• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Insider Gaming] PlayStation 5 Pro is “100%” in Development.

Mr.Phoenix

Hey it would definitely be cool if it came, then I wanted to see what the specs and it's features are. But since PS4 Pro was so clearly aimed at 4K tvs I would think it was just a one time thing. PlayStation have never had a Pro console before that I believe? Maybe in Japan
The way I see it, is that the concept of a Pro console comes from the same place that every console refresh came from. Just that before the PS4, refreshes always just meant going smaller and cheaper. But what a Pro basically represents, is the answer to the question, if we spent the exact same money we did 3 years ago making the console, what kinda console would we end up with now?

So say the pro comes along with a refresh, refresh cost Sony $300+ to make, so what can Sony make if they spent $500 on a console now? So they have $200 more to spend. What if the bulk of that extra money was spent on the APU? Keep the RAM the same, SSD the same, throw in 4GB of lpddr4 RAM for OS and background tasks, and spend $120-$150 more + what is already being spent on the APU, on just the APU.

And while I don't think it will happen, I also don't see it being too much of a hassle for them to do it either. And they are perfectly poised to do so particularly because they didn't start this generation with two SKUs already. They could make a premium $600 PS5pro if they wanted and that would be ok.

Last edited:

dano1

A Sheep
..why?

This fucking gen didn't even start yet, we've had like 4 or 5 actual gen exclusives
They're making the consoles basically PCs with 3 year new hardware releases
But suckers will keep on sucking
Every 3 years is perfect. The other thing is nobody is forced to buy it. If you’re happy with your PS5 all the games work. Just like the PS4 pro. Day 1!!

The easiest next gen console to guess the specs of.
CPU - Zen 4 8 core, 16 thread @4.1ghz
GPU - 72CU at 2.23ghz @ 20tflops
RAM - 24 Gig
SSD exactly the same.
The only thing that looks correct in your list is the CPU.

Way too many CUs for the GPU. They will target less CUs with a modest boost in frequency.

Ram will likely still be 16GBs, but perhaps a boost in bandwidth. The amount of ram honestly isn't really an issue, but more bandwidth would definitely help push the better GPU.

Internal SSD will likely be bigger, but nothing too crazy.

..why?

This fucking gen didn't even start yet, we've had like 4 or 5 actual gen exclusives

Please explain how wanting to upgrade every 3 yrs to make sure you are gaming with best performance makes someone a sucker, especially when you can offset a good portion of the cost by selling your existing console?

I could sell my PS5 for $400 this year and that would likely put me only $200 short of the Pro. The Pro is not going to cost more than $599. $100 - $200 every 3 yrs to keep performance in check is not a big deal.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
The biggest wins for a PS5 pro imo would be HW accelerated upscaling and faster CPU. I welcome more dedicated RT hardware but I don't think it should come at the cost of fixed function upscaling because we already have proof that the consoles can handle full RTGI as demonstrated by Metro Exodus, so long as the developers redesign their rendering pipeline, and I'm sure Sony first party can get even better results. That goes double if they are able to save on bandwidth and compute with DLSS like hardware.

Do you think PS5 Pro or NextBox will use GDDR7 or or 3D X-DRAM, or some variation of HBM? I think the goal is to achieve a bandwidth of 1TB/sec or greater

Last edited:
RAM - 24 Gig
SSD exactly the same.

I Disagree on some of your speculations:

CPU: Zen 5 based hitting between 4Ghz-5GHz
GPU: RDNA 4 based hitting close to 3Ghz or higher
SSD: It will be faster, 10GB/sec-20GB/sec
NPU: It will have some sort of NPU core cause of artificial intelligence.
USB 4.0 ports
Wifi6E or Wifi7

Results: A) Native 4K (not reconstruction or checkerboard) at 60fps Raster. B) Native 4K (not reconstruction or checkerboard) at 30fps with raytracing. C) Reconstruction or checkerboard 4K with raytracing at 60fps-144fps perhaps hitting maximum refresh rate of 240fps?

D) 8K reconstruction or checkerboard at 30fps-60fps with raytracing or raster. (i think there will be some push for 8K)

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
The way I see it, is that the concept of a Pro console comes from the same place that every console refresh came from. Just that before the PS4, refreshes always just meant going smaller and cheaper. But what a Pro basically represents, is the answer to the question, if we spent the exact same money we did 3 years ago making the console, what kinda console would we end up with now?

