• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insomniac confirms Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 swings to PS5 in fall 2023.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
How is it an underwhelming lineup?
You think just Spiderman 2 is a good lineup?

We are going by their official blogpost where they literally chose not to list any other first party games. What is not underwhelming about this?

We are taking about Sony first party here making PS5 games in its third year. And they are showing up with one game. If that isnt underwhelming then I am living in bizarro world.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
mansoor1980 mansoor1980 whatever this game is it's for you buddy.
i can tell it is a superhero game.....................ahem

200w.gif

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
But even before all FTC stuff with the MS-Activision deal, Jim Ryan was killing all types of shows that Playstation used to have. He just hates promoting Playstation. Remember how PSVR2 and the new PS5 controller were shown to the world for the first time?
They promote it, there just isn't the old single show way of spectacle. Anytime Sony makes an announcement, it lights the social media engagement into the stratosphere. The methods have changed, but they're getting the same engagement and results on that front.

Last edited:

Corndog

Banned
I think everyone should be salty as time passes. We are officially in the third year of this gen, discussing their underwhelming line up for the third year of their new console and you expect me to be less salty? why?
It’s been a weak generation especially from Xbox. Hopefully both consoles will get a lot more games in the next few years.

SlimySnake

I'm not saying you're wrong. But I do think there's an elephant in the room right now. As funny as the jokes were, I highly doubt MS didn't show anything off at the awards because they had nothing to show. And I strongly suspect both companies are going to be toeing the line when showing games off right now. So while the history of delayed games is worth taking into account, we shouldn't assume the worst when both companies have reason to be quiet right now.
If the Activision deal was their concern they wouldnt have made this blogpost confirming Spiderman 2's release date and marketed not one but two moneyhats by Square Enix. A week after revealing Death Stranding 2. Not a moneyhat but a a first party game made by a prominent third party studio.

If anything, Just like with covid last year, these guys are all using this activision excuse to hide the fact that these games are all in development hell.

You think just Spiderman 2 is a good lineup?

We are going by their official blogpost where they literally chose not to list any other first party games. What is not underwhelming about this?

We are taking about Sony first party here making PS5 games in its third year. And they are showing up with one game. If that isnt underwhelming then I am living in bizarro world.

PSVR2, Spider-Man 2, Factions and FF16 is a solid exclusive lineup. Definitely not underwhelming and we will likely have surprise announcements

Last edited:

tmlDan

What does this list of third party games have to do with my post about Sony first party?

Im happy you are a fan of third party output. Im a sony fan with specific tastes third party cant offer me.
My point is, Sony does a great job scheduling their games - notice how they release games where there are dead spots in the year (most of the time) They legit don't need a game in the first 6 months of the year.

Also, they're releasing a first party PS5 only game next year (Spiderman 2) and Factions (likely) on PC and PS5 (again likely) also a console exclusive FF16 - those are huge releases, they have released multiple first party games yearly.

I'd say that's impeccable management given how long games take to make.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

PSVR2, Spider-Man 2, and FF16 is a solid exclusive lineup. Definitely not underwhelming and we will likely have surprise announcements
Meh. I am not spending another $550 just to play one solid VR game in Horizon. But i supposed having 3 games if you are planning on buying VR and are ok with a last gen looking FF16 is better than having to look forward to just one true next gen game from Sony next year.

Meh. I am not spending another $550 just to play one solid VR game in Horizon. But i supposed having 3 games if you are planning on buying VR and are ok with a last gen looking FF16 is better than having to look forward to just one true next gen game from Sony next year.

I mean I don’t give a fuck if FF16 looks last Gen if it’s an amazing game which based on the latest trailer is looking likely

I haven’t been excited for a new mainline FF game in like two decades

Again it’s all about visuals for you. I’m talking about games

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
They promote it, there just isn't the old single show way of spectacle. Anytime Sony makes an announcement, it lights the social media engagement into the stratosphere. The methods have changed, but they're getting the same engagement and results on that front.

Maybe from the casuals, but not the hardcore. If Sony brought back PS Experience, the engagement would be waaaaay higher. Would it cost them money? Yes. But that's the problem with penny-pitching Jim. He's a bean counter first and foremost and not a gamer at all.

Look at what Insomniac has to do here to "promote" freaking Spiderman 2 for god's sake. It's pathetic. It's sad bro. They should have to "remind" us that one of the biggest games of 2023 is still coming.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Maybe from the casuals, but not the hardcore. If Sony brought back PS Experience, the engagement would be waaaaay higher. Would it cost them money? Yes. But that's the problem with penny-pitching Jim. He's a bean counter first and foremost and not a gamer at all.

Look at what Insomniac has to do here to "promote" freaking Spiderman 2 for god's sake. It's pathetic. It's sad bro. They should have to "remind" us that one of the biggest games of 2023 is still coming.
I don't think so. We still get all of our information on here, we are still all talking about it, and we still all buy everything when it releases. We are just salty because we don't have our 2 hour shows that most don't want to sit through anymore.

mckmas8808

I don't think so. We still get all of our information on here, we are still all talking about it, and we still all buy everything when it releases. We are just salty because we don't have our 2 hour shows that most don't want to sit through anymore.

Speak for yourself. GAF lights up with a good Games show is on. Question for you.....do you watch these shows live? If so, I'd request that you watch them when the 4K recorded version gets uploaded like me, and skip the parts that get slow.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Speak for yourself. GAF lights up with a good Games show is on. Question for you.....do you watch these shows live? If so, I'd request that you watch them when the 4K recorded version gets uploaded like me, and skip the parts that get slow.
Gaf is hardcore. Most people are casual. We still buy the games at the end of the day, the casual engagement and how they market to them has been working.

Last edited:

Thief1987

I remember the same crying about Ragnarok's promotion, and look how it turned out. Maybe, just maybe, Jimbo knows what he is doing at the end of the day

Last edited:
Including a $550 peripheral and a free-to-play expansion to a 3-year-old game does not create the banger list you are making it out to be.

I’m including the sequel to a 30M seller

A new innovative platform which is pushing the industry forward with new experiences

A compelling multiplayer expansion to one of the most beloved franchises in gaming

A new mid line entry into the biggest JRPG franchise

If I really wanted to list an underwhelming games lineup I could look at what your avatar has delivered for the past decade

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
The less they're able to show of Spider Man 2, the better at this point. My fear is that it'll be way too similar to the past game. I couldn't even finish Miles Morales after getting the platinum on the first game. Just too similar for me, too soon.

If the game isn't ready to be shown, maybe they're actually being ambitious with it. If the game is 2024, even better. I'm not really waiting up at night to play the same game I already played next year (especially since it's so similar to Arkham).

Hoping Wolverine is also substantially different. Insomniac has great output for sure, but they are partially able to pull off these schedules because Miles Morales is so similar to the last game, and Ratchet is so similar to the 2016 one. The faster these things come out, the more similar they will be.

I’m including the sequel to a 30M seller

A new innovative platform which is pushing the industry forward with new experiences

A compelling multiplayer expansion to one of the most beloved franchises in gaming

A new mid line entry into the biggest JRPG franchise

If I really wanted to list an underwhelming games lineup I could look at what your avatar has delivered for the past decade
My avatar is an inanimate JPEG image. You on the other hand are real and do this cheerleading act for free.

mckmas8808

Gaf is hardcore. Most people are casual. We still buy the games at the end of the day, the casual engagement and how they market to them has been working.

Weirdly enough, that's the thing that makes me the most upset. That fact that it's working! I kinda wanted his way was advertising to fail, but it's working too well at this point for them to change back. :(

Both God of War and Gran Turismo 7 were advertised as 2021 games when they were first shown, so I don't put much weight on a 2023 date for SpiderMan 2.
Insomniac delivered Miles Morales and Ratchet 6 months apart...imagine doubting this studio:

Marvel's Spider-Man - September 2018
DLC1 - October 2018
DLC2 - November 2018
DLC3 - December 2018
Spider-Man GOTY Edition - August 2019
Stormland - November 2019 (VR game for Oculus Rift)
Spider-Man Remastered for PS5 - November 2020
Miles Morales - November 2020
Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart - June 2021

This same studio did over a year of Ratchet right when Covid started and they had to work from home...and delivered not one, but 2 projects right when PS5 released when everyone was delaying games left and right.

Unless something terrible happens, if they say they will release Spider-Man 2 during the fall...i think they will do it.

This isn't a studio that announces a game and spends 5 years MIA. They are always doing stuff.

nial

Gold Member
Their first-party games next year are Spider-Man 2, Stellar Blade, Firewall Ultra, Horizon VR and Burning Shores, Destiny 2 Lightfall, Convallaria, MLB 2023 and Helldivers 2 (all but confirmed).
Quite a bloated list, but some nice games here and there, and if we're lucky, we'll also get Death Stranding 2 and Factions. Team Asobi and Pixelopus will likely release their stuff next year, so those would be good additions. But yeah, I'm sure it won't be as popular as their 2022 lineup which was 100% AAA-focused.

My avatar is an inanimate JPEG image. You on the other hand are real and do this cheerleading act for free.

That’s funny. A green rat coming into a PlayStation thread to downplay the lineup

I’m not even claiming it’s the best year ever or anything, I’m just saying it’s another great year with big solid exclusives and unique experiences to play and certainly not underwhelming

Who is the cheerleader again?

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
That’s funny. A green rat coming into a PlayStation thread to downplay the lineup

I’m not even claiming it’s the best year ever or anything, I’m just saying it’s another great year with big solid exclusives and unique experiences to play and certainly not underwhelming

Who is the cheerleader again?
You kind of invited the animosity in post #2 of this thread dude. Everyone has shitposts from time to time so no biggie.

mckmas8808

Their first-party games next year are Spider-Man 2, Stellar Blade, Firewall Ultra, Horizon VR and Burning Shores, Destiny 2 Lightfall, Convallaria, MLB 2023 and Helldivers 2 (all but confirmed).
Quite a bloated list, but some nice games here and there, and if we're lucky, we'll also get Death Stranding 2 and Factions. Team Asobi and Pixelopus will likely release their stuff next year, so those would be good additions. But yeah, I'm sure it won't be as popular as their 2022 lineup which was 100% AAA-focused.

Was that Destiny 2 Lightfall trailer what the game will actually look like? Or what that CGI?

SlimySnake

I mean I don’t give a fuck if FF16 looks last Gen if it’s an amazing game which based on the latest trailer is looking likely

I haven’t been excited for a new mainline FF game in like two decades

Again it’s all about visuals for you. I’m talking about games
Who said anything about visuals? Surely after playing HFW and GOW Ragnorak's underwhelming finales you would agree with me that the PS4 hardware held back the scope of both games beyond just visuals.

FF16 might not be held back by the PS4 on paper, but it looks just as dated. and by looks i dont just mean graphics. I can promise you that it will feel like a dated, safe, formulaic last gen game.

I am just tired of playing games that feel like they were designed in 2005. I expect Sony to lead the charge into next gen but even their third party exclusives like Deathloop, Forspoken, Ghostwire tokyo and FF16 just feel like souped up last gen games at best. Not something i can get too excited about. I know for a fact that they will underwhelm just like I predicted HFW and GOW would underwhelm over a year ago. Time proved me right with those two games. Time will prove me right with FF16.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

You, crying about no next gen games for three years or whatever
again, not visuals. gameplay. we just talked about AI and SSD and increasing the scope of connecting the world in death stranding 2. All gameplay. Visuals are just an easy indicator to show whether or not devs put in any effort into the game to take advantage of the raw horsepower. if they cant be bothered with updating graphics to next gen standards, you think they will bother innovating in the gameplay space? Creating new physics and destruction systems? new NPC simulations? thats a lot more work.

TLOU part 1 looks like a last gen game and plays like a last gen game because its a low effort game like deathloop, ghostwire, forspoken and all the other next gen only games third parties have released so far. I knew it because i saw the visuals not being on par with Matrix and I called that the gameplay wouldnt be either. You all were like having last gen visuals doesnt mean they wont innovate in gameplay. Well, they didnt. If anything, they took half the things that made TLOU2 so great. Again, time proved me right.

HTK

Banned
1) Not like they will be rebuilding New York City all over again
2) Miles Morales expansion already gave them the PS5 improvements and what they can push/improve upon
3) Mission Building and Story Telling is probably majority of the new dev work
4) Iterate on everything that already exists

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
again, not visuals. gameplay. we just talked about AI and SSD and increasing the scope of connecting the world in death stranding 2. All gameplay. Visuals are just an easy indicator to show whether or not devs put in any effort into the game to take advantage of the raw horsepower. if they cant be bothered with updating graphics to next gen standards, you think they will bother innovating in the gameplay space? Creating new physics and destruction systems? new NPC simulations? thats a lot more work.

TLOU part 1 looks like a last gen game and plays like a last gen game because its a low effort game like deathloop, ghostwire, forspoken and all the other next gen only games third parties have released so far. I knew it because i saw the visuals not being on par with Matrix and I called that the gameplay wouldnt be either. You all were like having last gen visuals doesnt mean they wont innovate in gameplay. Well, they didnt. If anything, they took half the things that made TLOU2 so great. Again, time proved me right.
This game looks nearly indistinguishable from Spider Man 1 and it's coming out fast. I think you should temper your expectations, regardless of next-gen exclusivity. This is going to build off the previous game pretty closely. What you're hoping for is not going to apply to this game and you'll be let down.
1) Not like they will be rebuilding New York City all over again
2) Miles Morales expansion already gave them the PS5 improvements and what they can push/improve upon
3) Mission Building and Story Telling is probably majority of the new dev work
4) Iterate on everything that already exists
Exactly.

Last edited:
I hope the fixed the swinging; that brief pause right before the dive ends and swinging begins was very jarring. They should really implement some physics to make swinging more fun.

I knew it because i saw the visuals not being on par with Matrix and I called that the gameplay wouldnt be either.

The matrix demo has gameplay now? What

If you care about next gen gameplay we probably aren’t getting anything but subtle changes

If you want something new you’ll need to try experimental stuff in VR

SlimySnake

This game looks nearly indistinguishable from Spider Man 1 and it's coming out fast. I think you should temper your expectations, regardless of next-gen exclusivity. This is going to build off the previous game pretty closely. What you're hoping for is not going to apply to this game and you'll be let down.

Exactly.
So 5 year dev time, next gen exclusivity and we should expect DLC? Same city? Same visuals? Same gameplay?

I really dont understand why gamers have such low standards now. Just a few years ago we used to trash critics for doing that.

Top Bottom