• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IQIYI's upcoming 2023 flagship VR headset to have similar display tech as Apple's headset. With a resolution increase of more than 50%

https://www.vrtuoluo.cn/535743.html
According to foreign media news, Apple MR will bring significant innovations in both hardware and content, and adopt a series of technologies provided by core component suppliers. Among them, in the most critical aspects of optics and display, the golden combination of Pancake folding optical path design + Micro-OLED microdisplay (also known as silicon-based OLED, OLED on silicon, which is a combination of semiconductor technology and OLED technology) will be adopted.

Coincidentally, recently, some sources in the XR supply chain revealed that domestic XR manufacturer iQiyi Qiyu’s next-generation MR flagship new product will also adopt the Micro-OLED display technology solution, and the resolution may increase by more than 50%. Considering that the current Pancake folding optics has become the standard configuration of the flagship, Qiyu’s next-generation MR new product may be highly consistent with Apple MR in the core optics and display design.

Previously, Wang Kai, vice president of Dream Blossom Technology, revealed that the new flagship product of Qiyu MR will be released in April. If nothing else, Qiyu MR will become the first batch of consumer-grade MR products equipped with Micro-OLED on the market earlier than Apple.
As we all know, the display screen is one of the most important determinants of the immersive experience of XR users. From the perspective of the evolution trend of XR terminal display panels, after AMOLED and ordinary LCD, Fast-LCD has become the darling of mainstream XR equipment in recent years with better PPI and price advantages. From 2023 onwards, the display solution will be further iterated, and industry leaders such as Apple and Qiyu have begun to use Micro-OLED to improve display performance.

From AMOLED to Fast-LCD, and then to Micro-OLED, XR has put forward higher requirements for display technology, and the display technology route is also gradually advancing. Micro-OLED microdisplay devices have the excellent characteristics of OLED self-luminescence, thinness, lightness, large viewing angle, short response time, high luminous efficiency, etc., and it is easier to achieve high PPI (pixel density), small size, easy to carry, low power consumption and other applications effect, especially suitable for near-eye display devices. Compared with the Fast-LCD currently used in mainstream XR products, Micro-OLED has great advantages in terms of brightness, contrast, response time, power consumption, and volume, and is also a new choice for XR hardware display solutions.

XR industry veterans pointed out that in the short and medium term, Mini-LED backlight Fast-LCD will become the main driving force for the rapid development of the XR industry with its cost-effective advantages and production capacity guarantee. And when the product develops to a higher end, Micro-OLED is expected to become a more mainstream choice. Qiyu’s next-generation flagship MR is benchmarked against Apple’s MR, which costs $3,000, and adopts the Micro-OLED solution in the technical route. From this, we can also boldly judge that the former’s new product may move closer to high-end, which also means that its Size and weight, hardware configuration, product experience and many other aspects will bring a qualitative leap, worth looking forward to!
1679649590916%E5%9B%BE%E7%89%871.png

Now if you remember, this companies sub-brand Qinyu announced it was launching it's headset in April to beat Apple to the market by two months. It seems that between this and other recent moves, the upcoming Qinyu Mix 2023, is going to have similar specs to what has been rumored for Apple in most cases. With image displays having a 50% increase.

It would be quite hilarious if Apple launches at $3000 and Qinyu Mix releases at like $600 with similar specs but Chinese location advantage and less metal/other expenses. Although, Apple is said to be using custom tech for the display and chips so we will have to see how far ahead it really is, but if this company, or even Samsung can get close (or better in some areas if possible) at a lower price that may be a big problem for Apple.

As for the Qinyu mix headset, they use the same teaser image as before. Seems like more of a face mask than a headset, would be impressive if true as that would be a more comfortable form factor.

Well, I don’t know … even if it would exactly match the specs – without good software/integration, it won’t appeal to clients. So, can they compete in that space with Apple?

A.Romero

I mean, unless Apple fucks up I don't see them not releasing something that is unpaired in the market. And this is coming from someone that has 0 Apple products.

Apple can charge whatever they want for their products and a lot of people will buy them, that alone opens them a lot of opportunities. Afterwards the market will copy/follow. Just as it happened with music players and phones. Were there other players before the iPod? Yes. Were they cheaper but offered a reasonable set of features? Yes. Still, iPod became the norm.

I mean, unless Apple fucks up I don't see them not releasing something that is unpaired in the market. And this is coming from someone that has 0 Apple products.

Apple can charge whatever they want for their products and a lot of people will buy them, that alone opens them a lot of opportunities. Afterwards the market will copy/follow. Just as it happened with music players and phones. Were there other players before the iPod? Yes. Were they cheaper but offered a reasonable set of features? Yes. Still, iPod became the norm.

Sandisk had it's own clones as well for some time, but yes that is something that Apple has done multiple times.

However, in this case it may be a coin flip because continuity applications within VR and MR, and motion controls without controllers are what Apple seems to be primarily banking on. If these are a hit, than what you say may happen again, if it's mixed or worse, than a cheaper option doing the same thing may under cut them.

However, since with THIS company specifically, they are rushing out a product to beat Apple to the market, I have to question what quality their headset is going to be in before I wonder if they can undercut Apple. As with the first thread linked in the OP, they want to beat Apples headset announcement by two months. I get the need to try and beat Apple in case they show something that has everyone go nuts, but I also think there's a line between rushing a poor product and having a product out before it's too late.

Especially when it is known that the Apple device comes two months later. Who would invest in it only to have it first (apart from the price, but that has nothing to do with the release date)

Top Bottom