• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insomniac's Narrative Director On Spider-Man 2: "We are really working hard to make sure that this is the best game we've ever made."

Not exactly sure how much that will improve a Spiderman game. You can only take a Spiderman simulation so far.

I know for some co-op mode would be cool, but not for me.

They could do co-op, but there are a lot of ways to improve it.

Just graphically, if you beat the first game, you'd see that the graphics get a huge jump for the end fight, but the mechanics around the fight become limited. It's a glorified cut scene. I'd like this game to look entirely like that if possible.

Second, the design of open world needs to change. Don't send me on errands or side missions that don't feel valuable. They should feel like part of the overall story/lore of the game.

Remove elements of the game that people didn't like before i.e. the MJ sneaking around missions that were too many, too long, and not enjoyable to play. Particularly the hotel one.

They were supposed to be metal gear esque, but they just get annoying because you'd rather be spider-manning.

So much talent on just a spider man game.
I mean I love spider man but it feels like a waste. Granted I’ve got both games for ps5
I plan to clear the backlog finally and play the sequel on release but still… I’ve watched all the movies. Garfield is my fav modern Peter Parker. Sam raimi movies are still goat.
What I hate most about spider man is that he got poor villains. But the worst thing is the stupid multiverse and miles crap. This gets rid of all the character identity possible if he can be anything.

One thing I am worried about is how soft and edge less their games are. Ratchet 2016 was terrible in this regard. They made ratchet and clank both bitches.
Rift apart is much better. Fantastic game. Thankfully they limited terrible Disney woke crap to stuff like insecure hacking spider… so bad.
Nah these spiderman games are top tier. The best peter parker ( the original face model) with quite the emotional story. Miles morales was pretty good as well with the sidekick finding out if he is worth being a hero. A cut above the average mcu script.

Not gonna lie, I'm disappointed that insomniac Is busy making capeshit games from an established Disney ip rather than working their creative magic with their own ips

LimanimaPT

And then we'll get Wolverine!

dog GIF
What a waste of resources in super hero games....

DosGamer

As someone who loves Spiderman, I cant help but think this game may either disappoint or do just enough to say it was just another game maybe slightly better than the last game in the franchise type of game.

I just wonder what they can do different to make the actual gameplay loop better. Surely they have tricks up their sleeves, but Im worried it will just be more of the same.

GymWolf

I love Insmoniac but they have yet to hit Tier 1 Sony studios for me. Ratchet was their chance to blow me away and they kind of underwhelmed. It's a good game but i expect way more from sony studios.

I think Sucker Punch took that step up from Tier 2 to top tier with Ghost of Tsushima. They are up there with ND and SSM now. GG was downgraded after HFW lol

Hate to say it but this needs to be a GOTY contender like GOW, TLOU and Arkham City. It's likely the only big game from sony first party this year and if they miss out this year as well, they will have gone 3 years without topping GOTY awards. Something they did for 5 years starting from 2013 to 2020 when they won with TLOU, Uncharted 4, GOW, Death Stranding and TLOU2.
Sucker punch over insomniac? Up there with sm and nd?

Get the fuck out of here.

Ubisoft samurai is not nearly enough to get there with nd and sm.

Graphic wise they are not even better than bend, let alone insomniac.

Hopefully it's gonna be better than trash like ds or u4:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Sucker punch over insomniac? Up there with sm and nd?

Get the fuck out of here.

Ubisoft samurai is not nearly enough to get there with nd and sm.

Graphic wise they are not even better than bend, let alone insomniac.

Hopefully it's gonna be better than trash like ds or u4:lollipop_grinning_sweat:
luke-sky-walker.gif

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Using a the last jedi gif automatically make you lose the argument.

You are crazy if you think that sushima put sp in tier1 or that tsushima looks better than days gone (other that personal art design preference)
It's a better game. I dont know about visual quality. They both have their strengths and weaknesses. Ghosts has a better artstyle but Days Gone does a far better job at dynamic weather, horde simulation and time of day.

