• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insomniac's Narrative Director On Spider-Man 2: "We are really working hard to make sure that this is the best game we've ever made."

Gambit2483

I like to look at the slight differences between these three phrases:

"We're making the game we always wanted to make"

"We're making the best game in ____ franchise"

"We're making the best game we've ever made"

The first one is a passion project where they expect people to either love it, like it, or hate it.

The second is where they are committed to making a game that you can look back at a franchise and say 'This was the best one'.

However, the last one...the last one means you're aiming for the coveted list of all lists.

61xoaXal68L._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg
This mural...I'd give $1000 bucks to any gen Z that knew every character 😂😅

Warablo

Not exactly sure how much that will improve a Spiderman game. You can only take a Spiderman simulation so far.

I know for some co-op mode would be cool, but not for me.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Not exactly sure how much that will improve a Spiderman game. You can only take a Spiderman simulation so far.

They can start by getting it up to Arkham standards. Better level design, better puzzles, exploration, boss fights, hell even story.

Simulation wise, sky is the limit. They arent bound by real world rules like gta, watch dogs and other open worlds. Its a superhero game. Go nuts. Do whatever you can dream of.

Pelta88

Got the plat for Spidey 2018 and Miles Morales. I can't wait for the next installment followed by Wolverine.

We eating. Good.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting

Does a sequel need to iterate to justify its existence? Can't the fact that it's more of a good thing with a different story and some tweaks to non-critical gameplay (re: side activities) be enough?

They can start by getting it up to Arkham standards. Better level design, better puzzles, exploration, boss fights, hell even story.

Spiderman isn't the worlds greatest detective so I don't really think "puzzles" fits here; unless you mean environmental puzzles. Boss fights, sure, but level design is an odd one. It's "Marvel's" NYC. I mean, how much better realized could they have made it? It's not Arkham that they can make as weird as they want and I daresay it is on par with Gotham (either in City or Knight).

Not saying the game is gonna bomb, but what's newsworthy about this? That's what any developer is going to say about their game, regardless of whether it's true or not. You probably could have gotten that exact quote from a Redfall dev a few months ago.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Does a sequel need to iterate to justify its existence? Can't the fact that it's more of a good thing with a different story and some tweaks to non-critical gameplay (re: side activities) be enough?
Apparently a sequel these days should have a new artstyle, be made using a new engine, get rid of old mechanics and introduce only new ones.. Oh, and it definitely can’t use the same map.

This will obviously be DLC.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So much talent on just a spider man game.
I mean I love spider man but it feels like a waste.
How tho? I'm not even a Spider-Man fan and I don't get how one can say talent is wasted on one of the largest and most successful IPs in nerd history.

Especially how well the first one sold and the legs on the MM (Lost Legacy style) spinoff.

With that said, I'm eager to know more about how they tackle Wolverine.

So much talent on just a spider man game.
I mean I love spider man but it feels like a waste. Granted I’ve got both games for ps5
I plan to clear the backlog finally and play the sequel on release but still… I’ve watched all the movies. Garfield is my fav modern Peter Parker. Sam raimi movies are still goat.
What I hate most about spider man is that he got poor villains. But the worst thing is the stupid multiverse and miles crap. This gets rid of all the character identity possible if he can be anything.

One thing I am worried about is how soft and edge less their games are. Ratchet 2016 was terrible in this regard. They made ratchet and clank both bitches.
Rift apart is much better. Fantastic game. Thankfully they limited terrible Disney woke crap to stuff like insecure hacking spider… so bad.
You look at it as being woke, but it was actually clever for people who have arachnophobia. They didnt need to add the voicelines at all, but the character growth of the robot was supposed to coincide with your comfort of controlling a robot spider. Not the most therapeutic way to help someone, but its there.

Last edited:
Especially curious about how good the animation is going to be. That's the most exciting "technical" aspect to me, as we know that Insomniac will produce the best looking title of the year (alongside Hellblade II...if it comes out in 2023).

lefty1117

Gold Member
Same actors as last time? Mary Jane gonna wear jeans? Just curious

I'm sure this game will be great, just don't like Venom as a character all that much. I don't like villains that are clones or based off the hero, just feels like kinda lazy. Whatever I suppose I will have to endure it...

Thirty7ven

Banned
How tho? I'm not even a Spider-Man fan and I don't get how one can say talent is wasted on one of the largest and most successful IPs in nerd history.

Especially how well the first one sold and the legs on the MM (Lost Legacy style) spinoff.

With that said, I'm eager to know more about how they tackle Wolverine.

