• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insider Gaming - Far Cry 7 and Far Cry Multiplayer in Development at Ubisoft

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
far-cry-mutliplayer.jpg

Insider Gaming sources have revealed that two new Far Cry games are in development at Ubisoft, one presumed to be Far Cry 7 as a single-player experience and the other to be a multiplayer-only title.

Details on what both games entail are slim, but it’s understood that the titles were intended to be one game at one point, but separated to become two separate projects early on in development. The game was believed to be known as Project Talisker under the helm of Day Hay until both games became their own separate entities after his departure to Blizzard Entertainment.

Two sources, who have requested to remain anonymous because they were not authorized to speak about company information have said that details are still slim and Maverick has changed numerous times in the past year or so. However, Insider Gaming understands that the game is pitched as being set in the Alaskan wilderness and is currently an extraction-based shooter with mechanics such as permadeath, a backpack system, contracts, and more.

Screenshots of the game provided to Insider Gaming under the request that they don’t go public show lootable chests, extraction zones, and more.

It’s understood that the games are still at least a couple of years away, with a tentative scheduled release date of fall 2025. Despite the internal deadline though, the publisher’s inconsistency with meeting such deadlines could suggest the game is even further out than that.

Ubisoft was contacted before the publication of this report and said “We don’t comment on rumours or speculation”.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I'd love to see a remake of the original Farcry, I loved that Island of Dr. Moreau shit, didn't mind the second one but for me personally the games nosedived into ubi boreathons

MiguelItUp

Yeah, they really need to take a step back and go over everything before they just keep copying and pasting the same thing over and over again. The ol' Ubisoft experience it seems.

I really loved Far Cry 2 and 3, but then I felt like it just kind of went downhill from there. At least Primal was different enough. 4 I couldn't get into, 5 I heard was pretty good, 6 I heard was eh. Just gonna keep churning them out until they exhaust the IP I guess.

Finally some Farcry 7 news. I was thinking 6 would be the last.
I always play these games on PC.
I don't go to bat for them saying they are this or that but I do like playing them.

Last edited:
Ubisoft late to another trend instead of expanding the old map builder to support Fortnite-style distribution and curation of levels and game types.

SJRB

Gold Member
Of course it is.

You know, make a Far Cry 2 remake and I'll pay 200 dollars for a copy. That game was amazing in so many ways, but had a lot of baffling design decisions and was released two console generations to soon.

There's so much potential there that I am legit amazed Ubi hasn't capitalized on that.

But that's just Ubi, isn't it?

- Black Flag is a huge success, so make a Black Flag 2? Nope, you get Skull and Bones or whatever
- Watchdogs 2 is a huge succes, so make a Watchdogs 3? Nope, you get Watchdogs Legion
- Ghost Recon Wildlands is a huge succes, so make a Wildlands 2? Nope, you get Breakpoint

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
ITT we learn that Extraction Shooters have already had their moment in the sun.

Y'all really don't understand how nascent this genre is.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
UbiSoft fucked up by making Far Cry Arcade exclusive to Far Cry 5. That was truly an awesome addition, with some genuinely fun maps created by users. Should’ve been a free download for everyone, and then sell little cosmetic add ons to make money.

Anyways I hope they don’t pattern FC7 after FC6. Gunplay was fine, but I hated the characters and disliked the lack of a skill tree. Tying abilities to loot kinda sucked.

Last edited:
FC6 could've been good if not for the awful characters and story and the annoying ammo system.

They need to get away from these unnecessary design elements that do nothing but bog down the game.

Get back to what they did with FC3 or reboot the franchise by changing up the formula.

Is the next Far Cry ever not in development?

"Teams are always working on the next Mario game." Insert any popular series in place of Mario. It's not much a scoop to say a new Far Cry is coming sometime LOL

Last edited:
Zero interest. The series explored interesting concepts in FC2 and retcon'd everything for FC3 which was amazing, but each subsequent game has largely used the same formula and has been less and less interesting with each release, to the point that Far Cry 6 was an absolute slog.

They need to go back to the drawing board and create a new experience, go back to the more serious tone of the earlier games, focus more on the narrative, etc. I honestly think they should reboot the game and combo up the best parts of 2 and 3, lean back heavily into the environment being its own weapon, etc.

Mobilemofo

I stopped at 5. Unless 6 comes on ps plus, I'm not buying it. Ever..I overpaid for FarCry primal (£4.99). I knew it was a Reskin plus meh characters so that's on me. 😄

Top Bottom