• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inclusivity Updates in WoW: Dragonflight - Body Type, Pronoun and Voice Options Discovered

Bullet Club

Inclusivity Updates in Dragonflight - Body Type, Pronoun, and Voice Options Discovered​

Dragonflight Alpha is adjusting some aspects of character customization, renaming the traditional Male and Female options to Body 1 and Body 2, while datamined strings indicate that players may be able to select their preferred pronouns - choosing between he/him, she/her, or they/them - and voice!

The renamed options, as seen on the character creation screen.

The new body type labels are merely text changes within the character creation screen and barber shop. Where it previously gave players the option to select Male or Female body types, it now simply refers to them as Body 1 and Body 2 respectively, similar to games such as Halo Infinite, Elden Ring, Monster Hunter Rise, and Starfield, among several others. As a text-only change seen in a grand total of two menus across the entirety of the game, this is a very low impact, but important change in keeping with the developers views on inclusivity.

And within the barber shop.

A more interesting change is currently not implemented on the Dragonflight Alpha, but datamined strings indicate that players may at some point be given the option to choose their preferred pronouns - selecting between he/him, she/her, or them/they. We previously speculated that Blizzard could be allowing players greater control over their character's identity in Shadowlands, and although that didn't come to pass at the time, it appears that the option may be revisited in Dragonflight, along with the ability to choose your characters

Datamined strings initially indicated pronoun customization may be added at some point.

What we don't know is how these options would be used though, as there doesn't appear to be any place to actually select this customization, and neither gender nor pronouns have ever been referenced in any player UI element. While clearly a matter of personalization, it's an interesting inclusion, as historically, the use of pronouns in reference to players is generally avoided by the game - even when it comes to NPCs and quest dialogue, player characters are most often addressed either directly or through some kind of expansion-specific honorific (Champion in Battle for Azeroth, Maw Walker in Shadowlands, along with the occasional Hero or other generic term) rather than direct pronouns. This could also be considered impersonal though, so a change might not be entirely unwarranted.

e7d8301ec29425a0163b686b6e2a110d.jpg

Note how Magni refers to the player as "our champion" rather than saying "s/he can handle it."

While these strings were removed again in the most recent Dragonflight Alpha build, Game Director Ion Hazzikostas confirmed the intention to allow players to choose their characters voice during an interview earlier today, indicating that it will likely appear at some point in the future. It's worth noting that several other games including Pyre, Saints Row 4, and New World have added similar options to select preferred pronouns, despite rarely if ever actually using them, so these additions don't necessarily indicate any sweeping change to the way World of Warcraft addresses its player characters. This means most players probably wouldn't even notice a change if the options are implemented, but it would still allow a brand new level of character customization for those it is important to.

Source: Wowhead

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
8U1lNsL.gif

No such thing as body type. If they want to be accurate then change the names to Human XX and Human XY.

So will biology books also stop identifying male and female bodytypes? Bodytype 1 and 2 surely is not great for identification, what's the plan here.

The woke leftists does try to do everything they can to change biology.

I was on reddit where there was a discussion about trans gender.

I said biologically men are men and females are females, but I respect them either way and they should respect them selves.

Got a 7 day ban for hateful speech

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Point is that chromosomes or gonads don't define a person's gender. Biology ain't binary.

Yes. It is. You are Male or you are Female. There is a range in the Male and Female sides, but there is no nebulous third area where you are both or neither.

Trying to claim otherwise is as fucking retarded as claiming the earth is flat, that console warriors aren’t mentally ill, or that Blizzard can make good games again.

Fuz

Banned
They gonna go broke

Besides, what if I want to play a male that doesn't want pronouns? Am I forced to chose one? (Hypotetically, because hell gonna freeze over before I touch something blizzard again).

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

Fuz

Banned
8U1lNsL.gif

The woke leftists does try to do everything they can't to change biology.

I was on reddit where there was a discussion about trans gender.

I said biologically men are men and females are females, but I respect them either way and they should respect them selves.

Got a 7 day ban for hateful speech
They've gone way too far and losing all the rational allies.
I'm far left and fed up with this shit.
They is plural. Fuck you for trying to make language more confusing.

Last edited:

Reallink

I don't get the change from "male" and "female" to Body 1 and Body 2.
I first saw it in the Demon's Souls remake and thought it was very strange (and frankly, stupid).
I genuinely thought my game was bugged because I couldn't equip certain armors and had to search online to see what was going on. Finally found walkthroughs referring to them as male and female armors and was like what in the flying fuck.

They gonna go broke

Besides, what if I want to play a male that doesn't want pronouns? Am I forced to chose one? (Hypotetically, because hell gonna freeze over before I touch something blizzard again).

They already went broke after all the sexual harrasment stuff, game is a ghost town that had to merge horde and alliance servers cause noone could find groups. They see stuff like this as a way to earn back their progressive playerbase.

Last edited:

Smiggs

Point is that chromosomes or gonads don't define a person's gender. Biology ain't binary.
I'm not trying to dogpile or be a dick, but just trying to clarify how a lot of people think. Most people think of gender as meaning sex--male or female, that's it. The two terms were interchangeable forever, and most people still view those words as such.

I understand a lot of people are now using gender to mean something else, and I'm not arguing for or against that--I just want you to understand why many people view gender as binary, because it is for most the majority of society.

More options and people are complaining. I love this. It makes a segment of the population feel more included and doesn't take away options from anyone. Win Win.

Ironically the people who point to this which is only a single aspect of what determines sex, not gender, are also anti vax and climate change deniers. Pick and choose which science you want to believe...I miss when science wasn't political.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
A change that will literally have no impact on anyone beyond those who have (I imagine) been clamoring for its conclusion. . .can't possibly see why anyone would have an issue with it.

So will biology books also stop identifying male and female bodytypes? Bodytype 1 and 2 surely is not great for identification, what's the plan here.

It is a fantasy game where you now get to create a character as fantastical as you want. When we start using WoW expansions as teaching aids in classrooms, then we can start with the death grip on our pearls.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I'm at the point now where its like "yeah whatever"

Like you know how your nice to kids, or when you see someone with Downs Syndrome. It's kind of like that now, these are obviously mentally ill people who needed help but never got it, so instead need to be treated with understanding and compassion as they are unable to interact fully with society.

So now it's "sure why not?" And if it really irks me I would stop playing the game... however I planned never to play anouther blizzard game ever again long before this, their just not relevant anymore.

Last edited:

Smiggs

And do you have an idea how that suddenly changed?
I think we both know it didn't just suddenly change overnight. What I think truly started out as a genuine means of inclusion and making people feel better about themselves, turned into a militant race to the bottom of trying to show how inclusive they can be, while coincidentally, drowning out anyone who did not comply, or simply even questioned the narrative.

Kacho

Gold Member
Really cringe but this stuff is expected with anything coming out of California these days. Weirdos out there live and breathe that nonsense. If I still cared about the game I'd be annoyed but WoW has been on the decline for years. Now I just laugh and move on.

Fuz

Banned
I think we both know it didn't just suddenly change overnight. What I think truly started out as a genuine means of inclusion and making people feel better about themselves, turned into a militant race to the bottom of trying to show how inclusive they can be, while coincidentally, drowning out anyone who did not comply, or simply even questioned the narrative.
Do a little research, starting with John Money.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
It makes people feel more included. And it doesn't take away from anyone else. Win Win.
Not what I asked. Inclusion generally leads to exclusion of others.

Still waiting for an answer on how it tackles the problems the game itself has.

I'm sure changing textboxes to make everything gender - neutral is quite a game changer and will give Demonology new ways to play.

It makes people feel more included. And it doesn't take away from anyone else. Win Win.
It removes the preferred gender options for the majority of people? The exact opposite of inclusion when the minority, and them not even close to properly, are included, while all "normal" people should adapt to them. I usually even play as female, just because I prefer to look on a woman's shape and hear a female voice, have no need to be represented in any shape or form in a game since it should be escapism and no me-sim, but while adding female options in previously only male hero games is adding inclusion which doesn't take away anything, this does, if it replaces instead of expanding the old options. They could remove gender entirely and just make the editor do both or the entire spectrum. I wouldn't mind that, but this is distorted and delusional typical first world problem solving.

Last edited:
Stupidity takes away from everyone.
This is why you're ideology is going extinct.

Not what I asked. Inclusion generally leads to exclusion of others.

Still waiting for an answer on how it tackles the problems the game itself has.

I'm sure changing textboxes to make everything gender - neutral is quite a game changer and will give Demonology new ways to play.
It does...it makes the game slightly better for those who this affects. More options only improves. Does it change the fundamentals of the game? no. Does it make the game 5,10,15% better for a sect of people? Yes. But it doesn't make it worse objectively.

It removes the preferred gender options for the majority of people? The exact opposite of inclusion when the minority, and them not even close to properly, are included, while all "normal" people should adapt to them. I usually even play as female, just because I prefer to look on a woman's shape and hear a female voice, have no need to be represented in any shape or form in a game since it should be escapism and no me-sim, but while adding female options in previously only male hero games is adding inclusion which doesn't take away anything, this does if it replaces instead of expanding the old options. They could remove gender entirely and just make the editor do both. I wouldn't mind but this is distorted and delusional typical first world problem solving.
Gender pronouns are still there...they have the option to select she/he/they. You want to make a traditional man? select body type one and select the pronoun he...you literally lose nothing. Complaining about a non issue.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
This is why you're ideology is going extinct.

It does...it makes the game slightly better for those who this affects. More options only improves. Does it change the fundamentals of the game? no. Does it make the game 5,10,15% better for a sect of people? Yes. But it doesn't make it worse objectively.

Gender pronouns are still there...they have the option to select she/he/they. You want to make a traditional man? select body type one and select the pronoun he...you literally lose nothing. Complaining about a non issue.

You are what is wrong with this world.

Crayon

There seem to be two types of gender-criticals. Those who want to handle things gently and for things to settle into a balance that most of us can live with. And those who don't want to give an inch for fear of losing a mile, which I understand.

I'm the first kind and I find this harmless.

Rather than getting hung up on whether it should be in the game, I'll just give a grats to the devs for more choices being made for those that might enjoy this without taking away from those who won't.

Mmm, choices.

My body is not 1 or 2 though.
As I said removing that option all together and letting me create whatever would be far better than relabel it without any meaning. 1 and 2 can even be understood as a ranking... If you want to be inclusive and not offend anyone in any way ever, do it right.

Top Bottom