• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insomniac Celebrating Resistance Anniversary

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Sony’s behavior is so weird sometimes. They are spending billions of dollars to secure multiplayer content while they have 3 great unique experiences just sitting here in Resistance. Also R3 is one of the better FPS campaigns out there and runs like dogshit on PS3.
And killzone 2/3.... seriously.
Imagine Killzone package disc and resistance disc.

Wasnt there resistance chimera collection rumor though ?

Last edited:
Never played these games. Would really like the remasters! are these good?

And WTF is Killzone 2 and 3 remasters gorilla?! cmon !!!!!!!!! 4k60 these games!!!!!!!!
Yes, very good. 1st and 2nd were best. 3rd not so much. Think of it as Ratchet & Clank in terms of crazy cool creative weapons but FPS, aliens with a darker story in alternate world War.

mclaren777

I have been perplexed by this video since 2008. Can anybody explain why the story in R2 never seemed to touch on this narrative?

Starhowl

Trying not to get my hopes up but would love a remastered trilogy package, these games mean a lot to me.

"Join us for Insomniac Live at 12 PM PT / 3PM ET today for an early celebration of Resistance: Fall of Man's 16th anniversary!"

You’re just hoping for a remastered-trilogy? :pie_diana:

resistance fall of man was a great game, especially the multiplayer. people sleep on it. im happy the fans revived the mp recently.

disliked resistance 2 because they changed the overall vibe and gameplay too much. just dont really like the way it was executed. series derailed and lost its identity imo.

resistance 3 ive still yet to play really because i lost interest. played the beta and decided it wasnt worth a purchase.
---

Kagero

This franchise will always be special to me. It’s was my first online multiplayer. So many fond memories. I hope they remaster the series and revive the MP. I want this more than anything TBH.

Sony’s behavior is so weird sometimes. They are spending billions of dollars to secure multiplayer content while they have 3 great unique experiences just sitting here in Resistance. Also R3 is one of the better FPS campaigns out there and runs like dogshit on PS3.

Yall act like they don’t have the numbers to show why they aren’t making another one. You think if resistance was a 10m+ seller we wouldn’t have resistance 6 by now?

Nothing about anything they do is weird or mysterious. If there was money to be made making those games they would be making them. Thats what they’re after. Like most things, when it comes to gaming these places are bubbles, the majority of people who want to play multiplayer/F2P shooty games aren’t yearning for Resistance and killzone revivals.

The current generation spending most of their money on these games dont even know what those franchises are. They are like 15 years old already.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
Yall act like they don’t have the numbers to show why they aren’t making another one. You think if resistance was a 10m+ seller we wouldn’t have resistance 6 by now?

Nothing about anything they do is weird or mysterious. If there was money to be made making those games they would be making them. Thats what they’re after. Like most things, when it comes to gaming these places are bubbles, the majority of people who want to play multiplayer/F2P shooty games aren’t yearning for Resistance and killzone revivals.

The current generation spending most of their money on these games dont even know what those franchises are. They are like 15 years old already.
How about giving them a chances for resurection

I mean gow 3 only made 5 m copy its nothing compared to the new gow games

Gaming landscape are different now than back then

Any ps fans would love to see a new resistance game

If sony keep shutting down every ip then theres gona be less firt party game in the future

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member

Yea sorry it is mysterious in a world where Sony funded Destruction All Stars. a big part of generating these multiplayer experiences is just throwing stuff out there and seeing what hits. The interesting thing about Resistance is that the 3 games had 3 very different multiplayer modes. Pair it up with the unique weapons and all that and why not.

Last edited:
Yea sorry it is mysterious in a world where Sony funded Destruction All Stars. a big part of generating these multiplayer experiences is just throwing stuff out there and seeing what hits. The interesting thing about Resistance is that the 3 games had 3 very different multiplayer modes. Pair it up with the unique weapons and all that and why not.

Those games got multiple chances to ‘stick’ and they didn’t. What makes you think Insomniac or Guerrilla even want to go back to those franchises after finding success with new stuff, what makes you think any studio wants to revive dead ip instead of making new stuff?

How do you know sony dont have far more interesting stuff in development?

And God of War actually did pretty well sales wise, 5m for those games wasn’t that bad back then. Not only that but GoW always had prestige, every game in the mainline series is rated over 90 on MC. They always reviewed well and were always one of the better IP’s playstation had

Destruction All Stars was an epic failure and I’m sure Sony won’t fund 3 more of them

Last edited:

Apocryphon

And killzone 2/3.... seriously.
Imagine Killzone package disc and resistance disc.

Wasnt there resistance chimera collection rumor though ?
Killzone 2 specifically is one of my favourite console shooters. Clunky controls sure, but visually stunning, dripping with atmosphere, and very satisfying gunplay. The multiplayer was a blast too. Great fucking game!

Airbus Jr

Banned
Those games got multiple chances to ‘stick’ and they didn’t. What makes you think Insomniac or Guerrilla even want to go back to those franchises after finding success with new stuff, what makes you think any studio wants to revive dead ip instead of making new stuff?

And God of War actually did pretty well sales wise, 5m for those games wasn’t that bad back then. Not only that but GoW always had prestige, every game in the mainline series is rated over 90 on MC. They always reviewed well and were always one of the better IP’s playstation had
Sorry but what new stuff coming on PS5 in 2023 aside from spiderman 2?

Kagero

You’re right but I think that spiderman money has afforded them a bit of good will from Sony. Plus, if they make it balls out amazing what’s not to say these games can’t reach a new audience? #teamhappening

diffusionx

Gold Member

Resistance 1-2 actually were popular in multiplayer on PS3 for years. Resistance 3 didn’t sell well, but it was a late era game that ran very poorly on the hardware and probably deserves another chance. Considering how hard it is to develop new IP, it makes sense to go to the back catalog and it’s something Sony has done in the past. I know people are talking about Killzone here in this thread too, I am personally indifferent but do think Resistance has potential (as does Infamous considering the continued and baffling popularity of capeshit).

If they have these super interesting games they should consider announcing them instead of just doing boring retreads of TLOU and Horizon over and over.

Last edited:
Resistance 1-2 actually were popular in multiplayer on PS3 for years. Resistance 3 didn’t sell well, but it was a late era game that ran very poorly on the hardware and probably deserves another chance. Considering how hard it is to develop new IP, it makes sense to go to the back catalog and it’s something Sony has done in the past. If they have these super interesting games they should consider announcing them instead of just doing boring retreads of TLOU and Horizon over and over.

Two game series that have two highly successful games, not 3-4 middling to bad games.

With all the whining I’ve seen about sequels, including this paragraph ^ you would think people would rather Sony make new IP rather than digging their dead ones out of the IP graveyard for the small percentage of people that have nostalgia for them.

Like i said, horizon and TLOU get attention becuase they’re good games that make money. Guerrilla was in a tough spot after killzone shadowfall bombed, horizon is their golden goose.

Last edited:
What i mean is that you seems ok at killing more and more ip when we dont have plenty games in the future

Those IP can’t be killed, they’re already dead.

And last i checked sony didn’t stop making games after Ragnarok, games are being made, just not killzone and resistance.

Last edited:
To add some more thoughts as to why this series is so special to me. I had moved to Japan and got my PS3 at launch, Resistance was my first game. Seeing those HD visuals (720P!) on my then modest Sony Bravia TV is something I will never forget, felt like such a generational leap from the PS2. Then there was the glorious multiplayer (circle strafe motherfucker, if you know you know!) Being a lifelong console gamer going back to the Atari 2600, it was my first *real* experience with competitive MP and it was a ton of fun.

Part of what makes Resistance so special are it's weapons, each of which have a unique alt-fire mode/function. That might be more commonplace nowadays but I can't recall any shooters doing it before this (at least not to this degree though I could be wrong), the Bullseye - which allowed you to tag enemies and then shoot over/around obstacles - was so fucking cool.

Two years later Resistance 2 came out and boy did I spend a lot of time with this one! Besides a lengthy campaign we got 40 player multiplayer battles, unheard of on consoles at the time. In addition we got a co-op mode that was it's own campaign, featured character leveling and persistent unlocks, I found it addicting and had a blast. Talk about value for money, 3 fully fleshed out game modes and all 3 were compelling. Call of Duty WaW released the same year and was the first CoD to do a similar thing when it introduced zombies in addition to the standard mp and campaign.

Resistance 3 is my least favourite though many would have it as their best in the series. I simply didn't find the storyline engaging (despite being a parent myself) and felt that some of that intangible "fun" was missing from the formula. I also remember it being a much shorter campaign, less ambitious in it's scope.

Anyway, let's see what the day brings. Would obviously love a new entry but that's not happening so give me a solid remastered trilogy in a single package and I'll be a happy man.

Last edited:
Top Bottom