• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IO Interactive reports record-breaking year driven by Hitman 3

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Hitman developer IO Interactive has released its annual report for 2020/21, reporting record-breaking profits during the last fiscal year.

For the year ending March 31 2021, the company reported revenues of DKK 502 million ($78 million), a 136% increase on the DKK 212.8 million ($33 million) made the year prior.

As part of that, the studio made a profit of DKK 270.6 million ($42 million), compared to a profit of DKK 11.5 million ($1.8 million) during the same period in 2020.

The uptick in profit was largely driven by the release of Hitman 3 in January 2021, which earned 300% of the game's initial sales budget-- something the studio told GamesIndustry.biz earlier this year.

Looking ahead, IO expects revenues for FY2022 to land somewhere between DKK 200 million ($31 million) and DKK 250 million ($38 million).

anthony2690

Banned
Hitman 3 definitely deserves the success, shame about the dlc though.
& Awful cutscenes that look way worst than the in game graphics for some reason, should've done them in engine imo.

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
Good for you Io. Now how about you finally fix the HDR of Hitman 3?!

I'm not giving that company another cent until they do. Advertised on box, broken since launch
It’s a great game so I fixed it myself to be able to play it and enjoy. No more grey blacks, now a proper great looking game :)

Winter John

I've been playing through the new trilogy, having a shit load of fun maxing out the levels. The gameplay value is insane especially now that 1 & 2 are around $15.

Freeman76

Console users don't have that ability it's shameful of Io Interactive to not fix it.
I play it on Series X and its sharp, punchy, in fact visual fidelity is amazing all round. Not sure what you play it on lol.

On topic this is well deserved, amazing game in an amazing series and actually attempts something new for once in the often stagnant world of gaming

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
hitman 3 is great but its still buggy on PS5, not sure about series X.

The audio bug annoys me the most, and some uncommon freezing as well.

I play it on Series X and its sharp, punchy, in fact visual fidelity is amazing all round. Not sure what you play it on lol.

On topic this is well deserved, amazing game in an amazing series and actually attempts something new for once in the often stagnant world of gaming
I play it on ps5 but we're talking about the broken HDR. FYI, HDR is broken on Xbox too. Go play Hitman 1 or 2 and then play Hitman 3 so you cam see the difference.

Io hasn't fixed jack on H3. Hdr and the audio issues on ps5 are two big ones. It's weird they won't fix hdr since H1 and h2 have great hdr.

Fools idol

Banned
the games are so good - I had never touched them until the release of Hitman 3 came with the ability of playing the older games within 3, so I played for the first time start to finish.

It was like a religious experience. I can safely say playing this trillogy through blind for the first time was like discovering chocolate for the first time or something.

The level of complexity and what I can only imagine was a hellscape of QA testing to pull off these missions. There are so many ways to do your challenges that it can feel real at times, so many smal nuances and details can have a big impact on what plays out. It really is a masterclass in level design. Not to mention it's endless fun.. I think one day soon I will be going for the platinum and really 100%ing them all.

I cant think of a single game that gave me that level of immersion either, unless someone else can show me better I think this is peak world immersion.

Last edited:

Freeman76

I play it on ps5 but we're talking about the broken HDR. FYI, HDR is broken on Xbox too. Go play Hitman 1 or 2 and then play Hitman 3 so you cam see the difference.

Io hasn't fixed jack on H3. Hdr and the audio issues on ps5 are two big ones. It's weird they won't fix hdr since H1 and h2 have great hdr.

Im not that fussy mate it looks great to me

vpance

It came out at the right time especially when PS5 owners were starved for games.

But kinda sad they decided to move on from the series to 007. Guess they didn't have high hopes for H3 sales but ended up proven wrong.

Yeah unfortunately its still glitchy on PS5. It also seems to be lacking the post launch support that the previous games got. Still a great game though even if it keeps tryin to get me to install the MF'ing PS4 version!

Derktron

Banned
Hitman is the most amazing game that actually has value when playing the game and has many ways to play the game, this game will always be unique.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Unplayable?

Fuck outta here man!!

Yup, everyone has some little nitpick that they can't get past when it comes to presentation. For some its screen tearing, others super low frame rates, some its Pixel Art games or low resolutions, for me its incorrect brightness level mapping. Hitman 3 is completely borked in its output causing a washed out look with inaccurately rendered colors. Its a bug, one they wont even acknowledge but its talked about enough that there are fixes for it on PC.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

IO Interactive's annual report over the fiscal year 2021/22, which ended on 31st March 2022.

Revenue: DKK 538.02 million (~$78.4m; +7%)
Operating profit: DKK 230.12 million (~$33.5m; -33%)
Profit for the year: DKK 188.95 million (~$27.5m; -30%)

Available cash at the end of the fiscal year grew from DKK 256.2 million (~$37.3m) with DKK 380.5m (~$55.4m) to DKK 636.7m (~$92.7m).

Key highlights:
- Hitman 3 overperformed against expectations in its first year
- Hitman 3 continues to sell well in its second year so far, thanks to the releases on Steam and Game Pass
- Revenue was higher than expected thanks to a content deal with Microsoft for Game Pass, which included a minimum guarantee and a performance bonus

Looking ahead
- FY23 revenue expected somewhere between DKK 450m and 500m, with expected profits before tax somewhere between DKK 250m and 300m.
- Management expects big drops in revenue and profit in FY24 and FY25, due to lack of releases.
- IO Interactive aims to diversify its product line-up through new platforms, namely mobile gaming, and publishing opportunities for the games of other studios.

Top Bottom