• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inclusivity Updates in WoW: Dragonflight - Body Type, Pronoun and Voice Options Discovered

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I haven’t played WOW but isn’t it a game full of magic and monsters and demons? I don’t believe you care that much about the scientific stance of the game if you’re happy with everything except picking a pronoun.

Its the principal of the matter. It isn’t a hard concept to understand why people are against changing hard science to push ideological anti-scientific ignorance.

zzill3

Banned
Its the principal of the matter. It isn’t a hard concept to understand why people are against changing hard science to push ideological anti-scientific ignorance.

By that, you mean all the magic and demons in the game right? Scientific people like you know that people can’t shoot fire out of our hands, yet games keep letting us do stuff like that. Crazy isn’t it?

If your problem is a lack of scientific accuracy in games, regardless of your views on trans people, WOW has much bigger issues than letting people pick a pronoun.

Last edited:

Arcadialane

By that, you mean all the magic and demons in the game right? Scientific people like you know that people can’t shoot fire out of our hands, yet games keep letting us do stuff like that. Crazy isn’t it?

If your problem is a lack of scientific accuracy in games, regardless of your views on trans people, WOW has much bigger issues than letting people pick a pronoun.

This is just a blatant false equivalence argument.

Last edited:
🏳️‍🌈 It's about damn time 🏳️‍🌈. The game is nearing 20 years old and it took them this freaking long to catch up with the rest of the civilized world. Blizzard makes far too much money to keep doing the bare minimum year after year.
You forgot the trans colors in your flags bigot! Always getting by by doing the bare minimum for inclusivity, completely abhorrent in the civilized world, no matter how poor you may be.
Excited Love Is Love GIF by GIPHY Cares

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

Nice false equivalency argument. Now are you going to actually debate like an adult or continue to talk out your arse?

There seem to be two types of gender-criticals. Those who want to handle things gently and for things to settle into a balance that most of us can live with. And those who don't want to give an inch for fear of losing a mile, which I understand.

I'm the first kind and I find this harmless.
Give an inch? Losing a mile? Look around you in the world today. We've lost more than a mile, we've lost a whole continent already.
Ever heard of Newton's third law? Since "gently" is about as far away from how gender-enablers have handled things, the swing back the other way is going to hit them real hard when it comes.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
What does this change/addition even have to do with trans people?

Can't rail against "the mentally ill and how they're ruining vidya games with their demands!" if you recognize that people other than trans gamers might want to have this flexibility.

Can't rail against "the mentally ill and how they're ruining vidya games with their demands!" if you recognize that people other than trans gamers might want to have this flexibility.
My opinion is the exact opposite of yours. I think this feature will hardly be used by anyone. Seems like a waste of resources for a game that's already struggling.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
What is there to debate, exactly? People can pick a pronoun in a game, even if you don’t like trans people it’s hardly the end of the world, stop crying about it.

1.) This isn’t about pronouns. Even if it *was*, the game only ever mentions the player in the third person. They use your direct player name or refer to you as “The Champion”.
2.) This does nothing to help trans people.
3.) Actually debate like an adult or kindly piss off. Your continued need to push strawman arguments and failure to read or use critical thought is tiring.

zzill3

Banned
1.) This isn’t about pronouns. Even if it *was*, the game only ever mentions the player in the third person. They use your direct player name or refer to you as “The Champion”.
2.) This does nothing to help trans people.
3.) Actually debate like an adult or kindly piss off. Your continued need to push strawman arguments and failure to read or use critical thought is tiring.
Ok body types then. People can pick a body type thats not called male or female in a game, even if you don’t like people who don’t go by male or female it’s hardly the end of the world, stop crying about it.

It does nothing to hurt cis people either.

Again, not sure what there is to debate? The options are (will be when this update this finished) in the game, any debate is over and my side won. You can either accept it or stay mad about it.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Ok body types then. People can pick a body type thats not called male or female in a game, even if you don’t like people who don’t go by male or female it’s hardly the end of the world, stop crying about it.

It does nothing to hurt cis people either.

Again, not sure what there is to debate? The options are (will be when this update this finished) in the game, any debate is over and my side won. You can either accept it or stay mad about it.

Are you sure you didn’t mistake this place for ResetEra, mate? Your posts continue to come across as infantile bait. Maybe its time that you grew up a bit and learn to actually handle differing opinions without crying about and projecting your own insecurities on others.

