• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Instagram Boss: “Cars kill people but in overall are good for the world, social media is the same”

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
We know that more people die than would otherwise because of car accidents, but by and large, cars create way more value in the world than they destroy,” Mosseri said. “And I think social media is similar.

It brings me back to this old article:

ZywyPL

Banned
Agree with the cars part, disagree about social media. If anything, they distance people from each other, with a false sense they're doing the opposite, but double-tapping the screen or spamming emojis has nothing to do with socializing, which is evident once those people go offline and enter the real world, when they can't even have a 10min. conversation before they escape back to their phones/social media again.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
It polarizes people, it gives idiots and morons a way to connect and spread lies and false information.. and dont get me started on "influencers" & cum bucket celebs who've been elevated well beyond their status.. burn it all to the ground

Last edited by a moderator:

Cyberpunkd

The problem with social media isn't social media itself. It's just a result of what happens when you get a lot of people worldwide together that shouldn't be together in normal life.
All that needs to be said. There is a reason psychologists say to ‘take the time for yourself’ as one of the main things of improving psychological health.

Social media doesn’t want you to be alone, it wants you to constantly engage and share with others to in turn fuel more engagement. It doesn’t give you any space to take a step back and relax. It should be regulated the same way tobacco is (or in France any junk food).

Ballthyrm

Since when is social media considered essential?

Coming from Europe, the same question could be asked of cars.
Car culture in the US destroyed your cities and gave San Fransisco an infinite traffic jam.

100 years on and fighting to get rid of cars in cities centers is really hard, and that's in Europe, where cities weren't designed for them in the first place.
I expect it will take longer to get rid of social media.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Umm, the correct analogy is that social media is like cars where the onboard software is subliminally trying to influence you to run other drivers off the road!

The main problem with social media is that it is such a double-edged sword. Whilst it can be a great tool to inspire and share, there are so many overwhelming negatives that come with it. As another poster said, I think it's important to take steps to help regulate something like social media - not some outright authoritarian stuff like what China are doing with video games but maybe restrictions akin to what a lot of gambling or betting apps have. Stricter controls to help the end user break their addiction to it.

Hell, even I am guilty of too much screen time, but I know how important it is to regulate my usage and actually take time for myself. Other outlets and hobbies are a good start to get off the social media wagon.

The comparison to cars is utter nonsense. Unless we've got a bunch of people hopelessly addicted to driving at all times of the day...

Everything in moderation.

dr_octagon

Banned
an instagram car would drive off a cliff for attention or always stay on the drive to impress the neighbours. you can only carry emotional baggage and inspirational quotes. no passengers unless they are millionaires. travel only permitted during down perfect down lighting (midday).

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I look at Instagram less often but it’s remarkable how social media is better than most think just the idiots get exposed social media is a nightmare if you’re an idiot bla bla blah
Blah Blah Blah Whatever GIF by Minions

j0hnnix

Gold Member
Social Media in the wrong hands is like having a drunk driver driving through a school zone but the school zone is releasing billions of children and the driver is driving a semi truck.

MrMephistoX

Same could be said of guns? The benefits are sports, community, self sufficiency and defense. Mass shootings are abhorrent but your chances of getting into a serious car accident are exponentially higher than your being shot.

cormack12

Gold Member
PGRMnn.gif

Social media has a little period where the idealistic nature allowed good things to blossom. Now, it's just the equivalent of panhandling in most cases, or trying to post obvious bits of 'wisdom' to garner likes from people who want it reciprocated. People extrapolate that a tweet on pop culture is evidence of supporting the underlying cause. Case in point, people tweeting about brexit being a bad idea but then voted for the tories. People are still surfing the backlog of like for likes and followbacks from that.

It also generates easy articles for trash sites/journalists who can lazily pick up a trend and assert they have the finger on the pulse of the people. Twitter does not represent the general public. It's the equivalent of having a massive icq chat but instead of nerds and dorks from the mid 90's, it's full of hipsters ad virtue signallers who dominate the chat window while the interesting stuff is lost.

However, it only has power because people give it coverage and prominence. I wonder what would happen if the only people who paid attention to twitter were the people on it......be dead within 3 months.

oagboghi2

It’s both. They intentionally funnel people into extreme views to increase engagement.
Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

Let me translate:
"Our platform literally costs human lives, but people can fap to attention whores and share pictures of their restaurant meals, so all in all that's a plus right?"
The dude is correct. Social media is not "Instagram" or "Facebook". Social Media refers to experiences in which we all create the content. Almost everything online has social media. reviews on Amazon, for example. Neogaf is social media.

dr_octagon

Banned
The dude is correct. Social media is not "Instagram" or "Facebook". Social Media refers to experiences in which we all create the content. Almost everything online has social media. reviews on Amazon, for example. Neogaf is social media.
Neogaf is a messageboard with some social features like yellow tear laugh man. The site has no equivalent to live stream feature or integrated news or content feed.

Reddit may be closer because it has a bigger audience but being social isn't the sole requirement. Youtube is platform for video but has social features, it isn't social media.

Social media encompasses sharing and creating content but it's also the combination of platform, type of service and audience reach. If you ask average person, it will be the big 3.

Facebook, Instagram, Twitter are the triforce of stupidity.

oagboghi2

Neogaf is a messageboard with some social features like yellow tear laugh man. The site has no equivalent to live stream feature or integrated news or content feed.

Reddit may be closer because it has a bigger audience but being social isn't the sole requirement. Youtube is platform for video but has social features, it isn't social media.
no, Social media is content users make. Youtube videos are absolutely social media, and so is messageboards like Neogaf. Every post and every thread you make is creating social media.

Social media encompasses sharing and creating content but it's also the combination of platform, type of service and audience reach. If you ask average person, it will be the big 3.

No, Facebook and Instagram are social networks. A platform that organizes said media is a social network.

If I made a blog, and you commented on my blog, we are both making social media. If I made a Facebook page, and you wanted to comment on it, you would have to join the Facebook social network ,to be able to make social media on my Facebook page

Last edited:

dr_octagon

Banned
i take your point about sharing and creating and the definitions of media, network, content are important (agreed that a blog is a type of social media)

most people won't make the distinction of media created by users for sharing because social media is used as a catch all term primarily for those networks

oagboghi2

i take your point about sharing and creating and the definitions of media, network, content are important (agreed that a blog is a type of social media)

most people won't make the distinction of media created by users for sharing because social media is used as a catch all term primarily for those networks
but that is the definition this guy is using, and it is generally what software engineers and web designers use as well.

Nothing he said is even that controversial unless you believe people shouldn't be allowed to communicate with others on the internet.

dr_octagon

Banned
but that is the definition this guy is using, and it is generally what software engineers and web designers use as well.

Nothing he said is even that controversial unless you believe people shouldn't be allowed to communicate with others on the internet.
who?

Top Bottom