• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is a new PC a better choice than a next gen console?

Get a PS4 and PC to get best of all worlds. Cheap games for PC all the time and console exclusives and otherwise must-plays for PS4. It's a win-win-win-win.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I had a long rant written but in the end I decided just to post this: http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=679&card2=675

It compares the HD7970 GHz Edition and the HD7770, the equivalent of which will appear in XO. You have to literally be unable to comprehend numbers to think, after seeing this, that the XO can ever approach the performance of the HD7970 GHz Ed., available since, oh, the summer of last year.

I'm really not disagreeing with your point. I'm saying that folks have no idea how tight something like a PS4 is built. We're already seeing some amazing games and we haven't even scratched any surface of the potential.

I do agree with your points on paper though.

Get a PS4 and PC to get best of all worlds. Cheap games for PC all the time and console exclusives and otherwise must-plays for PS4. It's a win-win-win-win.

I've never really understood the argument that says only PC over all, you cut yourself off from too much.

I could not have a happy gaming life if there's a God of War, Gears or Uncharted that I couldn't play.

I'm actually going to go PC first this time around. There are so many games I haven't played that I want to play the PC version of (example witcher 2).

I think next gen consoles won't really jump off with anything amazing for another 6 -12 months so I can wait on that regard. I think the price of entry is worth it, I only intend on spending like $700 on my next build anyway and that should tie me over for some years.

A PC is different from a console just like a phone is different from a tablet, or any other similar comparison.

In other words, I will upgrade my PC and get next gen consoles, among other things. It's not mutually exclusive.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I've never really understood the argument that says only PC over all, you cut yourself off from too much.

I could not have a happy gaming life if there's a God of War, Gears or Uncharted that I couldn't play.
The same could be said of sticking to one brand of console and that is far more rampant.

bomblord

Banned
Killzone runs at 30 fps, just at the beginning. Generations usually START with good performance, then dwindle as developers pull out so many code to the metal "tricks" that the games start playing like Crysis 3 and The Last of Us.

Ok this is off the topic but can we not use the term "code to the metal" it makes it sound like something it is not.

The term optimize is a lot better I'm sorry this is just a pet peeve of mine.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Killzone runs at 30 fps, just at the beginning of the generation. Generations usually START with good performance (MGS2), then dwindle as developers pull out so many code to the metal "tricks" to get better back-of-the-box looks that the games start playing like Crysis 3 and The Last of Us (or, for the sake of parallelism, MGS3).

There is something great to be said for the efficiency that a fixed configuration allows, however it is vastly exaggerated in discussions like these.
I was shocked how few shits SSM gave about performance in God of War Ascension. It was a damn shame because I enjoyed the game a lot more than 3.

erick

Banned
I'm really not disagreeing with your point. I'm saying that folks have no idea how tight something like a PS4 is built. We're already seeing some amazing games and we haven't even scratched any surface of the potential.

I do agree with your points on paper though.

Well, you can think of this like that - up until now all the AAA games are basically multiplats, which means they have to run on either or both of the last gen consoles. That sets some pretty harsh limitations from day 1, where you pretty much have to omit all game design and graphics features that will bring the little boxes to single digit fps.

What you are left with is a rather cut-down game and engine, and then to make it look good at trade shows / on PC you have to upgrade some of the assets a bit like textures, add some more post-processing effects etc, which is basically only superficial polish to the underlying handicapped game, and in general leave it up to the PC modding community to bring your game up to the acceptable level of quality (see GTA IV, Skyrim, Fallout 3, Dark Souls 2 etc).

So then you get to develop for something that is pretty much equal to the average gaming PC of 2012! Suddenly whole new vistas of game design and graphics features open up!

So that's what you're seeing happen :) And if you take those same games and make them multiplat, the PC version will be epic straight out of the box, as the code is so, so similar to PC, but the PC now has even more power so the game scales up extremely well. 1080p @ 30 fps becomes 1080p @ 60 fps with 16xFXAA etc. Everybody wins and is happy and gets to finally play games with AAA graphics that exhibit more complex level design than just a tunnel with some turns from point A to point B. :)

PS4 + PC is the best combo if one can afford it next gen

Depends on the value you place on the exclusives. For my part the only exclusives I couldn't have gone without with the Ps3 were MGS4, Uncharted 2, and TLoU, the latter of which didn't come out until the very end of the generation. TLoU was a top 10 game of the generation for me but I don't think it was worth the money I put up for the system.

This is all subjective, but I think a PC + 3DS combo may be my thing this gen.

This would never work for me. All my friends are getting a ps4...so I'm not about to build a gaming pc then play with strangers. With my ps3,ps4, and vita i dont have any time to give to pc gaming

Boss Man

I think it'd be a terrible idea to build a new PC right now. Wait a few years in before you do that. You're going to be spending three times the money and your BF4 might not even look any better than Killzone.

You could build a decent PC to run this gen's games really well (and for cheap on Steam) and catch up on any PC exclusives and indie games you missed out on though.

Granted, this is assuming all you care about is getting the best value from a pure gaming perspective. I just definitely don't think the time to build a new PC is at the beginning of a console generation.

aeolist

Banned

it's not hard, some people (like me) just don't give a shit about games like that

sony-exclusive indie stuff looks better but 1-2 $15 games aren't enough to sell me on a console

MutFox

Banned
I'm going primarily PC next gen...
All the new consoles feel weak and more of the same.

Plus all multi-platform games will be better on PC.
Even if it's a bad port, the community will fix it and make it the best version.
Though recently, bad ports are becoming less and less of an issue.

Also, my PC is 5 years old and still plays everything fine,
and It'll still play everything fine a few years from now too...

People saying it's expensive to be in PC gaming are looking in the wrong places...
It's actually cheaper to be a PC gamer.

Needless to say, I'll probably get a console when they have a good library of games. (PS4/Wii U)
Which will take a few years, with the PC, it already has the best library of games...

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Killzone runs at 30 fps, just at the beginning of the generation. Generations usually START with good performance (MGS2), then dwindle as developers pull out so many code to the metal "tricks" to get better back-of-the-box looks that the games start playing like Crysis 3 and The Last of Us (or, for the sake of parallelism, MGS3).

Hell, a lot of these late-gen games render at lower resolutions just to squeeze more effects into the game, giving you shitty IQ on your actual television on top of the crap performance that miraculously doesn't show up in the downsampled bullshots and dev kit videos you see before you buy the game.

There is something great to be said for the efficiency that a fixed configuration allows, however it is vastly exaggerated in discussions like these.
PS2 has no bearing on PS4 though. Hindsight is always 20/20 but it's rather preemptive to call it like that at this time.

Well, you can think of this like that - up until now all the AAA games are basically multiplats, which means they have to run on either or both of the last gen consoles. That sets some pretty harsh limitations from day 1, where you pretty much have to omit all game design and graphics features that will bring the little boxes to single digit fps.

What you are left with is a rather cut-down game and engine, and then to make it look good at trade shows / on PC you have to upgrade some of the assets a bit like textures, add some more post-processing effects etc, which is basically only superficial polish to the underlying handicapped game, and in general leave it up to the PC modding community to bring your game up to the acceptable level of quality (see GTA IV, Skyrim, Fallout 3, Dark Souls 2 etc).

So then you get to develop for something that is pretty much equal to the average gaming PC of 2012! Suddenly whole new vistas of game design and graphics features open up!

So that's what you're seeing happen :) And if you take those same games and make them multiplat, the PC version will be epic straight out of the box, as the code is so, so similar to PC, but the PC now has even more power so the game scales up extremely well. 1080p @ 30 fps becomes 1080p @ 60 fps with 16xFXAA etc. Everybody wins and is happy and gets to finally play games with AAA graphics that exhibit more complex level design than just a tunnel with some turns from point A to point B. :)

I don't think the smart design of a PS4 is going to magically make it a high end PC but I definitely get intrigued when I see what studios like Naughty Dog and SSM do with pretty crappy HW in the PS3.

That the limited memory afforded by the split pools.

Pfft, people paying on PC? It's about how many games you have on your Steam account. You can play games on consoles

130 games in backlog in 5 months '._.

scitek

All I can say is that I'll be playing last-gen's games on the same machine as the next-gen ones, and they'll play better each time I upgrade my hardware.

StevieP

Banned
I think it'd be a terrible idea to build a new PC right now. Wait a few years in before you do that. You're going to be spending three times the money and your BF4 might not even look any better than Killzone.

No, I think it will. It's never a bad time to build a good PC. "waiting for the next GPU update" is a game that lasts forever.

At one point in my life sitting down with Gears 1 for a couple hours was about as good as gaming could possibly be... that said, your list of third person action games, two of which are cover shooters that play similarly, makes me a little sad. The games that make you really want to spend extra to get a console should be better and more creative than the state of these three franchises.

Newsflash: That's not the only games I enjoy, they were just examples. Dragon's Crown or Journey isn't coming to PC either.

The same could be said of sticking to one brand of console and that is far more rampant.

A bit more justifiable depending on the genre. If you're interested in Halo, CoD, Battlefield, then it's an easy choice because that's where a lot of players are.

it's not hard, some people (like me) just don't give a shit about games like that

sony-exclusive indie stuff looks better but 1-2 $15 games aren't enough to sell me on a console

To each his own, sure, but I guess I just have more faith on what will be on the platform later. Besides, if that $15 game is Blood Dragon, CoJ:Gunslinger, Journey, etc, then it's more arguable depending on taste. Shit, Resogun is a compelling reason if you like arcade shooters.

petran79

Banned
You got us, we buy games just to make our libraries look pretty.
that's partly true

it is funny though that Steam games that cost 15 $ have the same hype and advertisement as 60 $ console games

It is often the case that the former last more hours than the latter

The number of games on the platform isn't the reason I choose to play my games on it. I prefer to play on console due to ease of use. Of course PC players will say that running PC games is easy, especially with steam but my course with PC games has run sour. There was always inevitably be some sort of issue that you spend about 3 days looking though google searches on how to fix it if you're not knowledgeable enough already to sort the issue yourself, I can't be assed with that.

erick

Banned
Opinable. Specs wise of course but not everyone are available to spend their time to find the optimal configuration.

GeForce Experience does it for you, if you're an Nvidia owner. In any case, setting up a game according to your preference takes just 1-5 minutes and is only problematic to complete noobs, kept in the dark and raised on consoles ;)

FGMPR

Banned
Opinable. Specs wise of course but not everyone are available to spend their time to find the optimal configuration.

I'd be willing to bet that I've spent less time changing graphics settings than console players have had to sit in front of excess loading screens. For every game.

One thing to always consider is that nearly every game you buy for your PC today will run even better on your PC of tomorrow, and even when OS migrations break your old games, there is always a fiercely dedicated fanbase to create software solutions like DOSBox or widescreen patches for games that predate widescreen displays. Meanwhile, your Playstation games will be permanently held back at low framerates, low resolution, and requires you to drag the old hardware out of the basement because its successor won't run the old software at all, cluttering up your living room with even more cables. You will miss out on exclusives, but the only solution there, at least until the PC has an emulation solution many years down the road, is to purchase all platforms which includes the PC anyway. If you are limited by funds and can only afford one platform, the PC should be the goto, longterm option.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
I just put together a new pc a few weeks ago. My last computer was built 8 years ago and even then it wasn't mid range. I have to say, I'm pretty impressed...

Top Bottom