• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iron Man VR doesn’t have the loading time issue in Quest 2 version

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

The most notable change (or least noticeable, depending on how you look at it) is the very short loading times. On PSVR, Iron Man VR was notorious as a fantastic experience let down by unfathomably long load screens. While the Camouflaj team was happy with the general response to the PSVR release, the load times were one area that always remained problematic, limited by the PS4’s old hard drive technology. “We wish we could have done more when it came to the load times [on PSVR]” said Payton. “But it wasn’t due to a lack of effort.”

Thanks to the flash storage on Quest 2, this is no longer a problem. The solid state flash storage makes all the difference, with cinematics and missions loading in a matter of seconds. You’ll forget it was even an issue. “We had discussions whether or not we even need a load screen for some of the missions,” said Payton. “It’s so fast, why do we even need to show the player that the game is loading?”

The previous generation not having SSDs was a real missed opportunity.

Single-handily held the generation back and is similarly holding the current gen back with cross-gen.

That's why people are angry about cross-gen because it's basically taking us back to PS3/360 era, not just PS4/X1. While the games don't run on PS3/360, the games are made the same way and as a result there simply hasn't been a significant upgrade in game design in almost 20 years.

Super excited about what PCIE5/6 can do for next-next-gen, but we need to let the PS4/X1 die as soon as possible.

Romulus

I didn't even realize the quest 2 had an SSD. In terms of framerates it's probably one of the most impressive mobile units I've seen for the price point.
Yes the loading times were the biggest complaint, but I would argue being completely wireless and having true 360 control is even more impressive

Last edited:
In fairness to the developers, they did reduce the load times in an update, but they were still painful on a PS4.

Reducing them any further would have led to in-game stuttering, the last thing you want in a VR game.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I didn't even realize the quest 2 had an SSD. In terms of framerates it's probably one of the most impressive mobile units I've seen for the price point.
Yes the loading times were the biggest complaint, but I would argue being completely wireless and having true 360 control is even more impressive

Did you think it had a hard drive? Heh.

The PSVR version was a pain also because it’s a roomscale standing VR game and the jungle of cables hanging off your head were annoying. Will grab the Quest version for sure.
Cable from your back, between your legs and VOILA, no issues. Cable is long enough to lie flat on the floor under a small rug. That's what I did and I left a bit of room for moving around.

Never had an issue this way.

And its just 1 cable.... So dont blow it out of proportion...

Last edited:

Resenge

Cable from your back, between your legs and VOILA, no issues. Cable is long enough to lie flat on the floor under a small rug. That's what I did and I left a bit of room for moving around.

Never had an issue this way.

And its just 1 cable.... So dont blow it out of proportion...
I agree its not a problem but I have to backup ManaByte here. VR headsets without a cable is so freeing. I have multiple headsets most with wires but always notice the wire when I use the PSVR and it is annoying especially after using a wireless headset.

I am still looking forward to the PSVR2 and even though it has a wire it is not a deal breaker in any way.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Last edited:
Top Bottom