So say the pro comes along with a refresh, refresh cost Sony $300+ to make, so what can Sony make if they spent $500 on a console now? So they have $200 more to spend. What if the bulk of that extra money was spent on the APU? Keep the RAM the same, SSD the same, throw in 4GB of lpddr4 RAM for OS and background tasks, and spend $120-$150 more + what is already being spent on the APU, on just the APU.

And while I don't think it will happen, I also don't see it being too much of a hassle for them to do it either. And they are perfectly poised to do so particularly because they didn't start this generation with two SKUs already. They could make a premium $600 PS5pro if they wanted and that would be ok.
You’ve lost the plot. “Pro” consoles provide much higher margins for SNY plus an ability to upsell the consumer / get some to double dip.

Mr.Phoenix

You’ve lost the plot. “Pro” consoles provide much higher margins for SNY plus an ability to upsell the consumer / get some to double dip.
You know what it means for something to be premium right?

And where did I say they sell it at a loss? I literally said they spend $500 making it and could sell it for $600.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Saying he destroyed the Xbox single handedly is ridiculous, did he make all the first party games by himself? Did he do all the marketing by himself? These clowns need to chill their fanboy fetishism.

Tbh I didn't even read the subtweet John was responding to. I just saw Cerny's twitter page reference and John's comments on working with him. I doubt John paid any attention to the foolish bits either.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Please explain how wanting to upgrade every 3 yrs to make sure you are gaming with best performance makes someone a sucker, especially when you can offset a good portion of the cost by selling your existing console?

I could sell my PS5 for $400 this year and that would likely put me only $200 short of the Pro. The Pro is not going to cost more than $599. $100 - $200 every 3 yrs to keep performance in check is not a big deal.
Because the way computing is going the speed of HW advancement is slowing down and the performance required to improve your games by a meaningful margin is increasing (bonus: Pro consoles tend to be under used by developers who will mostly get what can be bruteforced… adding more HW variety to the mix does the opposite of encouraging optimisation by the way).

It is fine to want a new toy more often, it is fine to have expectations (unrealistic too), but it is not actually best for the console model in an of itself which is built around mostly a single fixed HW (per vendor) developers can exploit for many years and make exclusive games for leaving the older generation behind. Otherwise you are getting the worst of both worlds: tons of HW profiles (like PC’s requiring more and more abstracted and inherently less efficient API’s to manage) in closed down boxes (like a console, no easy modding or hacking).

Last edited:

MikeM

Because the way computing is going the speed of HW advancement is slowing down and the performance required to improve your games by a meaningful margin is increasing (bonus: Pro consoles tend to be under used by developers who will mostly get what can be bruteforced… adding more HW variety to the mix does the opposite of encouraging optimisation by the way).

It is fine to want a new toy more often, it is fine to have expectations, but it is not actually best for the console model in an of itself which is built around mostly a single fixed HW (per vendor) developers can exploit for many years and make exclusive games for leaving the older generation behind. Otherwise you are getting the worst of both worlds: tons of HW profiles (like PC’s requiring more and more abstracted and inherently less efficient API’s to manage) in closed down boxes (like a console, no easy modding or hacking).
One thing current consoles are lacking is AI dedicated hardware. I know RDNA3 GPUs has that and i’m curious to see if FSR 3 will use them.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
One thing current consoles are lacking is AI dedicated hardware. I know RDNA3 GPUs has that and i’m curious to see if FSR 3 will use them.
I do not think RDNA3 have much beyond an expansion of the work they did for int4/int8/fp16 rapid packed math instructions they added for RDNA2. Now the rumoured Halo Strix SoC has some and it could be used but anything beyond built in and automagical might not be used much if at all by most devs if exclusive to Pro consoles.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
One other console question we put to Zelnick is that of mid-generation console refreshes. It was about this point in the last console cycle that Microsoft first announced what would be the Xbox One X, and Sony soon followed with the PlayStation 4 Pro. We ask if we should expect to see such iterative hardware this time around, and whether or how they impacted Take-Two's business in the previous generation.

