• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming September 2016 | I don't have unlimited money

RustyO

Sounds like I really need to go back and finish
(i.e. play)
Banner Saga... I think the combat system didn't really gel with me though.

Concrete Jungle is really fun. Don't be hesitant of you're expecting some kind of city builder. This is a straight-up puzzler with a SimCity-esque aesthetic. Think Tetris meets a deck-builder. You need to carefully place buildings to meet point requirements and clear columns. Different card types and skills offer different strategies, and you need to think moves ahead to effectively solve campaign challenges

nikos

Having trouble finding a game that can really hook me lately.

A lot of these F2P games follow the same exact model, so I end up quitting during the tutorial. Some are fun, but I can't decide which to play since they're all so similar.

I do have many premium games as well, but have lost interest in them. Any recommendations? Something with online co-op would be great. On the other hand, I would also like a game that's playable offline since my commute is mostly underground.

A lot of these F2P games follow the same exact model, so I end up quitting during the tutorial. Some are fun, but I can't decide which to play since they're all so similar.

I do have many premium games as well, but have lost interest in them. Any recommendations? Something with online co-op would be great. On the other hand, I would also like a game that's playable offline since my commute is mostly underground.
What genres do you enjoy?

PittaGAF

I've just installed SteamWorld Heist Beta and it looks very promising!

I saw the steam version just twice and I admit I wasn't that big fan of the setting, but the port is, indeed, GLORIOUS (played a couple of hours).
Graphics and controls are amazing imho and for a change, it's perfectly suited to touch devices.

TOO.
MANY.
AWSOME.
GAMES.

awp69

Holy crap is the overhaul of Ire incredible. Graphics are beyond belief. New interface is wonderful. Combat is quicker (even if I did like the slower Dark Souls weighty feel -- this is kind of in between a standard ARPG and DS).

Menus, new world map, new combos and a backstab move. Probably just scratching the surface.

Can't comment yet on how the balance has been tweaked and if IAPs are essential or just there to make the game easier to progress. That said, I know for sure I will be buying something to support this amazing dev.

I encourage any fans of the genre to check it out -- even if it didn't click with you previously. The game has incredible depth and, at least for me, probably the most satisfying combat on iOS.

And did I mention how beautiful it is? :)

It's GLORIOUS!

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

nothing better than Vainglory: online co-op, tight gameplay, compelling hooks.

it does require online though, which is the only downside there.

it's f2p so i suggest downloading it, and giving the Battle Royale mode a few tries. you'll likely need to take a few minutes to figure out the character you've been given for that round, but once it clicks it CLICKS.

i've been playing it exclusively, non stop for months at this point.

Love this game's animations (Humqn Fishbowl, currently in development)

HumqnFishbowlClip.gif

nikos

nothing better than Vainglory: online co-op, tight gameplay, compelling hooks.

it does require online though, which is the only downside there.

it's f2p so i suggest downloading it, and giving the Battle Royale mode a few tries. you'll likely need to take a few minutes to figure out the character you've been given for that round, but once it clicks it CLICKS.

i've been playing it exclusively, non stop for months at this point.

Tried it a while back but haven't been able to get into MOBAs. Just downloaded it again to give it another shot.

All genres, really. I know that doesn't help at all.
Puzzle
The Room series
Hexcell series
Perfect Paths
Unmatch
Icebreaker
Helsing's Fire
RYB
Snakebird
Telepaint
Touchtone
Hero Emblems
Blockwick 2
Shapist
Makenines
Supersharp
Swapperoo
Rop
Voi
Concrete Jungle
Twisted Lines
Huetopia
Zip Zap

Adventure/Interactive Fiction/Word
Lumino City
Sorcery series
80 Days
Ryan North's To Be Or Not To Be
Heavy Metal Thunder
Samorost 3
Tormentum
Hadean Lands
Blackbar
Grayout
Dead Synchronicity
Open Sorcery
Spell Rift
1979 Revolution
Love You To Bits

Action/Arcade
Space Marshals 2
Sky Force Reloaded
Wayward Souls
Downwell
A Ride Into The Mountains
99 Bricks
Circa Infinity
Leap of Fate
Hyperburner
Barrier X
Chameleon Run
The Light Inside Us
Blown Away: Secret of the Wind
Power Hover

