• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is a new PC a better choice than a next gen console?

I love your optimism. You're wrong though. Right now there are single player games that can demonstrably exceed 2GB vRAM usage, BF3 MP on ultra settings being one of the offenders.

I have never gone above 1.5-1.6GB Vram usage on BF3 64 player maps on ultra at 1920x1080.

Marvel

could never
Can't afford a PC that could run the games on settings I would want, plus they don't have the exclusives I adore.

All my friends are on PSN so a console is a no brainer for me at this point in time. Though I will get a PC at some point.

pixlexic

Banned
Probably because i actually am interested in those things. For example BF 3 uses as much VRAM as it can, because of their texture streaming engine, also ultra uses 4x MSAA, which takes at least 400-500mb alone.

And how am i wrong? Console will use max 6gb of ram for games, but mostly 5-5.5. Half of that is max they will be using for pure graphics, rest will be stuff You store in system ram on PC.

a game can load textures in ram but trust me the gpu in the new consoles are not going to render 5 gigs of textures at one time.

it will just hold then until needed. same as holding textures in PCs main memory until needed.

Hastati

Not now. A PC will be worth buying in a year or two when new GPUs come out that blow next gen consoles out of the water.
I agree with this sentiment. I don't think the disparity between console and PC game performance and graphics will be great enough to justify the entry level price difference, if graphics are your thing. I think you will get a great library of games no matter what you pick, so it really comes down to budget, and you're better off saving your money for next or next gen+ cards. I think either console is the best bang for your buck for awhile, especially from a services perspective. Then switch over to PC when Oculus Rift HD Sunglasses and Martini Edition comes out.

KKRT00

a game can load textures in ram but trust me the gpu in the new consoles are not going to render 5 gigs of textures at one time.

it will just hold then until needed. same as holding textures in PCs main memory until needed.

Yyyy? Why are You even telling me this?

puebla

pc gaming is king, my backlog is ridiculous. i have yet to play max payne 3, bioshock infinite, farcry 3, crysis 3. there's more that i don't even remember lol, and all for the cheap. way more bang for your buck on pc.

EVIL

Since the ps4 and the xbone are both souped up pc architectures, I think we will see more pc ports during this generation then the previous.

Superflat

If you already have a somewhat decent PC, upgrading probably wouldn't cost that much, and you could upgrade now, lol. All I need to do for my existing rig is get a new video card, for example.

But my rig with a modest graphics card that can run current gen games on high settings cost around 900 dollars. For a rig that can run next gen games I'm thinking you'll need a grand if you're starting from scratch (including monitor, keyboard/mouse). It's an investment to say the least, and I found it well worth it. But my current rig is as affordable as it was because I bought it last year, very late into this console cycle, so most rigs were able to far outshine consoles by then.

erick

Banned
Probably because i actually am interested in those things. For example BF 3 uses as much VRAM as it can, because of their texture streaming engine, also ultra uses 4x MSAA, which takes at least 400-500mb alone in deferred rendering engine.

And how am i wrong? Console will use max 6gb of ram for games, but mostly 5-5.5. Half of that is max they will be using for pure graphics, rest will be stuff You store in system ram on PC.

I think you will find that in fact the RAM pools will be 66% for vRAM and 33% for sysRAM. It was the same for X360 with its unified RAM. In case of the PS4 that should come out to 3,5GB vRAM.

quest

Not Banned from OT
For me personally I love ND and other Sony studios. I just can't see missing out on uncharted, TLoU, the order 1866 and other Sony games.

owasog

I think you will find that in fact the RAM pools will be 66% for vRAM and 33% for sysRAM. It was the same for X360 with its unified RAM. In case of the PS4 that should come out to 3,5GB vRAM.
With graphics getting better, but gameplay remaining the same, won't the vRAM percentage increase? More like 85% vRAM, 15% sysRAM?

Look at what the current consoles can do with 256 MB sysRAM.

Obscured

How much can you build a decent PC for these days? Are you going to get comparable performance for cost? I know that you will save money on games as time goes on, but is it enough to make up for the initial investment?

I've been wanting to jump back into PC gaming as well, mainly just to have access to the full array of possibilities (I will be picking up both an XB1 and a PS4 for the same reason, although I've skipped Nintendo the past few gens.)

erick

Banned
With graphics getting better, but gameplay remaining the same, won't the vRAM percentage increase? More like 85% vRAM, 15% sysRAM?

Look at what the current consoles can do with 256 MB sysRAM.

