• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel 14th Gen CPUs reported t be 15% more expensive than 13th gen

T4keD0wN

3% performance increase (allegedly) at 15% higher price?
Will Ferrell Lol GIF by NBA

The 14700k is the only decent upgrade from its predecessor.

Last edited:

nkarafo

Waiting to build a PC feels like it gets worse and worse the more i wait since the crypto prices. I'm still stuck with 9y old components and a 6y old gfx card and still not pulling the plug (even for a console) because despite all that i can still play plenty of new/old games while hoping the right time for a new build might come soon.

GreatnessRD

No shot this is real. 15% price hike with the reported 3% performance gain? NO SHOT! Lmao

We shall wait for Arrow-Lake

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Based on recent headlines that means it is 15% more expensive for 3% more performance.
Was that just talking about the 14900K? I thought the 14700K was a bigger gain because of the extra E cores.

Anyway yeah this is not looking very compelling. Who is this even for? If you already have a LGA1700 system this won’t be much of an upgrade. If you’re in the market for a new motherboard + CPU, why invest in a dead platform when you can get AM5 + Ryzen 7000 series for cheaper + have an upgrade path?

Puscifer

What a weird time for PC component prices. Ram and SSD's cheaper than ever, GPU's and CPU's more ridiculous than ever.

How are motherboard prices right now?
AM5 is a great buy in RN

7600X is regularly 200 dollars and comes with Starfield, even if it wasn't the 7600 is basically the same thing.

DDR5 32GB can be had for roughly 80-100 bucks depending on what you want

AM5 motherboards have seriously dropped as well, only real ones that carry the tax are mini

Del_X

Sticking with my 12900KS for… a long time. Have a feeling it’ll get me into 2028 or 2029 when there’s something on consoles actually pushing CPU compute.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
PSA:
12600Ks are currently going for like 180 - 200 dollars.
12900Ks are currently going for like 320 - 340 dollars.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Not worth it.
Wait for PantherLake, the 10700K is still a beyond decent CPU unless you are aiming for super high refresh rate gaming.
Yup, IMO doesn’t make much sense to jump in to LGA1700 right now, unless maybe you’re looking into used/discounted 12/13th gen after 14th gen releases.

Without getting too far into politics expect chip prices to stay high, with middling performance increases for the next 5-10 years as globalization falls apart.

80% of global neon supply came from the massive build up Gorbachev ordered in reaction to Reagan's Star Wars smoke & mirrors campaign. Neon was to be used as a focus for massive space laser arrays, but it's now used in the lasers that etch the microprocessors. All that infrastructure was centered in the city of Mariupol, and is now a pile of rubble.

It gets worse, the remaining 20% is produced in China, who is obviously getting a bit testy with our efforts to shut them out of the semiconductor industry.

The industrial capacity to make our own neon will take a minimum of 5 years to build. And that is just one component of hundreds of supply chain links that are breaking down as the US no longer has the capacity, much less the willpower to protect global shipping. Between weapons manufacturing, cars, smart phones, AI, and all the other things our society needs recreational videogames are very low on the list of priorities for a long time. High prices for little advancement.

If you want a YouTube rabbit hole to fall down check out Peter Zeihan. The man knows his shit about geo politics.

Sanepar

Sticking with my 12900KS for… a long time. Have a feeling it’ll get me into 2028 or 2029 when there’s something on consoles actually pushing CPU compute.
Next intel will be a node change and new arch so probably will have a decent jump.

Top Bottom