• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insider Gaming: Sony’s next Playstation Handheld (not a cloud-streaming device)

Markio128

baby eating GIF

Crayon

I feel for everyone who wanted to Vita 2, but honestly that would be so stupid of them to make. I don't know if this is going to be successful or not, but at least makes sense to try.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Why not make something in between the Switch and Steam Deck power wise. Small form factor, dock, OLED screen, 5 hour battery and PS5 remote play. Buy 4 or 5 dedicated handheld studios (teams like Supergiant Games). Sit back and sell 20m units in Japan alone and cream in the MTX profit from games like Genshin and Fortnite?

Kvally

Banned
This is what the showcase will be about.
PC ports Announcements & This....
Seems to be par for course with Sony at the moment.
Throwing expensive accessories & hardware at us while actual game development for the past 3 years is dedicated to PC ports.

"Look! PC ports!
What about PS5 owners you say?
Well...umm we got no new games to announce but we haven't forgot you, how about this new expensive useless PS5 accessory to fund those ports!"
Calm down! They are giving us Spider-Man 2 this year, at some point!

Spider-Man Game GIF by Xbox

would work if this priced at 99 dollar, but we know its Sony so probably DOA
Exactly. If this is streaming only it could potentially be very cheap and a huge success. Couple cheap Android hardware pieces from China and a Sony logo slapped onto them, done. Only 499 ,- because why not we're Sony.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Not a fan of remote play device. I wanted an offline device that can play all your ps4 or ps5 games digitally. Kinda like on the go. Screen I’m ok with 720p because it’s small screen

So a $700 device?

trintrop

Neo Member
It’s not a separate system they need to deliberately support like the PSVR or Vita. It’s just an extension of the PS5. Supporting the PS5, in turn, supports the device.
Yes, it makes a lot of sense. I very much doubt Sony expects it to sell gangbusters. But as another additive experience.

Woopah

Is this confirmed somewhere? I only see mixed reports.

I find it hard to believe that a device with an 8 inch screen attached to Dualsense-esque shell has no new OS and is just a Remote Play accessory.
The report says that the device must be connected to the internet at all times and requires a PS5 to be able to play. If you were able to actually install games on the Q Lite itself, they'd be no need for it to require a PS5 to work.

So it sounds like its not a Switch Lite, but more of an ehhanced Wii U gamepad.

Of course none of this is confirmed until Sony itself talks about the device.

Ozriel

M$FT
Why were people so okay with an Xbox Series Z, but not this?

You don’t see the difference between a streaming stick for big screen gaming and this rumor?

I’m also not sure many people expected a streaming stick to be a mass market success vs just buying a Series S.

Last edited:

SRTtoZ

Talk about misleading title. Yea it's not a cloud streaming device but it's a streaming device. Stupid as hell. Is it going to play games seamlessly without input lag when I'm out of my house? The answer is no because I already play the cloud games from the most advanced PS+ tier and I can still feel the input lag.

Woopah

Why not make something in between the Switch and Steam Deck power wise. Small form factor, dock, OLED screen, 5 hour battery and PS5 remote play. Buy 4 or 5 dedicated handheld studios (teams like Supergiant Games). Sit back and sell 20m units in Japan alone and cream in the MTX profit from games like Genshin and Fortnite?
Becasue at this point splitting resources between different ecosystems is not the best idea. Games are too expensive and take too long to make.

Sony's problem in Japan is a software one not a hardware one. If they are going to buy studios and ask them to make games appealing to Japan, then the best thing to do would be to put those games on PS5.

Area61

If the handheld can run or compatible with Ps1/PS2/PS3 games and this'll print money, otherwise will collect dust 2-3 years after release.

Last edited:

sono

Gold Member
Sony you did this with the Vita I bought one I loved it you abandoned me my heart can’t take it again I am broken

If the handheld can run or compatible with Ps1/PS2/PS3 games and this'll print money, otherwise will collect dust 2-3 years after release.

If you have Playstation Plus Premium, you can play the PS3 games available there

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Stop trying to make Remote play or cloud gaming a thing.

I use my PS5 remote play all the time. It's pretty sick.

You can hate on it all you want, but it's the future. Might be a ways off (maybe 10-20 years), but in the future there won't be hardware.

If this device is real, I think you can use it for both local ps5 streaming and cloud streaming. There is no reason why Sony would implement only 1 of those options since they’re technically the same except for where the server is located.

Woopah

If this device is real, I think you can use it for both local ps5 streaming and cloud streaming. There is no reason why Sony would implement only 1 of those options since they’re technically the same except for where the server is located.
The reason is that Sony want people to have to buy a PS5 to be able to use it.

I loved the vita and remote play but only as an added feature. I couldn't imagine playing properly with remote play.... There's always a bit of lag, especially noticeable with FPS.

Even with my Xbox and phone I only use it with games like stardew

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Why were people so okay with an Xbox Series Z, but not this?
No idea. I think this is great, but only if you only have a PS5. If you plan to remote play/stream any other platform, you should just get a backbone or something like the Logitech device. I’m really thinking of getting the Logitech, with how much I remote play. I’m just worried about the connection, as I would have to use my phone as a hotspot when at work, instead of just using my phone with a backbone like device.

Today on my lunch break I was playing MLB The Show via xCloud and had zero issues with latency. Power swinging for homers all break, lol.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
So, PS has no games.

Man, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the whole Xbox thing which has been going on for more than 2 years (with many projects still being literally vaporware) 😁
Me being a PS fan you think I don't have thoughts on Xbox productivity.
no-idea-you-have-no-idea.gif

But I call it how it is regardless of Platform, even Playstation.

mckmas8808

You don’t see the difference between a streaming stick for big screen gaming and this rumor?

I’m also not sure many people expected a streaming stick to be a mass market success vs just buying a Series S.

OOOOHHHH my friend, there were plenty lol. The idea was that the streaming stick would be $50 or even free if you bought 2 years worth of GamePass and that could be a way to get people into GP subs.

MAtgS

Jesus, they manged to make it even worse than a cloud-based device. How does Sony fail at handhelds this badly this consistently?

mckmas8808

I use my PS5 remote play all the time. It's pretty sick.

You can hate on it all you want, but it's the future. Might be a ways off (maybe 10-20 years), but in the future there won't be hardware.

Why do you use PS5 remote play? I'm curious how people in the real world are using it nowadays.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Jesus, they manged to make it even worse than a cloud-based device. How does Sony fail at handhelds this badly this consistently?

They became increasingly American. The Vita and PSP were amazing in Japan, but the American heads failed to understand what made these platforms so great and ran them into the ground. Now that Playstation is based in America, we can say goodbye to ever seeing a quality handheld from them again.

mckmas8808

I will never understand you loonies championing for less consumer rights by acting like it is the future. You are what is wrong with this industry.

They are literally wanting less consumer rights. I've had many "GAF fights" about the cloud being our only future. And there's a sad percentage of them that actually want it this way, and do NOT want there to be a choice (like we have today).

I sometimes wonder if they are industry plants.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
I will never understand you loonies championing for less consumer rights by acting like it is the future. You are what is wrong with this industry.
I have mixed feelings myself, but it's more just seeing the writing don't the wall. No use complaining about an inevitability.

All physical media is heading that way.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Why do you use PS5 remote play? I'm curious how people in the real world are using it nowadays.
Not directed at me, but I use it to play my games on my work breaks. I don’t get to game as much as I’d like at home. Or if I’m playing something like MLB The Show, I can easily play that while my wife and I have garbage tv on, like 90 Day Fiancé, Love is Blind or Married at First Sight.

Ozriel

M$FT
OOOOHHHH my friend, there were plenty lol. The idea was that the streaming stick would be $50 or even free if you bought 2 years worth of GamePass and that could be a way to get people into GP subs.

most of the chatter was around $99 or slightly higher with a controller.

There’s no real need for you to try to paint a picture of console warring at work. Streaming only handhelds have never been popular here.

Here’s the thread about the Logitech Cloud gaming handheld. Largely critical

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/xbox...logitech-g-cloud-gaming-handheld-350.1641741/

And the one for Razer’s attempt

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/verizon-teases-a-‘5g-gaming-handheld’-made-by-razer.1642155/

If the rumors about this device are true and it turns out to be for PS5 remote play, then its going to flop hard. Nobody wants a handheld where the contingent of it working or not working is based entirely around your access to quality Internet. The only way this truly works would be to develop a mobile SoC with AMD that allows you to play your PS5/PS4 games on the go.

Baki

Becasue at this point splitting resources between different ecosystems is not the best idea. Games are too expensive and take too long to make.

Sony's problem in Japan is a software one not a hardware one. If they are going to buy studios and ask them to make games appealing to Japan, then the best thing to do would be to put those games on PS5.
Form factor does matter. It’s been over 20 years since a home console has sold over 11m units in Japan. Meanwhile, the only portable console to sell less than 20m units was the PS Vita.

nial

Gold Member
It's funny to me that this thing causes so much anger or confusion, because the concept of a handheld inherently tied to a home console has already been done before, including by Sony. As much as I want a proper Vita successor, this is a niche device not made for most people here, move on.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
They are literally wanting less consumer rights. I've had many "GAF fights" about the cloud being our only future. And there's a sad percentage of them that actually want it this way, and do NOT want there to be a choice (like we have today).

I sometimes wonder if they are industry plants.

I noticed a lot of them were, initially PCMR and Xbox Warriors, but now I am seeing an increasing amount of Sony Warriros jumping into it. Never the people who actually play all consoles - only die hard warriors.

Shows how sad they truly are and where their views truly lie. They don't play games, they just have to defend shitty decisions by their favorite plastic box maker.

K2D

Banned
Say this device is capable of a bit rate of 15Mbps and you play for 30 minutes during work commute for 22 days a month. That'll be about 150 GB per month.

How are data plans in different parts of the world? In my country we pay $8-15(!) for 1 GB pr month, all the way up to "free use" at around $50 pr month of 5G.

"Free use" here however accounted for 600 to 1000 GB though last time someone tested it.

Top Bottom