I think it's quite possible. 2/3 vRAM and 1/3 sysRAM is a conservative estimate.

kharma45

How much can you build a decent PC for these days? Are you going to get comparable performance for cost? I know that you will save money on games as time goes on, but is it enough to make up for the initial investment?

I've been wanting to jump back into PC gaming as well, mainly just to have access to the full array of possibilities (I will be picking up both an XB1 and a PS4 for the same reason, although I've skipped Nintendo the past few gens.)

Depends on how you define decent and what you want it to do.

RedSwirl

I dunno about that

I was rocking an 8800GT five years ago and it still kicks 360/PS3 in the ass.

Sure I upgraded a couple years afterward, but that was because I wanted to. Not because I had too.

I guess. I bought the same card in 2007 and ended up upgrading in 2011 for The Witcher 2 and Crysis 2. Hell, even Mass Effect 3 will run on that card.

Sendero

The ability to use/create a wide array of MODs (not only official ones) pretty much justifies the PC route, or at least set it as worthy of consideration. Such feature will become critical in the incoming years, as releasing "World sandboxes" seems to be the next-gen fad.

See Watch dogs, DA: Inquisitor, Witcher 3, MGS, ARMA 3.
Or the usual suspects: GTA, Assassin's, TES,Fallout, Saint's Row, etc

Given the scope of those games, most are bound to have a large amount of bugs/issues, that will take several months to fix.

But guess what? in PC, you can look forward to unnofficial patches, or even use Console commands to circumvent them.

And to ALL of those benefits, add the possibility of perpetual back compatibility, portability, free multiplayer, and will sooner or later be able to play all "console exclusives" via emulators anyway. Such a wonderful era to be a PC Gamer..

Mokubba

The ability to use/create a wide array of MODs (not only official ones) pretty much justifies the PC route, or at least set it as worthy of consideration. Such feature will become critical in the incoming years, as releasing "World sandboxes" seems to be the next-gen fad.

See Watch dogs, DA: Inquisitor, Witcher 3, MGS, ARMA 3.
Or the usual suspects: GTA, Assassin's, TES,Fallout, Saint's Row, etc

Given the scope of those games, most are bound to have a large amount of bugs/issues, that will take several months to fix.

But guess what? in PC, you can look forward to unnofficial patches, or even use Console commands to circumvent them.

And to ALL of those benefits, add the possibility of perpetual back compatibility, portability, free multiplayer, and will sooner or later be able to play all "console exclusives" via emulators anyway. Such a wonderful era to be a PC Gamer..

You'll be able to play console exclusives via emulators?

Yea I don't think that will be happening anytime soon

wildfire

Banned
1Eopvak.jpg

Do you think the next gen consoles have the technical capabilities or the ecosystem to disrupt the market like the PS2 did? Will PC ports drop off the cliff once console devs get used to playing with 8gig of RAM?

Or is the PC running the show in terms of innovation and technical capabilities now?

You are misinterpreting what happened.

PC devs were beginning to shift over to console development. Which is why your top 10 cratered as hard as it did.

Look at the last 3 years and genres that simply were made almost exclusively on consoles JRPGs are now being put on the PC. Even Square Enix is considering putting Final Fantasy XV on the PC and I'm waiting on them to fully commit to that to see if I need a console or I can use that money to improve on my PC.

That alone says how much the only thing that matters between consoles and PC are first party exclusives and the upfront cost of a PC + lower prices of its software vs the lower upfront cost of the console + subscription fees for multiplayer if your console isn't a Wii U and the higher prices for software.

KKRT00

I think it's quite possible. 2/3 vRAM and 1/3 sysRAM is a conservative estimate.

Thats the thing, we're going past VRAM being big bottleneck, where sys memory was always bottleneck for game design. Check how much VRAM to system memory ratio is on PC. There is a reason why KZ:SF use only 1.5gb out of 4.5gb for graphics, not because there is ratio 66% to 33%, but because You will need 3gb for other stuff than rendering. Tons of games on PC already take around 3gb memory and more is converting to x64 executable to use around 5gb for game systems.
Also bandwidth limits VRAM usage on rendering.

Sendero

You'll be able to play console exclusives via emulators?
Yea I don't think that will be happening anytime soon
Yes, we will.
Regardless if it takes years, that's still and advantage over Consoles.

And again, that's not even among the most important reasons to make the switch! Even if each point by itself might not critical, when you consider all of them in tandem? yeah..

Jac_Solar

Like a lot of you (I guess) I'm currently weighing up my next-gen options, in a couple of years chances are I'll have convinced myself to buy all the consoles, but for the first 12-24 months all my eggs will be in one basket.

I feel that both launch line ups are pretty lackluster, and of all the stuff slated for 2013 release everything I really want to play will also be out on PC. My PC isn't anywhere near capable of running the likes of Watchdogs at current gen levels let alone next-gen, so the option of investing my money in a new PC instead has become a real possibility.

That got me thinking, what would I miss out on if I put all my console eggs in the PC basket for the next 2 years? Would it be so much stuff that I regretted spending the money? Things seem great now on PC, but how much do console launches affect what gets released on PC?

So I did a little research:

I went back to 1998 (so as to catch multiple system launches), listed the highest reviewed games from metacritic for each year, and picked 10 of what I consider (personal taste warning) to be the ten biggest/most talked about games from each year, the kind of games that you wouldn't want to have missed out on.

I then charted if a PC version was available at around the same time

Here's what I found:

1Eopvak.jpg

Here's the games I used:

Code:
1998			PC	
Zelda: Ocarina of Time	0	
Half Life		1	
Grim Fandango		1	
Thief			1	
Fallout 2		1	
Metal Gear Solid	0	
Baldurs Gate		1	
Starcraft		1	
Banjo Kazooie		0	
Gran Tourismo		0	
Total PC Games		6	

1999			PC	
SoulCalibur		0	
Homeworld		1	
Gran Tourismo 2		0	
Age of Empires II	1	
Alpha Centauri		1	
Sytem Shock 2		1	
Unreal Tournament	1	
Tony Hawk		0	
Planescape: Torment	1	
Freespace 2		1	
Total PC Games		7	

2000			PC	(PS2 Release)
Tony Hawk 2		1	
Perfect Dark		0	
Baldurs Gate 2		1	
Zelda: Majoras Mask	0	
Final Fantasy IX	0	
Jet Grind Radio		0	
SSX			0	
The Sims		1	
Virtua Tennis		0	
The Longest Journey	1	
Total PC Games		4	

2001			PC
GTA 3			0	(Late release)
Tony Hawk 3		0	
Halo			0	
MGS 2			0	
Gran Tourismo 3: A-Spec	0	
Devil May Cry		0	
Paper Mario		0	
Final Fantasy X		0	
Conkers Bad Fur Day	0	
ICO			0	
Total PC Games		0	

2002			PC
Metroid Prime		0	
GTA: Vice City		0	
Splinter Cell		0	
Warcraft 3		1	
Eternal Darkness	0	
Super Mario Sunshine	0	
Medal of Honor		1	
Resident Evil		0	
Battlefield 1942	1	
Morrowind		1	
Total PC Games		4	

2003			PC
Star Wars: KOTOR	0	(Late release)
Virtual Fighter 4	0	
Viewtiful Joe		0	
PoP: Sands of Time	1	
Call of Duty		1	
Ratchet & Clank 2	0	
Panzer Dragoon Orta	0	
PGR 2			0	
Burnout 2		0	
Beyond Good & Evil	1	
Total PC Games		3	

2004			PC	
Half Life 2		1	
GTA: San Andreas	0	
Halo 2			0	
Burnout 3		0	
World of Warcraft	1	
UT 2004			1	
Rome: Total War		1	
Metroid Prime 2		0	
MGS 3			0	
Ninja Gaiden		0	
Total PC Releases	4	

2005			PC	 Xbox 360 Launch
Resident Evil 4		0	
Civilisation IV		1	
God of War		0	
SC: Chaos Theory	1	
Forza			0	
Battlefield 2		1	
Shadow of the Colossus	0	
Guitar Hero		0	
Burnout Revenge		0	
Call of Duty 2		1	
Total PC Releases	4	

2006			PC	
Zelda: TP		0	
Oblivion		1	
Gears of War		0	
Okami			0	
Company of Heroes	1	
Final Fantasy XII	0	
Tom Clancy: GRAW	0	
MGS3: Subsistence	0	
HL2: Episode One	1	
Bully			0	
Total PC Releases	3	

2007			PC       Launch of Steam Community
Super Mario Galaxy	0	
Bioshock		1
The Orange Box		1	
Halo 3			0	
Modern Warfare		1	(Less than a month late)
God of War 2		0	
Rock Band		0	
Mass Effect		0	
Crysis			1	
Uncharted		0	
Total PC Releases	4	

2008			PC	
GTA IV			0	
Little Big Planet	0	
MGS 4			0	
Super Smash Bros. Brawl	0	
Gears of War 2		0	
Fallout 3		1	
Braid			0	
Fable 2			0	
Burnout Paradise	1	
Left 4 Dead		1	
Total PC Releases	3	

2009			PC	
Uncharted 2		0	
Street Fighter IV	0	(Late Release)	
Modern Warfare 2	1	
Forza 3			0	
Batman: Arkham Asylum	1	
Dragon Age: Origins	1	
Killzone 2		0	
Assassins Creed 2	0	
Borderlands		1	
DiRT 2			1	
Total PC Releases	5	

2010			PC	
Super Mario Galaxy 2	0	
Mass Effect 2		1	
Red Dead Redemption	0	
Starcraft 2		1	
God of War III		0	
Halo: Reach		0	
Civilization V		1	
Super Meat Boy		1	(Just over a month late)	
Bioshock 2		1	
Fallout New Vegas	1	
Total PC Releases	6	

2011			PC	
Batman Arkham City	1	
Skyrim			1	
Portal 2		1	
Minecraft		1	
Uncharted 3		0	
Battlefield 3		1	
Gears of War 3		0	
Deus Ex			1	
Dead Space 2		1	
L.A. Noire		0	(Late Release)	
Total PC Releases	7	

2012			PC	
Mass Effect 3		1	
The Walking Dead	1	
Journey			0	
Far Cry 3		1	
Borderlands 2		1	
XCOM			1	
Fez			0	
Diablo III		1	
The Witcher 2		1	
Sleeping Dogs		1	
Total PC Releases	8	

2013 (to date)		PC	
The Last of Us		0	
Bioshock Infinite	1	
DOTA 2			1	
Tomb Raider		1	
Pikmin 3		0	
Saints Row IV		1	
DmC: Devil May Cry	1	
Splinter Cell:Blacklist	1	
Papers, Please		1	
Rogue Legacy		1	
Total PC Releases	8

The data seems to show that consoles have the power to bring the PC market to it's knees. The PS2 era changed what the market thought a good game was, and changed what people wanted from the experience, and no one working on the PC kept up. Over the last 10 years the PC market has adapted and crept back into mainstream relevance, and the PS3 era has failed to be as disruptive to the PC, if anything it fed off of what was happening there.

Do you think the next gen consoles have the technical capabilities or the ecosystem to disrupt the market like the PS2 did? Will PC ports drop off the cliff once console devs get used to playing with 8gig of RAM?

Or is the PC running the show in terms of innovation and technical capabilities now?

What software did you use to make the charts?

Over time? Are you so sure?

We don't yet know what kind of requirements the new generation of PC ports will carry. It seems to me that it would be best to wait until the next round of PC hardware if you're building from scratch.

In 2005, if you built a high-end PC, you weren't going to be set for long. However, if you waited a year or two for the 8 series nVidia cards you were going to be set for years to come.

Will that happen this time? Maybe not, but it's best to wait if you're building new.

I wonder. Look at Battlefield 4. They say the requirements are very similar to BF3, since the same engines and because you can just scale it back. So right there is an example of a next gen game, that won't boost the requirements noticebly at all compared to a 3 year old game!

Serandur

A new PC is a better choice for the enthusiast gamer with even a mildly broad taste in games ranging outside the JRPG genre than either next-gen console. Why? They're open platforms, they have nearly all the games either console has (and can run them better), they're modular/upgradeable, they have free online gaming, they have cheaper games due to competitive digital distribution vendors being able to actually operate on the platform, they're a more personal platform, they have real backwards compatibility ranging back to nearly every gaming-capable machine (including older PCs) from the Wii and older (natively with older Windows games and through emulation for everything else), they are far more flexible (yes, you can use a controller with a PC quite easily and couch gaming only requires the same HDMI cable that would connect a console), PC games can be modded, gaming communities for PC games actually last (so mods and multiplayer servers extend for years), there are more and actually quite unique PC-exclusive games and genres than there are on any given console, the platform does not limit you to the whims of any one corporation, the platform can do everything besides gaming as well and better than any console (including, but not limited to, multitasking, internet browsing, movie/video streaming, video editing, work documents, music-playing, and engineering work), the platform does not restrict content through development license fees or DLC/patch fees or whatever, and finally, a superior PC does not truly cost much more than a console anymore either (online subscriptions and more expensive games with a higher chance of total system failure and extremely limited price cuts even years into the console's life cycle). This is why the PC is a superior platform and thus the better choice, in my opinion.