The talent chose to make this, and they chose to make Wolverine. Maybe the talent is having a lot of fun, and the first two games were great. Oh no what a waste.

onQ123

The fact that they know they can put all their chips on Spider Guy is crazy like they can put Hollywood film money into this game & make it back

NonPhixion

Looking forward to the Spider-Man 2 trailer before the end of may. They probably want to tack it onto the theatre previews before Across the Spiderverse on June 1st.

bender

What time is it?

Simulation wise, sky is the limit. They arent bound by real world rules like gta, watch dogs and other open worlds. Its a superhero game. Go nuts. Do whatever you can dream of.
AnnualBewitchedGalapagospenguin-size_restricted.gif

I love Insmoniac but they have yet to hit Tier 1 Sony studios for me. Ratchet was their chance to blow me away and they kind of underwhelmed. It's a good game but i expect way more from sony studios.

I think Sucker Punch took that step up from Tier 2 to top tier with Ghost of Tsushima. They are up there with ND and SSM now. GG was downgraded after HFW lol

Hate to say it but this needs to be a GOTY contender like GOW, TLOU and Arkham City. It's likely the only big game from sony first party this year and if they miss out this year as well, they will have gone 3 years without topping GOTY awards. Something they did for 5 years starting from 2013 to 2020 when they won with TLOU, Uncharted 4, GOW, Death Stranding and TLOU2.

Marvel's Spider-Man put them in tier 1. Marvel's Spider-Man 2 will cement them.

Spider-Man was just as well made if not better than Ghost.

The thing about Insomniac compared to say Sucker Punch, is they are already massive scale. So if they can match tier 1 quality with tier 1 production, that's just a wrap. That puts them above Santa Monica. If Spider-Man 2 is their best game yet, it makes sony's investment in them not only a smash hit, but it also means sony is properly managing bulk up these studios. Insomniac sits at 519 employees according to linkedin. When I made my sony studio post in october (basically november), they sat at 499.

ProtoByte

I cannot wait to see this. Speaking of narrative I'm hoping for some smoother script writing. The first game was peak Spider-Man, but if they can take it just a little further, it could be one of the best stories in games.

Marvel's Spider-Man put them in tier 1. Marvel's Spider-Man 2 will cement them.

Spider-Man was just as well made if not better than Ghost.

The thing about Insomniac compared to say Sucker Punch, is they are already massive scale. So if they can match tier 1 quality with tier 1 production, that's just a wrap. That puts them above Santa Monica. If Spider-Man 2 is their best game yet, it makes sony's investment in them not only a smash hit, but it also means sony is properly managing bulk up these studios. Insomniac sits at 519 employees according to linkedin. When I made my sony studio post in october (basically november), they sat at 499.

Yep

SM1 >>>>> any Arkham game

People are saying, what else do you expect him to say...

How these people can say this in the same week that we heard "Great games aren't going to move the needle for us" is staggering.

If Insomniac, a highly acclaimed studio is claiming this, it's a good sign. It's not the only thing like this we've heard like this.

It's very easy to set expectations low like we saw from Phil Spencer or make excuses as we saw from Phil Spencer.

That being said, if you look at the highest-rated game from Insomniac on Metacritic: Ratchet and Clank up your arsenal (91) 20 years ago. Marvel's Spider-Man was 4 points off from that. If they've taken a step forward in game design, they'll get there. I'm excited for them and to play the game.

I am generally no fan of open world, but Spider-man probably was so far the best I ever played since the web swinging was just nice and cool from beginning to end and made all the movement enjoyable and not like a time waste like in pretty much every other open world game. But narration and story was imho all over the place. It basically required the player to know some bits of the character already, Spider-man's submissive relationship with MJ felt cringey most of the time, MJs character felt needlessly "girl power"ish, most bad guys were underintroduced, just appeared for some scenes and were gone again, Miles' integration was sort of weirdly handled, I think a bit less introduction and the bite as the after credit scene instead of the cringe reveal would have been better, feature him in his own game and not make a half assed playable character already in the Peter Parker game, the only narrative thing that felt fully utilized were the Just the Facts radios, those made my realise how shallow the movies were in that regard and robbed of a very fun and the most realistic satire element of the IP.

GymWolf

Getting rid of the redhead bitch and forced stealth sections from the first game would be a good first step.

GymWolf

Boss fights are trash in batman aswell, free flow is shit for boss fights, no amount of cool qte is gonna change that.

And the only batman with good level design was the first one because it was basically a metroidvania, ths others are bog standard open world stuff with closed arenas for stealth.

Last edited:

Exploration, level design and puzzles were the best thing in the first Batman. So good! But boss fights kinda sucked.

Last edited:
Top Bottom