• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insignia - the Original Xbox Live 1.0 replacement is AWESOME | MVG

8BiTw0LF

Banned

Over the weekend I was invited to test out a closed test of Insignia - the Xbox Live 1.0 replacement for the Original Xbox consoles. In this episode we take a closer look at the service, how well it performs and what to expect when the service launches in the near future! - MVG

clem84

Gold Member
Doesn't this have the potential of being better than the online experience of the original Xbox, with the online infrastructure being significantly better than it was 20 years ago?

Banned
Doesn't this have the potential of being better than the online experience of the original Xbox, with the online infrastructure being significantly better than it was 20 years ago?

not really. I don't think the average ping went lower than back then. and your ping is by far the biggest factor in how good your connection is.

this is still P2P so your connection will always be dependent on how far away the host is from your position.

video games don't need a lot of bandwidth, you can play most games with 60KB/s down/up... I know from experience because that's all I had a few years ago while switching ISPs

my new provider had a free 60KB connection I could use in the few days between my old provider's contract running out and my new provider's starting.

and I had zero issues playing games with such a ridiculously slow connection.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
I spent the afternoon soft-modding my console and then registered said console with Insignia.

My shit is up and running, PSO should be here any day now.

Skifi28

It's always so cool to see efforts like these, but when it comes to actively participating I can't really be bothered so I always end up just cheering from afar. As good as those times were back then, it's quite difficult to go back.

fart town usa

Gold Member
It's always so cool to see efforts like these, but when it comes to actively participating I can't really be bothered so I always end up just cheering from afar. As good as those times were back then, it's quite difficult to go back.
Yea, I just want to be able to play PSO in any capacity and XBOX is definitely the easiest route to go. There's enough people playing to find games throughout the week. Been watching via twitch for a while, gonna be fun to get in on it.

fart town usa

Gold Member
My fellow gaffers, PSO is ballin' outta control with Insignia.

Please shoot me a DM if anyone gets their stuff set up and wants to play some PSO. You can access Insignia on the Series X via the emulation option, or through emulators on a PC. Going the actual OG XBOX route is easy enough too but you'll have to order some pieces of gear (cheap SD card, USB adaptor fox XBOX, and a game that allows you to softmod the console; the first Splinter Cell is cheap and is a game that can access the exploit)

I ordered a cheap wired keyboard from amazon and it works with PSO. You need the bootleg adaptor but it's cheap.

If any of you have any interest in revisiting PSO, I highly recommend it. It's such a blast, the small community is super chill and people are happy to help with leveling up characters.

Last edited:

Drew1440

Just signed up for Insignia the other night and have been playing Unreal Championship ever since. As someone who didn't get an original Xbox until around 2014 (Well after the original Live was shut down) its nice to finally experience the original Xbox Live, even if there a limited amount of games currently supported.
It did take a few hours for me to set up, I had to upgrade my softmod as my modded dashboard (EvolutionX) was blocking the console from connecting and would interfere with the DNS settings that Insignia needs to work, and the newer softmods use some sort of Shadow-C drive that prevents the Microsoft dash from working which is needed to register for an account. Managed to fix it by manually copying the old dashboard files onto the C partition, No idea why the softmod installer doesn't do that as part of the install?

Top Bottom