• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Initial D 7; a "perfect" arcade racing game and the Initial D Sega story

VGEsoterica

Sega might be best known for games such as Daytona USA, OutRun2, Sega Rally and Scud Race...and that makes total sense! But Initial D has got to be, IMO, their most consistent arcade racing franchise around considering what Sega Rally 3 and Daytona 3 were fun but a bit rough.

Makes sense though as Sega has been banging out Initial D games since back in the Dreamcast/NAOMI era...so they've had a few decades experience working on the series and it shows. Its just straight up racing perfection in my opinion; incredible handling and drifting, great looking graphics, an absolutely outstanding soundtrack and head to head racing either against the AI or a human opponent that feels like the most intense and action filled three minutes of your life (well...there's other things that last 3 minutes lolol...but you get my point)

Sadly basically all of these games are locked to arcades but luckily they can be played at home...and you def should be checking them out! Or if you see a cabinet in the arcades...play it!

But I am curious GAF....who's playing Initial D? and who reads the manga and watches the anime? I admit...I don't throw in for Initial D outside the games but that's just me

ssringo

Enjoyed the anime/manga a lot but stopped paying attention around the Godhand/Godfoot races. Dunno if it even continued past that. Played one of the earlier arcade games back in the mid 2000s. The endless challenge to beat an increasingly fast Bunta was fun stuff.

Meowtor

Gold Member
love playing these on cabs. Started with ver 1 with friends at a local arcade (RIP Willowbrook mall), have played on and off as i find cabs locally. Usually at bigger conventions on the east coast youll find cabs in the game room nowadays

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
For what platform is this one? Import only i reckon?

I was soooooooo into the anime.. Hachi Roku!

Sorcerer

love playing these on cabs. Started with ver 1 with friends at a local arcade (RIP Willowbrook mall), have played on and off as i find cabs locally. Usually at bigger conventions on the east coast youll find cabs in the game room nowadays
Wow!!! I was just going to post that when Intial D was at Fun N' Games at Willowbrook Mall I could never get on the machine to play it because there were large groups of kids waiting to play it. At that point I never experienced anything like that at an arcade. I wonder if we were ever in the arcade at the same time?
Not sure if you remember there was an arcade called The Purple Room (can't remember if it was on the West Belt side of the mall) it was rather tiny therefore really really noisy. God, I am old.

Meowtor

Gold Member
Wow!!! I was just going to post that when Intial D was at Fun N' Games at Willowbrook Mall I could never get on the machine to play it because there were large groups of kids waiting to play it. At that point I never experienced anything like that at an arcade. I wonder if we were ever in the arcade at the same time?
Not sure if you remember there was an arcade called The Purple Room (can't remember if it was on the West Belt side of the mall) it was rather tiny therefore really really noisy. God, I am old.
talk about a small world! I was the assistant manager of Fun World at the rockaway mall for a year or two, usually hit up Fun N Games fridays and saturdays. I raced under 'ERIK' and my buddy jay raced under i believe 'AYUM'. We both rocked RX7s. :)

Cant say i heard/went to purple room though, and yeah, we are old lmfao

Top Bottom