Rykan

One of my favorite things about GAF is that it can make fun of outrages on ERA while simultaneously have an absolute meltdown and predicting the collapse of society over a minor change to the naming of character models in a 17 year old fantasy game.

Arcadialane

One of my favorite things about GAF is that it can make fun of outrages on ERA while simultaneously have an absolute meltdown and predicting the collapse of society over a minor change to the naming of character models in a 17 year old fantasy game.
Who's having an 'absolute meltdown'?

People calling this shit ridiculous equals to having absolute meltdown sure thing dude

Filben

Doesn't change a thing for the game so whatever.

Would be different if it was an authentic game that actually portraied differences between male and female characters, which most games/RPGs won't do except for very few ones. If WoW was one of them, there would still be a female/male classification under the hood to make NPCs react to you independently from your (character's) identification.

if you'd chose the body type with boobs most NPC would react to you as your character was a female, and vice versa for male.

But since it's a typical MMO and not a real cRPG with choice and consequence, especially not a world that really distinguish between male or female, it doesn't fucking matter what you select and how it's described.

Saber

Gold Member

Yeah...sure.
Having a meltdown while exactly explaining and using valid arguments?

And please, this "17 year old fantasy game" is so fragile that they changed a picture of a woman into a fruit basket. You want people to believe it's only a meltdown when they criticize, when the meltdown is exactly when people like you get offended over a single picture of a woman.

Rykan

Yeah...sure.
Having a meltdown while exactly explaining and using valid arguments?

And please, this "17 year old fantasy game" is so fragile that they changed a picture of a woman into a fruit basket. You want people to believe it's only a meltdown when they criticize, when the meltdown is exactly when people like you get offended over a single picture of a woman.
This is exactly what I'm talking about. When era freaks out of something silly, it's "Reeee" or "Snowflakes" but when people on GAF say shit like "I'm far left and I'm fed up with this shit! They is plural" or "Everyone will be indoctrinated!"

Or my favorite: "this will spill into the rest of society and destroy livelihoods!". Then it's "valid arguments". Give me a break. I love how you already assigned several positions to me that I didn't take for daring to point out that some of the post are overreactions.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
This is exactly what I'm talking about. When era freaks out of something silly, it's "Reeee" or "Snowflakes" but when people on GAF say shit like "I'm far left and I'm fed up with this shit! They is plural" or "Everyone will be indoctrinated!"

Or my favorite: "this will spill into the rest of society and destroy livelihoods!". Then it's "valid arguments". Give me a break. I love how you already assigned several positions to me that I didn't take for daring to point out that some of the post are overreactions.

No one here, aside from the defenders like the Neo member above, are having “meltdowns”. I would suggest you learn how to read.

Rykan

No one here, aside from the defenders like the Neo member above, are having “meltdowns”. I would suggest you learn how to read.
While I appreciate the suggestion, my reading skills are adequate enough to recognize Anime Avatars having a meltdown when they label others as "You are what is wrong with the world".

Last edited:
8U1lNsL.gif

The woke leftists does try to do everything they can to change biology.

I was on reddit where there was a discussion about trans gender.

I said biologically men are men and females are females, but I respect them either way and they should respect them selves.

Got a 7 day ban for hateful speech
90% of reddit is degenerate perverts who love eating each others ass, literally (just like REEEEEEeeesetera) , so I wouldn't take their opinons to heart. The sad thing is our government, academia and corporations are all on board due to them, and twitter, even though this doesn't represent 90% of the public, who isn't down with this stuff. They see social media and think it represents everyone.

As for the transgender thing. Its kind of contradictory. If you are a man that feels you are in the wrong body and transistion to a woman and now are called a female name, wouldn't you just select woman at that point and move on? Why do they need to have these partial categories or weirdo stuff? And why push this on to everyone else?

They can't erase nature, no matter how much they try. Society will push back!

Don't like the precedent of this going into games. We are men and women and some flipped it. No need for otherkin, or telling us your demi-sexual orgy loving- shit eating grin weirdness.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Are you sure you didn’t mistake this place for ResetEra, mate? Your posts continue to come across as infantile bait. Maybe its time that you grew up a bit and learn to actually handle differing opinions without crying about and projecting your own insecurities on others.

Ignore that troll. They've been here since March and have 4 posts, all of them in this thread.

Back to the topic, I really don't see why it has to be body type 1/2? I literally don't understand the logic. Maybe this world isn't for me anymore?

