• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insomniac Games Implementing New Dialogue Technology for Spider-Man 2

midnightAI

My guess is some kind of advancement on Naughty Dogs games that allows the npc talking react to what you are doing while mid conversation. Such as if you walk away while they are talking they will make a quip about that and then they will continue the conversation when you return (such as ... 'as I was saying...')

https://twistedvoxel.com/marvels-spider-man-2-wolverine-new-dialogue-technology/

Cool sidebar - Elan Ruskin is the same guy from Insomniac who gave the GDC talk on the streaming system in Spiderman. He worked on revamping the streaming tech for Ratchet & Clank PS5 and provides additional info on PS5 SSD and I/O. This may be particularly informative for people complaining that PS5 hasn't shown SSD speed advantage yet. Timestampped.

He is saying PS5 I/O is so fast they are limited by their engine (initializing the world takes too much time) so they need to pre-bake that initialization and load everything from the SSD.

Perrott

Gold Member
This shit shouldn't be news.

Most likely scenario is that it is some gimmick that makes both friendly and enemy NPCs more aware of their surroundings, so that they deliver more context-specific dialogue. That's literally it.

No one would even notice and no one gives a shit. So again, why is this "news"?

midnightAI

This shit shouldn't be news.

Most likely scenario is that it is some gimmick that makes both friendly and enemy NPCs more aware of their surroundings, so that they deliver more context-specific dialogue. That's literally it.

No one would even notice and no one gives a shit. So again, why is this "news"?
While I agree, this is non-news, I also think you can't downplay it (or rave about it) simply because we don't know what it is they are doing yet.

Perrott

Gold Member
While I agree, this is non-news, I also think you can't downplay it (or rave about it) simply because we don't know what it is they are doing yet.
I mean, we know for a fact that the game won't be an RPG, so as complex and well-crafted as this dialogue technology might be, it won't have any significant impact over the actual gameplay and design of the game.

And don't get me wrong, I love attention to detail, but as a piece of news or even a discussion topic, this has the relevance of the temperature-sensitive balls of RDR2 horses.

Ar¢tos

Spider-Man will have a talking cuff AND a talking kid AND a talking work wife AND a talking decapitated head with the main character all the time! There won't be a moment of silence, they will all be constantly talking to each others, it's a new breakthrough in dialogue tech.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
10/10 games never mind Sony fanboys, Spider-Man is different than other mcu characters, he can show emotion, produce under pressure and focus on taking down bad guys like Rhino, Tinkerer, and Prowler in MM.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
In a game like Spider-man? It could be quite cool if it is like that and it improves open world immersion more :).

Yep my thoughts exactly. Despite almost copying Arkham games' combat one to one, Spiderman doesn't have anywhere near the staying power those games had. People say insomniac is an A tier studio, but really they are B tier. Not on the level of rocksteady.
Level of Rocksteady? You mean those AAA bangers of Suicide Squad and Arkam Knights? Oh yeah, way better than Spiderman 2.....

Edit: just saw you trolling multiple post, its cool, nevermind.

Last edited:

HelveticaBold

Neo Member
I wonder if the physically-based muscle and costume deformation in Miles Morales will be expanded to all costumes or uses in facial animation?

Gambit2483

Maybe there are times when characters will ask Peter/Miles where they currently are and the MC will litterally say where they are in the city and how long it will take them to get to someone/somewhere.

Or maybe if you're in a loud/crowded area the person on the other end will comment that they can barely hear you.

And of course the strain in the MC's voice will make a return signaling when they are talking while not moving versus talking while swinging. That was definitely an extremely well done and detailed effect that they added but didn't have to.

Top Bottom