"We probably will," Zelnick says, "and they did not affect the business very much."
HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 GITT

Would make sense he knew about it, I think it was about a year ago when a credible a R* leaker mentioned the studio had gotten their hands on the mid-gen refresh dev kits. What's interesting is Henderson is claiming that third party studios won't get their hands on the dev kits later this year..

i know I've mentioned this like a million times now.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Would make sense he knew about it, I think it was about a year ago when a credible a R* leaker mentioned the studio had gotten their hands on the mid-gen refresh dev kits. What's interesting is Henderson is claiming that third party studios won't get their hands on the dev kits later this year..

i know I've mentioned this like a million times now.
I know the R* leaker said that he knew some dev kits went out and I will say about March last year I was told there were a few early devkits put together but everything was put on hold because of pricing but very possible those kits went out because that R* leaker is usually very accurate

Fast forward a year and people seem to think GTA 6 will launch with the PS5 Pro

I would have bet a lot of money on the Pro being real last year and would have lost because they did put it on hold but I would double that bet as of today it is in fact coming

I can't share anything but word of mouth with mods here as most of this has been talked about over voice so I have no proof

Whats there to be glad about not getting a PS5 for years and getting a newer version in a year, maybe later? Im glad I got to play my PS5 day one, get to sell it for a good price when moving to a PS5 Pro and not being without a PS5 period. I get the choice not to buy something for whatever reason, but you state it like you won / gained something. Just curious.
I have a decent gaming PC. I don't need to get a console and I'll be happy to wait and pick up a PS5 Pro.

sncvsrtoip

RAM - 24 Gig
SSD exactly the same.
its 40tflops as rdna3 has dual issue simd units tough we cant compare this tflops to rdna2/1 as for example according to techpowerup 50tf 7900xt is 15% faster than 24tf 6950xt

Three

Yes. RGT has been wrong about too many things, especially when it comes to Playstation and AMD.

I do trust Tom more as he's been reliable in leaking Playstation hardware, most recently the Dualsense Edge controller.
I personally don't trust Tom or RGT on a Pro. I trust Tom on things that have a youtube video that he seems to leak the contents of possibly weeks early but not on long term strategy stuff year(s) away like the pro.

Ray tracing on consoles needs to die. period.

AMD will do nothing about it. a full ray tracing brings 4090 to 80 fps with DLSS 3 ON and frame generation. like. it's so not worth it.

pretty ? sure call it that ( even though sometimes I like the fake lighting depending on the location ), but not because it's pretty a 400$ console should have it.

use these resources to make the game look better. like, better character models, better animation, better physics, and realistic lighting even if it's fake.

Enough with the stupid push for ray tracing. honestly, sometimes I feel this push simply because devs are becoming retards and do want to switch a ray tracing toggle and that's it. less work for them.

I don't think it needs to go away, there are definitely some severe growing pains right now with it because I think RT hardware inside the GPU is still in its infancy, but over time it will benefit everybody, especially the developers since they won't have to bake in lighting, etc. once everything eventually goes to RT for lighting, etc. I am hoping when the PS5 Pro comes out they will have implemented some additional RT hardware inside the console on top of beefing up the GPU, I would love nothing more than to do 60-120fps with RT turned on.

I personally don't trust Tom or RGT on a Pro. I trust Tom on things that have a youtube video that he seems to leak the contents of possibly weeks early but not on long term strategy stuff year(s) away like the pro.

Just to be clear we're speaking about Tom Henderson right, not Tom from MLiD who I don't really trust.

Henderson has been consistent for the most part, and he claimed recently that he has the roadmap as well as timeline/distribution for the Pro developer kits, I think I'll more confidently believe him when the PS5 slim comes out with a detachable disk which as far as I'm aware he was the first to leak.

Three

Just to be clear we're speaking about Tom Henderson right, not Tom from MLiD who I don't really trust.

Henderson has been consistent for the most part, and he claimed recently that he has the roadmap as well as timeline/distribution for the Pro developer kits, I think I'll more confidently believe him when the PS5 slim comes out with a detachable disk which as far as I'm aware he was the first to leak.
Yeah Henderson. he has been very consistent with leaking things a few weeks early from what often looks like a promotional source but his long term leaks are still unproven. He leaked the detachable drive PS5 and said it will be a September 2023 release. Guess we will see soon enough with some possible future leaks. That would be a real boost in confidence for his information.

