• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insomniac confirms Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart is PS5 exclusive (not cross-gen).

Will you be getting Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart Day One?

• Total voters

dano1

A Sheep
Any gam
the realm switching all but confirmed this imo. the real question is whether or not Gran Turismo 7, Demon Souls and GoW are also cross gen. GT7 looked very cross gen, Demon Souls can easily be downported to the PS4 and Sony isnt confirming that GoW is a PS5 exclusive.

Any game can be downported if you really want to do it. Same with R&C But it will look like dog shit.

CamHostage

Any game can be downported if you really want to do it. Same with R&C But it will look like dog shit.

Right, they could do a version of Rift Apart if they really wanted to do some ugly replacements.

Like the Rift tripping sequence where he's failing between levels, that could be simulated with maybe a video loop and some limited gameplay elements like rails and enemy characters. (So far, Rifts have only been shown as short-time connections linked with mostly forced-scrolling elements like the Grindboots rails or the creatures Ratchet rides, then he gets dumped into a locked-in battle encounter on the ship, and only certain elements of all of that need to be interactive to preserve a version of the illusion/gameplay, assuming rifts never get deeper than that.) And the yellow in-level Rifts are reusing the nearby level elements, so could be doable too if you limit where Rifts come/go and maybe have some tunnel-loading to make sure you have the exact two points needed in memory by the time the character comes across those triggers. (Titanfall 2 had these "rift" jumps.) And the amazing level of detail and the crazy number of particles and bolts and layers of graphic effects to make things look CGI, that all could be hacked down if not scaled in assets included in the port. Anything could be demade, if you want it bad enough and are willing to suffer the difference envy...

It just gets a little silly in this case to try. At some point, though, until the PS4's software market dries up, Sony will be taking a look at the consumer demand for titles and picking projects to somehow get out to that base. I don't think we'll get many exclusive "little sibling" games like we did on past-gen versions (partly those were fueled by the existence of PSP and sometimes Vita, so I don't see how we'd get the equivalent of like Motorstorm Artic Storm or Jak&Daxter Lost Frontier while PS5 dives into the deep end.) But a lot of PS5 midrange titles, or maybe some of the big titles that could go back into redevelopment post-release (maybe with a porting studio) for a lesser version. Heck, we're already getting games like Spider-Man MM and somehow Horizon FW ported over (the latter of which I'm a little concerned about; Spidey was always sort of a juiced-up PS4 engine/assets project, but Horizon is a full sequel with an improved Decima engine and so we'll have to see how Guerrila handles the versions and if things like rumored flying mounts can be done in either/both projects.) Don't be surprised if it happens; just demand that your next-gen version is the best it can be.

(*And all of the porting effort wouldn't "hold back" the next-gen version. It always depends on your engine/tech methods and your multiplatform approach and your manpower/management/budget structure, but ultimately any downport is the downport team's problem, and it just depends on the priority of that product on the market, or the needs of cross-version online compatibility, as to whether the downporters make the high-spec version contend with those problems.)

Last edited:

GymWolf

I don't know if i'm gonna get ratchet at day one, depends on what other games launch in the same period.

I'm surely gonna buy it sooner or later tho.

Last edited:

Isa

Gold Member
Fuck you I did it anyway. Let this be a lesson to people who think retailers putting up black boxes means the games are real.

Pre-order available now, by the way.

RZLQvKZ.png
Incredible. I'd love to see Miles swingin' around with his sacknuts flailing about on the cover, and its gotta be rated D. For Everybody.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Any gam

cant downport ratchet because the level switching.

easy to downport demon souls because its literally a port of demon souls with prettier graphics. if its anything like SOTC remake, they are likely running the same code under the game. all they have to do is turn down the effects and you can easily have bloodborne quality graphics.

Isa

Gold Member
I'm so down day 1. I've been a Yuuuge fan since the first game, the PS2 titles were amazing. Tools of Destruction sold me on the PS3(so did Uncharted), and A Crack in Time is my favorite. I love the color, humor, action, exploration and of course destruction and weapons. Each game is an adventure, with plenty of nods to great sci-fi and comedy greats. This new one just ups the ante, and each game has kind of been that generational Pixar-bar of comparison. Which is quite the accomplishment and achievement. I just hope they retain the humor.

