thinks any of this is necesary or even a good idea.

Last edited:

Edgelord79

Gold Member
jack nicholson nod GIF

DeaDPo0L84

Societies, cultures and words change. Get over it. Those who can't adapt fall by the wayside kicking and screaming.
Literally the people who spout this nonsense are the ones doing the most kicking and screaming if you ever dare use the wrong pronoun or dead name them.

They are the most fragile community to ever exist that's built up this fall pretense of being oppressed in a country that does nothing but celebrate what used to be categorized as a mental disorder. Hence why there was an almost vertical climb in cases of young people identifying as Trans or any of the other 73 different victimized groups that gain you internet fame in today's world.

It's why we have this, we are not progressing, we're regressing at a rapid pace and being laughed at across the world:
qn1X5cu.jpg

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I'm happy for whoever wanted this, more choices and all, but I wish they were focusing on releasing quality content again. The latest expansion is boooooring.

Ladioss

They really don't understand what is wrong with their game, do they ?
And like any other failing dinosaur before them, they double down and aggressively strategize to be sure to not understand.

The woke leftists does try to do everything they can to change biology.

Radical constructivism means biology doesn't matter, or doesn't even exist, when everything is socially constructed.

And if don't adhere with this vision, you are what is wrong with the world. A phrasing Torquemada would have proud of.

Akhawi

Banned
Blizzard constantly bending over to that woke-bullshit and wasting development time and resources on idiotic features made just for the stupid and insane degenerates of the human race instead of fixing the real issues with the game make me not want to play this expansion at all.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Are you sure? Seems like a lot of people screeching and reeeeeeeeeeing in this thread over body type 1 and body type 2.

Like, pick an option and move on.

People want basic biology to remain a thing. Not see it changed to altered to fit an anti-scientific agenda from an ideology designed to ruin lives.

That isn’t “reeeing”. That is simply being a critically thinking adult.

93xfan

Banned
I’ve always felt like a Body 1 trapped in a Body 2. My pronouns are He, Him and Bigfootself.

Sometimes controversially (lasagnaself) when I feel I should be allowed in the back of an Italian restaurant with all the cooks.

Last edited:

Meicyn

Gold Member
People want basic biology to remain a thing. Not see it changed to altered to fit an anti-scientific agenda from an ideology designed to ruin lives.

Nah, it’s reeeing.

I can pick body type 1 that looks like a dude, because I’m male and want to make my character a male, and then proceed to the next step of character creation.

Nah, it’s reeeing.

I can pick body type 1 that looks like a dude, because I’m male and want to make my character a male, and then proceed to the next step of character creation.
You're not male, you're body type 1 apparently. Imagine being in grade school ; "ok class, all the body type ones go to the left, and type twos to the right."

This stuff makes me want to vomit.

Well, maybe not vomit. It makes me want to release an involuntary personal protein spill.

Recently I have l wished Carlin was alive to talk about all this. Maybe he could have had an impact on all the narcissistic godless heathens and moral relativist drones that buy into or hand wave this stuff.

Speaking of reee, you can piss right back off to it if this annoys you.

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
Nah, it’s reeeing.

You glossed over the part where he said it was an ideology meant to ruin lives. He is 100% correct, which is why people are pushing back so hard. Children are having terrible, life altering experiments wrongly pushed on them that have permanent consequences.

I would recommend the watching What Is a Woman? It’s a documentary that does a great job of showing how much of a problem this ideology is.

Point is that chromosomes or gonads don't define a person's gender. Biology ain't binary.
In the American government gender means sex, when they ask what your gender is they mean are you a male or female not whether you identify as a tree or a helicopter.

Of course words can mean different things to different people but one thing is for certain biologically there are only 2 sexes: male or female. If you indentity as a trans woman your sex is male. You have XY chromosomes and no amount of "but my gender! Is going to change that fact.

52jw1y.gif

Also, for the people who don't understand development, this type of change was most likely 10 minutes of conversation during a meeting and Less than a day or so for a skeleton crew to change a few lines of code and move around existing models. People here thinking this change would take a battalion of manpower away from other resources, are using that assumption as some sort of opinion shield and instead it weakens your overall argument. Find a better way.

TMLT

Yeah we're doing this now. The human races opinions, beliefs and morals are so malleable. Shit that was weird a decade or two earlier becomes normal and criticism of it starts getting treated as weird instead. Shit that was acceptable all of a sudden becomes deeply unacceptable etc. So were we right back then? are we right now? or will we be right in the future when the game changes yet again and even the people calling everyone ists and phobes today will become ists and phobes with outdated thinking by the new standards?

Last edited:

GymWolf

I’ve always felt like a Body 1 trapped in a Body 2. My pronouns are He, Him and Bigfootself.

Sometimes controversially (lasagnaself) when I feel I should be allowed in the back of an Italian restaurant with all the cooks.
Do you release bechamel instead of cum?

RPSleon

So will biology books also stop identifying male and female bodytypes? Bodytype 1 and 2 surely is not great for identification, what's the plan here.
Body type 1 is male because men are best.
please dont ban me. I couldnt help it.

Im all for inclusivity, but if i identify as a man, let me find that damn option.

In the words of my girlfriend "I dont feel like im allowed to say im a woman anymore".

Last edited:

Tams

Gold Member
They've gone way too far and losing all the rational allies.
I'm far left and fed up with this shit.
They is plural. Fuck you for trying to make language more confusing.
Eh, 'they' can be used when the gender of the person/animal is not being mentioned, when the gender of said entity is unknown, or say to reduce prejudice or emphasise another point. It's a normal, if odd/unsystematic convention. No worse than 'generic you'.

Now using it specifically because someone doesn't want to be called a gendered pronoun is catering to mental illness.

Last edited:
Literally the people who spout this nonsense are the ones doing the most kicking and screaming if you ever dare use the wrong pronoun or dead name them.

They are the most fragile community to ever exist that's built up this fall pretense of being oppressed in a country that does nothing but celebrate what used to be categorized as a mental disorder. Hence why there was an almost vertical climb in cases of young people identifying as Trans or any of the other 73 different victimized groups that gain you internet fame in today's world.

It's why we have this, we are not progressing, were regressing at a rapid pace and being laughed at across the world:
qn1X5cu.jpg
The left one stands with feet apart like a dude. Easy tell.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
This sort of thing couldn’t feel anymore shoehorned in, especially by Blizzard. More to the point, why is this important in a video game?
It’s not but blizzard/activision got in trouble with a horrible work environment so this is more for pr than anything else.

JackSparr0w

Banned
Eh, 'they' can be used when the gender of the person/animal is not being mentioned, when the gender of said entity is unknown, or say to reduce prejudice or emphasis another point. It's a normal, if odd/unsystematic convention. No worse than 'generic you'.

Now using it specifically because someone doesn't want to be called a gendered pronoun is catering to mental illness.
There are countries now that you can be arrested for hate speech for saying that. Doesn't help that there is no clear definition of what hate speech is which means the police can just arrest you for pretty much anything you say.

GymWolf

There are countries now that you can be arrested for hate speech for saying that. Doesn't help that there is no clear definition of what hate speech is which means the police can just arrest you for pretty much anything you say.
I'm sure that well adjusted cops probably let people go away with a slap in the wrist and they don't actually put anyone in jail for this crap.

Last edited:

Hot5pur

I don't see the big deal. It's a videogame, pick the character type you identify with more and play the damn game.

Companies trying to make people feel more included. Literally everyone knows and understands male and female are never going away. A man can always choose to identify as a man and no one will punish them for it. There are literally terms like "non-binary" which establish the overwhelmingly binary nature of society.

But if we try to be a little more inclusive to that small segment of the population that gets discriminated against, physically attacked at times, and commits suicide at an alarming rate because they wake up each morning with a difficult inner struggle of being born in the "wrong" body or having a psychological struggle with their own identity, I don't know, I don't think it's that crazy to try and make them feel a little more comfortable by changing a few options in a game.

Donwel

Neo Member
I was on reddit
Found your problem.

Seriously though, you can't have rational discourse on Reddit unless you agree completely with the prevailing narrative.
There are some subs where the users are open to discussion, but generally speaking the user base are very far left. The entire site is pretty much a circle jerk, though that seems par for the course with internet communities these days, present company not included of course.

TheCed

More options and people are complaining. I love this. It makes a segment of the population feel more included and doesn't take away options from anyone. Win Win.

Ironically the people who point to this which is only a single aspect of what determines sex, not gender, are also anti vax and climate change deniers. Pick and choose which science you want to believe...I miss when science wasn't political.

I got my 4 doses.
Climate change is real.
The rich should pay their part.

I'm on the left on most things. But this whole gender thing is simply ridiculous. It's simply a new religion at this point.

Ozzie666

Don't most people play female elves anyhow? regardless of gender? It's a game, you can't make everyone happy or feel welcome, you can try I suppose, but at what cost? Blizzard can't win these days, this does look very shoehorned which doesn't help. Also this does nothing to help you Blizzard/Activision, it's over.

Basic biology is still a thing. Yall trippin over body type 1 and body type 2 in a video game.

Shmunter

In isolation it could be considered trivial. But it’s unequivocally part and parcel of the bigger movement redefining eg mothers as Birthing People or Chest Feeding to avoid gendering with Breast.

This is the sole reason things such as this are so damning and offensive to people of sound minds.

Last edited:

Vaelka

SEX AND GENDER ARE NOT THE SAME THING WHY IS THIS SO FUCKING DIFFICULT TO UNDERSTAND EVEN FOR SO CALLED PROGRESSIVE PEOPLE!?!?!?!?!?!

... Having sex choices in a game isn't a problem...
Anyone who thinks that it is doesn't even understand what transgenderism is to begin with...
How the hell is '' Body type A and B '' more inclusive to trans people???

The entire point is that trans peoples sex doesn't line up with their gender identity...
Seriously it's insane to me that even '' progressives '' can't understand this and still refer to sex as gender as if they're the same thing.

I don't see the big deal. It's a videogame, pick the character type you identify with more and play the damn game.

A big problem I have with it is that I think these kinds of views and mentalities lead to less fun characters.
I personally prefer conventionally feminine characters and for femininity to be pushed in my character, and some people prefer the opposite with masculine characters.
The problem is that with these '' gender-neutral '' attitudes you end up with Dracthyr who look like skinny boys/ femboys.
No one is basically happy, people who want more feminine Dracthyr aren't happy because they don't look like women ( they're not literally lizards, they're basically humans with lizard skin ) and they also don't look masculine enough for people who want to play the more generic '' big buff muscle man '' which is appealing to a lot of men.

I think even with cases like Lost Ark, there is a lot of appeal to both the male and female characters in that game a lot of people really enjoy things being pushed to a more extreme like that.
But that's just not possible if you have the mentality that leads to things like '' Body type A and B '', it's like in direct conflict with it because people who push for that stuff don't want to have these gendered differences.

Last edited:

Vaelka

Btw SWTOR took this even further.
I remember when I got back into it again a while back ago, I was making a new character and I was immediately met with a bearded woman...... I pressed the randomise button because I thought it was a bug and I got a bearded woman again and again and again every time.
So I went online and sure enough they actually added beards to women lol.

Imagine you're playing for the first time and that's what you're met with immediately in the character creator.
I think most people think it's fucking weird...

zzill3

Banned

I haven’t played WOW but isn’t it a game full of magic and monsters and demons? I don’t believe you care that much about the scientific stance of the game if you’re happy with everything except picking a pronoun.

Last edited:
Top Bottom