• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Watch: Underlight is an MMO you never dreamed of playing, until now.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
(Title is slightly tongue-in-cheek.)

A note from the author:
Indie Watch is (apparently) an irregular series by Redneckerz that highlights from time to time those indie titles that deserve some love and attention, to put the lights on those hidden indie developers working on their own little slice of entertainment. Who knows, maybe hidden gems lay deeper than we may think.

Introduction:
From the Underlight website. Emphasis mine.
Introduction: Our Dreamworld said:
True immersive ROLEPLAYING.

Introduction to the Game

Underlight is a 100% free to play online multiplayer roleplaying game. There are no monthly fees. There are no cash shops. How do we make our money? We don’t! Underlight was first launched in 1998 on a game service called Mplayer and like most MMO’s of the time, had a monthly fee. In 2006, the publishing company discontinued support for the game. Out of love for the original game, KoiWare has acquired licensing rights to continue hosting the game completely free.

Unlike other “MMORPGS”, Underlight truly is a ROLEPLAYING game. You are creating a unique character with their own personality and perspective on the world around them. In this aspect, Underlight plays more like a table top RPG than your typical MMORPG. If you are completely new to roleplaying the underlight wiki is an excellent resource to help get you started. An easy way to think about it is you are an actor, creating a character, but instead of performing in a play or movie, you are participating in a dynamic story that is shaped and influenced by other players like yourself.

So what is the story of Underlight?

In the universe our game takes place, there are thousands of “Shards” where our characters live and carry out their lives. Each shard is completely cut off from one another by an impassable boundary mist. One night, after your character has fallen asleep, they awaken to find themselves in the dream city of Underlight. This city is inhabited by the select few who have achieved what has become known as the awakening. Within the city of Underlight the characters are able to meet and interact with those from the other shards who have been able to achieve awakening. In this dreamworld these select few are able to cast magical arts and do things that would normally be impossible in their home shard. Underlight, however, is not without its share of dangers. Evil and dangerous creatures known as Nightmares roam the dream, attacking unsuspecting dreamers.

Our game begins with your character achieving awakening and entering the city for the first time. From there the game experience is thrust into your hands. How will your character use this grand opportunity? Will your character attempt to share knowledge with those from other shards? Will they seek to join a guild house and stake claim to an area of the dream? Will they seek to prove themselves in battle? Will they strive to banish the Nightmare creatures that roam the dream?

These choices and more rest with you and your fellow players and they will directly shape the story of the game.
In Underlight, a 1998 title, gameplay differs significantly from other MMO's out there. Every single action you undertake is one you should carefully plan out, and always has to be in character. There is an option to mention out-of-character, real world references, through a whisper when you speak to other characters.

Players progress through a unique Teaching system. Contrary to other titles, UL has no universal missions to accomplish. Instead, other players write quests for newcomers who wish to be teached. Or as it is summarized:
The teaching system in Underlight is a unique feature not found in other games.
In other games, upon leveling up your Wizard will automatically learn their next fireball spell or will go to an NPC skill trainer and purchase it for a couple of gold. In Underlight all of your magical arts are learned from other player characters in the game.

The characters capable of teaching you new arts, or improving existing ones, can be spotted by the colored halos they wear upon their heads. Once your character senses they are able to learn a new art they should approach one of these teachers. These teachers, however, are not going to just give away the arts they worked hard to learn and improve. Instead they will ask you to perform some sort of small task or quest before teaching it to you. Every quest your character receives in Underlight is written by another player of the game and can be customized for your character.

Your character could be asked to come up with a way to harm one of the Darkmares, gather supplies for an experiment the teacher is planning, or infiltrate an enemy house. The possibilities of what your teacher and you come up with for your quest are limited only by imagination (and a few basic rules!).
Attacking other members for instance, always should have a justifiable reason to do so. This means you would need to predetermine your course of action and be ready to explain why your character needs to kill. Simple ''Because i can'' reasonings are near-universally frowned upon, and extensive abuse will face you with a ban from the game, but if your character by default has seen a troubled life and has a backstory, then the reason to kill is more believable. This goes for everything you do in the game.

Your character is its own individual, with its own history, seperate from the real world and completely unaware of real-life events.

A lengthy description of the rather detailed aspects your character should be aware of is found in the rather excellent Guide to Dreaming. However, The Three Golden Rules of UL are as follows:
The First Rule

"Be Honest with the Software"

Cheating or hacking of any kind is prohibited. Because the client software is a terminal to our servers, using an altered version of the client software is an attempt to hack our servers. This is a federal offense, and we will prosecute you to the fullest extent of the law. The use of any program that alters data transferred between our server and the client will also be considered an attempt to gain unauthorized access to our servers and will also be prosecuted. Using any game mechanics to gain a technical advantage is considered cheating and is subject to disciplinary action.

The Second Rule

"Respect Others"

a) Keep your behavior appropriate at all times. If your language or behavior repeatedly annoys or offends others, you will be banned from playing. We place no limits on the use of language. Consenting adults are free to engage in any language or behavior they mutually agree to, however, much of the player-base are young role-players, and should not be subject to some adult language. Inappropriate behavior includes attacking other players without a valid in game reason, using unnecessarily offensive language, annoying others with out of character chat, excessive begging, etc.

b) Distasteful language whether it in-character to in-character, out-of-character to out-of-character, out-of-character to in-character, or in-character to out-of-character will not be tolerated on official KoiWare servers or channels. The game staff retains the right to determine what behavior is deemed inappropriate and will go through a thorough and specific procedure to implement penalties. Penalties may include a verbal warning, temporary suspension, or in severe cases, termination/banning.

The Third Rule

"Stay in Character"

Underlight is a true Roleplaying game. Upon entering the realm of the City, you have to always remember you are pretending to be your character and leave the outside life of the real world behind. Your character would have no way of knowing sports scores or the latest in music or fashion. So, to protect the environment that all role players are striving for, leave the real world chat outside please. If you must communicate of real world things, please do so in whispers and put the information in double quotes. For example: John Doe whispers: ((hey how do I bind a key to my art?)). This way you can be sure to not offend anyone and protect the active role playing that is going on around your character.

These rules are a very simple guideline to your behavior when playing Underlight. Use your best judgement and behave as if you were in a room full of random people of all ages. The game staff retains the right to determine what behavior is deemed inappropriate and will go through a thorough and specific procedure to implement penalties. Penalties may include a verbal warning, temporary suspension, or in severe cases, termination/banning.
Your character can be a poet of forgotten times, but as such, you have to be aware that this character should be more interested in other similarily minded characters (Called Wordsmiths), in-game poetry contests or writings about the current situation in the world than a character who's more focussed on being a defender of the city.

These are things you need to take into consideration. Always question yourself: How would my character respond to this question/this event/that action?

Remember, Underlight is a true roleplaying game, meaning your character is not aware of what happens in your real life-situation.

Okay well, it has an interesting angle atleast. But how does it look?

provenance2.png

palisade3.png

thrawn-dm.jpg

Blimey at dem visuals! Who would ever play this kind of thing?
  • When you want to reach unprecedented heights in character depth
  • Where every action can have a non-scripted and personal consequence
  • New skills are gained through actual players, not random, impersonal NPC's
  • Involve yourself with interactive story telling through the usage of in-game writing contests about the wits and tales of CloudsBreak (The Underlight Universe)
  • Actively play a role within a role: Want to meddle with internal politics? Or are you that lonesome wanderer on a mission of research?
  • Play as a monster and heckle the other players
  • 20 years of legacy history awaits!
Video:

A final word:
Underlight requires the usage of a KoiWare account to be made via this link. This is the KoiWare Account System. It is your place to be to maintain characters, adding new ones, or removing them. It consists of :
Underlight Character Information

Use the Underlight Characters button below to:
  • View the Underlight characters linked to your KoiWare account
  • Enable Underlight characters
  • Create a new Underlight (dreamer) character
  • Create a new Player Nightmare (monster) character.
Account Information

Use the Account Information button below to:
  • View and modify contact information (e-mail, snail mail address, etc.) for your account
  • View your current Player Mare credit
  • Make a PayPal donation
Create a New Underlight Character

Your experience will be greatly enriched if you take some time to look over the A Guide to Dreaming. Of particular interest are the Roleplaying and Elements of Storytelling guides. More information can be found at UnderlightWiki.com

Character Name:

Character Focus: Your focus determines your character's class in Underlight.

Willpower: Known as Gatekeepers, disciples of Willpower can manipulate the fabric of dreams, altering the walls of thought to protect themselves and others from harmful evocations, even prevent or allow access to areas of the Dream City. Gatekeepers are the warriors of the Dream City.

Insight: Known as Dreamseer, disciples of Insight see the true nature of the dreamstate, are able to slip invisibly into its embrace, and have an intuitive understanding of Talismans. Dreamseer are the scholars of the Dream City.

Resilience: Known as Soulmasters, disciples of Resilience can transmute essence, the substance all inhabitants of Underlight form to shield their souls, and use this power to help or harm others. Soulmasters are the protectors of the Dream City.

Lucidity: Known as Fatesenders, disciples of Lucidity learn to directly change the experiences of others, and are able to alter the movement, sight, and essence of others. Fatesenders are the tricksters of the Dream City.
It goes far beyond the scope of this thread to highlight every single aspect of the game. With the information provided above and below, any interested and upcoming player can atleast have a basic understanding of the unique world Underlight has created.

More info:
A special thanks to Koi-Drama of KoiWare, LLC for his summaries regarding the inner workings of the game as shown on the Underlight website.

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
some interesting concepts, but the whole thing is mired by an absolutely atrocious renderer.

Last edited:
I actually played this back in the day with some guys from Ultima Online. We went back to UO and Underlight wasn't for me. I'd played D&D based text MUDs previously so Underlight was fairly...underwhelming at the time.

Too obscure for GAF? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Not for me. Was quite surprised to see a thread on this game in 2018.

Where's my LTTP: Everquest 1 (the early years), Asheron's Call, Anarchy Online, Dark Age of Camelot threads at?

Someone put up a Meridian 59 or Gemstone III thread while you're at it.

If you told me that was an Everquest private server I would believe it.
Even the initial Everquest trailer was better:

Resolution sucks though, was better back on my 1024x768 monitor! ((Edit: found a better copy)

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Okay? Do you have any opinion about the thread or the game itself?
What did i just read 🙃
An explanation on Underlight the game. You would be surprised how complex the game is, and more in line with a videogame take on LARPing.
Who are they kidding with those graphics?
Its a 1998 game with a 2.5D engine. They aren't kidding anyone, but you are kidding yourself though :)
Admittely, i should have made it more clear that its a 20 year old title.
some interesting concepts, but the whole thing is mired by an absolutely atrocious renderer.
I mean, partially we have to look at the state of gaming back in 1998. True 3D MMO's were very far and inbetween (EverQuest comes to mind as the one who popularized it, but that was a year later). UL is very much like M59 in its technological underpinings - a 2.5D Doom-like engine. Back then having persistent worlds were still a novelty, especially in 3D.

NahaNago

Okay? Do you have any opinion about the thread or the game itself?

Great amount of info in the OP. The game seems too much like work for me but I can see how someone could easily get lost into roleplaying a character's story that you have carefully sculpted.

Redneckerz

Great amount of info in the OP. The game seems too much like work for me but I can see how someone could easily get lost into roleplaying a character's story that you have carefully sculpted.
Its more setting up an imaginary double life than most games attempt to, yes. :)

Top Bottom