I wish ND would have maintained the course of Jak and even Uncharted, I'd love to see what they could do with their talent in more lighthearted and fantastical games. Still though one of my favorite brain overloads of satisfaction is decimating an area of baddies and hearing + seeing all the bolts fly out and then to me. God its so, almost archic in design but so damn satisfying. Like clearing a map of red in a Musou game.

CamHostage

easy to downport demon souls because its literally a port of demon souls with prettier graphics. if its anything like SOTC remake, they are likely running the same code under the game. all they have to do is turn down the effects and you can easily have bloodborne quality graphics.

No, they're not "running the same code under the game," as if it were just a PS3 game with UDH graphics and filters glued on top of the old game.

What Bluepoint does is they run two concurrent engines (the Bluepoint Engine and a version of the original engine) simultaneously/synched, and each engine is responsible for portions of the outputted game. Ultimately, it's the main engine doing most of the work (the art, the sound, the performance) and then that engine is checking in or deferring to the old engine to keep things working accurate to original expectations.

You can hear Bluepoint talk about their "remaster" technology when they talk about the Shadow of the Colossus remake in a DigitalFoundary interview.

Last edited:

Pimpbaa

I kinda wish they had just made Spider-Man 2 instead of Miles Morales and this. Maybe could have had it somewhat close to the launch of the PS5.

iHaunter

I kinda wish they had just made Spider-Man 2 instead of Miles Morales and this. Maybe could have had it somewhat close to the launch of the PS5.
They're working on Spider-Man 2 already, that's kinda obvious. Probably a small team doing Miles.

Pimpbaa

They're working on Spider-Man 2 already, that's kinda obvious. Probably a small team doing Miles.

At the very early stage of development at most, considering that this R&C game probably has most of their dev team crunching hard to get it out (that sounded dirty somehow). We are going to be at least half-way through next gen by the time it comes out.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Ratchet & Clank is one of the best series! Very excited for Rift Apart. Will likely pick it on day one (after going patient on Miles Morales and Demon's Souls).

Fuck you I did it anyway. Let this be a lesson to people who think retailers putting up black boxes means the games are real.

Pre-order available now, by the way.

RZLQvKZ.png

Thank you for brightening up my day.

Now could you further avoid doing your work so you can can add more to the design? :p

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

True. Miles Morales was led by Bryan Horton's team. Spider-Man 1 was developed by Brian Intihar's team (who is likely working on Spider-Man 2, since R&C is being made by Marcus Smith).

Horton also mentioned a couple of times that Intihar helped him with Miles Morales with story elements, gameplay ideas, etc. so it is for sure that Intihar is still with them.

Hugare

That was the most obvious PS5 exclusive yet, even more than Demons Souls when revealed

God of War tho ... I'm sweating bullets

Having no transitions between the different realms would be amazing, therefore, such a wasted opportunity if cross gen

Please dont, Sony

That was the most obvious PS5 exclusive yet, even more than Demons Souls when revealed

Having no transitions between the different realms would be amazing, therefore, such a wasted opportunity if cross gen

Please dont, Sony
God of war had boring loading screen whe you travel between realms. It's also the type of game that SSD is needed for.
My thoughts are that Sony already announced their cross gen list.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

Please dont, Sony

They could still do 'faster' travel b/w different realms on PS5 ala R&C: Rift Apart.

What I'm more interested in having bigger fights. Originally, Cory wanted the fight with Baldur to be much bigger in scale, launching each other to different areas of the map in real-time, but PS4 couldn't do it. So we had one jump where Kratos falls in his backyard lol.

A GoW PS5 exclusive will melt brains, and I'm all for it!

mckmas8808

Banned
True. Miles Morales was led by Bryan Horton's team. Spider-Man 1 was developed by Brian Intihar's team (who is likely working on Spider-Man 2, since R&C is being made by Marcus Smith).

Horton also mentioned a couple of times that Intihar helped him with Miles Morales with story elements, gameplay ideas, etc. so it is for sure that Intihar is still with them.

So does Insomniac have 3 teams now?

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
So does Insomniac have 3 teams now?

Never confirmed or acknowledged by Sony, but 99.99% yes.

1. Bryan Horton's team = Spider-Man Miles Morales
2. March Smith's team = Ratchet & Clank
3. Brian Intihar's team = ??? (Spider-Man 2)

Horton joined the studio when they were working on Spider-Man PS4 (2018) under Intihar. After it released, Horton got his own team that later released Miles Morales.

THEAP99

Banned
They could still do 'faster' travel b/w different realms on PS5 ala R&C: Rift Apart.

What I'm more interested in having bigger fights. Originally, Cory wanted the fight with Baldur to be much bigger in scale, launching each other to different areas of the map in real-time, but PS4 couldn't do it. So we had one jump where Kratos falls in his backyard lol.

A GoW PS5 exclusive will melt brains, and I'm all for it!
I'm worried that the god of war ragnarok may just be like miles morales being a dlc type of game rather than full sequel considering the fact it may be on ps4. Same with horizon Forbidden West :messenger_weary:

MDSLKTR

Horton joined the studio when they were working on Spider-Man PS4 (2018) under Intihar. After it released, Horton got his own team that later released Miles Morales.
Do you know what the team that did the oculus exclusives is doing now?

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I'm worried that the god of war ragnarok may just be like miles morales being a dlc type of game rather than full sequel considering the fact it may be on ps4. Same with horizon Forbidden West :messenger_weary:

No way. They did think about God of War's DLC but decided to move ahead with the sequel, so the next game will move the story forward properly.

Horizon is coming after ~4.5 years with a new map and story. I wouldn't worry about either of them not being proper sequels -- except cross-gen will compromise the creative vision. I hope GOW is a PS5 exclusive (I'm 80% sure it will be)

diffusionx

Gold Member
I hope they have different writers, R&C 2016's story, characters, dialogue, all of that, was just horrible.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Do you know what the team that did the oculus exclusives is doing now?

I don't know about all the team members; I believe the developers dispersed into these three different teams. But the director Brian Allgeier (yeah, that's another Brian 😂) isn't directing games anymore. He is still with Insomniac, but shifted to 'Director of Experience' after releasing R&C in 2016.

Marcus Smith was promoted as creative director for Rift Apart.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

Please dont, Sony
Jimbo already said that generation defining games wont come to ps5 until 2022 and they already announced gow and horizon as 2021 games.

Jimbo already said that generation defining games wont come to ps5 until 2022 and they already announced gow and horizon as 2021 games.
Yet R&C is PS5 exclusive
We haven't heard any news on Returnal or GT7
I really hope Ragnarok is ps5 exclusive
Most likely what Jim means is we will have a mix of both cross gen and ps5 exclusive games from 2020-2022
After 2022 all their exclusives will be ps5 exclusive
If GOW makes 2021 it will mark the beginning of the generation defining games (alongside R&C) assuming they don't make it cross gen

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Yet R&C is PS5 exclusive
We haven't heard any news on Returnal or GT7
I really hope Ragnarok is ps5 exclusive
Most likely what Jim means is we will have a mix of both cross gen and ps5 exclusive games from 2020-2022
After 2022 all their exclusives will be ps5 exclusive
If GOW makes 2021 it will mark the beginning of the generation defining games (alongside R&C) assuming they don't make it cross gen

Both Returnal and GT7 are coming before June 30, 2021. And not sure about GT7, but Returnal was introduced as a PS5 exclusive (never happened with Miles Morales and HFW).

And yeah, Jim said "generation-defining" (like GoW, Uncharted 4, TLOU2, GOT, etc.), not "PS5 exclusives" -- which makes sense considering there were no generation defining PS4 games until 2015.

mckmas8808

Banned

Do we have any idea which team is the "A" team?

mckmas8808

Banned
No idea. My guess would be:

#1. Bryan Intihar's (Spider-Man PS4 & likely SM 2)
#2. Marcus Smith's (Ratchet & Clank)
#3. Brian Horton's (Miles Morales)

I can see that. Especially if you think which team got which games to make over the last 4 years. This is great news when you consider how Spiderman: MM looks at launch. It'll theoretically be the "worse" looking Insomniac PS5 game with the least amount of tech in it (when you consider it's being built by the 3rd team and it's a launch game).

The game looks cool. I’ve never played a game in this series so I’ll wait for it to hit the usual $20 Sony discount. There are plenty of other games in my backlog to pass the time.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
The game looks cool. I’ve never played a game in this series so I’ll wait for it to hit the usual $20 Sony discount. There are plenty of other games in my backlog to pass the time.

The movie tie-in game would be a really great introduction to the series. It's the most recent one and it's a standalone re-imagining of the first game, one of the shorter titles and it's on the PS+ collection. Great little vertical slice of what RnC is all about. Strongly recommended to newcomers as a taster of what's to come.

xiskza

This will be my first time playing a R&C game, looks pretty great tbh. Might get it for my nephew too

Top Bottom