Rykan

Ignore that troll. They've been here since March and have 4 posts, all of them in this thread.

Back to the topic, I really don't see why it has to be body type 1/2? I literally don't understand the logic. Maybe this world isn't for me anymore?
The logic behind it is that some people believe they are gender fluid and thus they do not feel represented when the only options are male or female. This change detaches character creation and gender assignment from one another and makes them separate choices. Note: this is not my personal belief or opinion on the matter, I'm only explaining the thought process behind it.

Another benefit of this is that male characters are bulky and larger with defined muscles, where are female characters tend to be more slim. You could, in theory now, create a bulky female warrior and the game will acknowledge it as such. This is probably more of a side effects rather than the primary motivation though.

Last edited:

Fredrik

The problem is that with these '' gender-neutral '' attitudes you end up with Dracthyr who look like skinny boys/ femboys.
No one is basically happy, people who want more feminine Dracthyr aren't happy because they don't look like women ( they're not literally lizards, they're basically humans with lizard skin ) and they also don't look masculine enough for people who want to play the more generic '' big buff muscle man '' which is appealing to a lot of men.
Agreed 1000%. Gaming is so boring right now when it comes to character models. Women with no curves, men with no muscles, both in pants and a shirt, you could do a head swap and there would almost be no differences. Even animations are about the same. And how they talk. Women are often behaving like men now, the feminine charm has disappeared. It’s all bonkers.

I just don’t understand what’s the plan. Few outside in the real world tries to erase the differences between men and women, why is gaming doing it?
At least at my location women are literally highlighting their femininity, and men are highlighting their masculinity.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
While I appreciate the suggestion, my reading skills are adequate enough to recognize Anime Avatars having a meltdown when they label others as "You are what is wrong with the world".
Clearly not as you continue to double down on the false claims because you can’t understand context. Maybe Era is a better fit for you.

The logic behind it is that some people believe they are gender fluid and thus they do not feel represented when the only options are male or female. This change detaches character creation and gender assignment from one another and makes them separate choices. Note: this is not my personal belief or opinion on the matter, I'm only explaining the thought process behind it.

Another benefit of this is that male characters are bulky and larger with defined muscles, where are female characters tend to be more slim. You could, in theory now, create a bulky female warrior and the game will acknowledge it as such. This is probably more of a side effects rather than the primary motivation though.

“Gender Fluidity” is not real. It is a mental illness and we should not be changing science to appease the less than 0.1% of the population who think such a thing exists. Not to mention this doesn’t change the models. You are still male even if you choose a body type and “pronoun”. I would be all for the game to offer more body types for the two sexes and various races. That would actually be a change that would provide some manner of customization for players. This? This offers no such thing and its nothing but a virtue signal attempt to appease the aforementioned mentally ill.

Crayon

Give an inch? Losing a mile? Look around you in the world today. We've lost more than a mile, we've lost a whole continent already.
Ever heard of Newton's third law? Since "gently" is about as far away from how gender-enablers have handled things, the swing back the other way is going to hit them real hard when it comes.

Like I said, I understand. I remind myself that's it's fine if people are mad about it. There's legitimate reasons to be mad and asking people to sit on that isn't fair.

Your objection might be that people like me being 'gentle' are downplaying the seriousness of an issue but that's not always the case. Some of us are going to react that way precisely because it's serious.

Saber

Gold Member

You're so preoccupied in keeping regurgitating the same thing, that forgets that ERA is an extreme site that bans whoevers they think are wrong.
Here you can say different opinions and no one will ban you unless you cross the line. Gonna keep this stupid pretention game? If you guys still think Gaf is the same as ERA then go create an account there, no one here is gonna stop you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Every time I see screenshots of current World of Warcraft I am reminded how ugly and outdated this game looks like and how it is in dire need of a proper WoW 2.0.

ManaByte

Every time I see screenshots of current World of Warcraft I am reminded how ugly and outdated this game looks like and how it is in dire need of a proper WoW 2.0.

Honestly a WoW 2.0 wouldn't look much different. If anything it'd look like Overwatch as that started out life as Titan, their follow-up to WoW.