Obscured

You can spend what you want. But it will cost somewhat more than next gen consoles since the hardware is sold for a profit, unlike non-Nintendo consoles.

For a ground-up rig, around 700 is a starting price probably. Less depending how much performance or certain high end settings matter to you.

Yeah, I figured it would be a bit more, curious about how much more. I've built a PC before, but it was long ago so I am familiar with the infinite spend that could occur. That is a good starting point though, thanks.

Depends on how you define decent and what you want it to do.

This obviously would be very subjective and different for each person, but if I was going this route I would want something beefy enough to be a marked improvement graphically or performance-wise over the XB1 and PS4. I wouldn't necessarily go this route to get PC exclusives (although that would be a nice side benefit), I more likely be getting 1st party on the respective consoles and multiplats on PC, so it would need to be worth it.

To counter this argument you could now say and early adopter pays (Not sure on USD) $500AUD for a PS4 and then each year pay $70AUD for PS+ (say for six years given this gens legs) that equals $920AUD for the console and online subscription. Now lets say you buy one retail game per month on average (some months you might buy two, other months none). Given that console games are easily $20AUD more at least that is an additional $240AUD per year, multiplied by 6 that's $1440AUD.That's a grand total of $2360AUD.

You could easily purchase a decent gaming rig here for $1200AUD. If you really wanted to shop around for PC games from places like Green Man Gaming you could easily get the games for closer to half that of console game prices and then you add in Steam sales where you can get year old retail games for $7AUD.

It's a no brainer. As consoles now are adding pay walls to online the subscription is really adding to the overall cost of the machine. People seem to forget this.

This man gets it.
You can build an entire pc, play a ton of games on it AND fully upgrade it 4 years later for that full generation leap over the current consoles 3 years before the next gen consoles release, and still have money left over.

Console gaming is only cheaper if you don't actually play games AND only play offline.

Daingurse

Better? Objectively you could argue yes, a PC is a better choice. Doesn't necessarily mean PC is for you though, but I don't think you can go wrong down this path. I play everything myself, handhelds, consoles, pc, etc . . . but if I had to give one up, wouldn't be the PC, lol.

owasog

I wonder. Look at Battlefield 4. They say the requirements are very similar to BF3, since the same engines and because you can just scale it back. So right there is an example of a next gen game, that won't boost the requirements noticebly at all compared to a 3 year old game!
Any game also coming out on 360/PS3 is not a real next gen game in my opinion. Who knows what the system requirements will be for Battlefield 5 in 2015?

Nobody knows, and that's why right now is a bad time to buy a new graphics card. My advice for new PC builders: Buy the fastest CPU, the best motherboard and as much memory as you can afford right now. They will last a very long time. Then buy a midrange GPU, just fast enough to play the last console ports of this generation and next year's cross-gen games. Don't waste $500 on 2GB cards that might be outdated very soon.

erick

Banned
Thats the thing, we're going past VRAM being big bottleneck, where sys memory was always bottleneck for game design. Check how much VRAM to system memory ratio is on PC. There is a reason why KZ:SF use only 1.5gb out of 4.5gb for graphics, not because there is ratio 66% to 33%, but because You will need 3gb for other stuff than rendering. Tons of games on PC already take around 3gb memory and more is converting to x64 executable to use around 5gb for game systems.
Also bandwidth limits VRAM usage on rendering.

Crysis 3:

vRAM = ~2GB

vram.jpg

sysRAM = ~1,1GB

ram.jpg

2/3 vRAM and 1/3 sysRAM pool logic holds.

-MD-

If you want to spend three times the money, sure.

PC's will always be ahead of the game, but you need to spend the time and money for it to be worth your while. I can't be arsed with the messing around, tweaking and updating, fuck that!

Plug and play all the way.

I literally put some electronics in my case, plugged it in and played. Not a single issue for over a year. First time ever building one.

And it costs me less than double that of a console, not triple. I run everything on ultra.

KKRT00

Crysis 3:

vRAM = ~2GB

2/3 vRAM and 1/3 sysRAM pool logic holds.

I see it 1.2gb system ram vs 1.3gb VRAM. You still trying to add MSAA to the equation, why?

Actually C3 takes 1.3gb system ram in certain levels, like Dam level, i've just checked that, so its 50:50.

I am confused by all the claims that the consoles will be better/even to a PC for the next two years. These consoles are using HD7790/7850 respectively and most games for the first year are going to be 360/1 ps3/4, so basically not as optimized to the hardware as they could be. So folks using HD7950/GTX660ti or higher are not going to be running multi plats better than these consoles? This is my plan then by fall of next year or spring 2015, by a new GPU.

