• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insider Gaming: Sony’s next Playstation Handheld (not a cloud-streaming device)

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
Q-lite.png

Following days of speculation, Insider Gaming can report that there’s a new PlayStation Handheld in development.

Codenamed the Q Lite, the next PlayStation handheld is the next piece of Sony hardware that aims to be yet another piece of hardware that requires the PlayStation 5. Insider Gaming understands that the Q Lite is not a cloud-streaming device, but instead uses Remote Play with the PlayStation 5 – A feature the console giant has been pushing these past couple of weeks.

Sporting adaptive streaming up to 1080p and 60FPS, the new device will require constant connectivity to the internet.

As for the console’s physical features, early prototypes show the console will look a lot like a PlayStation 5 controller, but with a massive 8-inch LCD touchscreen in the center. The device sports adaptive triggers for haptic feedback and will include what you would come to expect from a handheld – Volume buttons, speakers, an audio input jack, etc.

Insider Gaming understands that the Q Lite is in its QA phase and is scheduled to release before the PlayStation 5 Pro and after the Detachable Disc Drive PS5.

As previously mentioned by industry insider Jeff Grubb, Sony is planning to announce its “second phase of the PS5”, which was in reference to its future game slate. Ironically though, this “second phase” is very much true for Sony’s hardware offerings, with the new detachable disc drive PlayStation 5, Project Nomad (wireless earphones), Project Voyager (wireless headset), and Q Lite (handheld) all scheduled to release within a very short period. It’s understood that the PlayStation 5 Pro is aiming for a holiday 2024 release.

Last edited:

TrebleShot

Awesome , day 1.
My only issue with this is I was hoping it would be OLED.

LCD for these devices in 2023 is a bit old school.

But from using remote play on steam deck it would be an amazing game changer.

1080p is perfect but I would have loved to have seen 120hz display with VRR.

PS5 controller strapped to a screen sounds a little weird but I’ll give it a chance.

Biggest thing for me is OLED and 16:9 aspect ratio. Worst thing on SD is the black bars when playing 16:9 content as it’s a 16:10 screen.

not a cloud-streaming device, but instead uses Remote Play with the PlayStation 5

the new device will require constant connectivity to the internet.
wtf, if true. Currently Android and Apple is already supported, so why would I use such a limited device?

Any receiver thing must do at least both otherwise it would be a retarded joke.

For those wondering about the price remember that since this thing adds nothing to an owners capacity purchase more software, it must make a profit on the hardware.

I could mabey see Sony breaking even on it if you could get people who aren't already in your ecosystem to sub to PS+, but the damn thing already requires a PS5.

Played half of Resi 4 remake on remote play on my steamdeck. Smooth 1080p/60 and you can set the bitrate to whatever your internet can handle. And its not even the official app. Cant imagine the strides sony will have made for their own handheld.

jm89

I don't understand how people can play modern games on small screens. Just killing the experience. Deck, Switch, etc are good for indie games or shmups in portable mode, but if a game has amazing visuals like why waste them on a tiny display?
Depends on the game. Some games like 13 sentinels aegis rim or octopath traveler 2 work decently on small screens and you don't lose much.

But yeah i definitely wouldn't play god of war ragnarok on it.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I mean Nintendo acknowledged that maintaining two systems is an overwhelming requirement in todays environment with dev costs rising. Sony wouldn’t commit to that.

They already have psvr2 as well.

Last edited:
In 2012 I bought a PS Vita in anticipation of remote play from PS4...

In the house it shouldn't require internet at all. you would be playing your games via WLAN, not internet

If the price is right, I could be interested in this

Last edited:

Hunnybun

How would this work, technically? Is the idea that you can stream from your PS5 as long as you're connected to the internet? So I could be on the other side of the world? Would the device turn on my PS5 remotely, for example?

Sorry, I'm pretty ignorant about this stuff.

Corndog

Banned
This seems worst then just a cloud handheld.
It's just a for remote play?
With the info provided, I'm predicting DOA.
If it’s just remote play, why the need for the internet? Shouldn’t it just run on your local Wi-Fi? Maybe that’s what they mean.

jm89

How would this work, technically? Is the idea that you can stream from your PS5 as long as you're connected to the internet? So I could be on the other side of the world? Would the device turn on my PS5 remotely, for example?

Sorry, I'm pretty ignorant about this stuff.
Yeah it would stream stuff from your ps5 to the device, although being on the other side of the world will probably be an awful experience. Never tried remote play from that far no idea if it would even work.

Last edited:
If it’s just remote play, why the need for the internet? Shouldn’t it just run on your local Wi-Fi? Maybe that’s what they mean.

Local wifi works if you are in your house...

If you are outside internet would be required

Just like it was on PS Vita with PS4

Chukhopops

Seems to me like if this thing does remote play there should be no technical reason it can't also do cloud streaming. They're basically the same thing, just with different sources for the video stream.
True but is there any way to play PS5 games via Cloud servers today? Honest question since I don’t have Extra or Premium.

It could be that the device will be forward compatible with Sony’s Cloud interface once it exists for PS5 games.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
True but is there any way to play PS5 games via Cloud servers today? Honest question since I don’t have Extra or Premium.

It could be that the device will be forward compatible with Sony’s Cloud interface once it exists for PS5 games.

No, just PS3 and PS4 I believe.

I was just reacting to this article saying it's NOT a cloud streaming device, but a remote play device. IMO those are the same thing.

Hunnybun

I do think there's something just inherently cool about playing on a handheld. When I had a Switch I played pretty much exclusively in portable mode, even at home.

And some games just don't feel right on a big tv - basically simpler stuff, 2d games etc - so I'm sure I'd use something like this.

Ironically though, this “second phase” is very much true for Sony’s hardware offerings, with the new detachable disc drive PlayStation 5, Project Nomad (wireless earphones), Project Voyager (wireless headset), and Q Lite (handheld) all scheduled to release within a very short period. It’s understood that the PlayStation 5 Pro is aiming for a holiday 2024 release.

So whenever Sony’s next PlayStation Showcase will be, it’s seemingly going to be a big one.

Elios83

Seems to me like if this thing does remote play there should be no technical reason it can't also do cloud streaming. They're basically the same thing, just with different sources for the video stream.
It could do remote playing of PS3/PS4 games using the PSNow infrastructure, but Sony has not a solution to stream PS5 games using cloud, hence why the server is your own PS5 connected to the internet.

Personally I'm not interested in such product but if it's cheap it might be a good solution to play PS5 games in every place with a decent internet connection. But I doubt it will cost less than 250$.

UnNamed

Banned
This has more sense.
But considering a PS5 controller already cost 70€, a device like this could cost 100€ or more. A detatchable controller for smartphone is 50€.
A proper controller with screen could have less lag, though.

• Empathy
Reactions: amc

rofif

Banned
So its a ps5 accessory which is fine but why would I ever want to play on a smaller screen than I have on my desk

Kokoloko85

If it plays PS5/PS4 games downscaled, like steamdeck ans Switch with 3rd party games, than day one.
If remote play/cloud only for PS5,then no

Last edited:
Top Bottom