Loxus

Yeah Henderson. he has been very consistent with leaking things a few weeks early from what often looks like a promotional source but his long term leaks are still unproven. He leaked the detachable drive PS5 and said it will be a September 2023 release. Guess we will see soon enough with some possible future leaks. That would be a real boost in confidence for his information.
If it's releasing September 2023, I expect it to be announce at the PS showcase tomorrow.

Three

If it's releasing September 2023, I expect it to be announce at the PS showcase tomorrow.
I doubt that. With the PS4 Slim they officially announced in September and released in the same month. What's odd though if Tom's rumour is correct is that the 'Slim' and Pro would be 1yr out of sync this time compared to the PS4. That's a little odd in terms of sourcing components for the two.

I know the R* leaker said that he knew some dev kits went out and I will say about March last year I was told there were a few early devkits put together but everything was put on hold because of pricing but very possible those kits went out because that R* leaker is usually very accurate

Both manufacturers or just Sony?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I doubt that. With the PS4 Slim they officially announced in September and released in the same month. What's odd though if Tom's rumour is correct is that the 'Slim' and Pro would be 1yr out of sync this time compared to the PS4. That's a little odd in terms of sourcing components for the two.
The only reason I would think they would stagger it to next year for a Pro, would be to where the RDNA tech is at the time/node and pricing.

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
Saying he destroyed the Xbox single handedly is ridiculous, did he make all the first party games by himself? Did he do all the marketing by himself? These clowns need to chill their fanboy fetishism.

He put on a fake moustache and got a job as head of engineering @ xbox in his free time, he designed the xbox one to be shit and pitched the series S to Phil.

Three

The only reason I would think they would stagger it to next year for a Pro, would be to where the RDNA tech is at the time/node and pricing.
Exactly, which makes me wonder why they wouldn't just wait for the node and price reduction for the Slim model too.
Their 2023 forcast kind of points to a slim not releasing in September unless the new models don't affect sell-in much.

Fw2Nc2LWYAQFdB5

I have doubts that Tom is reliable on that rumour but I could be wrong.

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
He put on a fake moustache and got a job as head of engineering @ xbox in his free time, he designed the xbox one to be shit and pitched the series S to Phil.

No, you got it wrong, Phil Spencer just loved Cerny so much and tried so hard to hire him for the Xbox One, but ended up having to get his non-union mexican equivalent, Señor Marco Cernio. 😁

Last edited:

SHA

..why?

It started with incompleted games.

truth411

The only thing that looks correct in your list is the CPU.

Way too many CUs for the GPU. They will target less CUs with a modest boost in frequency.

Ram will likely still be 16GBs, but perhaps a boost in bandwidth. The amount of ram honestly isn't really an issue, but more bandwidth would definitely help push the better GPU.

Internal SSD will likely be bigger, but nothing too crazy.
Respectfully disagree.

PS5 Pro GPU will most likely be chiplets. Sony filed a patten about dividing the screen into 4 sections with gpu chiplets responsible for their section of the screen.

IMO this points to 4 GPU chiplets each 20CUs, 2CUs disabled to increase yields thus 18CUs. 18 x 4 = 72CUs
(Which is 2x the CUs of PS5, just like PS4 Pro)
Since there small and not a large monolithic die, it should be more affordable.

If it comes out holiday 2024, then it's most likely using TSMC N3E, so it will be clocked higher than 2.23GHZ

It will definitely have more Ram if they go up in price point, I highly doubt the Pro will cost $499, more like $699 since it's the hard core that will desire to upgrade.
Also PS6 won't come cout until Holiday 2028 at the earliest, probably 2029.

Last edited:
I'm more interested in a PS5 Slim. I'm not buying consoles for graphics or performance lol.

I do wonder what their strategy is though. If we get a PS5 Slim this year and a Pro next year which is what the rumours suggest. I haven't been following them closely so might (probably) have missed a lot of them.

Here a PS5 is £480 and the Digital is £390. Would it go for the £480 with disc drive included or £390 no drive included? Then when Pro model comes out it would be £480 or a bit more and the Slim would get a price cut down to £390 (£300 without drive) ??

I have no use for a disc drive so would definitely grab an all digital Slim model!

Top Bottom