The only reason I'm not cancelling my PS4 pre-order is because the missus will want to play Kingdom Hearts 3 and Final Fantasy XV, and I'm always down for a game of Tekken. I'm also assuming eventually they'll throw free games at us with PS+. But the thing is, while I've enjoyed playing games on the PS3 and 360, most of those experiences are also on the PC. (Mass Effect, Skyrim, etc.) Most of the exclusives people rave about -- The Last of Us, Journey, God of War, etc -- are games I just didn't enjoy at all.

So I recently got a gaming PC. Nothing too beasty, but enough to last me for about a year before I feel an upgrade will be essential. And it also gives me the added benefit of being able to play Blizzard's offerings, as well as offering me a wonderful selection of indie games. It also provides a great social experience thanks to Steam.

So yea, for me at least, I'd say so. In fact, I could easily see myself going mobile and PC only when it comes to gaming.

Yes, but it has a higher barrier to entry that people are unwilling/unable to get past. Sony had enough exclusives that I cared about with the PS3 that I'm happy to pick up a PS4 as a secondary console, but it is absolutely secondary, and I'm not even sure if I'm going to keep my launch pre-order, since the only launch game I'm interested in that I won't be able to play on PC is Knack. I will surely want one down the line for games like FFXV and Deep Down (assuming that follows Dragon's Dogma in not coming to PC), but is that reason enough to buy one now?

I am confused by all the claims that the consoles will be better/even to a PC for the next two years. These consoles are using HD7790/7850 respectively and most games for the first year are going to be 360/1 ps3/4, so basically not as optimized to the hardware as they could be. So folks using HD7950/GTX660ti or higher are not going to be running multi plats better than these consoles? This is my plan then by fall of next year or spring 2015, by a new GPU.

Those gpus will perform better than the next consoles, got to factor in more than likely a person rocking a 660 or 7950 has a pretty good cpu which the next gen consoles lack then there's the option of oc'ing.

erick

Banned
I see it 1.2gb system ram vs 1.3gb VRAM. You still trying to add MSAA to the equation, why?

I dunno, because image quality? Who the hell plays at without AA? 0_o

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but does anyone think a PC built now will still run games well by 2018?

I have the following system, you tell me:

Xeon E5645 6C/12T 2,4GHz @ 4GHz (~120 GFLOPS)
24GB 1266MHz DDR3 RAM
GTX Titan 6GB
500GB Samsung 840 SSD

6XS5yXh.png

It's the 13th-best rig in NeoGAF Race Your PC Thread 2, and number 1 in the Single-GPU category. I think I can make it.

Lexxon

I see the only way PC doesn't get 50+% of GotY candidates (everything not first party, just about) is if M$ and/or Sony start flexing their muscle$ and start buying out exclusive games and/or content. PC is not really considered a threat in the console wars right now, as you can see with Titanfall (console exclusive, coming out on PC) and all of the indie games Sony announced as console exclusives w/ concurrent or close PC releases at the same time.

I am holding onto my gaming PC for sure, although I've had a decent PC since 2004 when I got into WoW, but I've only been playing my multiplats on PC the last couple years due to Big Picture and better controller support.

KKRT00

I dunno, because image quality? Who the hell plays at without AA? 0_o

You wont see MSAA on consoles. SMAA T2x and FXAA will be standard next-gen and those do not take more than 50mb. Even if they manage to use something similar to SMAA 4x, so with some parts of 2x MSAA resolve, it wont take more than additional 100-120mb.

nkarafo

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but does anyone think a PC built now will still run games well by 2018?
It will need an upgrade (maybe). It depends. But hey, if you buy a console at launch it probably won't run games by 2018 anyway because it will most likely be dead. So, PC users will need a new GFX card and console owners a new console to replace the dead one. In both situations you'll have to spend some extra cash midway through the generation.

Cimarron

But they won't keep modifying the games to meet the low end PC specs while they will with consoles.

try running skyrim on 512mb of Ram on a PC with no dedicated ram for the graphics card.

How old and bottom barrel would you have to have a computer like that!!!! Did they even sell stuff like that back when the hd twins came out?

~Kinggi~

Banned
Pc games have a longer shelf life than console games, and most console games can eventually be played on the PC thanks to emulation. So overall, buying a PC game is a better investment than a console game, and cheaper too.

But console gaming still has its qualities. Im going PS4 + PC next gen

Top Bottom