• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Installed a new HD...but XP refuses to recognize it

Status
Not open for further replies.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
So...I put in my spanking new Maxtor HD, it appears in the BIOS when I boot up, no issues. However...when I click on My Computer, it's nowhere to be found.

Scan for New Hardware? nothin@!

If I go into Device Manager, however, there it sits - grinning at me impudently. Right-clicking on it to check Properties tells me that "this device is working properly". So why can't I see it in My Computer so I can format the thing? :(

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
What type/manufacter is the drive?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
First thing first, this may sound basic, but i've seen it happen.

Ensure that Master and Slave settings are correct on all your drives.

Ecrofirt

does Disk Managment see the drive? You can find it in Start>Administrative Tools>Computer Managment>Disk Managment

You can format it there

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Hmm..going into Disk Management sez this:

Select one or more disks to initialize:
Disk 1 (with a checkmark beside it)

and that's it. How the hell do I check to see if the Master/slave arrangements are correct? The HD didn't come in a box with instructions and all, unfortunately.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
wait a sec, Disk 0 is my main HD, and Disk 1 is the secondary HD. So I can see it and initialize it. Hold on.

jenov4

If you see it in Disk Management, then you don't have to worry about the Slave/Master settings. Your Windows XP has detected it.

Right click on that drive and 'write signature' or something like that to it. Then you'll have the option of formatting it.

BTW - If it asks you to use it as a Dynamic Disk, revert it back to the Basic otherwise that HDD can't be read by any other PC. (From my understanding) Good luck.

Suikoguy

samus4ever said:
i think the connections say master and slave on them. Atleast my comp had that on the connections.

They are jumper settings on the HDD.
Modern hardrives come default to Cable Select or Master.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Sounds eerily like my Archos 20 gig mp3 player. I could see it in device manager but could not format the damn thing. It's still sitting here, unformatted like a mofo. I've got an iPod now...good luck though..

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
Did you run that setup disc that comes with the drive? If not, you should try it. With my last hard drive, which was a Maxtor, it wouldn't work until I ran their software. I think you have to boot to it.

8bit

Knows the Score
What size is it? I think you need XPSP1 for > 130 Gb or so.
Also, I've had no luck with maxtor drives, 2 out of 2 headcrashed on me.

xabre

Banned
The file table (FAT32, NTFS etc) wouldn't be set up (which is what you do when you format it) which probably explains why you can't see it in My Computer. If Disk Manager doesn't work you could get a Windows 98/ME boot disk and use fdisk to format the drive instead.

SKluck

Banned
Fdisk the bitch, that's all.

As a sidenote, sp1 doesn't matter if its larger than 130gigs in terms of recognizing it. It would still see it and be able to partition/format, it just can't see more than 130gigs.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
FYI the major HD manufacturers now keep very good listings of jumper settings, etc. at their websites, even for ancients HD's which I discovered when I had to reinstall OLD HD's at work earlier this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom