• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Introducing the next generation of VR on PlayStation

This sounds good. Excited for adding hopefully dualsense features in the new vr controller but still need to connect with a cord? Was hoping for wireless unless it's due to latency issues , then I can see why. We'll have to wait and see.

Romulus

A mobile chip inferior to a PS4 in power will not match PS5VR. The console uses 200W in games and Quest runs on a battery. Maybe in 10 years we will have a Quest with PS5 capabilities.

They'll just move the goalposts at that point. "But PC compatibility!" This is true, but at that point, you have a different setup.

Last edited:
If the setup is really easy, the resolution and fov are good, the controllers are precise and fun to use then I even might buy PS VR2.

I hope Half Life Alyx will be ported to it.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Brilliant news. I was hoping it was going to be wireless but a PS5 powered VR is an enticing prospect.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Do you mean you'd want a standalone PSVR with the processor in the headset (a la Quest) or that they should find a way to wirelessly transmit the data from PS5 to the headset?

Because I don't know hardware tech but I feel like the latter solution would introduce lag that would be unacceptable in a VR setting and could potentially cause nausea. Of course I could be wrong about that, I don't know.

To fully utilize the PS5's power and keep the cost acceptable it seems like the compromise is a wire. I don't like it, but I understand it.
I just want the wireless part. Processing should remain with the PS5.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I mean different companies doing different things. At the end of the day it's just my expectations. Not a big deal
From what we know so far the wireless dream is dead anyway. I’m still excited to see PSVR2.

CamHostage

Wireless, Sony...

Wireless.

I seem to remember a bunch of people saying the next PSVR headset was the reason for the WiFi6 inclusion in the PS5. Ah well. That said, I have no doubt it'll be a great piece of hardware for those who enjoy VR.

It's not the reason. (Other than cost, there's not much reason not to have Wi-Fi6 now that it's available; AX has been out a little bit and WiFI6 is just a renaming of that.) Strong, up-to-date Wi-Fi is core to everything a console would do online wirelessly.

It would have been the reason if the PS5 included Wi-Fi6E, which is basically an extra Wifi bandwith (6GHz) that's only good for short distances but is incredibly good over those short distances and would make wires essentially pointless. Would have been perfect for wireless VR or a PSP-type in-home controller.

Doing wireless VR with just Wi-Fi6 is still doable (people are already doing it with their Quest 2s.) I don't know though how strong the PS5's onboard Wi-Fi gear is to support that level of performance?

(Sony could technically build a PSVR box that's a Wi-Fi 6E module or just a 6GHz connector if that was a determining factor between wired or wireless, but I don't know what the pricepoint would be on that, plus you'd need a second Wi-Fi 6E/6GHz chip in the headset as well so it'd add two costs.)

A mobile chip inferior to a PS4 in power will not match PS5VR. The console uses 200W in games and Quest runs on a battery. Maybe in 10 years we will have a Quest with PS5 capabilities.

We're not talking about a self-contained VR headset; we're talking about a PSVR where the IO is Wi-Fi instead of Wired.

PSVR2 would still be a PS5 accessory, it'd still only work in your home (though I have heard of some people trying to log into their PC VR over the internet.) Not like Quest 2 where it can do either internal game processing or tethered-to-PC play.

Wireless PSVR would still need enough hardware to do
A. all the basic video signal processing of two high-resolution displays at 60-120FPS (which it needs either way),
B. a Wi-Fi chip for a local remote connection, and
C. a battery.

So, all told, it would be more costly (and heavier) than a headset that's just a playback-and-motionsensing device, but I don't believe it would have to be Quest 2-level hadware specs in order for the headset to be viable. It'd need a good video processor, but not all the rest of the gaming hardware since PS5 handles running the game.

Last edited:

Rudius

Wireless, Sony...

Wireless.

It's not the reason. (Other than cost, there's not much reason not to have Wi-Fi6 now that it's available; AX has been out a little bit and WiFI6 is just a renaming of that.) Strong, up-to-date Wi-Fi is core to everything a console would do online wirelessly.

It would have been the reason if the PS5 included Wi-Fi6E, which is basically an extra Wifi bandwith (6GHz) that's only good for short distances but is incredibly good over those short distances and would make wires essentially pointless. Would have been perfect for wireless VR or a PSP-type in-home controller.

Doing wireless VR with just Wi-Fi6 is still doable (people are already doing it with their Quest 2s.) I don't know though how strong the PS5's onboard Wi-Fi gear is to support that level of performance?

