• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insomniac confirms Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 swings to PS5 in fall 2023.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Sadly I think Jim Lyin has unlocked the mystery in promoting Playstation. Just DON'T talk about it, until you are 60 days out from release. And then drop $50 million worth of ads in the final 60 days.
Not that I am a huge fan of Jim, but look at it from the other side, what’s the point of dropping info on Spiderman 2 right now?

So 5 year dev time, next gen exclusivity and we should expect DLC? Same city? Same visuals? Same gameplay?

I really dont understand why gamers have such low standards now. Just a few years ago we used to trash critics for doing that.
Man you’re just mad because the best video game studio in the world in the year 2022 is making a comic book character game. Stop hating

yes.

matter of fact. Factions 2, if it is what I think it is. Could offer us the best large scale battles in gaming yet.

Now do it in single player - I need it to look next gen too
right... so, the type of seriousness & true horror that makes for thrillingly visceral, enjoyable gameplay? alright, then...

sendit

uPTCoI4.jpg

Currently redownloading the game on PC. How do you access this secret event? I would like to get the same achievement.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Sony's content pipeline is pretty damn impressive. Been getting at least 1 GOTY candidate every year, 2 every year since 2018

2015: Bloodborne
2016: Uncharted 4
2017: Horizon
2018: GOW, Spiderman
2019: Death Stranding, Days Gone
2020: TLOU2, Ghost of Tsushima
2021: R&C, Returnal
2022: Horizon, GOW:R
2023: Spiderman 2, ????

also ya'll know that SlimySnake is just an internet KAREN. His entire job is to just whine about everything.
Ah yes. Gotta love this timeline where asking for next Gen games in year 3 is considered being a karen.

Swift_Star

Banned
Prepare????

An announcement to prepare without a date?

Sony following Phil and Aaron’s lead?

Good to have it confirmed but everyone wants to see the damn game in action
We’ve been through this with god of war Ragnarok and HFW. They’re not going to do a long hype cycle like some companies do, they’ll show the game when they’re read and probably close to three months to launch date.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
right... so, the type of seriousness & true horror that makes for thrillingly visceral, enjoyable gameplay? alright, then...
Uhh...yes. Do you think a true sense of horror and being visceral takes away from gameplay or something....

Because thats a weird take

ProtoByte

We’ve been through this with god of war Ragnarok and HFW. They’re not going to do a long hype cycle like some companies do, they’ll show the game when they’re read and probably close to three months to launch date.
Not quite. Remember, Horizon had quite the gameplay showcase in May 2021.

At this point, it's quite clear that PlayStation was holding back this entire year because of the acquisition shit.

danklord

Gold Member
Not quite. Remember, Horizon had quite the gameplay showcase in May 2021.

At this point, it's quite clear that PlayStation was holding back this entire year because of the acquisition shit.

I believe they shifted their strategies since 2021. Based on sales, GOW Ragnarok is a good indicator of marketing cadence going forward.

Last edited:
well yeah. Did anyone really believe that after shipping games in 2022, SSM, GG, PD and ND would turn around and ship brand new games in 2023?

2024 is probably not looking too hot either. If they had any games other than Wolverine and Death Stranding 2 that are 2 years away, they wouldve been announced by now.

It's possible they release a remake like TLOU Part one to fill in the gap. We know Horizon MP and Remaster are in dev so that could be their fill in game next year. MGS remake could be on the cards for a quick reveal and release like TLOU but a full game reveal and release? Doubtful after Sony revealed Spiderman 2, Wolverine, Horizon, GOW, GT7 and DS2 a good 2+ year before their eventual release.

Quite frankly, Im surprised we havent seen any of their fancy GaaS games. Maybe they are all in development hell. Making CoD and Fortnite killer isnt easy and they were expecting 10 of those 12 games to fail anyway. Shouldve just invested in single player games they are good at instead. If Spiderman 2 does indeed come out in fall 2023, they wouldve gone 2.5 years since Ratchet in June 2021 without a true next gen game. Absolutely insane. How herman still has a job as Sony first party head is beyond me. Shit tier first party studio management.
Watch the pro model be taking up all the attention for 2024

TThe
Here's the thing though: what's being asked for aren't crazy advancements. Destruction isn't new. High NPC counts aren't new. Physics aren't new.
Half of that stuff was pretty prevalent in the 7th gen games. There, the problem was memory, GPU bottlenecks and "incorrect" rendering techniques. With the 8th gen, it was the awful Jaguar CPUs.

Neither of those are problems this time, and we have damn fast SSDs to boot.

Okay, since you've brought Xbox into this for coping purposes, let's address this.

You're waiting just as long. But you've been waiting for games that didn't and don't even stack up to last gen potential. Let's not pretend like Microsoft and Sony's ability to actually make games is equal here.
The cpus are still underspecced so no

I hope this game improves on the first. I didn't love it outside of the traversal. Dial down on some of the icons and pointless side activity and add more substantial side quest. Make the ground more immersive and make the neighborhoods different...as a NY the whole city felt like a quasi middle class region. there was no character to the actual city, miles semi made the right steps but only in his area.

Uhh...yes. Do you think a true sense of horror and being visceral takes away from gameplay or something....

Because thats a weird take
you're talking about the seriousness & true horror of actual real world warfare, presented in video game form? as something to enjoy engaging in? while that in itself might not culturally be a weird take at this point, yeah, it is indeed too weird for me...

i can relate to fantasy violence, game violence. i can't relate to war games actively attempting to portray real world levels of violence. unless, of course, the games simply end once your character's killed. because you can't have a game featuring 'realistic' seriousness & true horror without also including 'realistic' consequences, now can you? how can a game possibly be 'realistic' if every time you die, you come back to life? all you're really left with at that point is yet another hyper-graphically-intensive illusion...

Punished Miku

Gold Member
This quote will live for a really long time. In fact, I want to make the OT for Spider-Man 2023.
Whatever makes you happy dude lol. If you read all my comments I didnt think I was trying to be malicious or arrogant. I said I would be happy to be wrong. I said I am just guessing. I hope you all love the game.

I explained how I'm a little skeptical that it's going to be a massive reinvention, and will likely be pretty similar to the last one. I guess I am mostly talking about the character models in close up. I honestly couldn't tell you if they were from Spider Man 1 on PS5 or Spider Man 2. I forgot about the smoke in the background. If that gets you super excited than more power to you man. I hope its awesome and I come away excited after we see more.

Last edited:
Whatever makes you happy dude lol. If you read all my comments I didnt think I was trying to be malicious or arrogant. I said I would be happy to be wrong. I said I am just guessing. I hope you all love the game.

I explained how I'm a little skeptical that it's going to be a massive reinvention, and will likely be pretty similar to the last one. I guess I am mostly talking about the character models in close up. I honestly couldn't tell you if they were from Spider Man 1 on PS5 or Spider Man 2. I forgot about the smoke in the background. If that gets you super excited than more power to you man. I hope its awesome and I come away excited after we see more.

Sleep Yawn GIF

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
So it's going to end up taking them just about exactly five years to have developed this sequel. Hoping it's a significant upgrade, which will be no small feat.

Kagey K

Banned
you could easily program an AI to make the responses to these threads at this point
Don't even need an AI it's basic to program you.

10 is it about Sony
20 if y go to 30 if n go to 60
30 is it positive go to 40 if negative go to 60
40 Sony rules

60 Xbox bad.

Obviously not full code, but a good base to base all expected responses on.

That was more efgort than i should have wasted

Last edited:

The thing we don't know is how indicative that preview trailer will be to gameplay.

If they deliver that quality in gameplay, yes it will be a MASSIVE improvement, but some like myself are skeptical because it's a cinematic trailer and I can't imagine an open world having that left of fidelity, but I certainly hope I'm wrong.

I'm keeping my expectations in check. But this game doesn't need to have all the stuff SlimySnake SlimySnake nitpicks for me to consider it an awesome game. Would I like destruction, better AI, massive interiors of buildings, etc? Sure, but to be honest a lot of that stuff has little impact on the gameplay and is mostly visual.

This game looks nearly indistinguishable from Spider Man 1 and it's coming out fast. I think you should temper your expectations, regardless of next-gen exclusivity. This is going to build off the previous game pretty closely. What you're hoping for is not going to apply to this game and you'll be let down.

Exactly.

What do yoy mean its coming out fast?

I'm sure it won't be broken at launch or anything since Insomniac are pretty good with the tech side of things. The game will probably be fine.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Again - what’s the point? Why do you feel the need for a showcase for a game that isn’t coming out for ~10 months? I just don’t see the point.

For the same reason, we saw God of War: Ragnarock years in advance. And then we got an updated look at it. To get me HYPED!!!

ProtoByte

I literally said I don't care. From that statement you managed to twist that into I care SO MUCH that I'm coping.

This is your brain on console wars:

fried-egg-help-us.gif
But you clearly do care. You brought it up in a thread that has nothing to do with Microsoft.

The thing is that you should care about what type of games you're getting; especially when all of the values in your equation are the same, other than the number and the quality of games.

I'm hoping for a big increase in speed with the swinging. The hardware should allow them to do it now. Imagine you just keep gathering momentum and going faster and faster.

well yeah. Did anyone really believe that after shipping games in 2022, SSM, GG, PD and ND would turn around and ship brand new games in 2023?

2024 is probably not looking too hot either. If they had any games other than Wolverine and Death Stranding 2 that are 2 years away, they wouldve been announced by now.

It's possible they release a remake like TLOU Part one to fill in the gap. We know Horizon MP and Remaster are in dev so that could be their fill in game next year. MGS remake could be on the cards for a quick reveal and release like TLOU but a full game reveal and release? Doubtful after Sony revealed Spiderman 2, Wolverine, Horizon, GOW, GT7 and DS2 a good 2+ year before their eventual release.

Quite frankly, Im surprised we havent seen any of their fancy GaaS games. Maybe they are all in development hell. Making CoD and Fortnite killer isnt easy and they were expecting 10 of those 12 games to fail anyway. Shouldve just invested in single player games they are good at instead. If Spiderman 2 does indeed come out in fall 2023, they wouldve gone 2.5 years since Ratchet in June 2021 without a true next gen game. Absolutely insane. How herman still has a job as Sony first party head is beyond me. Shit tier first party studio management.
Billy Madison Shut Up GIF

Lupin25

Show dont tell. Show the damn game if you are about to release it in 10 months.

No one is buying their empty promises after they delayed GOW, Horizon, and GT7 by a year.

Those games are precisely why Sony hasn’t shown off Spider-Man 2. 😂

You just mentioned not one, but 3 tentpole franchises all released in one year lol.

Of course, they’d wait until after the hype has died down and the XMas GOW bundles have sold, to begin marketing their most anticipated next-gen only exclusive yet.

And those games may have been delayed by those devs, but Insomniac’s have not throughout the last 3 years. Efficient, despite the outside circumstances.

They’ve been one of the only dev seemingly unaffected in terms of productiveness over the past 2-3 years.

Astro’s Playroom, Returnal, HFW, were all a “taste” of NG to me. Spider-Man 2 shouldn’t be constrained in anyway in terms of game design, mechanics, length, etc. Let’s give Insomniac the benefit of the doubt only developing for the PS5 now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom