• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insider Gaming Rumor - Sony is Developing Wireless Earbuds and new Headset for The PS5

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

Insider Gaming sources have revealed that Sony is developing wireless earbuds and a new wireless headset for the PS5, both of which are scheduled to release towards the end of FY23 (April 2023 – March 2024).

The earbuds, named Project Nomad, will have an approximate battery life of around 5 hours, which is almost identical to Apple’s AirPods, but slightly less than Sony’s WF-1000XM3’s 6-hour battery life. Of course, just like almost all wireless earbuds on the market, the Nomad will come with a charging case that can be charged via a USD-C cable to the PlayStation 5. In addition, the same connection method will be used for the wireless earbud updates on the PS5.

As well as the earbuds, sources have also said that the company is developing a new wireless headset for the PlayStation 5, named Voyager, and is also aiming to be released at a similar time to Nomad. it’s understood that the Nomad headset has similar functionality to the Inzone H7 headset, but its price point is yet to be determined.

Although not confirmed by sources, what makes both products’ release dates particularly interesting is their proposed release date. Last year, Insider Gaming exclusively reported that Sony is developing a new PlayStation 5 with a detachable disc drive, which is expected to hit shelves in September 2023. If both scheduled release dates are met, it could suggest that Sony is planning a serious relaunch of sorts for the console.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I have a Pulse, but I'm sure some people want an ear bud instead. I'm not into wireless earbuds personally. Hassle to charge constantly for frequent use, and easy to lose, and way overpriced.
I am just a large dude and the Pulse just do not fit great and in fact many headsets hurt my oversized done

I know earbuds do not give the quality as a good headset but doesn't hurt after awhile for me

Bo_Hazem

Banned
In before battery life whiners
200.gif

Kuranghi

I just have to accept that I hate headphones when compared to speakers, like the wearing of them, if I want to properly experience a game's audio then I just have to play it before midnight so I can turn it up, surround sound ftw as well, can't truly get that on headphones without a lot of dicking around/too much money.

Off-topic: I bought some Arctis Nova Pro Wireless to replace my Pulse 3D, anyone in the UK looking for some and don't want to pay £90 PM me, I used then probably less than 10 times for an hour or so and have all the original accessories (minus the box possibly). Yes even though I said I hate headphones I spent 3 hundo on some lol, if I'm gonna have to use them for MP then I want them to be feature-filled okay lol.

sainraja

It needs to match Airpod Pros battery life and come with its own charging case like the Airpods, then it might be worth it.

EDIT
As someone who way prefers even wired earbuds to headsets I will love this no matter what console I play on
They've gotta push that narrative and make it a PS thing. Everything in gaming, I swear, is viewed through that lens. lol. I don't think people want low battery life... they can adjust to it or are capable of weighing the pros and cons for themselves.

The article states that it will be 5 hours, which matches AirPods, but aren't AirPods 8 hours? (I will double-check), and it does come with its own charging case that helps with keeping it charged so hopefully this does too.

Last edited:
I really wish I could just use any of the other fucking Bluetooth headphones I own…
That’ll be to do with audio latency. I hooked up my Cambridge Audio earbuds to my Switch and the delay was noticeable. It was OK for me personally as it was just single player stuff but that would be a no go for multiplayer fast paced stuff.

Synless

That’ll be to do with audio latency. I hooked up my Cambridge Audio earbuds to my Switch and the delay was noticeable. It was OK for me personally as it was just single player stuff but that would be a no go for multiplayer fast paced stuff.
Ok, so I use Bluetooth (AirPods Pro or Pixel Buds Pro) for gaming on my phone. I don’t think I have ever noticed Bluetooth lag in my multiplayer games or any game for that matter. I’m not saying it doesn’t exist, I am questioning why my Ps5 or Series x doesn’t have support and if it did, why would it lag?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Interesting. Why not.
But I really love my pulse 3d. In fact, Inwill grab another pair if I see them discontinued

Branding story aside, Sony does a kick ass job with their headphones. Those and cameras are really the only A-tier consumer product offerings outside of Playstation.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I don't get why people would enjoy using earbuds with their consoles though, might as well just use your headset.
For those who probably don't want something covering their entire ears and/or get hot and sweaty in the summer months.

This will pair well with VR, since you already have something on your head and don't want to add to the bulk.

Also, you can tell who doesn't own earbuds, since the battery life is in line with most out there. High end or low end.

Last edited:

Crayon

Ah. I just had to replace my earbuds. I got some Sony ones for $80. They are much nicer than the cheap ones I had.

Rac3r

New wireless gaming headset as well. That would be their fifth headset after the Pulse, H3, H7 and H9. I'm guessing it'll be a successor to the Pulse and designed to fit over the PSVR2

Have the pulse 3D already and they are pretty good for the price, but this is a cool alternative. Do not understand the people complaining about the battery life. That seems perfectly acceptable. I have Galaxy buds and don't think they go much longer than 5.5 hours

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
I don't get why people would enjoy using earbuds with their consoles though, might as well just use your headset.
hot weather is the main problem here. and sometimes removing certain brand of headset will pull your hair. (I have a steelseries arctis 7+, it doesnt pull my hair but its still hot if wearing it long session)
I cant wear it in long session unless i turned on the aircon.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

I like the idea of wireless earbuds. Hopefully MS will copy that idea if it happens.

I have the official headset and it works well, but I guess I have an unusually fat head LOL, there really is no way to adjust it where it doesn't hurt my ears after an hour or so. I generally end up using some basic earbuds connected to my monitor but you don't get spatial audio that way. Wireless buds sound like a really nice solution if they aren't too expensive.

Top Bottom