EDMIX

“Gender Fluidity” is not real. It is a mental illness and we should not be changing science to appease the less than 0.1% of the population

? Who cares? I believe regardless of it being a mental illness or how you believe such a thing is defined might be completely irrelevant because to be honest we probably don't even know how much of the population is really affected by that based on the stigma of it, I remember having a conversation with someone and they brought up this idea that there's more racism, it's not to say racist don't exist it's to say maybe people believe more of it exists because modern society having social media and everyone having a smartphone allows us to see more of something that maybe always existed to this degree so in my opinion it's quite possible more people might be affected by this thing and maybe the stigma of attacking people like this is why they say nothing

Even during that crazy Aaron Hernandez documentary when people kept joking about all the gay people in the NFL for a long time I always assumed such a thing probably would exist because mathematically it would be impossible for it not to exist to some degree, so who am I to say how little it really affects when prior to a lot of that people believe no one at all in the NFL was gay? So people's societal beliefs on how men and women behave or should behave probably also allowed them to believe that no one in the NFL would be gay because I mean come on there big Macho Men right?

So I never tried to look at how much of something exists on society based on what I agree or disagree with it.

So I think in a different day and age Ellen Page simply doesn't come out and doesn't transition and none of that ever really occurs with that person but I think because Society has become more open to some of these ideas Ellen Page is able to become Elliott page so I don't really think it's because it's 0.1% of the population I think it's because that's the amount of the population that feels comfortable coming out with it.....

Regardless of how you and I feel about that subject by the way it does not change that this video game being an MMO it actually makes a tremendous amount of sense to have this type of feature because are you not creating a character? And look at the silliness of what you're even telling us your belief that 0.1% of the population suffer from this is as stupid as saying 0% of the population is a fucking Elf or werewolf yet clearly those are inside of the game lol

Not everyone making these type of features is specifically solely trying to Target that demographic to get more sales or something they might simply be adding it for variety so everyone can be involved in the game and I can't fault them for that because it would be really fucking stupid to ask them not to include it based on it being a small population.

It would be like getting angry if a video game put a black person as the main character simply because someone who looks like me only makes up 14% of the United States.... so what exactly are you trying to say? The company should only make games based on these type of statistics? We joke about stuff like that in regards to a negative way on how companies purposely do those cash grabs and try to Target the biggest Market in some scummy way like what you see with Battle Royale and fortnite and a whole bunch of other dumb stupid shit but the audacity for some users on here to then try to use that as some positive thing and make it seem as if it shouldn't be in the game based on the percentage of population with those features is quite hilarious.

I think this is a great idea to be inside of mmo regardless about how you and I feel about that in society.

I mean, who am I to say they did this to appease this or that? Who the fuck cares? Lets say they did...you could argue that about ANY fucking gender, race, demographic etc. So why its added is like demanding to read someone's mind to MAKE SURE they added it for this or that and it all starts to sound fucking silly. So with all the ways to interact, customize, modify and alter characters in games, this fits those concepts wells and I have no issue with it being the norm.

shaddam

I will never understand this. Thankfully my language is gender neutral, so we dont import this bullshit (but some people are working really hard on this)

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Who's having an 'absolute meltdown'?

Blizzard constantly bending over to that woke-bullshit and wasting development time and resources on idiotic features made just for the stupid and insane degenerates of the human race instead of fixing the real issues with the game make me not want to play this expansion at all.

You're not male, you're body type 1 apparently. Imagine being in grade school ; "ok class, all the body type ones go to the left, and type twos to the right."

This stuff makes me want to vomit.

Well, maybe not vomit. It makes me want to release an involuntary personal protein spill.

Recently I have l wished Carlin was alive to talk about all this. Maybe he could have had an impact on all the narcissistic godless heathens and moral relativist drones that buy into or hand wave this stuff.

Speaking of reee, you can piss right back off to it if this annoys you.

You are what is wrong with this world.

I'm so tired of all this nonsense

. . .over a change in two character strings in some creaky ass code in a game none of them will play. The "meltdown" is the overwrought (and entirely predictable) reaction to anodyne changes in a character creator that'll give some poor fuck in Hooboken, Arkansas a fleeting, and entirely superficial, feeling of being seen. The horror.

Akhawi

Banned
. . .over a change in two character strings in some creaky ass code in a game none of them will play. The "meltdown" is the overwrought (and entirely predictable) reaction to anodyne changes in a character creator that'll give some poor fuck in Hooboken, Arkansas a fleeting, and entirely superficial, feeling of being seen. The horror.

If you think I had an 'absolute meltdown' while writing that comment you quoted, then think again.

You failed.

Top Bottom