• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Introducing Backbone One – PlayStation Edition, an officially licensed controller for PlayStation

Flutta

Banned
ryan reynolds hd GIF

FrankWza

Oh I see. Isn't that the fault of the person buying a Samsung Fold 4 then? It looks like a great phone though.
Well the adapter is supposed to adapt :messenger_beaming:
There are Bluetooth versions that I guess are OK but are possibly laggy Sleepwalker Sleepwalker ?. But the phone supports 120hz and its a nice big screen that would be awesome to play games on.

Ev1L AuRoN

It's just a lot better. The only reason Playstation keeps using the symmetrical layout for sticks is because its iconic.

And for the inevitable people looking respond with "Symmetrical sticks are better!" I want you to know that you're wrong and it makes me very upset.
Allow me to disagree. It's not a matter of better or worse, but of preference. The thumbstick placement doesn't give any advantage, otherwise the right one would be on top since it requires more precision for aiming.

Rykan

Allow me to disagree. It's not a matter of better or worse, but of preference. The thumbstick placement doesn't give any advantage, otherwise the right one would be on top since it requires more precision for aiming.
Preference is highly subjective, and for a lot of people, it is based on the controller they grew up with. That being said, stating that the Xbox controller is ergonomically superior is a factual statement. It makes more sense to position the most frequently used input for character movement, which is constantly utilized, in the natural resting spot of the left thumb.

Arguing that the right thumb stick should follow the same placement is flawed. While this would be reasonable if designing a controller specifically for shooters, controllers are general input devices not tailored to any particular genre. The importance of the right stick versus the face buttons and their placement in the primary position varies significantly across genres. Some genres rely more on the right stick, while others make greater use of the face buttons.

Another reason why placing the right stick in the same position is not simple relates to the space occupied by the face buttons on the controller. Moving them to the position of the right stick would require either a complete redesign of the controller or reducing the size of the buttons to accommodate that space. If you have ever held a Steam controller, you would quickly realize why this solution is not ideal.

With the exception of PlayStation, nearly every major system released in the past few decades has employed offset stick placement. Sony themselves openly acknowledged that they stick to their iconic design purely for aesthetic reasons.

Ev1L AuRoN

Preference is highly subjective, and for a lot of people, it is based on the controller they grew up with. That being said, stating that the Xbox controller is ergonomically superior is a factual statement. It makes more sense to position the most frequently used input for character movement, which is constantly utilized, in the natural resting spot of the left thumb.

Arguing that the right thumb stick should follow the same placement is flawed. While this would be reasonable if designing a controller specifically for shooters, controllers are general input devices not tailored to any particular genre. The importance of the right stick versus the face buttons and their placement in the primary position varies significantly across genres. Some genres rely more on the right stick, while others make greater use of the face buttons.

Another reason why placing the right stick in the same position is not simple relates to the space occupied by the face buttons on the controller. Moving them to the position of the right stick would require either a complete redesign of the controller or reducing the size of the buttons to accommodate that space. If you have ever held a Steam controller, you would quickly realize why this solution is not ideal.

With the exception of PlayStation, nearly every major system released in the past few decades has employed offset stick placement. Sony themselves openly acknowledged that they stick to their iconic design purely for aesthetic reasons.
My point is, why the tumbstick at the bottom is a problem to the left joystick but not the right one?

Crayon

Still skeptical when anyone has an emphatic preference for stick placement. It takes literally zero time to get used to switching between the two and any argument for one being mechanically better than the other has been a mad reach.

My point is, why the tumbstick at the bottom is a problem to the left joystick but not the right one?
If you really want to spice things up, ask him why this ‘factual’ opinion about the left thumb stick didn’t happen until after the Xbox 360 came out. Because remember, the Dreamcast had an upper left stick. Same with some of the more popular PC controllers at the time and the GameCube and Duke controller. Yet there were many who said they were all inferior to the stick placement of the great PlayStation 2 controllers. Crayon Crayon ‘s post above is spot on.

…and they’re going to deny this too.

Last edited:

Ok so if that top position is so superior why isnt there a pro controller that has the right stick in the top position?

Last edited:

Rykan

Because it's not a problem. Nobody is going to pick up a Playstation controller and be like “This stick placement is garbage, I can't play my games like this!” right? We're just discussing here which layout is better. It's very unlikely to be a dealbreaker for anyone or hinder anyones enjoyment.

If you really want to spice things up, ask him why this ‘factual’ opinion about the left thumb stick didn’t happen until after the Xbox 360 came out. Because remember, the Dreamcast had an upper left stick. Same with some of the more popular PC controllers at the time and the GameCube and Duke controller. Yet there were many who said they were all inferior to the stick placement of the great PlayStation 2 controllers. Crayon Crayon ‘s post above is spot on.

…and they’re going to deny this too.
You can just quote my post and ask me yourself, mate.

Though, I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make here? What do you mean “didn't happen until after the Xbox 360 game out”? Left side stick placement has been the standard for most consoles after the PS1. Dreamcast, Gamecube, Xbox, etc. Pretty much every single non Playstation console uses left side stick placement.

Ok so if that top position is so superior why isnt there a pro controller that has the right stick in the top position?
Why would you assume that none of that applies to a pro controller?

Last edited:

Rykan

You know damn well that most pro controllers are used for FPS. so why dont you answer the question I asked instead of playing dumb.
The fact that they are often used for FPS does not mean that they are designed exclusively for FPS. I'm sorry, but this is just a bad argument you're trying to push here.

StereoVsn

Has anyone gotten this? Was going to grab in leu of Portal.
I got it and returned it. The controller itself is alright, but i couldn't get my 15 Pro Max in a thin case to fit in the USB C model and I can't be bothered to keep taking off the case each time. Overall the controller was pretty solid, buttons felt good and ergonomics was at least better vs GameSir and Razer telescoping controllers I've tried. Not nearly as good as a proper Xbox or PS4/5 Controller (especially Dual Sense).

iHaunter

I got it and returned it. The controller itself is alright, but i couldn't get my 15 Pro Max in a thin case to fit in the USB C model and I can't be bothered to keep taking off the case each time. Overall the controller was pretty solid, buttons felt good and ergonomics was at least better vs GameSir and Razer telescoping controllers I've tried. Not nearly as good as a proper Xbox or PS4/5 Controller (especially Dual Sense).
Might take my S23 Ultra to a store and see if it fits with the case on. This is why I stopped using the Razer controller.

StereoVsn

Might take my S23 Ultra to a store and see if it fits with the case on. This is why I stopped using the Razer controller.
It’s not going to fit for sure. I had S22 Ultra before the iPhone and it was about the same size as S23U and larger than the 15 Pro Max.

I also tried the Razer Kishi and GameSir with that one as well. Unfortunately only couple Bluetooth controllers look to fit with case on and they kind of suck.

CGNoire

Using this argument as a basis and considering the enormous ratio of games that also utilize the right stick for camera controls compared to those that don't, it would mean that the Wii U controller had the perfect layout and design.

Nintendo-Wii-U-Pro-Controller-Black.jpg

However, when this data is brought up, asymmetrical stick Xbox players will move goalposts, backtrack, and argue otherwise, because they don't want to admit that the Wii U, of all consoles, had the most perfectly designed controller. So the entire controller conversation becomes as ridiculous as it's conception.
Actualy a vast majority of games now seem to be 3rd person where you spend most of your time with your right thumb on the face buttons. Its about the best balance between genres and for that Asymmetry wins hands down.

Now if you only play 1st person games exclusivly or most of the time then the wii U is the superior design clearly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom