• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous Dark Souls Hacker Is Now in Elden Ring, Says He Wants to Be Caught

kingfey

Banned

An infamous hacker is invading Elden Ring players and soft-banning them for sport.

Malcolm Reynolds, who's been hacking FromSoftware games since Dark Souls 3, invades worlds before killing players with hacked, practically undefeatable spells.

The overwhelming power isn't the issue though. As Kotaku reports, these spells also add "illegal" items into the defending player's inventory that were only intended to be used in the development process.

When the defeated player comes back to life, Elden Ring detects they have these illegal items and soft-bans them, meaning they can only play online with other cheaters going forward.

Reynolds said he's forcing players into digital exile to make a point to FromSoftware. Telling Kotaku that he wants to get caught, he calls himself a "necessary evil" that the developer should use as a lesson to implement better anti-cheat software.

Despite claiming a noble cause, however, Reynolds has uploaded YouTube videos of his cheating, killing, and soft-banning while making jokes at his victims' expense.

If Reynolds does invade a game, the best thing to do, according to a Dark Souls 3 Reddit post from six years ago, is disconnect or close the software, or suicide to avoid being killed by him.

It's no surprise Reynolds has made an appearance again, given his history with other FromSoftware titles and the sheer popularity of Elden Ring.

It's proven somewhat of a cultural phenomenon, with crazy adverts, a streamer's Twitch chat playing while he swept, and someone using the Nintendo Switch's Ring Fit Controller to beat a boss. It's even got its own candy

SJRB

Gold Member
Ohh look! Another Eden Ring thread!
spiderman-thats-it.gif

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
A lesson to From Software?

HAHAHAHAHA.

Dark Souls 3 never ever hit 60fps they basically just said fuck it if you dont like a shitty frame rate what are you doing here?
If you think From Software care about actually working to catch a hacker lets get serious mane.

P.S Yes I know in BC mode on XSX/PS5 consoles you can hit 60fps.....but that would be akin to saying Elden Ring will be "fixed" and this hacker will be caught when the PS6 drops and he turns himself in.

Swift_Star

Banned
A lesson to From Software?

HAHAHAHAHA.

Dark Souls 3 never ever hit 60fps they basically just said fuck it if you dont like a shitty frame rate what are you doing here?
If you think From Software care about actually working to catch a hacker lets get serious mane.

P.S Yes I know in BC mode on XSX/PS5 consoles you can hit 60fps.....but that would be akin to saying Elden Ring will be "fixed" and this hacker will be caught when the PS6 drops and he turns himself in.
You can’t on XSX. The last gen version works horribly on it.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
We are talking about Elden Ring.
Im talking about Dark Souls 3.....because From Software learnt such a lesson from that game they let console makers basically get the game to a steady state and they ended up making this specific hacker stop hacking Dark Souls 3.......by releasing Elden Ring.
Basically him saying he wants to teach From Software a lesson is stupid because they literally never learn.
Dark Souls 3 was never fixed.
Elden Ring will never be fixed.

So he will keep hacking till they release another game with MP.

R6Rider

Gold Member
People are already abusing the death build-up exploit in droves. Actual hacks is going to be even worse.

It's proven somewhat of a cultural phenomenon, with crazy adverts, a streamer's Twitch chat playing while he swept, and someone using the Nintendo Switch's Ring Fit Controller to beat a boss. It's even got its own candy

Wut?
yeah that sentence gave me a migraine. I read it like 5 times trying to make sense of it.

RafterXL

The only thing worse than being one of these types of douchbags is being one of these douchbags and trying to make yourself out as some kind of hero. This guy is just a piece of shit who is just using a technical issue to explain away why he's a piece of shit.

This clown is a prime candidate for chemical castration.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
"illegal" items into the defending player's inventory that were only intended to be used in the development process."

FromSoftware devs are almost as assholes as this guy for keeping this itens on the retail game files.

Last edited:

FingerBang

"I'm an activist!" Proceeds to derive pleasure from permanently damaging people's games.
...just like any other activist

The only thing worse than being one of these types of douchbags is being one of these douchbags and trying to make yourself out as some kind of hero. This guy is just a piece of shit who is just using a technical issue to explain away why he's a piece of shit.

This clown is a prime candidate for chemical castration.
Holy shit dude, calm down. He's an asshole bothering people playing video-games, not a serial pedo.

Last edited:

BouncyFrag

Ages ago I got invaded in DS and got a message to see if I wanted to trade. I was with my main ng+++++ build and was about to put the game back on the shelf for a while so I just dropped all my slabs and fully leveled gear. This was the sentiment of the subsequent message:
AcidicSaneGoldenretriever-size_restricted.gif

I had so many cool interactions with other randoms in early Souls games. Not so much in recent years.

Graciaus

Considering From did a work around this time where you can't be invaded unless you play COOP it isn't a huge deal. Before you had to play offline or not at full strength. Still annoying people actively try and ruin other's fun.

Cyborg

He is truly a pathetic person. Ruining games for gamers who just want to enjoy the game.. Get a life, a job, a wife, and a normal hobby.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Kotaku got played with decade old Bane memes.

Top Bottom