(Sony could technically build a PSVR box that's a Wi-Fi 6E module or just a 6GHz connector if that was a determining factor between wired or wireless, but I don't know what the pricepoint would be on that, plus you'd need a second Wi-Fi 6E/6GHz chip in the headset as well so it'd add two costs.)

We're not talking about a self-contained VR headset; we're talking about a PSVR where the IO is Wi-Fi instead of Wired.

PSVR2 would still be a PS5 accessory, it'd still only work in your home (though I have heard of some people trying to log into their PC VR over the internet.) Not like Quest 2 where it can do either internal game processing or tethered-to-PC play.

Wireless PSVR would still need enough hardware to do
A. all the basic video signal processing of two high-resolution displays at 60-120FPS (which it needs either way),
B. a Wi-Fi chip for a local remote connection, and
C. a battery.

So, all told, it would be more costly (and heavier) than a headset that's just a playback-and-motionsensing device, but I don't believe it would have to be Quest 2-level hadware specs in order for the headset to be viable. It'd need a good video processor, but not all the rest of the gaming hardware since PS5 handles running the game.

They can still release a wireless version for more money later. Just plug a transmitter on the USB port and there you go. But I think it is smart to release the wired version as standard, simply because it will be cheaper and lead to a bigger install base, which is what matters in the end.

CamHostage

They can still release a wireless version for more money later. Just plug a transmitter on the USB port and there you go. But I think it is smart to release the wired version as standard, simply because it will be cheaper and lead to a bigger install base, which is what matters in the end.

Maybe, but they already released a wired VR for PlayStation 5 as standard... it's called PSVR.

Sell the controllers, so we don't need to settle for Move and the PS Camera, and that's that. There's seemingly nothing so far in the news about this new PSVR that's an evolutionary jump (unless they change the sensor array and/or add a camera inside PSVR2,) it's just brighter and clearer and wider and betterer according to this blog. It'd be hard to get new users excited in it (do a product refresh with new screens and whatnot, and drop the price) but otherwise, that's your cheap, entry-level VR headset.

(And yet PSVR costs $299, the same as a base model of Oculus Quest 2...)

There's no rush to release a PlayStation VR device, IMO, other than that they said they were going to do one. The PSVR that gamers have works with PS4 and PS5, and the market isn't exactly running wild looking to snap up any and all VR entertainment they can get their hands on. Better to release a device that creates new demand rather than one trying to satisfy the current, limited demand. I don't mean to be constantly comparing (I don't own an Oculus, so I have no personal interest,) but Quest 2 invigorated the market last year, and people who had never played VR and even barely played games were attracted to it. That is, I believe, the impact a new PlayStation VR should be aiming for.

Last edited:

Rudius

Maybe, but they already released a wired VR for PlayStation 5 as standard... it's called PSVR.

Sell the controllers, so we don't need to settle for Move and the PS Camera, and that's that. There's seemingly nothing so far in the news about this new PSVR that's an evolutionary jump (unless they change the sensor array and/or add a camera inside PSVR2,) it's just brighter and clearer and wider and betterer according to this blog. It'd be hard to get new users excited in it (do a product refresh with new screens and whatnot, and drop the price) but otherwise, that's your cheap, entry-level VR headset.

(And yet PSVR costs $299, the same as a base model of Oculus Quest 2...)

There's no rush to release a PlayStation VR device, IMO, other than that they said they were going to do one. The PSVR that gamers have works with PS4 and PS5, and the market isn't exactly running wild looking to snap up any and all VR entertainment they can get their hands on. Better to release a device that creates new demand rather than one trying to satisfy the current, limited demand. I don't mean to be constantly comparing (I don't own an Oculus, so I have no personal interest,) but Quest 2 invigorated the market last year, and people who had never played VR and even barely played games were attracted to it. That is, I believe, the impact a new PlayStation VR should be aiming for.
PSVR is ancient technology. In this news they mention higher resolution, higher field of view, improved tracking (ps camera suck), new controlers (moves suck) with dualsense features, single cable meaning inside-out tracking.

CamHostage

PSVR is ancient technology. In this news they mention higher resolution, higher field of view, improved tracking (ps camera suck), new controlers (moves suck) with dualsense features, single cable meaning inside-out tracking.

I would argue that wired VR is rapidly being identified as "ancient technology"...

But yes, higher resolution, higher field of view, brighter, clearer, wider, betterer. That's all fine, but if they're just making a new PSVR to get a new&improved™ regular PSVR product on the market, they will once again fail to upsell PSVR to consumers who have been hesitant to get into VR (much less convincing the consumers who say they have no interest in VR.) Maybe the new input tracking and these comfy new ergonomic controllers will be a plus (they had a hard time trying to convince people that holding lightbulbs in their hands was "the future"...) but better visuals aren't going to do it when you could barely get people to put the headset on back when VR was hot.

If the competition is doing something new and it's working while PlayStation VR is doing more of the same, there will be no competition and ultimately I believe there will be no PlayStation VR.

You said it would be smart for Sony to get a wired version on the market to increase the install base (assuming it's cheaper, which is questionable since the competition's wireless, stand-alone device is the same price as old-and-busted PSVR1.) I'm saying, if they don't put out something that compels the audience (and it doesn't have to be wireless, but hot damn did that ever work for Quest 2, and not only is it a cool gimmick, wire-free is also by virtually all accounts the very best way to enjoy virtual reality,) they'll be chasing an install base of ghosts.

Last edited:

You don't understand.

The Quest 2 also has the ability to play PC games wirelessly, so there's no reason why a PSVR2 couldn't connect to a PS5 wirelessly too.

Pantz

Gold Member
Good to hear. I wasn't sure about their thoughts on continuing with VR.

Hope it can be backwards compatible with PS4VR games.

RGB'D

Not a fan of VR as it stands, but Sony had the best iteration and strongest VR software last gen so I'm curious to see where they go next.
I'm confused. What titles were stronger than boneworks and half life alyx? I do appreciate PSVR for introducing me to VR but the upgrade to PC VR (Index) was a revelation.

skit_data

This will probably be what makes me hop on the VR-train.
720p was just not enough when the viewing distance is about half an inch. I decided to skip PSVR but I also decided that if Sony were to release one for PS5 I would buy it.

cyberheater

Yeah. You don’t get it. The only processing power the headset would need is to be able to convert a WiFi transmission to a image and sound. Any mobile chipset would be able to do that.

kyliethicc

So far, here's my guess on what it'll be spec wise:

PSVR 2
November 2022 launch, ~ $500 price

~ 6 inch (15 cm) OLED RGB (HDR?)
2560x1440p res (1280x1440 per eye)
~ 120° FOV, 120 Hz refresh
microphone, accelerometer, gyroscope
USB-C port, 3.5 mm audio port
  • works with PS5 only (not PS4)
    • plays PS5 VR games
    • cannot be used to play old PS4 VR games ?
  • inside out tracking ?
  • connects to PS5's USB-C port, via a USB-C cable
  • new PSVR 2 controller(s)
    • same core buttons as DualSense
    • haptics & adaptive triggers
    • finger tracking ?
  • Tempest 3D audio
  • DualSense support
Includes:
PSVR 2 headset, USB-C to USB-C cable, wired stereo earbuds .. and the PSVR 2 controller(s) also ?

I hope there's no need for any external sensors or cameras to set up. And nothing else extra needed to buy to use it, just included everything in the box for like $500. PSVR was "only $400" but we still had to buy the camera and move controllers.

I also think to play old PS4 VR games on PS5, you'll have to use the old PSVR1 hardware. And then they will port over some big older PS4 VR games like Astro Bot and Beat Saber to have new PS5 native versions that can be played on PSVR2. I bet the only way to play VR games on the new headset with the new controller will be if the game is a PS5 VR game. Thats why currently PS5 games do not support VR at all, and why the current PSVR headset only works with PS4 games, even on PS5. Maybe they'll even do a PS Plus collection thing at launch, with like 10 PSVR games getting new next gen PS5 native re-releases to be playable on the new PSVR 2.

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
I thought Microsoft have produced a ar/vr unit with no wires? Or have I got that wrong.
Hololens? It's $3000 and not really good for games. It's mostly for AR, not VR.

The moves were great.. when they launched 15 years ago..

~ 6 inch (15 cm) OLED RGB (HDR?)
2560x1440p res (1280x1440 per eye)
If the PSVR2 is coming with that resolution then I'll probably pass.
Let's hope it's significantly higher than that. All the new headsets are coming with a much higher pixel density.

kyliethicc

Hololens? It's $3000 and not really good for games. It's mostly for AR, not VR.

The moves were great.. when they launched 15 years ago..

If the PSVR2 is coming with that resolution then I'll probably pass.
Let's hope it's significantly higher than that. All the new headsets are coming with a much higher pixel density.
The Valve Index is 2880 x 1600 @ 120/144 Hz .. but it costs $1000.

