• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel plans to increase prices by up to 20%

winjer

Gold Member

According to recent Asian reports, Intel is contemplating price hikes for many of its products. Intel Xeon and Intel Core CPUs for desktop PCs, laptops, and servers will soon be offered at greater costs.

Intel would then pass on the additional expenses from the manufacturing chain. Uncertainty remains surrounding the magnitude of price rises. It is anticipated to be in the double digits or high single digits. In some instances, price rises of up to 20% are possible. Intel does not comment publicly on these rumors. The price hikes may take effect in the fall of 2022. High inflation, mainly owing to increased energy prices and supply constraints continue to wreak havoc on the semiconductor sector.

In Europe, the effects of inflation are especially pronounced: As a result of the conflict in Ukraine and the frosty ties with Russia, for instance, the euro is presently worth precisely one US dollar. In addition to Intel, other firms are likely to increase their costs. Both business-to-business and business-to-consumer commerce will be affected.

Bad news for anyone planning an upgrade after the fall of 2022.
We can only hope that AMD don't get the same idea.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
fuck that. after all that nvidia shit i decided i'm done with PC gaming. i suppose if Intel/AMD are going to start hiking CPU prices then that's the final nail in the coffin.

i'll use my PC until it's not good and then fuck it i'll just go buy a Xbox for £400-450 and that'll do. Shit, i could even get myself a PS5 too and still save myself money. I'm going back to consoles.

Jennings

I don't expect them to take a loss if their expenses keep going up. They don't run a charity, so if this is what they need to do to run a business then I can't fault them for adapting to inflation.

Jinzo Prime

fuck that. after all that nvidia shit i decided i'm done with PC gaming. i suppose if Intel/AMD are going to start hiking CPU prices then that's the final nail in the coffin.

i'll use my PC until it's not good and then fuck it i'll just go buy a Xbox for £400-450 and that'll do. Shit, i could even get myself a PS5 too and still save myself money. I'm going back to consoles.
Im sure this won't effect future consoles at all
/s

Imtjnotu

Vaseline Hml407 GIF by truTV’s Hack My Life

Get ready yall

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA

AMD and Intel doesn't care which platform you are gonna play on.

You are still giving them money either way.

Smiggs

I was hoping to build a new PC next year, too... ugh. I'm really starting to worry about what the PS6/NextBox will end up costing, too.

Pejo

I mean 20% increase is a large increase to hit all at once, agreed, but this isn't one of those things I worry all that much about compared to stuff like beef and gasoline. You buy one new CPU every what, 3-5 years if you're ambitious?

That said, I can't say I've ever seen hyperinflation like this in my lifetime. Kinda crazy when you see how averages wages haven't gone up barely at all.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
doesnt matter, You dont need to buy a new cpu every 2-3 years like you use to anyway.

ReBurn

Gold Member
For Q1 2022, Intel had a net income increase of 142% YoY.

That's not due to product sales, though. It was due to other activity that doesn't happen regularly.

For the first quarter of 2022, Intel booked $18.4B in revenue, a drop of 7% from the year-ago quarter. Buffering the company against this revenue drop on a GAAP basis has been an improvement in both operating income and net income, both of which benefitted from some one-off restructuring and investment gains (McAfee equity sale). As a result, Intel booked $8.1B in net income on a GAAP basis, which is a 141% improvement on the year. Otherwise, stripping things back to non-GAAP financials, things more closely mirror the overall revenue picture with a 35% decline in income.
This is why they are considering price increases.

A.Romero

That's the nature of the beast.

While everything will be more expensive, I doubt 20% is applied all across the board. AMD has a very competent offering now for laptops and desktops, ARM offerings for datacenters are becoming more and more popular. Their GPU offering doesn't seem to be anything special. They can't just increase prices blindly. They will have to take all of that into account to decide where and how much to increase.

Personally I'm more concerned about power requirements for net gen. I'm still running on a 8600K and want to upgrade to gen 12 but don't really want to have a 350W CPU, much less if I have to pair it to a high draw GPU as well from Nvidia.

expected it. already built my new pc 2 months ago. only lacking is a gpu, still with a 2080 but eh..with dlss/fsr should be fine for a while.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Im sure this won't effect future consoles at all
/s
oh wow i totally never thought of that at all!

/s

a console is like £450 and it'll last me an entire generation. if next gen consoles are £540 and i can keep that for 7-8 years then it's still much cheaper than building a PC.

kiphalfton

AMD will do the same, I guarantee it.

This. People always think AMD will undercut Nvidia... but it's never to the extent people expect (i.e. they beat Nvidia by like 5%). Same will go for their pricing relative to intel's pricing. That's the problem with having only two players in the game. But then again that's assuming if there's more players in the game, they are playing fair, which usually isn't the case (i.e. price collusion). When that happens they screw consumers in order to make higher profits.

Last edited:
They wouldn't be saying this if amd were planning on keeping costs down.

It can't get as bad as the old Intel extreme/has well E chips. The haswell E 8 core 5960x was 1000 dollars

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
doesnt matter, You dont need to buy a new cpu every 2-3 years like you use to anyway.
Yup.
9700+, 10400+,11400+ and 12400+ CPUs should be well worthy to easily ride the generation.
As long as you are aiming for 60 most of us should be sweet.

When the PS6 is a rumor Ill think about upgrading from a 12th gen to 18th gen or whatever

Three

They wouldn't be saying this if amd were planning on keeping costs down.

It can't get as bad as the old Intel extreme/has well E chips. The haswell E 8 core 5960x was 1000 dollars
Based on what? There is a chip shortage and inflation and Intel are increasing prices. It's a supply and demand thing they predict they can get away with regardless of what AMD does.

Last edited:
Based on what? There is a chip shortage and inflation and Intel are increasing prices. It's a supply and demand thing they predict they can get away with regardless of what AMD does.
Based on... They have to compete with amd prices? You may not have noticed but Intel really brought prices down starting with 10th generation

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
First I need to see if Intel raised wages for their employees, before I get outraged.

Three

Based on... They have to compete with amd prices? You may not have noticed but Intel really brought prices down starting with 10th generation
Nvidia prices are way above AMD and nvidia compete fine. Intel because of the shortage of chips and inflation can get away with charging 20% more and still get away with it. AMD don't have to be planning anything for intel to make this move.

Last edited:

Ellery

Intel's plans to increase price by 20% miraculously go hand in hand with my rejuvenated plans of not buying Intel or BMW.

I mean 20% increase is a large increase to hit all at once, agreed, but this isn't one of those things I worry all that much about compared to stuff like beef and gasoline. You buy one new CPU every what, 3-5 years if you're ambitious?

That said, I can't say I've ever seen hyperinflation like this in my lifetime. Kinda crazy when you see how averages wages haven't gone up barely at all.

I don't know where you are from, but hyperinflation is an overused youtube hype word used for clicks. It is a real term, but we are pretty far away from actual hyperinflation.

We are at 9.1% yearly in the US (officially reported) and hyperinflation would be a yearly 12874.63%.

Pejo

Intel's plans to increase price by 20% miraculously go hand in hand with my rejuvenated plans of not buying Intel or BMW.

I don't know where you are from, but hyperinflation is an overused youtube hype word used for clicks. It is a real term, but we are pretty far away from actual hyperinflation.

We are at 9.1% yearly in the US (officially reported) and hyperinflation would be a yearly 12874.63%.
yea I was more or less using the word to talk about the sudden spike in products and services across the board. You're correct in that I should not have been using that word specifically. Still, I haven't seen such sudden noticeable price hikes at any single point in my life before, it's mostly been very gradual.

Nvidia prices are way above AMD and nvidia compete fine. Intel because of the shortage of chips and inflation can get away with charging 20% more and still get away with it. AMD don't have to be planning anything for intel to make this move.
Unfortunately, Intel doesn't have that hypnotized market mindshare they used to, and like Nvidia still has. All the momma Lisa Su memes stem from the cpu division doing so well, not graphics.

As an Intel shareholder, hey, that'd be good for me 😁 But the reality is unless their chips are far above amd, they will have to price competitive. I don't expect Intel to be healthfully on top of amd until meteor/arrow lake architecture.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
hahaha, thanks intel, youre so awesome
now if you don't mind, i'm going to keep playing on my ryzen 5 5600x which consumes less power than 99% of intel CPUs while having similar performance.

hahaha, thanks intel, youre so awesome
now if you don't mind, i'm going to keep playing on my ryzen 5 5600x which consumes less power than 99% of intel CPUs while having similar performance.
Wrong, the 12400 is significantly faster and uses less power than 5600x as per hardware unboxed.

But this happened with amd Ryzen too, it took gamers years to shake off their Intel bias and realize how good Ryzen was, now the reverse will happen.

Top Bottom