• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Internet Mock Desperate Scalpers Who Must Now Sell PS5 Consoles At A Loss

Draugoth

Gold Member
Over on the PlayStation subreddit, redditors have declared the end of PS5 scalping with images showing resellers having to cut their prices. It's a far cry from the time when PS5s were going for hundreds above their RRP on reseller sites.

Taking a look on eBay, TheGamer can see multiple listings for the PlayStation 5 in the $450 to $490 range with the latter for bundles that include God of War Ragnarok. This depression in prices is perhaps the best proof yet that Sony's claims that stock for its console is stable are true. It really is the case that you can pick up a PS5 much more easily nowadays, whether from an official store (where you'll be covered by more robust warranties and returns policies) or through a resale marketplace.

And as you can imagine the sympathy for these scalpers is not exactly immense. Far from it. "I hope he has to go down like $230 for people to buy", said one redditor in reference to the captioned listing. "Would be hilarious". The comment received more than a 1,000 upvotes. Another wrote of their experience with one of these sellers.

"I saw a FB marketplace seller doing this same thing! Around $400 as well, just under retail. However, when I messaged him he told me that was just for the listing and they're actually $500", they revealed before dropping the punchline. "Went to the store that day and got one, at least now I have a warranty".

ReBurn

Gold Member
I have $300 for any scalper who wants to offload a new digital console. You pay shipping. Let's make a deal.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The Office Smirk GIF

This is as satisfying to watch as dumb shits who have garages full of pyramid scheme smoothie drinks that no one wants to buy from them.

Puscifer

The Office Smirk GIF

This is as satisfying to watch as dumb shits who have garages full of pyramid scheme smoothie drinks that no one wants to buy from them.
I only laughed reacted because my friends wife on Facebook is hocking the new "definitely not a new "legal" amphetamine laced weight loss milkshake that'll be banned when the FDA finds out" Herbalife replacement.

I don't have the heart to tell her that she's basically a sucker and that McDonald's at least produces a paycheck every 2 weeks

Last edited:
BTW Verizon is selling them for $460 new, disc version with Dad of War Ragnarok

I finally grabbed a PS5 yesterday because of this sale and holy shit why is this Astro's Playroom thing so adorable and good

I wonder what the venn diagram of crypto invester and scalper looks like.
Two circles.

Scalping actually requires you to put in effort and either go to stores to buy things or run bots on the Internet.

Most crypto investors just want to take 5 seconds to look at memes and get rich.

Gamerguy84

I'd say half or more of gaf had the idea lol. I remember when pre-orders opened. People here stayed up all night to order 3.

Let this be a lesson how not to scalp. Tornado hit my area and power out everywhere. Guy came through with generators in his truck selljng for $3000 a pop. They were worth maybe $1000. Bunch of angry dudes on my street got in argument with and gave him a few shots to the face. Then lit his truck up with bricks. DDefinitely not the way to do it.

madanth

Neo Member
Not here in Canada. Just checked ebay Canada and people still asking for over msrp which is mind blowing considering all the best buys in my area have both the disc and digital for cheaper and you can pick up in store

Soodanim

Gold Member
What I don't understand about scalpers' customers:

My first PS2 died, as did my first PS3. If you're willing to pay scalper prices, that console is likely going to be played a decent amount. On top of that, expensive technology doesn't mean it can't have faults within the warranty period.

I'd never, ever buy from a scalper. I want my warranty.

Poltz

What I don't understand about scalpers' customers:

My first PS2 died, as did my first PS3. If you're willing to pay scalper prices, that console is likely going to be played a decent amount. On top of that, expensive technology doesn't mean it can't have faults within the warranty period.

I'd never, ever buy from a scalper. I want my warranty.
Yeah the warranty is so important I agree.

SJRB

Gold Member
always-sunny.gif

Oh, oh I'm sorry? Are you having massive financial losses because you tried to scalp? Is someone losing a lot of money because they were trying to scalp?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I dont know what the failure rate is for consoles in year one, but I'd never buy gadgets like consoles from eBay kinds of dudes. You get no warranty.

Lasha

I dont know what the failure rate is for consoles in year one, but I'd never buy gadgets like consoles from eBay kinds of dudes. You get no warranty.

Really important aspect to consider before entering the grey market. Ebay won't get you shit beyond what's in the description.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Old ps5 model
No or reduced warranty
Still 400
Seriously?! F scalpers.

The problem is that in my area you still can’t buy ps5 by itself. The biggest scalpers are retailers like media markt. Everything is bundled. Yeah we have ps5 in stock but only with controller, headphones and 2 games.

mrmustard

Banned
The problem is that in my area you still can’t buy ps5 by itself. The biggest scalpers are retailers like media markt. Everything is bundled. Yeah we have ps5 in stock but only with controller, headphones and 2 games.
That bundle shit really sucks, but seemingly Sony started this. In 2022 it was almost impossible to get a PS5 without FW, GOW or GT7 no matter what retailer. A person who works at MediaMarktSaturn Retail Group said in one of the availability deals that it was an order from Sony.

But i can't believe they are still doing it in some countries. Where i live it's no problem to get just the PS5 for 450/550 at Media Markt.

The second the situation improved scalpers should have reduced their prices to MSRP, but even then some tried (and probably quite often suceeded) with 100+ markups. Dumbasses, all of them, and their customers too.

Top Bottom