The Oculus Quest 2 is $300/$400 and 3664 x 1920 but @ only 90 Hz. (And requires facebook.)

PSVR 2 will be like $400 or $500. 2560 x 1440 @ 120 Hz is good enough. Maybe it'll be higher, who knows.

Personally, I'll take 1440p@120 Hz over 1920p@90 Hz. And PSVR 2 will be 120 Hz, guaranteed.

Plus, most PS5 games will be running at 1080p to 1440p anyways, if going for 120 Hz.

Rudius

I would argue that wired VR is rapidly being identified as "ancient technology"...

But yes, higher resolution, higher field of view, brighter, clearer, wider, betterer. That's all fine, but if they're just making a new PSVR to get a new&improved™ regular PSVR product on the market, they will once again fail to upsell PSVR to consumers who have been hesitant to get into VR (much less convincing the consumers who say they have no interest in VR.) Maybe the new input tracking and these comfy new ergonomic controllers will be a plus (they had a hard time trying to convince people that holding lightbulbs in their hands was "the future"...) but better visuals aren't going to do it when you could barely get people to put the headset on back when VR was hot.

If the competition is doing something new and it's working while PlayStation VR is doing more of the same, there will be no competition and ultimately I believe there will be no PlayStation VR.

You said it would be smart for Sony to get a wired version on the market to increase the install base (assuming it's cheaper, which is questionable since the competition's wireless, stand-alone device is the same price as old-and-busted PSVR1.) I'm saying, if they don't put out something that compels the audience (and it doesn't have to be wireless, but hot damn did that ever work for Quest 2, and not only is it a cool gimmick, wire-free is also by virtually all accounts the very best way to enjoy virtual reality,) they'll be chasing an install base of ghosts.
To me the apeel PSVR2 will have over something like Quest is similar to what we have with console vs portable: the types of games. I want the PSVR2 to play stuff like GT7 (the full game, please), Resident Evil 8 and Half Life Alyx. I know graphics aren't everything and all that, but those games require and benefit from the power PS5 provides, for a good price and ease of use compared to PC.

Rudius

Yeah. You don’t get it. The only processing power the headset would need is to be able to convert a WiFi transmission to a image and sound. Any mobile chipset would be able to do that.
I was responding to a user comparing it to Quest, which is standalone VR. If you add PC into the equation Quest becomes another PCVR headset, with the added cost and complexity involved.

As for a PS5VR wireless, they haven't even shown the device. Why are people so sure that making a wired version rules out an wireless alternative? What's stopping them from making a dongle to transmit the signal and selling the wireless version for more?

I'm sure they did the calculations and arrived at the conclusion that at first an one wire solution is significantly cheaper as to enable a wider consumer base, which will drive software production.

Last edited:

Nyxir

EF26-CED8-BF5-D-4557-AD74-7-CA2-F58-F606-D.gif

There is very little point to this, just wait until the PS VR titles come to PC and choose from whatever headset on PC matches your budget.
What a silly comment. Been waiting for that RE7 VR for how long now? 4 years and counting? How about Astro Bot? Also, this might be a shock, but not all people wanna game on a PC. Yeah, truly perplexing news, I know. I have a pretty powerful PC (RTX 3080) but the gaming experience sucks so I play on a PS5 instead.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
The Valve Index is 2880 x 1600 @ 120/144 Hz .. but it costs $1000.

The Oculus Quest 2 is $300/$400 and 3664 x 1920 but @ only 90 Hz. (And requires facebook.)
WMR headsets are a better indicator of what you can get for your money without the Oculus or Valve taxes.

The Samsung Odyssey+ is regularly sold for $300 and it has a 90Hz AMOLED 1440*1600 per eye (30% higher pixel density than your proposed 1280*1440p). The HP Reverb is LCD 90Hz 2160x2160 per eye (159% higher density) that sells for $600.
My Lenovo Explorer cost me 180€ on a black friday and it's 90Hz LCD 1440*1440 per eye.

Personally, I'll take 1440p@120 Hz over 1920p@90 Hz. And PSVR 2 will be 120 Hz, guaranteed.

Plus, most PS5 games will be running at 1080p to 1440p anyways, if going for 120 Hz.

I hope Sony doesn't agree with your stance. I notice zero difference in motion when comparing my 120Hz PSVR to my 90Hz Lenovo Explorer.
The PSVR is practically unusable for looking at anything further than ~5 meters away, and with my Lenovo Explorer I had trouble discerning friend from foe in Star Wars Squadrons.

There's a reason Oculus, Valve and HTC are all topping at 90Hz, and it's not because of a displayport bandwidth limitation (DP1.2 is good for 1440p 165Hz and DP1.3 for 1440p 240Hz). It's because their engineers and audience notice a better experience with higher resolution than >90Hz refresh rate (assuming low screen-dor effect).

As for the render resolution on PS5 games.. there's no reason to believe that in VR games. No one is expecting VR games to look like AAA titles on TVs. The most popular PSVR title is Astrobot and I bet the PS5 could run it at 4K120 or more.

Furthermore, if all those patents Sony has on foveated rendering + eye tracking come true on the PSVR2, they should substantially improve VR performance. But for it to work they'll need high resolution panels.

As for a PS5VR wireless, they haven't even shown the device. Why are people so sure that making a wired version rules out an wireless alternative? What's stopping them from making a dongle to transmit the signal and selling the wireless version for more?

I'm sure they did the calculations and arrived at the conclusion that at first a one wire solution is significantly cheaper as to enable a wider consumer base, which will drive software production.
Agreed. Just sell a 60GHz WiGig dongle with a battery pack as an optional extra. There's no need to make the headset more expensive than it needs to be.
Besides, I bet most PSVR2 games will focus on seated VR anyway, where the cable isn't that much of a problem.

Keihart

What i really hope makes the cut techwise it's eye tracking so they can start using Foveated rendering, it's such a waste of resources to render the whole screen in high resolution, twice, when we only watch a very small section of it at the time...it would make so much sense in a console too, it really should take priority over other things because it would boost performance across the generation and over PC VR as well.
They seem to be confirming some form of haptics in the controller which to me sounds pretty cool and would make sense.
Cool stuff, can't wait to say what they do with PSVR 2.

Azurro

Banned
What a silly comment. Been waiting for that RE7 VR for how long now? 4 years and counting? How about Astro Bot? Also, this might be a shock, but not all people wanna game on a PC. Yeah, truly perplexing news, I know. I have a pretty powerful PC (RTX 3080) but the gaming experience sucks so I play on a PS5 instead.

Sony might bring them to PC. Or maybe not very old titles, but the relatively recent ones definitely will. I'm not saying I like it either, but the entire PS philosophy has changed so much that there's no point to getting a PlayStation if you can build a PC.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Yeah I think I'm gonna wait this one out, I wanna library of AAA VR game before purchasing another VR headset

Gusy

I really hope they manage to implement a foveated rendering solution or similar, but what I want the most is the biggest field of view possible. Super exited to see what the ps5 horsepower can bring to the VR table.

n0razi

It would be nice if they could just team up with Oculus or something to work with the Quest 2/3 over USB-C. Having a bunch of redundant gamepads for different systems laying around is one thing but having multiple $300+ VR headsets for different platforms is wasteful.

Romulus

Sony might bring them to PC. Or maybe not very old titles, but the relatively recent ones definitely will. I'm not saying I like it either, but the entire PS philosophy has changed so much that there's no point to getting a PlayStation if you can build a PC.

Their philosophy hasn't changed. PC has gotten old Playstation games for years now. Sony knows that their VR devices needs exclusives to stay relevant, regular PS5 games do not. Itll be popular regardless and PC will continue to get older games after ps5 does. Some at least.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

lol this is gonna be the new dig huh? First it was “vr is dead!” But now it, “ok so it’s not dead, but having a wire makes it obsolete!”

one wire really isn’t a big deal. But I guess vr haters have to have something to complain about. I don’t see these same people praising the quest for its wireless features, or talking about vr in any other threads at all. So many are just itt to hate on it. Oh well, what can you do 🤷‍♂️ Opinions are like assholes and all that...

wireless would be nice tho, I hope they can figure it out. But if not it’s nbd, I’m going to enjoy the upgraded resolution and hopefully they will come up with something better than the motion controllers they released last gen. I’m no Sony fanboy, they’ve got some work to do, but they made vr cheap and accessible to me last gen and it breathed new life into my gaming hobby. I pretty much want everything to be vr now 😂

Shai-Tan

Banned
I wouldn't say that anymore. Quest 2 is selling around a million per month.
PSVR announcement is also important for PCVR because it's kind of dead. games don't translate well from Quest which is like the Switch of VR. PSVR games should be basically the same as PCVR versions and make install base big enough to make it worth it. There's a reason why they're all abandoning PCVR for Quest at the moment

Top Bottom