• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Installing Call of Duty's Campaigns these days is a fucking joke right?

SCB3

So I decided to finally play MW 2019 and MW2 this week and installing the 2019 game on PS5 is so fucking weird I just had to talk about it, so lets step by step this:

• Download the CoD MW Launcher that includes WZ and the MP
    • Only choose to download the Campaign
      • But to do this you need to download the 80gb launcher
        • I thought hat was it, but no
      • Download the Campaign Pack only
        • Nope
      • Download the Spec Ops and Campaign Pack
      • Then download the Remastered Campaign and Spec Ops pack for another 30gb size
    • Will this allow me to just play the campaign? Who knows
  • I should've just got this on PC
  • I have MW2 installed already as my Wife plays WZ2.0 but fuck knows if thats gonna work yet

I was inspired by this Video, great YT'er btw:

SCB3

You should've seen it 2 years ago. They've improved the process significantly since then, and also compressed the data, which previously was hogging like a terabyte of disk space with both MW and BO installed.
I did, Vanguard was hell to get running on Xbox Series X at release

Interfectum

What’s even more hilarious is the awful AI around the whole thing. When I first booted up MW1 I was greeted to a massive WARZONE 2 title screen. Note, nothing I downloaded supports Warzone 2. The titlescreen was an ad for the new game. I was so confused at first WTF I was supposed to do or what I even downloaded that I went back to the PSN store to be sure I got the right download.

And all of that work to play a b-movie Micheal Bay ripoff HOORAH game. Waste of time and MW2019 is massively overrated.

Last edited:

Emedan

Yeah components delivery is a clusterfuck, honestly can't understand how one can fuck up the install that much.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Maybe because it's a different team, but I had no such issues with cold war on series x; select campaign for campaign, zombies for zombies, multiplayer for versus.
Deselected the campaign after finishing it and it just removed it.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
So I decided to finally play MW 2019 and MW2 this week and installing the 2019 game on PS5 is so fucking weird I just had to talk about it, so lets step by step this:

• Download the CoD MW Launcher that includes WZ and the MP
    • Only choose to download the Campaign
      • But to do this you need to download the 80gb launcher
        • I thought hat was it, but no
      • Download the Campaign Pack only
        • Nope
      • Download the Spec Ops and Campaign Pack
      • Then download the Remastered Campaign and Spec Ops pack for another 30gb size
    • Will this allow me to just play the campaign? Who knows
  • I should've just got this on PC
  • I have MW2 installed already as my Wife plays WZ2.0 but fuck knows if thats gonna work yet

I was inspired by this Video, great YT'er btw:

Coincidentally I just so happened to buy Modern Warfare this weekend, since it was $20 on Battlenet.
I was itching for a gorgeous FPS campaign and MW 2019 looks amazing.

Anyways…
- Buy the game through Battlenet
- I then had to create a separate Activision account? Why????
- Game hangs on when trying to Register for an Activision account.
- Close out the game and retry. It hangs again.
- Go on Activision’s webpage to just try and make the stupid account.
- Oh, I already have one? I don’t remember when I made it. Maybe WWII?
- Reset Password
- Setup Two Factor Authorization
- Shader Compilation was fast.

Took a bit to get going, and initially I wasn’t too impressed visually. Turns out the game was holding back on some settings, so I cranked it all up. Running at my monitor’s max 165fps, and it looks great.

I also watched GGManlives video, and fuck am I totally in the mood to go and play these campaigns again. I’ve been working my way through old school CoD 2 as well lately.

I’ll grab Cold War when it’s $20 on Steam, to play the campaign.

flying_sq

On PC it's pretty easy. Just pick what parts you want to download via a check box on battle net. Or on steam I think you can modify it someway, maybe by installed dlc. Never really been an issue for me.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
It's been more than 10 years since I bought a COD... And I'm not going to. Apart from consuming memory, it's a nuisance to download all those GBs.

Three

What’s even more hilarious is the awful AI around the whole thing. When I first booted up MW1 I was greeted to a massive WARZONE 2 title screen. Note, nothing I downloaded supports Warzone 2. The titlescreen was an ad for the new game. I was so confused at first WTF I was supposed to do or what I even downloaded that I went back to the PSN store to be sure I got the right download.

And all of that work to play a b-movie Micheal Bay ripoff HOORAH game. Waste of time and MW2019 is massively overrated.
It's because they are really trying to push Warzone on people it's made the whole experience shitty.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I still remember needing to download 150GB for a 6 hour campaign for the last Black Ops game. Shit was ridiculous :messenger_tears_of_joy:

You should've seen it 2 years ago. They've improved the process significantly since then, and also compressed the data, which previously was hogging like a terabyte of disk space with both MW and BO installed.
Not only that but back then, or actually it still might be the case I’m not sure, but it had that uninstall bug, when you login to play something and a data pack or two would be missing suddenly, you would install the missing pack and it still wouldn’t work, eventually you’d have to delete the whole game and reinstall everything hoping it would work, then something else would be missing, or you wouldn’t be able to play multiplayer because a random co-op or warzone pack was missing, it was such a mess. Every time you booted the game up it was a gamble whether or not something would start reinstalling because it deleted itself.

SCB3

On PC it's pretty easy. Just pick what parts you want to download via a check box on battle net. Or on steam I think you can modify it someway, maybe by installed dlc. Never really been an issue for me.
If only it was that easy on Console

Someone mentioned Cold War, that was fine imo

Very Very underrated as well, Kit Harrington is amazing as the villain
He's one of the biggest complaints from everyone who plays the campaign because he's a "one dimensional" character.

But I say hmm, lets see.

Do I want an overly dramatic enemy villain in a war game? Or do I want an enemy general grounded in reality who's sole purpose is to win the war by any means necessary.

Salem Kotch is too busy fighting the war to be on my screen constantly spouting extended monologues. His goals and cold personality are set up in the prologue mission. And he only shows up about three more times for only a minute or two over the course of a 6 - 8 hour campaign. His character doesn't over stay his welcome. And it works perfectly.

SCB3

He's one of the biggest complaints from everyone who plays the campaign because he's a "one dimensional" character.

But I say hmm, lets see.

Do I want an overly dramatic enemy villain in a war game? Or do I want an enemy general grounded in reality who's sole purpose is to win the war by any means necessary.

Salem Kotch is too busy fighting the war to be on my screen constantly spouting extended monologues. His goals and cold personality are set up in the prologue mission. And he only shows up about three more times for only a minute or two over the course of a 6 - 8 hour campaign. His character doesn't over stay his welcome. And it works perfectly.
Kit Harrington has the unfortunate issue of now being Typecast as "Jon Snow" whereas he is actually really good in other things, he was the stand out in IW, great in the Silent Hill film he was in and of course Eternals which is a good film hampered by really annoying characters. It's no wonder they're paying him a lot to be Jon Snow again in that new HBO series

SCB3

So this is a nightmare, so downloading just the Campaign wouldn't allow me access so fuck it I'll download everything and just delete it when I'm done, what a convoluted mess

Not if one can't stand the MP and actually likes the campaigns. Having said that, I tried COD WWII's campaign and really hated the story. It was average and Josh Duhamel's character was so annoying and ridiculous I quit after about 2 hours in. This is the reason I don't play COD anymore. The MP isn't for me anymore and the campaigns are terrible. I miss the quality of COD 4: Modern Warfare or Black Ops.

SHA

I still remember needing to download 150GB for a 6 hour campaign for the last Black Ops game. Shit was ridiculous :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Their right place should be through service subscriptions, there will be time the series will be degraded down the ocean as a second tier product, when there's no innovation at all people will just forget it.

Top Bottom