Roguelike/Card games
Enyo
Imbroglio
Reigns
Solitarica
Dream Quest
Frost
868-Hack
Card Quest
Road Not Taken
Hyperrogue
Crypt of the Necrodancer
Guild of Dungeoneering
Pixel Dungeon

RPG/Tactical/Strategy
Galactic Keep
Ember
Door Kickers
Siralim 2
Empire: Deck Building Strategy
Autumn Dynasty Warlords
Lost Frontier
Warbits
7 Mages
9th Dawn 2
Battlelore Command
Subterfuge
Severed
Dungeon Warfare
Redcon
This War of Mine
Teeny Titans
Rebuild 3
Dungeon of the Endless

Racing
Horizon Chase
Rush Rally 2

Other
Dark Echo
A Dark Room
Verreciel
Beacon 38

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Tried it a while back but haven't been able to get into MOBAs. Just downloaded it again to give it another shot.

it's why i suggest playing Battle Royale (90% of my gametime is here)

it strips away everything except the cool team fights & pushing forward

PittaGAF

I never had so many active games in my life, surely in the last years.
I'm almost topping old glorious Commodore 64 days.

I open my devices and I really don't know what to play.

Doesn't help it took me almost a hour last night to decide which Banner Saga save to pick up.

Glorious times to be an iOS gamer.

killercow

Yeah.
Actually it really seems native, and it's incredibly polished too.

It's really one hell of a port and a game I gladly buy for 20€ (the price it's going for on Steam). The gameplay's just so great and polished plus it looks gorgeous on iPad. Hard to imagine that this came from the 3DS. Curious to see what price they'll settle on and if I'll be able to transfer my save from this to the game I'll buy on the App Store (iCloud?)

PittaGAF

Also, at least for my tastes, 2D and touch screens are a match in heaven. (Love Heist perspective).

Not to put salt in the bruises but...Darkest Dungeon.

PittaGAF

The devs told nothing about this so I guess it's fine if we talk about SteamWorld Heist without being too specific.

HOLY SHIT THIS THING IS AWESOME.

I admit I never really looked into the game before, not being that fan of the steam robots setting (Alien-esque setting next!!!) but just wow it's awesome.
Seems simple at first but after a bit it really picks up and you are coordinating your characters on multiple levels....and everything is so sleek and gorgeous and detailed and colorful....I'm speechless.

In love with the bar music too.
And still unsure what those hats actually do.

It's pretty clear the game must be imminent, because the level of polish is outstanding.

Other testers sharing the same emotions?
It really took me off guard....it's SO FUN.

The devs told nothing about this so I guess it's fine if we talk about SteamWorld Heist without being too specific.

I admit I never really looked into the game before, not being that fan of the steam robots setting (Alien-esque setting next!!!) but just wow it's awesome.
Seems simple at first but after a bit it really picks up and you are coordinating your characters on multiple levels....and everything is so sleek and gorgeous and detailed and colorful....I'm speechless.
Oh yeah, grabbed the game earlier in the year on PC, and I was really surprised by how good it was. Those ricocheting headshots are so satisfying

Heel

In love with the bar music too.
And still unsure what those hats actually do.

It's pretty clear the game must be imminent, because the level of polish is outstanding.

Other testers sharing the same emotions?
It really took me off guard....it's SO FUN.

My GLORIOUS radar just went off, Pitta. Gonna have to check it out. :)

awp69

I guess I was unsuccessful in convincing anyone to give the GLORIOUS (Pitta needs to trademark this...otherwise I will continue to steal it ;) ) Ire: Blood Memory reboot a try?

I guess I was unsuccessful in convincing anyone to give the GLORIOUS (Pitta needs to trademark this...otherwise I will continue to steal it ;) ) Ire: Blood Memory reboot a try?

I downloaded it, but I won't be able to play it till later. So you got half a person, I guess?

I played the original for a bit, but I kinda fell off the wagon. Why did they reboot it?

awp69

I downloaded it, but I won't be able to play it till later. So you got half a person, I guess?

I played the original for a bit, but I kinda fell off the wagon. Why did they reboot it?

For whatever reason the devs never seemed happy with the first effort and don't think they made money off of it (which begs to question why they spent so much effort on it again).

But they've done an amazing job with the new version. I didn't think progress, gems, equipment or gold would carry over but it has.

Does it still have an energy mechanic and an always online requirement?

Still has only online, unfortunately. The only energy mechanic that I'm aware of are certain areas of the game that you can replay for rewards. Little unclear on this in the reboot.

But from the actual quest portion of the game, I don't think there is or ever has been an energy mechanic. Or maybe I just haven't hit it?

I also got past the part (chapter 4, part 13) where I struggled with in the old version for the first time so it seems balance may have been tweaked to make it a little less punishing.

--

For what it's worth, I always loved the game so I am a bit biased but I do think it's worthy of giving it another try if you played before or just grabbing it for the first time.

It's so much better than all the other crappy F2P ARPGs IMO.

Sure, I'd love it to be premium and offline but it would be mistake to assume it is like all the other freemium RPGs on the App Store.

For whatever reason the devs never seemed happy with the first effort and don't think they made money off of it (which begs to question why they spent so much effort on it again).

But they've done an amazing job with the new version. I didn't think progress, gems, equipment or gold would carry over but it has.

Still has only online, unfortunately. The only energy mechanic that I'm aware of are certain areas of the game that you can replay for rewards. Little unclear on this in the reboot.

But from the actual quest portion of the game, I don't think there is or ever has been an energy mechanic. Or maybe I just haven't hit it?

--

For what it's worth, I always loved the game so I am a bit biased but I do think it's worthy of giving it another try if you played before or just grabbing it for the first time.

It's so much better than all the other crappy F2P ARPGs IMO.

Sure, I'd love it to be premium and offline but it would be mistake to assume it is like all the other freemium RPGs on the App Store.
Sounds intriguing, I'll download it to see if it's at least a little better than the original.

awp69

Speaking of rebooting, anyone brave enough to try Zodiac again?

Don't think they ever released even a second chapter, did they? Last time I checked, even their forum hadn't had an update in like a year.

That mess left too much of a butt hurt that I'm not sure I'd want to give the dev another chance.

Jarsonot

Downloading now!

Edit: anyone here back that Sword of Fargoal 2 kickstarter? My wife and I really like the first game, and I've been looking forward to the sequel ever since I found out about it. Unfortunately I didn't find out about it until after the kickstarter, but seeing as how late they are maybe that's a good thing, heh.

I know this is a back project for them- they have other jobs to pay the bills, but they've recently-ish released a more polished beta, so it's not a dead project. I emailed them today asking about it, hope to hear good news. Anyone else familiar with these games?

Does anyone have a good list of well done iOS titles that are based off of console/handheld/PC franchises or are ports of existing games? I'm thinking in the vein of Grjm Fandango, PAC-Man 256, Hitman Go, etc.

Does anyone have a good list of well done iOS titles that are based off of console/handheld/PC franchises or are ports of existing games? I'm thinking in the vein of Grjm Fandango, PAC-Man 256, Hitman Go, etc.
A lot of indie ports are great. FTL, Door Kickers, World of Goo, This War of Mine, Hexcells series, Human Resource Machine, Legend of Grimrock

If you're looking for adventure games, Samorost 3, Lumino City, Tormentum, and Primordia are all great

I was actually thinking of getting The Quest since I'm going skip on Banner Saga for now. How good is it for someone who hasn't played a WRPG in years?
It's old school WRPG, so it's probably like the WRPGs you remember :p

Closest thing to classic Elder Scrolls on mobile

So, you haven't played Divinity Origin Sin or The Age of Decadence on PC?

It's old school WRPG, so it's probably like the WRPGs you remember :p

Closest thing to classic Elder Scrolls on mobile

So, you haven't played Divinity Origin Sin or The Age of Decadence on PC?
I've played Divinity and stuff like Pillers of Eternity, I was more talking about the first person Dungeon Crawler games that The Quest mimics. I have fond memories of playing Daggerfall back in the day.

Boney

Banned
I was actually thinking of getting The Quest since I'm going skip on Banner Saga for now. How good is it for someone who hasn't played a WRPG in years?
This has been my first "old school" style wrpg, since I've never been much of a PC gamer, but in familiar with the design process and the tropes.

It has been a great experience. There's no headaches involving stats but it doesn't dumb it down because of that. There's some pretty good density of quests available at all times with a handy quest list menu that has the information transpired and the leads collected, and there's no dumb map or dotted lines that dumbs exploration. Usually there's interesting forks on quests and it's easy to fail them if you try to trick them, so there's a nice sense of realism there. It's also not grindy at all, I'm a Thief and have been managing combat almost without trouble, it's turn based without much to it, but it's fun to do some dungeon crawling or having to worry about ambushes. Learning magic is easy and cheap so you're not fucked as a magic user and there's a fun element at manually trying your hand at alchemy with the books at your disposal. It also autos saves everytime you talk to somebody so usually you're not going to lose much progress if you end up dying.

it's pretty good, it moves at a very fast pace but it feels like a pretty large world. Plays great on my iPhone 6 without any trouble reading and has vertical and landscape mode. It's a pretty cheap buy for a pretty engrossing experience. I suppose somebody very familiar might find it a little "been there done that" but it has an elegant design to it and it's a comfortable return to the genre. It has pretty good reviews even on steam and it's pretty cheap. Jump in!

Square Enix has a lot of content, mainly ports or "remakes" of 16 bit rpg's and FF7 and 9 as well. All of the GO series from Eidos are great as well.

SEGA has sonic 1, 2 and cd that play great due to just having the one jump button and how momentum heavy they are, Crazy Taxi also plays great.

Capcom has Monster Hunter FU which apparently world well with touch controls but I haven't tried it (supports MFi obvs). Ghost Trick looks great but I'm not sure how compatibility is right now. Pheonix Wright Trilogy (yuck version with missing animations) and PW5 are in. There's also Ghosts and Goblins and Megaman X but I'm not brave enough to try them.

There's a lot of PC games there, Lucas Arts point and click, CRPG's like Baldur Gate and some EA stuff.

Pixel from Cave Story has Kero Blaster which plays brilliantly with the touch controls as well.

awp69

I've played Divinity and stuff like Pillers of Eternity, I was more talking about the first person Dungeon Crawler games that The Quest mimics. I have fond memories of playing Daggerfall back in the day.

Have you played Legend of Grimlock? That's a great choice and very well done port in the classic first person dungeon crawler vein.

Figure it'd be better to ask here than make a new thread, what are some good building/ management games for iOS? Along the lines of SimCity. Ideally not F2P, I've been itching to get back into Fallout Shelter but I got bored of it pretty quickly last time, I'm hoping there's something with a little more to it that doesn't incentivize microtransactions.

awp69

BTW, if you have played Ire before, make sure you check your inbox in the game. Not sure what it was for but I had about 2,500 gems in mine. And it's $10 for 1,000 gems. I'm more than good on currency for a long while.

nikos

Puzzle
The Room series
Hexcell series
Perfect Paths
Unmatch
Icebreaker
Helsing's Fire
RYB
Snakebird
Telepaint
Touchtone
Hero Emblems
Blockwick 2
Shapist
Makenines
Supersharp
Swapperoo
Rop
Voi
Concrete Jungle
Twisted Lines
Huetopia
Zip Zap

Adventure/Interactive Fiction/Word
Lumino City
Sorcery series
80 Days
Ryan North's To Be Or Not To Be
Heavy Metal Thunder
Samorost 3
Tormentum
Hadean Lands
Blackbar
Grayout
Dead Synchronicity
Open Sorcery
Spell Rift
1979 Revolution
Love You To Bits

Action/Arcade
Space Marshals 2
Sky Force Reloaded
Wayward Souls
Downwell
A Ride Into The Mountains
99 Bricks
Circa Infinity
Leap of Fate
Hyperburner
Barrier X
Chameleon Run
The Light Inside Us
Blown Away: Secret of the Wind
Power Hover

Roguelike/Card games
Enyo
Imbroglio
Reigns
Solitarica
Dream Quest
Frost
868-Hack
Card Quest
Road Not Taken
Hyperrogue
Crypt of the Necrodancer
Guild of Dungeoneering
Pixel Dungeon

RPG/Tactical/Strategy
Galactic Keep
Ember
Door Kickers
Siralim 2
Empire: Deck Building Strategy
Autumn Dynasty Warlords
Lost Frontier
Warbits
7 Mages
9th Dawn 2
Battlelore Command
Subterfuge
Severed
Dungeon Warfare
Redcon
This War of Mine
Teeny Titans
Rebuild 3
Dungeon of the Endless

Racing
Horizon Chase
Rush Rally 2

Other
Dark Echo
A Dark Room
Verreciel
Beacon 38

Thanks for this list! Going to check out the ones I haven't heard of right now.

it's why i suggest playing Battle Royale (90% of my gametime is here)

it strips away everything except the cool team fights & pushing forward

Had some fun with Battle Royale, I should get back into it.

Top Bottom