I liked Days Gone more than some of these woke journalists but its a 7-7.5 game at best. Ghost is an easy 8-8.5.

Ratchet and Miles are just not ambitious enough imo. They are good solid 7/10 games but GOTY? nah. Compare the number of GOTY awards Ghost won to what Insomniac has won with Spiderman, Miles, and Ratchet. Spiderman came out in the wrong year and lost to GOW. Ok fine. But Ghosts did too, TLOU2 won the vast majority of awards but Ghosts still manage to end as a runner up.

Insomniac has to step up since they are the only big release from Sony first party this year. Zelda and Starfield will likely duke it out but if Insomniac make another game like Ratchet and Spiderman that reviews well but is forgotten come awards time because it was a fun little forgettable adventure then yes they would still be in Tier 2.

And thats the only criteria. Can they compete with Zelda and Starfield in the goty war? I think we all know the answer to that is a resounding NO.

• The Last of Us Part II - 322
  • Media Outlets: 208 | Readers' Choice: 114
  • Ghost of Tsushima - 74
  • Media Outlets: 59 | Readers' Choice: 15
  • Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales - 4 (including two awards from 2021)

• God of War- 263
    • Media Outlets: 176 | Readers' Choice: 87
  • Red Dead Redemption 2 - 178 (including 3 awards from 2019)
    • Media Outlets: 129 | Readers' Choice: 49
  • Marvel's Spider-Man- 24
    • Media Outlets: 23 | Readers' Choice: 1

• It Takes Two - 86
  • Media Outlets: 66 | Readers' Choice: 20
  • Resident Evil Village - 60
  • Media Outlets: 29 | Readers' Choice: 31
  • Forza Horizon 5 - 54
  • Media Outlets: 34 | Readers' Choice: 20
  • Deathloop - 40
  • Media Outlets: 34 | Readers' Choice: 6
  • Metroid Dread - 36
  • Media Outlets: 29 | Readers' Choice: 7
  • Halo Infinite - 26
  • Media Outlets: 20 | Readers' Choice: 6
  • Returnal - 22
  • Media Outlets: 19 | Readers' Choice: 3
  • Psychonauts 2 - 19
  • Media Outlets: 18 | Readers' Choice: 1
  • Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart - 19
  • Media Outlets: 18 | Readers' Choice: 1

Last edited:

GymWolf

Yeah you lost me at sushima an easy 8-8,5, lmao.

They are both 7\10 at the very best, tsushima has better combat and days gone has better story, both have kinda bog standard open worlds.

There is no fucking way that sp is on the same tier as the creators of gow and tlou, cmon dude.

Both sucker punch and insomniac are tier 2 with insomniac being slightly better.

You must be one of those dudes that only start scoring from 7 upwards if tushsima is a freaking 8,5...

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
First game was really great. Finished twice. Did rock my world? No. It was basically a Batman game. Nothing more, nothing less, and I'm really ok with this formula. But if they want to make their "best game", I guess they need to have a greater twist. Just saying

Kydd BlaZe

I'm beyond hyped. Insomniac has quickly become one of my favorite developers. This is coming out later this year, right?

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo

We are really working hard to make sure that this is the best game we've ever made​

Well, it's not even that hard you know, just remove all extremely mediocre, repetitive, gringe af and roten to the core open world content from the game (and I mean all of it), replace it with more hand-crafted one similar to Silver Lining story DLC, signigicantly reduce the number of enemy encounters to prevent combat system from outstaying its welcome at 10-15h mark, stage each encounter by hand without respawns (Arham Asylum/City/Knight) so that it would make sense when it comes to pacing of the whole game overall.... and there you have it, the best Spider-Man game ever made.

But I'm pretty sure all of this won't get done and second game will suffer from the same exact issues as the first one and Miles, so, it won't be the best game Insomniac ever made.

Last edited:
Top Bottom