• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie gaming CAN surpass AAA gaming when done right: Velocity 2X

So GAF, I came to the conclusion that well made indie games can obliterate AAA games out of the water thanks to the indie masterpiece called Velocity 2X! It is drop dead immaculate! It's part shmup, part action platformer. At first, those gameplay modes are separated on a level by level basis. But the real bliss kicks in when the two merge together in the same level! After blasting enemies and switches in order as the spaceship, fly into a zone to do the same, on foot! The gameplay is lighting fast with many of the mechanics focusing on arcade action and teleportation! It's just as great as it sounds, if not better. For a game I only discovered two days ago, it's an instant spot in my top games of all time, and feels like a game I've played all my life. It's THAT good.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Surpass in what exactly? Sales? Quality? Production values? Many indie devs eat from Nintendo and old mainstream gaming so they're more gameplay focus of that's what you mean, so no surprise...

I'm currently playing Darksiders 3, but after this one, I'm thinking on playing some indies exclusively for a while, too many announced just this year that have caught my attention and I think I'm staying behind a lot regarding to them

Guilty_AI

uh, the thing about indies (or AAs) is that they often look to satisfy specific niches, while AAA are designed to be great, very marketable products.

I think its only natural an indie/AA that fits your tastes will feel way cooler to play than something that was made with mass appeal in mind.
The thing however, is that with these kinds of games, what you find amazing won't be the same for me, or someone else.

Personally for example, i'd consider Crosscode to be the game that surparsses AAA titles, mainly because i see it as an indie that beats those AAA at their own game (semi-open world with side quests and secrets, RPG mechanics, real time combat, story driven, etc. It basically does everything that AAA games nowadays usually aim for, but does it better and with more)

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
this game isnt on PS5 huh, was just about to give it a chance for the pLaY LeSs aAa crowd always screaming at me :messenger_grimmacing_

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
uh, the thing about indies (or AAs) is that they often look to satisfy specific niches, while AAA are designed to be great, very marketable products.
that's true, but is it not wrong to say that in the 90s and 2000s games were all about fufilling specific niches? Nowadays even the more "obscure" series are desperately trying to cater to the mainstream.

Guilty_AI

that's true, but is it not wrong to say that in the 90s and 2000s games were all about fufilling specific niches? Nowadays even the more "obscure" series are desperately trying to cater to the mainstream.
Thats because gaming itself was niche back then. Mainstream would see videogames as something for either kids or nerds holed up in basements.

And i don't agree with the second part, i still see all sorts of games being made nowadays, from classic niche genres like ADVs, shmups and VNs, to some weird stuff

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Also, ProgenitorCastle ProgenitorCastle , i think you might enjoy Touhou Luna Nights, its a mashup of metroidvanias with shmups

Its also on Switch btw

while you're at it, if you like Shmups play the official Touhou games too just to know the characters and lore a bit more. You'll be a bit confused by everything going on in luna nights if you aren't a major avid touhou fan. my personal recommendations are embodiment of scarlet devil, imperishable night, and subterranean animism

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

I think its only natural an indie/AA that fits your tastes will feel way cooler to play than something that was made with mass appeal in mind.
The thing however, is that with these kinds of games, what you find amazing won't be the same for me, or someone else.

Personally for example, i'd consider Crosscode to be the game that surparsses AAA titles, mainly because i see it as an indie that beats those AAA at their own game (semi-open world with side quests and secrets, RPG mechanics, real time combat, story driven, etc. It basically does everything that AAA games nowadays usually aim for, but does it better and with more)

was just about recommend crosscode to OP

velocity 2x is also sick though

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I personally couldn't care less about AAA, AA, or indie labels, if the game looks fun and interesting then I'm willing to play it, thats all there is to it.

To me game being AAA doesn't automatically mean I will like it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom